• Published 28th Mar 2013
  • 676 Views, 17 Comments

New Friendships (My First Fanfic) - Blazer



Atrocious self-insert. Remember to dislike and post hate comments!

  • ...
9
 17
 676

1

I massaged my throbbing hand after dropping the pencil, the accursed World War II essay finally written.

“Can’t believe he made us write it by hand.” I whined. My expression turned from one of sorrow to joy when my thoughts shifted.

“Well, at least I can get to play some ball with Gordon and the others.” I said to myself. Smiling, I strolled over to the closet, pulling on a Pathanaikos shirt and a pair of basketball shorts.

Grabbing my prized Nike Max Airs, I snatched the keys to my 99’ Civic, and threw my extra shirt and shoes in the trunk. My sister, who had been working on her times tables, followed me out the door. “Where’re you going?” She asked, watching me throw a basketball in there as well.

I knelt next to her, looking up at her confused face. “Heading out to play some basketball. Wanna come?”

She shook her head. “Your friends are too weird. They kinda scare me.”

I winced a little, saddened that she felt that way about my best friends. “They’re not so bad, once you get to know them. They really like you.” I said comfortingly.

She looked down, shaking her head. “I’ll stay home. I can’t even throw the ball in the hoop anyways.”

Seeing her depressed always made me die a little inside. After all, she would be home alone for at least a few hours with my dad, who did nothing more than watch weird movies on Netflix that she wasn’t old enough to watch yet.

Remembering her favorite show, I decided to make a compromise. “Well, if I record the new episode of Season 2, I can watch it with you later. Will that cheer you up?”

Her face suddenly blossomed with a huge smile. “Really??” She asked.

I nodded. “It’s a promise.”

She gave me a big hug, squeezing extra tight. “Thanks, Keith!!”

I gave her a little squeeze back. “As long as you’re awake when I get back, kay?”

~~~

I slammed the trunk closed, carrying my extra clothes and a basketball to the gym.

Gordon was playing a game of 1-on-1 against my twin brother when I walked in. He nodded to me as I sat down. “Think I can get by him with one crossover?”

I shook my head, untying my Nike Max Airs. “He’s gotten a lot better. It’d take at least four attempts.”

Alex laughed a little. “No favoritism, now.”

I stood tall, stretching my triceps by pulling my arm across my front.

“Not favoritism, I just have confidence in him”

Gordon attacked, driving directly towards the basket. However, Bryan was between him and the basket the whole way, barring his path. Gordon began spewing profanities, attempting again and again to get past the new-and-improved Bryan. It wasn’t long before he bounced the ball off of his foot, giving Bryan the chance he needed. A quick fast-break to the opposing basket, and it was all over.

“7-6, that’s game.” Bryan panted, grabbing his water bottle from the bleachers.

Gordon wiped his face with a towel. He slumped down next to Bryan while talking to me. “What did you do to him??” He asked.

I shrugged. “Nothing. He just signed up for soccer this year, and learned proper footwork. He leads with his feet instead of his arms now.”

Gordon shook his head in disbelief. “I knew he wasn’t studying for his tests like he was supposed to.” He said.

Ian set the new scoreboard on the table. He plugged it in, setting the clock for twenty minutes. “We’re playing best of three, so whoever wins two games wins the tourney.” He explained.

“Twenty minute halves?” Shaun protested. I nodded. “It’s going to be a long night.”

~~~

Pulling into the driveway, I shut off the headlights.

I wearily trudged up the steps to the door, fumbling with the keys. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw my sister in her pajamas, the videotape in her hands.

“You promised.” She reminded me.

I sighed mentally, as I reeked of more than just sweat. My sister didn’t seem to mind, or maybe was just too excited to notice. But I did promise her I’d watch it as soon as I got home.

I pulled the videotape from her hands, smiling. “Let’s watch it in my room.”

She almost jumped for joy. “Yay!” She cried.

After a quick application of some deodorant, I popped the VHS into the TV. The theme song rolled over the various ponies featured in the show.

My Little Pony.

~~~

The episode was actually a one-hour long special. It featured a new villain, Discord, who had split up the “fellowship” that was once the main protagonist’s group of friends. Obviously, they came back in the end and recaptured the meaning of true friendship.

The video ended, and switched to the quiet buzzing of static. My sister had fallen asleep, her small body warm against my side.

Not wanting to wake her up, I got up from my bed, slowly draping the covers over her.

Without further ado, I began tiptoeing out of the room, as my ankles had a reputation of making random loud cracks when I walked, as I didn’t want to be compromised.

I was about to touch the power button for the TV when something stopped me. A pixilated appendage put itself between my finger and the button.

I was about to yell out in surprise when another appendage latched onto my shoulder, and pulled me forward into the screen.

Losing all balance whatsoever, I tumbled forward into the screen, reaching out frantically for anything to grab on to. It was in vain, however, as I tumbled helplessly for what seemed like hours, until a huge pressure built up in my head, snuffing out my consciousness.

~~~

A harsh light berated my eyelids for remaining closed, piercing the thin flesh and harassing my eyeball. I opened my eyes, the intense glare making me squint. Slowly sitting up, I took in my surroundings.

I was located in what seemed to be a clearing in a sparse forest. Soft grass extended out into the limited foliage, while birds and squirrels darted around, singing and scavenging for any seeds or acorns that had fallen from the trees nearby.

Some large mountains loomed far in the distance, their snowcaps looking like clouds in the clear skies. A small town was visible on a large plain ahead. I couldn’t really see anyone walking around there, but I decided to check it out.

I stood up on all fours, grabbing my…

Wait a second…

I slowly looked down, praying that the worst had not just happened.

Two hooves were in place of my hands. Horrified, I looked back at my haunch, a silvery white tail and what appeared to be a basketball emblazoned on my side. A tuft of the same white hair sat atop my head, and my favorite Element cap sat on the ground in front of me.

“N-no way…” I said slowly.

“CAN SOMEPONY TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED?!?!” I cried.

I covered my mouth, completely shocked at what I said. “Now I talk like them too?!”

I spotted a small pond of water nearby. I rushed over to its edge, gazing at the reflection on the silvery surface.

A young-faced pony with a creamy orange coat stared back at me. I backed away from the pool, shaking my head. The possibilities of how this had happened were flying out the window, one by one, as I went through them. One final explanation came to my fevered brain.

Maybe this is a dream!! Maybe this is just one crazy…

Suddenly, a ringing noise invaded my ears, disorienting me. “W-what’s going on?!” I stumbled head-over-hooves, my front hooves covering my ears. I continued to stumble, falling flat on my…

~~~

…face. I stood up quickly, patting myself down. I looked back to see my sister sleeping soundly on the bed. Confused, I looked at her, then at the TV, which had a huge crack running down the middle.

The videotape had ejected almost all of the snake-like film onto the floor, giving my carpet an Indiana Jones-esque touch.

I looked at my hands, sweat dripping down my brow.

“It… seemed so real.”

I looked at the film strewn on the ground, then at the TV again.

...Not a dream.