• Published 1st Apr 2013
  • 581 Views, 11 Comments

I Wanna Be The Mare!: The Movie: The Game: The Fanfic - Grandosco



When a crazy and dangerous curse sweeps over the land, it's up to Scootaloo to stop it! Does she have what it takes to become The Mare?

  • ...
2
 11
 581

Chapter 1: They're More Like Giant Cherries

The town square was abuzz with excitement. Everypony in town was asked to convene here for some mysterious reason. All they knew is that it was by royal decree, but they were not told why. School was let out early that day, all work was cancelled, and the presence of every single pony was mandated for 3:00pm. It was currently 2:55, and the crowd dwarfed the large Town Hall building easily. The sounds of hoofsteps and voices were the only things that could be heard. All sorts of questions were being asked, such as 'Why are we here?', 'What's going on?', 'Has Discord gone on another rampage?', and 'Where's the food? I was told there would be free food!' All those and more.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders were also in the crowd. They had been in school learning about fruit-bearing trees and how to grow them properly. Apple Bloom's presentation had been cut short however, when a royal guard had burst in and told them all that school had been cancelled for a very important meeting. The sound of the cheers were matched only by teacher Cheerilee's confused look, as well as the groans when the guard then told them that nopony was exempt from this meeting, and to wait in the town square. The CMC trotted over, thoroughly dreading the thought of having to sit through a boring meeting.

“I thought meetings were only for boring adults!” Scootaloo said, kicking a pebble as she walked by.

“I thought so, too,” replied Apple Bloom, “but it must be somethin' purty important to cancel school like that.”

“I hope so,” Sweetie Bell chimed in, “Miss Cheerilee looked really miffed at that guard pony when we started leaving.” They made their way over to the ever-growing crowd, and tried to look for somepony to tell them what was going on. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell were looking for their sisters, Applejack and Rarity respectively, while Scootaloo, lacking an older sister, was scanning the skies for the ever-spottable-chromatic-pegasus-sister-to-her known as Rainbow Dash. She didn't see her at the moment, but she knew that Rainbow always liked to make a big entrance. The other CMCs couldn't find their sisters, and anypony else they talked to was as clueless as they were, so the three decided to wait and see what all the bustle was about.

Just then, at the stroke of 3 o'clock, there was a blinding flash of light at the center of the crowd. The fillies shielded their eyes from the brightness, and when they turned back around, Princess Celestia had appeared in the light's place. They smiled when they saw it was her, but the smiles disappeared when they saw she wore a somber expression on her face. She spoke with a voice that was loud enough for all to hear, but softly enough so that it did not betray the panic she felt for all her subjects:

“I know you are all wondering why I've called you here today,” she began. There were general nods from the audience. “I wish to let you know that there is a very good reason, and due to the nature of this reason, I cannot sugarcoat the situation.” She breathed a very long sigh before she continued. “We are all in very grave danger. But do not panic!” she added, as she saw many ponies in the crowd were already poised to run for the hills. “Please remain calm. The danger is not yet immediate, but I will need every pony I can to help avert a terrible catastrophe. The more of you that I can count on to help, the better our chances.” She noticed that the panic had subsided slightly, and the ponies seemed to be calm enough to listen to the rest of what she had to say. Unfortunately, the rest was the worst part.

“Now remember that numbers are what will decide our fate. Here is what we're up against:” She began telling the story she never wished to need to repeat:

“Once every 1,300 years, Equestria is plagued by the threat of a terrible curse, one unlike any other. The fruit trees that we all depend on for sustenance turn into hated enemies to be feared; the grass under our hooves transforms into deadly spikes that no armor or magic can defend against; friends that we once held dear to our hearts become our worst nightmares; and perhaps the most dangerous of all, the very moon in the skies above can come crashing down at a moment's notice, crushing whomever is underneath...” The crowd let out a huge gasp at every one of the details the Princess described. She continued, “There is one being alone to blame for this calamity - one who controls it all - and one who must be stopped at all costs. That being is...” she stopped for a moment, cringed, and finished, “...The Mare.”

“What?!” A tannish, grey-maned earth-pony stepped up in front of the princess. “I'm to blame for all of that? Is this some kind of joke? Princess, with all due respect, I trust your judgment, but I mean Equestria no harm!”
Celestia giggled a little at the confusion. Probably the last laugh she'll have for a long time.

“Oh heavens, no, Mayor Mare, not you! Everyone, there is a vast difference between this 'Mayor Mare,' and The Mare. There's no need to panic over our good friend here.”

“Oh thank goodness! Wouldn't want that to be an issue. Sorry, your Highness, please continue,” Mayor Mare said, bowing and moving back into the crowd.

“Indeed. That was a detail I should have gone over earlier. My apologies, Mayor. Now as I saying, this is obviously a great threat that needs to be dealt with immediately. If The Mare is not dealt with posthaste, the curse shall come to full fruition. The longer The Mare is at large, the more Equestria will be covered by deadly fruit trees and spikes. But there is a way to free ourselves! One pony among us has the power necessary to take down The Mare and make Equestria safe once more!” At this, the crowd cheered and the ceremonious stomping of hooves echoed through the town.

“Wonderful!” Mayor Mare shouted, “Who is this amazing pony?”
Celestia paused, waiting for the crowd to settle down. Once they did, she hit them with the worst news so far.

“I... have no idea.”

The crowd was silent for a time. Then they burst into uproar and panic, asking questions, stomping in place with fear. The CMCs were huddling together after moving away from the crowd, as to not be stepped on by accident.

“W-what's gonna happen to the Apple family business if all the trees are turned into monsters?” Apple Bloom asked, shaking as she did.

“The situation has become quite dire if Princess Celestia's story is to be believed,” Sweetie Bell chimed in.

“Dangerous apples? Spiky grass? The moon falling down?” Scootaloo said, forelegs crossed. “Those don't seem... too bad...” she continued somewhat weakly. “I'd bet Rainbow Dash is the one! She'll take care of this 'The Mare' character in no time! Maybe even in ten seconds fla-”

“Ponyville! Please, do not panic! That will bring nothing but more chaos!” Celestia shouted, trying to calm the crowd. “Like I said, there IS a pony here that can save us all!” At this statement, the citizens stopped their ramblings and payed attention to their monarch once more. “This happens once every 1,300 years, and each time a pony has stepped forth to dethrone this so-called 'The Mare,' and restored peace to the land. Just because they haven't appeared yet doesn't mean they won't!”

“Yeah!” Scootaloo yelled and jumped up, her tiny wings flapping, allowing her to float ever so slightly in the air for a short moment. “It's probably Rainbow Dash!” she exclaimed excitedly, “She's just not here yet! Um... where is she, anyway?” she asked, scratching her head as she landed again.

“I did ask the bearers of the Elements of Harmony to attend...” Celestia said, looking around. “But they do not appear to be here. This worries me; perhaps one of them might be late, but all six? Something's wrong...”

KEERRRZAP! The Princess's thought process was interrupted by a bolt of lightning suddenly striking the ground in front of her, followed by a horrid laugh erupting from the skies, which were being covered by thick, black, swirling clouds.

“Mwuhahahahaha! I'm back, suckers!” a grating and hideous, yet distinctly female voice came from the epicenter of the storm. “You shall all be mercilessly slaughtered for the amusement of me, The Mare! How does that sound? It's been over a millennium, and I'm just bored to tears! Tears I tell you! And you can tell that's something because I never cry!” At this, a large hoof-full of townspeople started running for their lives, locking themselves inside their houses. “Yes, run!” continued the voice, “Make it more amusing for me! For soon, I can hunt you all down! Haha! My score for this one's gonna be HUGE! Extra points for stealth, you know!”
Celestia kicked off of the ground and spread her wings, flying towards the spiraling clouds.

“Is this just a game to you?! The meaningless deaths of thousands of innocents?!” she screamed at the sky. “Does basic decency mean nothing to you at all?”

“Ha! Don't be so stiff, lady!” the voice answered. “This place is mine, now! Or, it will be soon! I can't be defeated this time! And you know why?”
Celestia stopped flying upwards and considered what the voice might mean.

“No... you can't have ...!”

“Yup! I took your best bets and shoved them out an open window! Those 'Elements of Harmony' cheaters are in my world! Ha! They won't last too long though. Ponies have become too soft through the years. Where's the 'umph'? The pizazz? They barely put up a fight!”

“Fiend! You may have taken our-” Celestia cried.

“Oh wait wait!” the voice of The Mare interrupted, “I have to jot that down! Four-thousand... and... seventy-two... there we go! That's the four-thousand and seventy-second time I've been called a fiend. Don't worry though, no points will be deducted for unoriginality! Haha!” The Mare said, sarcasm dripping from her words.

“How dare you!” Celestia, seething with rage, horn ablaze, fired a ray of light from herself into the clouds. It disappeared into the darkness, and there was only silence that followed for a time. Celestia hovered in the air, waiting for some type of response. She realized that such anger was not befitting a princess, but she admitted to herself that it felt good to retaliate.

For what seemed like hours for the remaining ponies who stayed behind, as well as Celestia, The Mare made no further remarks. The clouds that the voice came from were slowly but surely dissipating, slowing their spiral pattern and grinding to a halt. Celestia, eyes ever on the center of the mass, slowly descended downwards. Had she done it? Had she truly vanquished The Mare? She was uneasy with the thought that it could be that simple, but the signs were pointing to that being the case...
As her hooves touched the ground again, she was met with cheers, praises, and admirations from the entire town. Ponies were throwing confetti, some were chanting her name: 'Prin-cess! -clap clap clap- Celes-tia! -clap clap clap-, 'you were the one all along!'

The Princess allowed herself to look away from the shrinking clouds for a moment. Everypony was celebrating, her glorious sun was shining once more through the now-docile clouds. Everything did seem to be alright... maybe she bought into the legend that there can be only one pony to vanquish The Mare too much. Perhaps that was just a rumor perpetuated by The Mare herself? Who knew at that point, and what did it matter? Her ponies were safe, and that was all she cared about. Twilight and her friends would be returning shortly if they had not succumbed to The Mare's sinister designs... she could only hope now. She put one of her hooves up in a 'shushing' manner, and the crowd slowly became quiet.

“Thank you all for your gracious words. Hopefully the threat has been eliminated, but I must make for Canterlot now to be sure. I will return if there's any clue whatsoever to the survival of The Mare.” She turned to fly towards Canterlot, her back to the crowd. “I will make you all aware immediately if anything turns up. Until then, you should all-”

“What're those on the Princess's back?” Scootaloo asked loudly, pointing to two small, reddish objects near the Princess's flank.

“They look like... apples?” Apple Bloom said.

“Huh?” Celestia turned her head around to look at them. Indeed, there were twin round, plump, red, probably delicious fruit, as big as pommelos, levitating just above her coat. Then she realized that they were certainly not apples. NO!
Celestia frowned, and hung her head as if defeated. The townsponies tilted their heads, curious about the Princess's strange stature. With one last look back at her subjects, she smiled submissively, and said:

“They're more like... giant cherries.” Then the fruit finished their descent onto her flesh.



And then she exploded.