• Published 6th Feb 2012
  • 2,939 Views, 6 Comments

Big Mac's Big Story - Brony_Jay_1983



Have you ever wondered why Big Mac is so quiet and emotional?

  • ...
2
 6
 2,939

Part One: Applejack

PART ONE: APPLEJACK




“Gave you all I had to give, found a place for me to rest my head.




While I may be hard to find, heard there’s peace just on the other side”

If I could recall correctly, it was quite the scorcher the day I had interviewed Ms. Applejack. Her and her family were quite the gracious hosts, might I add. I was stuffed before I even made it to the barn to interview Applejack! Anyways, the interview went off with her being somewhat reluctant to give out information, which I thought was quite contradictory. You know, with her and the apple family agreeing to the interview, and yet being reluctant to give out information. Though once she warmed up to my presence, she was more than relentless with the information.

“So, Applejack. Why don’t you start off from the beginning?”

“Well, ah don’t remember much of mah past as a young, young filly. All ah really do remember is the first thing I was seein’ soon as ah could start comprehendin’ things was mah brother. From that moment on, we were like two peas in a pod. I was always there for him whenever he needed me. We never really knew our maw n paw that well neither. So we didn’t exactly have ‘em around ta help. Just me, him n Granny Smith. He wasn’t always so quiet, ya know? In fact, ya could hardly get him ta shut his trap!” She chuckled loudly at the joke she made, reminiscing of the past. “Anyways, that big ole lug wasn’t the smartest neither. Ah remember way back when we was young’ns, he always wanted ta play in the orchard. On the heavy equipment, to be exact. I always told him he’d hurt himself he ever tried ta run the ‘quipment.” Her tone of voice then dropped to a more serious, low tone as she explained Big Mac to me more.

“Ah remember him comin’ home one day after school, bawlin’ like a little foal. I asked him what was wrong, and he told me everypony kept bein’ mean to him. I asked him why they was bein’ mean, and he told me it was ‘cause he answered a question wrong in class. Now, why would anypony pick on a poor colt for answerin a question wrong?” She scoffed at the memory, obviously digging up old wounds “He told me he answered a question the teacher asked ‘bout life. I was so confused I couldn’t barely keep up. Apparently the teacher asked, ‘what makes yeh the happiest in life?’ n he answered by sayin’ apples. The kids wouldn’t hardly ever leave him alone. Poor Big Mac came home every day bawlin’ ‘cause them kids was bein’ mean. This went on for a couple months I think. Anyways, he came back one day just bouncin’ off the walls happy! I ain’t ever seen him that happy. So Granny had asked him what he was so happy ‘bout. I member he kept tellin’ Granny ‘bout another little colt he met that was pretty much zactly like him. His name was Ivy Vine, I think it was. Ah only remember very little of him, to be honest.”

“Applejack, have you any fond memories of Ivy?”

“Beg yer pardon?”

“I mean what do you remember of Ivy? I mean, from the way I see it, he must have been around a lot if he was Big Mac’s best friend, am I right?”

“Well, I guess yer right sugarcube. I can only remember so much of him to be honest. What I do remember was he was one of the most modest, humble ponies ah’ve ever met. I coulda swore he was an angel. And yer right, he did come around a lot. I was still a little filly at the time, and I hardly ever paid attention to anythin’. Ah gotta tell ya, he had quite the green thumb. If ya needed somethin’ grown, him and his family was the place to take it. Come to think of it, that one drunken pony was his sister, if ah can remember. He didn’t have a very big family was what he told us. That’s all ah really know ‘bout the pony. Big Mac loved him like a brother, though. Shoot, Ivy was always over helpin’ us out n playin’ with Big Mac. That is, till that one fateful day……..”

You could almost feel the heaviness in the air as she said that last sentence. I’ve done my fair share of sad interviews, but this has to be the second most touching interview I’ve ever done. I’ve only seen sadness like this in one other interview. That interview being Big Mac’s.

“Applejack, what can you tell me about that day? I mean, if you wouldn’t mind disclosing that information to me”

She let out a sigh that could have caused a hurricane

“Well, Mister Nib, ah don’t mind it none. We’ve all gotta explain sad things in life sometimes. It was in the winter, and Big Mac came back with some blood on his coat. He was horrified somethin’ fierce. He burst in the barn like a bat outta hell, bawlin like a foal, screamin’ n hollerin’. Me n Granny Smith didn’t know what to do, so we followed him to the lake. Luckily it wasn’t that far from the orchard. We got there n there was a big ole hole in the ice. When we got there, Ivy was layin’ on the edge, covered in blood. Ah was horrified somethin’ fierce too at the sight. He didn’t look right, Feather. His body was all mangled n cut up.” She grew silent as she pictured the image. “We managed to get him to the hospital, but the emergency doctor told us he was dead before we got him there. It was then I looked Big Mac in the eyes, and it looked like all joy left his eyes.” She shed a single tear, wiping it away instantly. “I ain’t never seen a smile on his face since.”

“I’m so sorry, Miss Applejack. It must have been pretty hard on you to have seen such a sight. I think I’ve gotten enough information today. I’ll stop by tomorrow to interview Big Mac.”

“Hey Mr. Nib?”

“Yes?”

“Even after it all, ah didn’t feel like he was gone.”

“What do you mean?”

“Usually you can feel it when somepony’s died. Ah never felt that. Ah still feel it in mah bones to this day that he’s still out there. Why he’d fake his death, I’d never find out. Even the body didn’t look like his.”

I remember the look in her eyes to this day. That of hope, fear and sadness all in one. I even felt it, too. I could honestly say I caught the same feel. The feeling that he was still out there. That’s enough of the story for now. I must return to my quarters to prepare Big Mac’s interview.