• Published 20th Mar 2013
  • 728 Views, 5 Comments

Tale of Nightingale - Shadow Veil



(Only some gore, so relax) My first story, the story will follow the life of my OC, a very gifted dragon, who will come to be known as Nightingale. This is the story of his life of trials in an abusive clan to a fresh start.

  • ...
7
 5
 728

Chapter 5

Nightingale walked slowly, his eyes darting from side to side as he analysed each and every inch stone and glass he passed. This place it amazing! he thought as he strolled behind Princess Luna. He was finding it harder and harder to keep some semblance of calm as they came upon a pair of doors. Nightingale was doing everything he could think of to prevent himself from asking what was behind the doors when Luna stopped him.

“Behind these doors is the great hall, in which our sister holds the day court, while we the night court. Do not make a fool of yourself, and we may be able to put you to proper use.” Luna straightened her stance as her horn began to glow and the doors creak open. “Don’t be afraid, Nightingale, our sister will not harm you.”

I am not afraid, Nightingale thought as he stared into the vast room beyond, I am slightly terrified. Nightingale gulped as he began to walk behind Luna, his eyes fixed on the others in the room. There was another mare though she had a coat like marble and a flowing pink mane. Her massive wings were outstretched, making her seem nearly twice as large to the frightened dragon. She was wearing a golden crown and necklace, both with amethysts at their center along with her silver shoes. Beside her was a stallion of a very deep purple that was mostly covered by golden armor. He had removed his helmet and set it on the floor, the hole for his horn standing out to Nightingale. His mane was a rather unusual shade of silver that glimmered softly in the light. His eyes were what Nightingale stopped at, the silver eyes entrancing him.

“Why have you brought him to us, sister?” the alabaster mare spoke with a tone of both gentleness and power.

“We think that he may be capable to aid us, sister.” Luna stated, holding her head high. “He displayed great courage and spirit earlier, that suiting a guard.” Luna glanced over to the stallion before she continued. “He faced down a manticore to defend a group of Earth Ponies on the northern Everfree.”

The stallion turned his head to the unnamed mare, “Might I give first judgement, Princess Celestia?” Princess Celestia only nodded in response as the stallion began to walk towards Nightingale. He walked around Nightingale for several moments before he stopped directly in front of him. “Age, name, strengths, and reason.” he demanded, his silver eyes meeting Nightingale’s paling ones.

Nightingale was stunned by the verbal assault before he even realized that he was being questioned. “I am twenty-three years old, and my name is Nightingale, Sir.” he paused for another moment thinking desperately about his strengths. “I have developed a high tolerance to pain, and am capable of fighting foes that would require several of your guards.” Nightingale blinked once as he continued. “As for my reason, it is to prevent those with power from misusing it, Sir.”

The stallion didn’t break the stare as he asked a final question, “Have you ever used or come into contact with magic before tonight?”

“Magic, Sir?”

“I would take that as a no, but you aren’t from around here.” the stallion lit up his horn and gave Nightingale a quick jolt. “Magic is a force that rather hard to explain, think of it as a great power given to some. Have you had contact with magic before tonight?”

Nightingale’s mind flashed back to the night he lost control of himself and he debated telling anyone about this. Might as well, but I could leave out some of the more... horrendous parts. “I was able to shock someone to death when I was sixteen. I also gained some power that same night when I was provoked.”

“What provoked you?”

“I was attacked, pushed into a corner and my only friend’s name was insulted.”

“This friend of yours is dead?”

“Yes, Sir, she has been for thirteen years. I lost control when she was insulted.” Nightingale didn’t know much about pony society, but he knew a death was tragic. He anticipated a word of apology, a sign of sorrow for the dead, but was to another custom.

“She was worthless.”

Nightingale visibly tensed up upon hearing this, his pupils shrank and his irises turned blood red. He stared down at the stallion that would dare to insult Spines without ever knowing her and for a single second debated whether tearing out his throat or burning him to a crisp would be more painful. No. he thought, his eyes returning to normal. I am no beast that will awake at a single plucking of a string. He breathed deeply as he awaited the next words from the stallion.

“Good, I have no use for one that can’t control their temper. I am Commander Early Riser, though you may call me Commander or Sir.” The Commander smirked as he began to walk away, “Welcome to the force, Recruit. Training starts at sunrise, so get some rest.” The Commander bowed to the princesses and escorted himself out of the great hall.

Princess Celestia chuckled as she approached her sister and dumbfounded guest. “We would like to know more about this instance of magical use, Nightingale. Would you mind sharing the tale over some tea?”

“Yes, of course Princess Celestia.” Nightingale paused, his expression filled with confusion. “Might I ask, what is tea?”