• Published 22nd Mar 2013
  • 686 Views, 19 Comments

Pony's Story - Philosophical Tree



After being sucked into a devilishly enchanted foal's pop-up book and turned into fillies, Twilight and her friends have to traverse the dangerous and drastically altered storybook world in order to get back home. Based off of Yoshi's Story

  • ...
2
 19
 686

Intermission 1: Cavernous Implications

Holding Chamber Time: Fifteen Minutes Prior:

Twilight smiled as she saw her friend on the other side of the barrier, watching them all trying to break through. ‘At least one of us got through. Maybe Applejack can help us get over there.’ She was about to call out to her when the door slammed closed, startling the five fillies still on the inside.

“Applejack!” Rainbow Dash cried, leaping towards the now closed door. She began to pound on it with her hooves, trying anything she could to batter it down. “Give her back! Open up! COME ON!” She wasn’t the only one trying to get the door open. Twilight was focusing all her magic on the point where the latch had been, only to find it had disappeared. She couldn’t find a grip on the door to pry it open. She couldn’t make sense of what had happened.

‘How does magic just do that? This isn’t right... and I’ve written magic, for the love of Celestia.’ She growled internally at finding herself so helpless. And for being unable to figure out what it was that held them back. ‘Magic doesn’t work like this... unless... no. No, that’s simply not possible.’

She was drawn back as Rainbow cried out in pain, gripping her shoulder and gritting her teeth. Fluttershy was first to react, uncommonly. She hovered over, cooing soothingly. “Oh, Rainbow. You really shouldn’t have been overexerting yourself.” Gently placing a hoof on the injured shoulder, Fluttershy felt around the sore area and shook her head. “Well, at least you didn’t break anything. Come here, I should be able to help.” Fluttershy then lead Rainbow to the left side of the room, in order to carry out her ministrations. Twilight, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie all stood, somewhat dumbfounded at the recent events.

“Twilight... please tell me you can explain?” Rarity asked hesitantly, still watching the pair of pegasi. Fluttershy had Rainbow lying on her stomach, and was gently massaging the pained shoulder. Rarity wondered if the shy pegasus had picked something up from watching Aloe and Lotus during their spa visits. Turning to look at Twilight, Rarity watched as the unicorn mulled things over.

“Well, if I had to make a guess, whatever dark power has this book under it’s control wants us to face the world one by one. If I remember right, there were six main pages with four different outcomes. Each time you read the book, it could be a completely new story...” Twilight turned her eyes to the door again. “I remember a few of the pages. There was a jungle and an ocean. But I don’t remember the order.” Pinkie took this moment to pipe in.

“Those would be pages four and five! Before that, there’s the opening page, a cavern, and a mountain, and after that is a castle. So, if each of us has to go through one... can I have the jungle? Please, Twilight? I really want to go to a jungle!” Twilight raised an eyebrow at her friend’s antics.

“I don’t think we are able to choose. I think the magic has other things in mind for us.” Twilight replied, turning to trot over to the back wall. “I need time to think. If you girls don’t mind?” They nodded and she went to her desired place to mull her thoughts over. Pinkie then turned to Rarity.

“So, Rarity, do you think I’ll get the jungle?” Rarity shrugged in reply, not giving the party pony a verbal answer. It was clear that she was preoccupied, so Pinkie decided it best to leave her be. The unicorn stepped lightly over to the right hoof wall and sat, staring into space. Her mind was racing.

‘This dark magic... it feels familiar somehow. I wonder if Twilight has noticed it as well. We’ve felt this magic somewhere before... I wish I could remember...’ She put a hoof to her lip, reaching back into her mind to try and find the memory. Unfortunately, it would not come. She huffed in annoyance and took to combing her mane while trying to recall the sensation. Opposite her, Rainbow groaned as Fluttershy worked at a particularly sensitive spot.

“Oh, Rainbow, you pulled something in your back, too. I don’t think you’ll be flying quite as well for a while.” Rainbow groaned and rolled her eyes.

“That’s just great. Like I really need that right now. To lose the only thing that I have going for me in this place.” She sighed as Fluttershy’s ministrations continued. “So, whaddya think about all this? Kinda weird, even with what we deal with on a day to day basis, huh?” Fluttershy nodded absentmindedly. “I mean, sucked into a foal’s pop-up book... who woulda guessed? And this one, of all of them... it was good, but there were certain bits that just... I dunno, I just thought were kinda lame. You know what I- GAH!” She recoiled as Fluttershy’s hooves drove down on her back just a bit too hard. She rolled over, glaring daggers at her now completely mortified friend.

“What was that for?” She snarled. Fluttershy covered her mouth with her hooves, trying to make herself appear as small as possible. Rainbow realized that she was scaring her, and decided to tone the anger down. “I’m sorry for snapping like that, but seriously, what was that all about?” Fluttershy shrugged.

“I don’t know what came over me...” She said, hoping that her worried glances wouldn’t be conspicuous. Rainbow didn’t notice it, which she was thankful for. “I’m so sorry, Rainbow.” In response, Dash rolled her eyes and lay back down.

“It’s alright. Let’s just get this over with.”

In the center of the chamber, Pinkie was mulling things over with herself. She had produced small models of each of her friends from... well, somewhere. Even she wasn’t too sure herself. Regardless, she was moving them around, scheming our the course of their journey.

“Alright, so Applejack got to go number one. That means that Rarity is number two...” She paused and snickered for a moment, before focusing her attention on her figures once more. “So, if that’s the order for the first two... when does the new guy show up? Oh, that would be after chapter three... of course. Speaking of which... I wonder if Applejack’s seen any Shy Ponies out there. I’d love to see one!

“Of course, that’ll probably happen anyway, unless I get my jungle. Which I most likely will. Then it’ll be a jungle party!” She tilted her head up, scratching her chin with a hoof. “I hope I can find some good jungle music. After that we get the Elements, beat the bad guy and kablooie!” She scattered the figures around as she mimicked the explosion noise. “Then we go home! Sounds like a plan!”

Across the room, Twilight sat and pondered the situation. Things just weren’t right. There was something familiar to the dark power that they were facing, and yet she couldn’t place it. She didn’t know what it was that was fighting them. And that bothered her. Normally she knew their adversary, and she was able to deal with it with relative ease. This was different. She didn’t like it.

She tried to think. ‘Okay, Twilight, let’s review the facts. We’re in the pop-up book. There’s six pages, each one forcing us to go alone. There’s dark magic fighting us the whole way. It’s probably transformed the world of the storybook as well. This leaves some blanks here.

‘Where are the Elements? Are they at the end of each page? That would make sense. Make us work to get them back... no, that’s stupid. Why would you make it so your foes could easily access the weapons they so desire? I swear, sometimes the villains we have to fight are so idiotic with their plans. So many flaws, so many loopholes, it’s unbelievable.

‘Also, there were supposed to be six filly heroines, native to the book. Where are they? Could the dark magic have done something to them? Always a possibility. Actually, that’s probably what happened. It’s a good strategy, and though the dark force doesn’t appear all that intelligent from what I’ve gathered, I won’t put this past it.

‘Lastly... why? Magic can’t do this. Not unless it’s being controlled. What if there’s something sealed inside here with us? What if that was what dragged us in? That would explain a few of the discrepancies I have... but not everything, and it raises one, crucial question:

‘Who on Equestria is trapped in here?’

She was startled from her thoughts as a long rumble echoed through the room, drawing the attention of all the fillies within. They stared at one another for a long moment.

“W-w-what was that?” Fluttershy stammered. Twilight shook her head, amazed at how sound managed to relay itself across the room with ease.

“I don’t know. Doesn’t seem to be serious at all...” She was cut off by another rumble, this time much louder. There was a bright flash of light...

__________

Present:

“Rarity, come on! You’re the only one who hasn’t tried to go through the barrier! None of us can, so it must be you!”Twilight’s voice was pleading. But the fashionista wouldn’t hear it.

“No means no, Twilight. I’ve spent more than enough time in deep, dark caves. I have no wish to do so here and now.” She tilted her head up dramatically. “I shall speak no more of the matter.”

“Oh really?” Applejack stepped over, her eyes fixed menacingly on Rarity’s. “Ya’ll don’t go out there, and we can’t leave this book. We’ll never get out. Think about yer little sis. Think about Ponyville. Think about us. Why don’t ya’ll think about somethin’ other than yourself fer a change!” Rarity met Applejack’s glare with one of her own, but the farm filly wasn’t done yet. “You are one of the most generous ponies Ah know, and yet ya’ll can be so darn selfish! Ah don’t know how ya do it, but Ah know this: You’ll get yer keister through that door by yerself, or Ah’ll buck ya clean through. Your move.”

Rarity tried to keep her glare steady, but found herself unable. She sighed, lowering her head in defeat. “You’re right,” She moaned glumly. “I wasn’t thinking, and I apologize. I know I have to do this... even if I loathe the idea.” She lifted her head, making her way over to the door. She stopped right before the entrance, lifting a tentative hoof. “Do I really have to go out there?” She whined. “I mean, it’s so dark... and dirty” Applejack chose not to respond, and instead stepped over and gave Rarity a gentle shove. The fashionista stumbled out the door.

“Hey! That was very rude!” She yelled, turning about just as the door slammed behind her. As the light of the room vanished, she found herself alone in the dark of the spacious cavern. She looked about, biting her lip in nervous fear. The last time she had been in this situation, she had been a prisoner of the Diamond Dogs. Granted, she had outdone herself with getting out of the situation, but her memories of the place were less than fond. Now she was forced underground once again.

“If I never see another cave for the rest of my life after this is over... it will be far, far too soon.” She muttered, her voice as dark as the cave around her. There was enough light for her to see, but not enough to give her a good idea of what lay ahead. Lighting up her horn with a gentle illumination spell, she strode cautiously down the dirt path that lay before her, down into the depths of the cavern.

The path wasn’t steep, but it was long and winding as she descended into the unknown. Rarity sighed as she looked around. This was nothing like the pleasant fields that Applejack had found herself in. This wasn’t for a pony of her standards. She didn’t belong here.

But Applejack’s words came to her mind again. She shook her head, trying to shake the feelings of unease they brought her. ‘Everypony has to make sacrifices, even a lady such as myself... for the others... for Sweetie Belle. I will do this.’ A gleam in her eye, she increased her pace down the path. ‘And, the faster I get out of here, the better. Let’s not keep the others waiting.’

Eventually she came to a fork in the path, with four separate trails winding off into the darkness. Four stones were set next to each path, with writing carved into them. She took a moment to glance them over.

“Den of the Bone Dragons, Blargg’s Inferno, The Jelly Pipe, Storm Drain... oh dear... these all sound simply dreadful.” She bit her lip again, unsure of which path was the least of the evils that lay before her. At last, she raised a hoof.

“That way.”