• Published 16th Mar 2013
  • 435 Views, 2 Comments

The Love Quest of Stuffed Croissant - TheBrownUnicorn



A baker who cares for money tries to find true love... somehow.

  • ...
 2
 435

Chapter 1 - The French Mare

Some ponies wish for power, some others just want true love, but a majority of them strive for money. This majority of ponies are really clever to have chosen to achieve for such thing; yet, they’re at the same time really stupid. They’re clever because they know that having money, being rich, makes it easier to get true love, and power. And they’re stupid to choose such thing, because, when they finally get to have the money they wanted so much, they’ll end up discovering that what they found at first was just an illusion created by the same thing they had achieved before, and such illusion will end up disappearing just like their wealth.

However, no matter what those ponies want to achieve for, they all want just one thing on their lives: Happiness. It is sad that no one is able to be happy in this life, that you might end up dying without really having enjoyed your life on Equestria, or that you might be achieving for something that you don’t even know if it will make you happy.

You must be wondering what the introduction is for, and why does it try to be so deep. I don’t know it either, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. However, I think I can work with that introduction, so don’t worry.

Our protagonist, whose name is on the title of this story, achieves for money, like the majority of ponies, however, she is not greedy, as she wants money for very different reasons than most of the majority of ponies who have chosen to achieve some day of having great amount of money. Stuffed Croissant, our protagonist, wants such money to keep herself happy, but for different reasons that you might or might not be thinking of. The reasons about such happiness will be revealed later, in the story. For now, let’s just continue with Stuffed Croissant’s introduction, and obviously, her story.

Every place in Equestria has their flaws and their virtues. Let’s take Ponyville, for example, it’s a really happy and energetic town, and it’s the one most ponies have visited at least once in their life, however, Ponyville still lacks from important events, like the Wonderbolts or The Grand Galloping Gala. Ponyville residents are still as happy as they can be, though. And just like everything in Equestria has their flaws and virtues, they also have their population. But let’s get to the point, since we’re kinda missing the point of the story here.

Where our protagonist lived, was the worst place for her kind, Canterlot.

The big city, called Canterlot, was home of many rich ponies. You’d expect that somepony who achieves for money would like it there, since that somepony would be able to steal, or gain profit from these other ponies, but no, she wasn’t a thief. Rich ponies weren’t really kind either, or well, most of them weren’t really kind. And Stuffed Croissant, was a really kind, and really poor pony, who lived in the outskirts of Canterlot, where the most poor lived.

Stuffed Croissant started her day like she normally does every day, by baking. She got the ingredients ready; the flour, the fruit, the sugar, everything. She prepared everything really early in the morning, being really careful not to wake up her parents. To say the truth, having the job of both baking the pastries and selling them was a really hard job for such a pony her age, having 16 years, but she still accepted.

While she was preparing some pies, a blue stallion appeared by the door. He was walking slowly, as he wasn’t as young as he used to be, and he had his mane already beginning to turn into a silver white. The old stallion’s voice had a slight touch of French accent. “Daughter of mine,” he began, “how’re you doing with the baking? You sure you don’t need help with them, today? ”

The teenage mare turned her head towards her dad, and smiled. “I’m pretty sure I am baking everything here correctly,” she answered, with a more noticeable French accent than her dad. “Besides, you know how much I like the scent of freshly baked pies in the morning.”

“So do I, Stuffy,” agreed the stallion. “But don’t you think it’s a bit early for baking? It’s nearly 5 AM,” he grunted.

“I’m really sorry, did I wake you up?” she asked, a bit worried that she might’ve woken her father up.

“Oh, no, don’t worry about that. I was just asking,” he answered, smiling. “Just answer my question.”

“Well, you know I usually take a really long time to bring the food home, right?” her father nodded. “That will change today, I promise!” she said, smiling confidently. “You see, if I wake up earlier, and bake really fast, but still with care, I might be able to come back for lunch!”

“You know you don’t really have to do that, you know,” her father answered. “I mean, we don’t really want you to be tired at work because of you taking care of us. You paying pretty much everything in the house is enough for us.”

“Of course it’s not enough, I need to do more!”

“Well, if it makes you happy…” her father said, with a tone of sadness on his voice.

“Is something wrong?” she asked, getting the pastries out of the oven, and placing the pies she was preparing inside it.

“It’s just that… well…” he muttered. “It’s nothing.”

“Well, if you say so. Would you two want something to eat for when you wake up again? I can spare a couple of pies from here, if you want.”

“No, thanks.” Her father answered, smiling. “I’m sure we would feel a bit better if we ate something else.”

“Oh, do you want me to bring you two breakfast? I can do that.”

“No, thanks, Stuffed, we can cook and bake for ourselves. You should really go to work right now. Have you even had breakfast?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Umm…” Stuffed smiled at her father nervously. “Not really, but I’ll find something to eat on the way.” Her father looked at her with disapproval. “Can you help me carry these things to the cart?”

“If you promise to never go to work with an empty stomach again,” he ordered.

Both Stuffed Croissant and her father went outside, just to look at a big, mobile stand that belonged to Stuffed. They placed all the pastries on such stand, even the ones Stuffed was cooking a while ago. Stuffed then took a rope and tied it around her. With a “thanks dad”, Stuffed began pulling the stand towards the main streets of Canterlot, hoping that she would end up getting enough money today to keep everything in order tomorrow.

When Stuffed got to the Central Square of Canterlot, she admired the scenery that was around her, the big buildings that belonged to the ponies who lived there, the big boutiques and shops that sold stuff that was both really expensive, and really elegant, the ponies who were walking by; that stared at her whenever she passed by; and finally, in the distance, the big Canterlot Castle, that belonged to Princess Celestia, who raised the sun, and used to raise the moon sometime.

It was really a shame that she couldn’t explore more of Canterlot in her free time, as her usual spot where she placed her stand was far away from the Central Square, and most ponies who buy her pastries know she’s there because she places the stand there, and they never ask for her name, or remember how she looks. She sighed upon remembering this, and just kept walking.

Finally, she got to her usual spot, in a less crowded street of Canterlot, really far away from Canterlot Square. She quickly prepared the stand, to show as much pastries as possible, and waited for somepony to come by…

“Excuse me?” spoke a unicorn, who was looking at Stuffed putting everything in order. “Those pastries look really good!” he said, with a wide smile on his face.

“Oh, these?” she asked, blushing. “They’re nothing, really,” she giggled nervously.

“How much are they?” he asked, getting a wallet out of his saddlebag. “I’m sure I can pay it.”

“10 bits for the muffins, 15 for the cakes,” she answered, smiling. The stallion dropped his wallet and opened his mouth widely, in surprise. “Is that too much, sir? I can make a discount, how about 10 for the cakes?”

“That’s still really expensive!” he exclaimed. “I even tried complimenting you!”

“So?” Stuffed groaned. “Complimenting someone doesn’t mean they’ll give you discounts all the time.”

The unicorn simply turned around. “You’d wish for somepony like me to buy your dirty and ugly food.” And with that, he walked away. Stuffed simply stuck her tongue at him, when he wasn’t looking, and then looked at the apparently empty street. Maybe he was right; she should’ve at least sold him a muffin…

“Wow, that didn’t look so well,” commented a colt, who was just behind Stuffed Croissant. Stuffed just turned around and stared at him. He was a light blue unicorn with blond, neatly brushed hair and tail. Without any doubt, he was surely a rich colt, who would surely be carrying at least 10 bits.

“Excuse me, but, who gave you the permission to be behind me? Were you planning to steal one of my pastries? Because if that was the case, I’m afraid I’ll have to either hit you on the face, or ask you nicely for it,” she said, partially joking and partially threatening him.

“Umm…” he mumbled, while he paid attention to the threaten part. “Can I ask for a muffin, please? I think I can afford it,” he said, walking towards the other side of the stand.

Stuffed thought about it. “I’ll give it to you for 5 bits, if you promise me two things.” The colt was confused, but he nodded. “First of all, promise me that if you like it, you’ll never tell anyone about the discount, and you’ll buy another one.”

“Sure, I mean, if it’s worth it.”

“Second, promise me you’ll stay here for a bit more, while you finish your muffin,” she added, smiling. The colt just nodded, and gave her 5 bits, and Stuffed gave him the best muffin she had, just to be safe.

“Why do you need me here?” the colt asked, a bit confused, while looking at his muffin. “Do you really want to know if I’ll like the muffin or not?”

“Yes, I would also like a little company around here, too,” she smiled. “Besides, you don’t seem like the rest of ponies who walk by here, hoping to see extremely decorated cakes, or mildly sweet muffins,” she joked.

“Whoa,” the colt exclaimed, upon biting the muffin. “What’s the flavor of the muffin?”

“I really would like to know, I think it was cherry,” she answered, raising an eyebrow. “Why? Don’t tell me you’re allergic to cherry, because if that’s the case I don’t have any money right now and I’m extremely so-“

“No, stop your worries,” he ordered. “This muffin is really great! Are you sure this costs 5 bits?”

“10, remember I gave you a discount.”

“Whatever, I want to buy three of them right now, full price.” Stuffed Croissant was so surprised and happy in this exact moment, that she just stood there, looking at the colt. “You there?” he asked.

“Umm… right now!” She quickly got the rest of muffins out of her stand and gave them to the colt. The colt just gave her 30 bits, and finished his muffin, just to begin eating another one. “Wait, are you going to eat all of them?”

“Of course. I mean, they’re really good, and I don’t really get the opportunity to eat things such as these from where I come from.”

“You mean your parents don’t let you eat these things?”

“Umm… yes, that!” he answered, a bit nervous. “Oh well, I think I should go back home.” The colt began walking nervously towards where he came from, but was stopped by a voice.

“Wait!” yelled Stuffed Croissant. “Before you go, what’s your name?” she asked, in case she needed to know her customer’s name.

“Oh, it’s Pure Gold. I know it’s a typical name for someone from Canterlot but…” he didn’t really find anything to complete such thing, so he decided to ask something. “Are you always here, by the way?”

“Uh, yea, I’m always around these parts, just try looking for me, you’ll find the blue mare with the big stand. My name is Stuffed Croissant, if you’d like to know.”

“Oh, that’s a really nice name, are you from Canterlot?” he wondered, since her name wasn’t really Canterlot-ish. “I mean, I know it’s the name of a baker, probably but-“

“Yes, it’s my name,” she interrupted him, smiling. “Shouldn’t you be getting home? You seemed to be really in a hurry a while ago, but you just kept on talking to me.”

“If you really want me to go I’ll go,” he said, with a confident grin. “Au revoir, then, Stuffed Croissant!” he chuckled, as he trotted away from Stuffed.

“Hey!” she yelled to him, giggling. “Are you making fun of me? I’ll put dirt in the next muffin you but from me!” she threatened him, jokingly.

A stallion who was just passing by heard that thing, and decided not to buy anything from that mare anymore. He just ran towards another direction, but he was noticed by Stuffed. “Hey! Don’t go, I was just joking!” she yelled at him, but it was too late, the stallion was already out of sight.

Stuffed Croissant let out a deep sigh. At least she had earned some money from a colt who bought her pastries, and he asked for her name. Stuffed really didn’t like imagining like that colt was going to become her friend, but she really couldn’t stop it. He was really nice, and he was rich, what else would she wish for? Stuffed yawned. Maybe her father was right, she should’ve slept more, and maybe eaten something when she woke up…

A loud grumbling noise came from her empty stomach. Yes, should've definitely eaten something before actually leaving her house.