• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 628 Views, 10 Comments

Mirror-shades - Owlor



Suddenly, Vinyl Scratch found herself surpassing her old idol in her sudden rise to fame. Eventually she just needed a time-out to contemplate the direction she want her carrier to take.

  • ...
3
 10
 628

Track 7.

Track 7.

I returned to my apartment in the cover of darkness and found two letters lying on the floor. One was an invitation to some talk-show that I usually ignored and the other made me stand dumbfounded just seeing the envelope. There was a royal seal on it:

Dear Vinyl Scratch

We would be most honoured if you'd accept our invitation to DJ at our Royal Wedding in Canterlot.

Sincerely, Cadance & Shining Armor

I froze up, I had made no plans for my life after my trip to San Flanksisco. I guess I figured I'd either be dead or a new pony by time I returned, but neither had happened, and life still went on.

I couldn't hide in the DJ booth far above the crowd anymore. Either I let my fame fizzle out, watched from the beach as the wave passed me by, or I took my surfboard and rode it to the shore. I was going to make a choice, and make it soon, but what?


In my effort to come to a decision, I dug up my old diary, a reminder of the times when I worked at VeggieBurgers and spent all my bits buying records I played for myself and nopony else. In it, I found a list of “things I want to do before I die”, it was quite interesting.

1. Create my own genre

2. Play at a cool nightclub

3. Play at a party at the royal palace

4. Kiss Astro$RF

My dreams were becoming true one by one... So what would the old me think if she knew I was thinking about quitting it all just as it is in my reach? Every day after I get home, I take my mirror-shades off in the bathroom and put on the old black-framed glasses that I've had since magic high school.

Looking back at me in the mirror, I see my old self. She's a little pudgier now and her mane has cyan highlights, but she still has the same fire in her eyes as back then. If I refused to follow my dreams as they where served to me, would I ever be able to look her in the eyes ever again?

I sent a letter to the Royal sisters. My reply was simple and could be summarized in one word, or three letters...

Author's Note:

Everyone is faced with the question: Take the red pill and see how deep the rabbit hole goes, or take the blue pill and wake up in your bed like nothing ever happened. What are you going to choose?