• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 627 Views, 10 Comments

Mirror-shades - Owlor



Suddenly, Vinyl Scratch found herself surpassing her old idol in her sudden rise to fame. Eventually she just needed a time-out to contemplate the direction she want her carrier to take.

  • ...
3
 10
 627

Track 1.

Track 1.

All I really wanted was to blend in with the crowd. I have two-toned blue and cyan hair and enormous purple mirror-shades, this should tell you how much I failed...

The principle behind it was sound at least. In an environment lit by lasers and strobe-lights, this was practically tactical camouflage. If you want something hidden, you hide it in the place they are the least likely to look. So I hid among extroverts in clubs, in parties, fashion shows and weddings.


From behind the DJ table, I could do what I loved without parents telling me the music is too loud, without neighbours mistaking me for a drug addict, and without friends asking me why I never go out to party any more.

I put on my headphones and disappear into the music. I taste every flavour of the song, then release the track into the atmosphere to watch the patterns change. I was a scientist doing groovy science. The dancers were points of data and I analysed it with detached interest, but took no part in it. I was happy.


But fate tends to find those that have escaped it sooner or later. I don't know what went wrong, one day I was DJ-ing for a disastrous fashion show in Ponyville, the next I was warming the dance-floor up in Clopernicus, Manehattans biggest club. Behind me waited my teenage idol, Astro$RF, to drop the needle and really get the crowd going.

My only words to them before their set was “uhm...hi-I-really-like-your-mixtapes.”

“Excuse me?” Astro$RF replied.

I thought I had offended them and left the club early. In retrospect, Astro$RF prolly just didn't hear my squeaky mumbles over the music...

Author's Note:

If you wonder who the heck Astro$RF is, read the fanfic Two Beats. This was prolly my main inspiration for this.

"So, Owlor, why the heck are you posting an entirely new story when you're not done with the LAST one yet?"

Well, I never intended to, this whole thing just slipped out from my keyboard while I wasn't looking, so I edited and put it up. First of all, some background to this:

I've bitched many times about the assumptions people make about Vinyl. She's always a loud-mouthed extroverted partygoer when most DJs I know are kinda geeky and introverted. It makes sense if you think about it. As a DJ, you're at party's sure, but you'll be stuck behind a DJ table or a booth, listening to music in your headphones while everyone ELSE is having fun and meeting new people.

Also, Vinyl is always playing dubstep even tough there's no indication this music even EXISTS in Equestria. I'm a little more sympathetic to stories like this, where she basically INVENTS dubstep, lest anyone calls me a hypocrite. It's this idea of it already existing as a concept in Equestria that bothers me. So, I basically wanted to do a story featuring many of the Vinyl chlichés and then play them out like I think they'd actually happen, with my idea of Vinyl. Obviously we're all extrapolating from incomplete data here, but that's part of the fun.