• Published 30th Jan 2012
  • 1,524 Views, 39 Comments

Don't Forget The Music - Les Pony



Nathan Kase is having trouble letting go of human life before his conversion.

  • ...
7
 39
 1,524

Chapter 5: Angel

Angel

My eye were locked tight from the unknown surroundings. All I felt was the emptiness associated with falling into a void, which was a feeling I was all too familiar with. When I young, I always liked climbing things. My goal was always to get a better view of the area around me. I absolutely loved the feeling of being up higher than the rest of the land. The breeze in my hair, the blue sky surrounding me, the feeling of freedom I got from towering over the vast landscape. I was lucky to only have one accident. Unfortunately, that one time I fell was off the roof of my family’s house. The fall landed me in the hospital with broken ribs, wrists, and arm. The doctor told my mother I was lucky to have survived, but that the injuries rendered my bones too weak to climb anymore. I was six at the time. The first night in the hospital, I had a nightmare that I was falling down and empty void, which would always end with me slamming into the ground, waking me up. My crying woke many of the other patients around me. My mom had to hold and comfort me for nearly an hour just to calm me down. The worst part was that the nightmare kept happening; not frequently, but often enough to remind me how afraid I was of falling.

I felt my facial muscles relax, allowing my eyes to open to the true horror I was in. On either end of me were limitless black voids that never seemed to change in size. It was my nightmare to a dime except that there were colors swirling in hypnotic patterns instead of complete black. These colors surrounded me on all sides and went off in either direction into the black oblivions like they were making a tunnel. They flowed in every direction, not knowing where they were going or why. Some of the color gradients reminded me of the soft, warm hues of a sunset; some were so violent and piercing they seemed to come right out of the wall towards me. I had never seen such beautiful mixtures of colors in my life.

Beautiful colors or not, I was falling. Sweat formed on my brow as my breaths grew quick and short and my pulse quickened. Even though I there was no visible end to the tunnel, my hands shot up in panic to instinctually protect myself. However, instead of seeing my pasty white fingers, all I saw was a dark shade of yellow, almost like honey, covering my hand. Mouth agape, I slowly followed the new hue of my skin up my forearm, to my naked torso, down past my hips, and to the very tips of my toes. However, those thoughts escaped my mind as my eyes saw the fast approaching ground. Before I had time to react, I landed with a deep thud; my vision immediately went black.

==========

My vision faded in. I was... running? The ground was passing by fast, but I certainly didn’t feel like I was running. I attempted to look down at my body, but my neck refused to budge. Instead of hearing the normal quarter note thump of my feet running, I heard clop noises in quick successions of sixteenth notes, three at a time then a rest.

I’m... I’m galloping.

I desperately wanted to stop and look at my new body, but my head and eyes remained unresponsive, as did the majority of my senses. It was as though I were observing the visions passing from my eyes to my brain from outside my being. All I could do was sit back and watch what passed through my field of vision.

I was galloping through a field of vibrant green grass. I had never seen a green so full and pure. It looked soft and cool to the touch, but I couldn’t feel the sensation. It was like I didn’t fit in with the scene. Before I thought too deeply about it, I deep rumble joined the clopping of my hooves. Out of the corner of my vision I could see something joining me in my gallop.

Buffalo?

More and more buffalo poured into my field of vision, and from what I could tell by the sound, they were surrounding me. They didn’t stop getting closer. I panicked and tried vainly to change my course to not get run over, but right before I got trampled, they stopped. I realized, they were running with me! It was surreal. Not only was it amazing to see actual buffalo, I was running with them. The thundering of the hooves, the scenery rushing by, it was astounding to be apart of like it was fulfilling some instinctual need to be running with the pack. Yet it still didn’t feel completely natural to me, as if I didn’t fit in.

In my observation of the scene around me, I had inadvertently spaced out and didn’t realize the buffalo in front of me were turning. By the time I realized why they turned, I was already flailing like a madman as I was falling into a gaping ravine. Once again, I slammed into the ground blacking out.

==========

As I regained consciousness for the second time, I found myself...

Nowhere...

I was surrounded by endless black depths. My immediate reaction was to cringe in fear of falling through the color tunnel, but after a few seconds of nothing happening, I let out a hesitant sigh. I took a tabulation of all my senses. Gazing around the nothingness, as if expecting to find something I saw nothing but emptiness. It wasn’t dark, I could see my pony body perfectly. I was a warm shade of honey with a dark cherry tail hanging halfway down my legs. I wasn’t falling, or at least I didn’t feel like it, so I had to be on some form of ground. All I heard was my own breathing because of the lack of any other sounds. On the plus side, I wasn’t a smelly pony. My setting mystified me to say the least.


This is definitely odd.

“This is definitely odd.”

What the hell?!

“What the hell?!”

I stood stunned, solid as a wall, as the voice echoed through the vast nihility. Something wasn’t right. I thought words, then heard them come out of nowhere around me, in my voice. I had to test it again.

Hello?

“Hello?”

Echo!

“Echo!”

Piiiiiiiiigs innn spaaaaaace.

“Piiiiiiiiigs innn spaaaaaace.”

The booming echo of my voice reverberated through the space around me and into my very head. Where ever I was, I could hear my own thoughts.

Alright.

“Alright.”

Think. Where can I be?

“Think. Where can I be?”

I paused, still not used to hearing my own thoughts reverberate around me. I strained to figure out where I was. Maybe the conversion went bad. Maybe I was dead, in limbo. If this was the “dream” everyone seemed to talk about, I felt like I was getting screwed. No matter how hard I though, I couldn’t come up with a conclusion where I was. The “place” made no sense, and it was starting to piss me off.

Hmpf. I swear, I finally decide to get converted, and THIS is what I get. I’m dead and in limbo, hearing my own thoughts echo around me. A-HA! That’s it. I’m crazy, I’m not dead. The serum made me mad! How delightful.

My anger welled as I ranted to myself, all the while my rants being amplified into my ears pushing the anger and volume further. What I failed to notice was my dark abyss of a room was slowly changing colors as I got more and more heated.

...SHIT FACED, HORSE COCK!

As I finished swearing a blue streak at my luck the void around me lit up bright red as a beam shot out of my head in all directions. I looked up to see the energy being emitted from my head. It almost looked like the hazy skies of Earth, but red instead of the putrid shade of green.

I must be a unicorn!

With that possibility in mind, I attempted to control the beam emitting from my head. The problems was I had no clue how to do it, and my mind was starting to get foggy from the power it was putting out. I concentrated all my effort one last time to make the beam stop, but all for naught. The light seemed to be filling the room, which surprised me, as I assumed the space around me was infinite.

Suddenly, the light and color around me shattered to reveal a bright blue sky, in which, I found myself falling. Again. This time however, I could see ground, and it was approaching fast.

Oh god. There’s no way I’m surviving this one!

The clouds rushed past me faster and faster as I rocketed towards the ground head first. I balled up in terror, my fear of heights taking control of my actions. I closed my eyes once I was close enough to pick out the individual leaves on the trees, preparing for impact. After several seconds of cringing, nothing happened. I still felt the air rushing past my face.

Wait a minute. I don’t feel like i’m falling anymore...

I opened my eyes, only to close and reopen them in disbelief of my situation

I was flying.

The feeling was unlike any other feeling I’ve had in my whole life. I could feel the wind whipping my mane around, the tiny finger-like wisps of wind that nestled each individual feather on the new appendages on my back. Each flap of my wings powered me forward, keeping me aloft for an ever increasing amount of time. I inhaled the air that supported me aloft, enjoying the unparalleled freshness. My lungs cheered in enjoyment. I gazed up in the sky, swooping into a climb as I did so. The sky was a clear blue; a color I have only seen on Earth in pictures from the olden days. There was no pollution thicken the sky and add its rancid smell and coloring.

I exited the climb and looked over a vast field of daisies. The view from the height reminded me of when I would go on the roof of my house when I was younger. This time however, there was no smog to block the view. Yet there was so much more to actually flying. My feet were free of the ground, my body not bound by gravity’s pull, my soul free to roam wherever it pleased. The feeling of flight felt natural to me; I didn’t even think what I had to do to stay aloft. It felt like the sky was where I belonged.

The testing of my newfound abilities had tired me to the point of exhaustion. The lactic acid that had built up on my virgin muscles began the scream for me to land. The thumps of my hooves hitting the ground rang out among the whispers of the wind through a field of wildflowers, the ground soft to the touch. My breaths came heavy and ragged. The flight, while tiring, was exhilarating for every inch of my body.

I turned my head to observe my new apendages, which were folded up on my back. The silky yellow feathers were neatly nestled along the main structure that got thinner as it furthered from my torso. The protective oils of the feathers made their sunny color gleam in the bright light of the sun. Before I even thought about it, my wings unfurled themselves to their widest span. They truly were an extension of my body and mind. I marveled in the beauty of my wings.

I felt whole with them, like I transformed into a complete being. No more limitations as to what direction I could go, no more gravity keeping me down. I was free. The earth and sky were mine to roam.

I closed my eyes and started flapping slowly. More and more of my weight lifted off my legs as I quickened.the pace, gradually breaking free of gravity's constraints. The propulsion from my flapping flattened the grass beneath me as I lifted off the ground and ascended towards the heavens. I opened my eyes to look at the ground below me only to be blinded by a piercing, white light that surrounded me.