• Published 30th Jan 2012
  • 755 Views, 0 Comments

Assorted short works - Adrian Brony



A collection of drabbles, poems, short concepts, and 300 word fics.

  • ...
 0
 755

A Dash of Salt

“Come on, come onnnn! Melt!”

Rainbow Dash sweat as the double boiler lightly rattled as the water began to bubble. The blue pegasus darted her eyes around the kitchen of the library. A green flickering light emitted from a flame licking the bottom of the pan. “Spike! I need these things done and sent in twenty minutes! Can't you go any hotter?!”

The dragon hacked, gasping to draw in another breath. “The water needs to heat up slowly or the chocolate will burn. Well, that and if I go any hotter the pan will melt.”

Rainbow groaned, looking at the solid chunks of almond bark sitting in the pan. She quickly took it off the double boiler and held the pan directly above spike, “Do it! Fire! Hot! Melt!”

“But it'll bu-”

“Just do it! There's no time!”

The young dragon drew in a deep breath and shot a slow flame under the pan, trying his hardest to prevent it from burning. The chocolate quickly slipped down into a brown puddle before thickening up and becoming pasty. “STOP! Too fast!”

Spike stopped the flame as he gasped, catching his breath. Dash unceremoniously brought the pan over to the baking sheet of sparkling rose petals. “Chocolate covered candy rose petals, I thought this would be soooo easy!”

Dash grabbed a pair of tongs and carefully dipped the petal in the slightly scorched chocolate. The coating was lumpy and never, but it would have to do. She hastily tossed it onto a sheet of wax paper and repeated the process until the whole tray was covered with what would normally be an elegant and classy confection. Rainbow Dash groaned as the chocolate slowly lost its sheen. “Twilight! I need these things cooled now! Do yoy have any magic that would help?”

The purple unicorn glanced at the pegasus awkwardly “Well I have a flash freeze spell but It's sort of dang-”

“Now! Do it now!” called Dash, holding up the tray. Twilight focused as a blast of magic shot across the room, striking the tray and enveloping Dash and her desserts in an icy embrace
=-=-=-=-

Dash Ached as she opened her eyes, staring up at the hospital ceiling. Her body was wrapped in warming pads and her legs still felt cold and numb.

“Ugh... what happened?”

Twilight perked up when she noticed Dash was awake. “Dash! You were out a few hours. You rushed my spell so much I ended up overcompensating and freezing you as well as the desserts.”

Dash sighed, moving her tense muscles. “Ugh... Twilight?”

“Yeah?”

“Remind me to set my alarm so I don't forget about the deadline next time.”

Authors note: I forgot about the fic's time until like 20 minutes before the deadline... sorry.

Author's Note: this fic was written for a June 2011 speed-writing event on Equestria Daily in which I had to write a fic based on one of several subjects. The fic was due two hours from the subjects being revealed. Silly me, I had forgotten until 20 minutes before the due time, so I did everything related to this in that much time.