• Published 3rd Mar 2013
  • 3,758 Views, 183 Comments

The Earth Ponies - RomanCandle



Every Pony has magic inside. It's just buried deeper in some...

  • ...
13
 183
 3,758

Chapter 22 - Rest

The Crystal Empire gleamed behind the secure dome projected by the Crystal Heart. Within that shell, Ponies embraced each other and wept with relief. If one looked closely enough, bursts of confetti and a lightshow other than the trademark aurora could be seen gleaming through the spires, as an impromptu celebration took place.

On the outside of the dome, however, three mares walked through the blistering winds. The colors of their coats were barely visible through the layers of protective clothing. Ears were tucked snugly in thick hats, scarves were wound tightly around their faces, thick boots met almost as thick leggings that met an even thicker coat. The only giveaway that they were indeed Ponies and not animated coats were the tails of red, purple and blue that flicked on occasion.

Their backs were burdened with bulging bags. Every now and again, the mare with the blue tail would fumble a pink hoof out of the boot and into a pocket, look at a compass, and continue on, though perhaps with a variation of a few degrees.

The sky was not bright by any measure - the thick clouds kept dumping snow, blocking most light and covering the tracks of the trio within a few minutes, but even so it began to dim. A dull grey began to fade to black, save for the wandering rainbow lights of the Crystal Aurora. Before the light was fully lost, the three mares had approached an outcropping of rocks - the mountains were still some distance away - and found a degree of shelter from the wind. In the relative calm, they worked together to clear the snow and pitch a large, canvas tent. It was rough, but thick and well-lined. From the bags came all sorts of rolls of similarly thick canvas and spokes, which were set up within to form cots.

Another bag provided firewood and tinder - while the tundra was not barren, anything flammable was thoroughly soaked through with snow and ice. Pink hooves revealed themselves and struck a match, lighting the flame. Nearly instantly the fire warmed the interior of the tent, though the wind howled and raged just beyond the rocks.

Scarves were unwound and boots removed, and soon the faces of the three mares were visible and breathing the chilly - but no longer freezing - air.

Firelock sighed. "That was a very, very long walk."

Half Note rubbed a hoof through her mane - it had stuck to her head beneath the hat, and itched terribly. "Well, we actually walked less than we have before - only like half the day today."

Tornado Bolt was already laying on a cot, rummaging through one of the bags - they were all the same bland canvas, so there was no telling who had carried it. "Considering the snow, we probably traveled even less than normal, since we were moving so slow."

The Unicorn scrunched her nose at them. "I mean it was tiring - at least the Stampede was on level ground that didn't reach up to your withers."

"Yeah, okay, sure, whatever." Tornado stuck her face in the bag with her hooves, and pulled out a few tins with a red label. The pony in the picture had a large white hat and a curly black moustache. "You guys hungry? Cause I'm starving."

Half Note and Firelock didn't hesitate to nod - soon two more tins were tossed at them, along with a metal tray and a stand. Half Note cracked open the top of each tin before setting them above the fire. The wind howled.

When the sauce within the tins began to bubble, Half Note removed them carefully, and soon each of them was quietly enjoying their dinner. Firelock was the first to finish, and she sighed again. "Do you have any idea how far away we are?"

Tornado Bolt wiped a hoof across her forehead, clearing away a streak of tomato sauce. "I dunno, not like we got given an exact destination or anything. All we got is 'go all the way north then down into a cave' or something like that. How far is all the way north?"

Half Note shrugged. "Well, until there's no more north. I figure it's probably at the base of the mountains we're coming up on - I think that nopony's been across them before, so that'd make as much sense as anything else."

Firelock frowned. "I hope you're right - that we can probably reach before we get too low on supplies to come back. I'd hate if it was over the mountains - I don't think anything that lives there could be particularly friendly."

Tornado brightened. "Wanna hear a Yak joke?"

Her two friends frowned. "No."

The Pegasus slumped, and resumed smearing her food all over her face in a process generously called eating. Firelock twiddled her hooves and looked at Half Note.

"I've gotta admit, I'm a little worried. It's so cold out here - what if we use up all the firewood or get sick or hurt? It'll be the middle of winter by the time we get there, even if it is just at the base of the mountains. We...we might not make it."

Half Note slid up next to her and nuzzled her a little. "We're not stupid, even if we are just kids - when we reach half of what we brought, we turn back. We packed like, a months worth of supplies according to the Crystal Pony who sold em to us - including an emergency signal, remember?" Firelock just looked at her hooves. "If we get into really bad trouble, like we can't get out of it bad, the magic flare they gave us will fly right back to the Empire's ranger station, then guide the ranger to where we launched it. We're not the first Ponies to go out into the tundra, and we're not unprepared at all."

Firelock shuffled but conceded with a nod. She bit her lip before continuing. "So, uhm...How about the uh...Laccarentia we're supposed to be looking for. What do you think he...or she...will be like?"

Half Note cocked her head in thought. "I haven't really thought about it. I guess the other two were alright, though Aestrak was kind of cranky and Zephyr was weird. I figure he'll probably be big, I guess. I just hope he can actually give us some answers - what those two told us was pretty much that we should know, but didn't, and they couldn't explain it. I really, really don't want to have to keep walking all around Equestria forever." She kicked at the dirt. "I'd just...I'd like to be done, you know? This has been really cool, but it's also been a lot of work, and at this point I just want to know what we're missing."

Tornado Bolt groaned, her face more red than grey at this point. "I hear you on that. I swear, if this guy goes sorry, your answers are in another spirit, I think I'll just die right there."

Firelock and Half Note chuckled, and the snowstorm outside continued to roar.

Author's Note:

I'm bad at transitions, if you didn't notice.

That being said, chapters should be a little bit faster from here on out - getting between Zephyr and Laccarentia has been a huge pain in the butt, but I've had the next part playing in my head for a while - I don't need to figure out nearly as much from this point on, I just need to actually write it.

Now, I gotta see if I still have that concept sketch I did of Laccarentia a while back - I moved into a new appartment and he was just on a scrap of paper that I'd been holding onto forever - I'm sure I kept it, but I don't know where...