• ...
2
 0
 843

Somewhere in the middle

[Author's Note: It starts in the middle because I am will not be updating in chronological order until I'm more organized. I'll fix it later, guys. also, fixed grammar/spelling and paragraphing mistakes. hope you like ;)]

“But my friends don’t like my parties and don’t want to be my friends anymore!” Pinkie Pie stubbornly repeated.

“Oh, Pinkie. You know that’s absurd. We all love your parties and we would never, ever not want to be your friends!” Twilight Sparkle exclaimed.

Still, Pinkie’s hair stayed deflated and Pinkie didn’t respond. Twilight sighed. She hated seeing the happiest pony in Equestria so sad. It made her uncomfortable. It was like the world had turned upside down. Left was right, up was down, Pinkie was sad. It was an emotion she’d never seen on the playful pink party pony. Hay, it was the only emotion she’d seen on Pinkie besides pure joy. She had to cheer up Pinkie; that was all there was to it.

“Anyway,” she thought, glancing around at the assorted random objects Pinkie had been talking to just a few moments ago, “it would be best to at least get Pinkie out of this creepy place.”

She would have to try again. “Pinkie.” She said, softly now. “I love you. We were only avoiding you so you wouldn’t discover the surprise party we planned for you at Sweet Apple Acres. I came here to take you to your surprise party, and after the party I was hoping I could talk to you in private so I could give you something special.”

There was a pause. “Really? Pinkie asked, a glimmer of hope in her eyes. “She loves me?” Pinkie thought, surprised.

The worried unicorn mare nodded. “Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” Twilight Pinkie Promised™, going through the motions, though this time, she remembered to close her eye before putting a "cupcake" in it.

“YIPPEE!” Pinkie shouted, leaping into the air. “She loves me!” she thought. Twilight smiled, relieved to see her friend back to normal, hair and all. But then she looked up and gasped. Pinkie was coming back down, back first! She barely had time to think as Pinkie plummeted towards her. Somehow, Twilight managed to put her forelegs up to catch Pinkie.

The purple pony stumbled, not used to holding anything more heavy than a book bag. Luckily she just managed to keep from dropping Pinkie, muscles straining to hold the grown mare up. She probably would have been able to hold her weight just long enough to set Pinkie down carefully on the floor, if not for what Pinkie did next. The sudden sensation of somepony’s lips on hers startled Twilight, and she simultaneously dropped Pinkie and leaped backwards.

Pinkie rubbed her head where it had hit the floor, and looked up at Twilight with a hurt look. Twilight watched as Pinkie’s hair deflated in record speed. “B-b-but you said… I th-thought you loved me… You said you did!” Pinkie stammered, her eyes welling up with tears. “When in Equestria did I say that!?” Twilight asked, confused and shocked from the sudden mood whiplash.

She was even more shocked when she saw Pinkie’s face go from sadness, which was bad enough, to anger! “Just now, when you told me about the surprise party! You said you loved me. YOU. PINKIE. PROMISED.
“Wha-I--” Twilight stammered, still shocked by the pure rage in Pinkie’s eyes. Suddenly it dawned on her. “Oh… Oh, Celestia!” Twilight swore. She considered trying to explain that she meant friend love, not love love, but she glanced at the steam coming out of Pinkie’s ears and figured she had about 3.5 seconds to live. So, she did what any sensible pony would do after breaking a Pinkie Promise™. She ran.