• Published 2nd Mar 2013
  • 1,151 Views, 8 Comments

Derpy's box - Vidhwansak



After encountering Ditsy 'Derpy' Hooves, Twilight realizes that she resembles a mare in a story she has read before.

  • ...
2
 8
 1,151

Prologue

Prologue

A bell chimed joyfully as the door swung open; a lavender mare looked up from the book she was reading to see a gray pegasus mare with saddlebags clearly marked with the painting of a letter happily walking into the library. The lavender mare, named Twilight Sparkle, placed a bookmark on the page she was reading, closed the book gently, and got up with a wide smile on her face, greeting the pegasus.

"Good evening, Ditsy!" The pegasus returned the greeting with a smile while ruffling in her saddlebags.

"Hello, Twilight! You got a letter!" Indeed, the words rang true, as Ditsy pulled out a letter and waved it slightly away from Twilight's face. The lack of a response caused the pegasus to continue waving the letter in front of the unicorn with a confused expression on her face. "Twilight? Twiiiiiiiiilight? Are you okay?" The unicorn was staring at her in a rather uncomfortable way, and the pegasus was beginning to wonder if it had to do with her eyes. Ponies stared all the time at her, but she didn't mind; at least, unless they started calling her names.

Fortunately, the unicorn snapped out of the trance she was in, and hesitantly accepted the letter. "Thanks, Ditsy...I'm sorry, I'm a bit tired, and I thought I saw a trick of the light. I think Princess Celestia does that to tease me." Both mares giggled together, and then the pegasus began to walk outside of the library.

"Well, I need to deliver some more mail! See ya, Twilight!"

"Take care, Ditsy!"

After the pegasus had left, the warm smile on the unicorn's face was gone, and was replaced by a slight, thoughtful frown. "Hmm...I feel as if Ditsy...And I just lost my train of thought. Maybe sending a letter to Princess Celestia could help me! Spike!" With the sudden cry for his name, Spike promptly came out from the kitchen, with scattered 'crumbs' of sapphires across his face. Twilight blinked at the sight, and then pointed at him. Confused, the dragon wondered what was wrong until she sighed, and levitated a small napkin over, brushing away the sapphire remnants. Needless to say, the dragon did not take kindly to this.

"H-Hey! G-Gerroff Twilight!"

"Hold still, Spike!"

"No! You're attacking me with a napkin! Oh, the worst way a dragon could die!"

"Just let me wipe your mouth, and stop struggling!"

"Nothing's wrong with my mouth, Twilight!"

"Just a little bit here...And there...Stop...Done!" The unicorn tossed the now soiled napkin away into a small bin, and winked at a disgruntled little dragon, who had his back to her. "I'm sure that if it was Rarity that wiped your mouth, you wouldn't complain about it." He opened his mouth, trying to find the words to argue with her, but none came forward. Rolling his eyes, he turned around, crossed his arms, and frowned.

"Okay, point taken, no need to say anything more. What did you need me for, Twilight?"

"I want you to take a letter to Princess Celestia, Spike. Ditsy Hooves came by-"

"The pegasus that dropped a piano on you? And a lot of other stuff?" The unicorn glared at her assistant, who only smirked at her.

"Yes, the very same. Spike, I need you to take a letter because Ditsy Hooves reminds me a little too much about another mare in a story that I faintly remember reading, and it intrigues me."

"Why would that be important enough to send a letter to the princess? I mean, shouldn't you be making a friendship report instead? It's been quite awhile since you've made me write one of those, so shouldn't that be more important?" Spike grabbed a quill and some parchment regardless, ready to write a letter for her, and to later, send it.

"I don't know; however, I think I should have you write a letter and send it anyway. I can write a friendship report later."

"Actually, you mean, you have me write a friendship report later. You really need to learn to write your own letters one of these days."

"Less cheek, more writing, buster."


About twenty minutes later, after being sent via dragon breath, Princess Celestia had a welcome surprise in the form of a scroll suddenly appear next to her, and before it could land in her bowl of hot, steaming tomato soup, thus making it unreadable, a gentle shimmer of her magic caught it, and was brought closer to her. "Well well, Twilight Sparkle, it's been awhile since I've gotten one of your friendship reports, a long while indeed! I wonder what happened in Ponyville that could've caused you to send me a letter. Hmm, it could be any number of things! Just, hopefully not one like Applejack's, where she said she didn't learn anything; that one irked me a bit. Maybe you'll teach me something new that you've learned!"

"Maybe it could teach you to stop monologuing? It makes me feel like you're talking to your food, Tia, and that's...Disturbing." The princess of the sun looked up from her scroll to her sister, who was rolling her eyes in mock despair while munching on some toast. She swallowed after a moment and spoke up again upon seeing that her sister hadn't said anything. "What? I merely speak the truth." Celestia broke from her stare and giggled, then tucked the scroll under her right wing, keeping the scroll nice and safe until came the time to read it. She decided to jab back at her sister lightly.

"Maybe I'll stop monologuing after you stop insisting on having a moon pie with every single meal you take, Lulu." At this, the lunar princess looked at her sister defensively, and edged the moon pie on her plate closer to herself, afraid that it might suddenly disappear into someplace other than her stomach.

"What is wrong with wanting to partake in a dessert that shares the name with my moon?

"You eat one with every meal, Lulu...You're eating a moon pie during breakfast right now!"

"Why is that a problem?!"

"You'll spoil your breakfast!"

"The dessert tastes so magnificently sweet that I don't care about that! Besides, I went one thousand years without a single dessert. Not. A. Single. Dessert. Nothing sweet to eat at all! Could you do the same?"

"Well...No. I wouldn't take a dessert with me to every meal I eat, though! You're eating breakfast, for pony's sake! All those moon pies are going to your flanks, mark my words, Lulu."

"Hypocrite. Honestly, the treats have already gone to yours, Tia."

"LULU!"


After a verbal battle with her sister that she was sure that she had won, Celestia retired to her quarters to prepare for her sleep cycle. At least, that's what she was supposed to do. Instead, she kicked off her golden shoes and tossed her regalia carelessly; afterwards, she plopped down on the bed in an unprincess-y manner. It wasn't like anypony was going to see her like this, she reasoned, and she was still a pony, no matter how many labels got placed on her.

She unfurled her right wing to extract the scroll that had somewhat poked into her side, but she didn't mind; after all, this letter was from her student. Opening the scroll up slowly, she began to read what her student sent her.


Dear Princess Celestia,

How are you? I, myself, am doing fine in Ponyville; how could I not? Ponyville is the best place that I could ever stay in; is Canterlot the same for you? I ask this because, well, this isn't your normal friendship report, and I know I've been slacking off on those, so this is more of an informal letter. Don't worry, I promise to make some when opportunity presents itself! You're probably asking yourself now, if not a friendship report, then what else would I be (Well, okay, Spike) writing about? Well, it may just be a trick of the light (Are you teasing me at times?), but recently, Ditsy Hooves (Who is sometimes called 'Derpy', even though I believe that nickname feels wrong) came by the library with a letter (I have yet to read it, darn it!). I didn't mean to, but I stared at her for awhile, and something...Just seemed to click. I don't know why, but something did.

I have come to a conclusion, and I believe it had to do with one of your stories, although I'm not sure which one. Ditsy is a gray pegasus that works for the mail service with an average body composition and a bubble cutie mark. She would be a rather ordinary (At least, as ordinary as a pony could ever be!) pony, were it not for her eyes. They are cross-eyed, which again, reminds me of a story that I once read; oh, if only I could remember what the story was!

I'm wondering if I could request dropping by sometime and discussing this with you? The story, of course, not Ditsy. I eagerly await your reply, princess!

Sincerely, Twilight Sparkle


Well, this was certainly different from her other letters, and it certainly wasn't what she was expecting. That was good, though; getting caught off guard could be a stimulating experience sometimes. Celestia huffed as she re-read the description of the pegasus Twilight had written in, and was trying to place the pony into one of the many stories she had read in the past. Not many had the description of the pegasus. She was about to give up and think about it over tomorrow when she suddenly remembered an old tale that even she had some difficulty in remembering. Levitating a quill and some parchment over to herself, she began to write back to Twilight.


Dear Twilight Sparkle,

I must say that I was not expecting this from you, but it is a welcome surprise! I am indeed doing well in Canterlot, however, you know nobles; all talk and no fun. In regards to your question, you are welcome to join me for tea two days from now, to discuss it. There is one thing I must mention as well; I, too, must make a request from you. Do not worry, for it 'should' not be too much of a problem; at least, if the other pony is willing to go. Twilight, I ask that you inquire as to if this 'Ditsy' would also like to join us for tea if she is not occupied with any tasks.

This is merely to clarify a lead I may have in figuring out if your friend does indeed look like this pony in this particular story. It is not something you should trouble yourself over, however, for I am certain that even without your friend, I can draw what seems to currently be a strong lead on the story.

Don't slack off on making friendship reports, either!

Sincerely, Princess Celestia.

P.S: You're so cute when you get confused by 'tricks' of the light.


Celestia yawned as she finished her rather short letter, and touched it with her horn, causing the scroll to burn up and begin its journey back to Twilight, however, she had purposefully used very little magic so that the scroll would take quite a bit of time; it would appear in the morning. Satisfied with herself, she turned off the lights in her room, and prepared herself for some blissful sleep.

Author's Note:

Hey there! This story is mainly a test to help me see if I'm doing well in terms of dialogue; feel free to point out any suggestions or tips that you may have for me.

...I also have no idea what to tag this as.