• Published 24th Feb 2013
  • 3,303 Views, 13 Comments

Professor Layton and the Equine Amulet - The Maelstrom



A Mysterious artifact is revealed at the London Museum. But when the Artifact is missing. Professor Layton and Luke reveal there's more then just a missing piece of Jewlery

  • ...
1
 13
 3,303

Chapter 1 - An Invitation

To my Dear Friend,

One of my most intriguing adventures with the Professor, also happens to be the one of the few we never told anyone else about; mainly because we felt no one would believe such a tale, even if it was from someone as respected as Professor Layton.

It's an tale of Adventure, Mystery, and Ponies...


The modified red Citroën 2CV casually drove across Westminster Bridge on it's way to it's destination.

"Professor," The apprentice known as Luke started, "Remind me again why we are going to the Museum?" He asked his mentor as they went past Westminster Abbey, it's buildings and famous clock tower reflecting beautifully on the evening waters of the River Thames.

The tall driver of the Citroën chuckled, "As you know Luke, after our success in Misthallery, the curator of the museum gave us an invitation for the reveal of the museums newest exhibit. Which, as it happens, is tonight."

Professor Hershel Layton was a renowned archeology professor at Gressenheller University in London. Yet, most of his status comes from his impeccable intelligence of puzzle solving, as he recently solved a serious mystery in Luke's hometown of Misthallery.

"I also wouldn't mind looking at the recently unveiled Protoceratops exhibit." Layton finished as he adjusted his trademark black top hat.

Layton opened the glove compartment of the car and took out two sheets of paper and handed them to Luke. As he looked them over he saw that they were the invitations 'cordially inviting Hershel Layton and Luke Triton to the unveiling of the artifact known as: The Equine Amulet.'

"The...Equine Amulet?" Luke asked, looking up toward his mentor.

"I believe it's pronounced Eck-whine, in this case, Luke. Apparently, it was discovered in those recently uncovered ruins in western Ireland. They say it once belonged to an early neolithic Celtic princess, rather interesting." Layton explained as he made the left turn onto the road the museum was located on.


Both the Professor and Luke were lead through the museum after showing the female salesclerk their invitations. They went past exhibits showing dinosaur skeletons, the history of London, and even a scale model of the old Great Wheel that once was on the shore of the Thames.

"Ah...Professor Layton, it's quite a pleasure that you've decided to join us" A very smooth voice stated as the feminine figure it belonged to came into the light. Her flowing jet black hair moving seamlessly into her smooth black dress.

Instantly the salesclerk bowed at the woman, "Dr. Phantasima, I-I'm sorry. If I knew you would be out in the halls, I would have called for you to escort our guests" She said nervously as she backed away from Layton and Luke

"Oh, Marsha...no need to be sorry. We all make mistakes" Dr. Phantasima said calmly as the salesclerk put on a strained smile and briskly walked away from the trio. The doctor sighed at the display of incompetence, "Ignore her, she's new." Phantasima threw a quick, sly smile in the pairs direction, "Still, I'm surprised you actually came, Professor. I would have thought one such as yourself had a busy schedule."

"A gentleman never refuses an invitation from a lady" The Professor responded, tipping his hat slightly in Phantasima's direction. "What surprises me Dr. Phantasi-"

"Please, call me Diana, Professor" Diana interrupted, bringing a gloved hand to her chest

Layton smiled softly as he cleared his throat to start again, "What surprises me, Diana, is how we were invited in the first place. Most of the people here were involved in the investment of the excavation of the ruins, I myself are a professor and Luke is only my apprentice"

"And Assistant #1!" Luke chimed in, causing Diana to hold a small laugh while muttering the word 'Cute' under her breath

"Well I certainly couldn't pass up the chance of inviting THE Professor Layton, now could I? You are one of the best archeology teachers they have over at Gressenheller." Diana said "With you all in the London Times about how you solved the case of the 'Last Specter' in Misthallery. I simply thought-" Dr. Phantasima stopped before flashing another one of her big smiles, "Oh, but I go on. Come, let's head to the exhibit room before we're chastised about lateness." Diana said before leading Professor Layton and Luke through the museum once more.

After a few minutes of walking, Diana brought the two to a large room towards the back of the museum, situated around on the walls were pictures of the Celtic Ruins and it's discoverer, while also showing other artifacts from the ruins such as vases or jars. All around the room were the other invitees, most possible London high life, but all were drinking from wine glasses and talking amongst themselves.

But what was most interesting was toward the back of the room, it was a pedestal with a red velvet cloth covering what was under it.

"Ah, that must be where the amulet is. Come along, Luke" The Professor said before walking toward the pedestal with Luke following closely behind.

However, as Layton got close to the covered pedestal, he found himself looking what was behind it and saw another part of the exhibit; two pieces of worn canvas were laid onto tables lighted from above. Both of them were painted and the Professor wondered if these were recovered from the ruins as well.

The one on the left had a painting of what the Professor thought was the Amulet itself. It had a large purple gem in it's center with a smaller red gem connected on the bottom of the purple one, with a pink and light blue gem to the left of the purple gem and a yellow and green gem to the right, with a black lacy line connecting the pink and yellow gems, much like a piece of string.

Layton was about to look at the painting on the right, when a young woman stepped in front of him and started looking intently at the information being given on the small plaque below the canvas.

The woman was a few inches shorter then Layton, with dark shoulder-length hair that had two streaks of purple going down one side. She had on a long dark cardigan with a purple shirt underneath, frilly skirt and leggings with brown heels. She also was writing something down into a notebook, but Layton wasn't able to read the woman's handwriting.

"Excuse me, miss, but you look familiar." Layton said to the young woman, "Do you happen to study at Gressenheller?"

"Oh, huh? Sorry." The woman said as she was taken out of her intense concentration, "Um, yes. I've been studying there for the past five months, my name's Tara Streinhart." She said as she put her notebook under one arm and held the other out towards Layton

"Of course, Ms. Streinhart. I remember you took about a week of my archeology class before moving to World History. Smart girl" Layton responded as he shook Tara's hand, her frameless glasses glinting in the light as she smiled bashfully

"Oh, thanks Professor." Tara said as she took out her notebook and reviewed her notes on the second canvas painting, "Um, Professor? What are you doing here?" She asked quizzically as she looked back toward the Professor

"Same as you I suppose, here to take part in the reveal of London's latest artifact of mystery and wonder." Layton said to Tara, noticing how distressed Tara seemed at the mention of the Amulet. He was about to question her when the lights of the exhibit dimmed as Diana was seen walking toward the cloth covered pedestal.

"Ladies and gentlemen." She started, "I thank you all for coming to this grand gathering for the unveiling of the greatest archeological find in the last century. So without further ado, I give you: The Equine Amulet!" Diana said with a flourish as she took the cloth away from the pedestal

Until a combined gasp from every patron revealed that the glass case was empty save for it's red velvet pillow.

Murmurs and whispers traveled throughout the room as Dr. Phantasima was still in shock.

Someone had stolen the Equine Amulet.