• Published 18th Feb 2013
  • 1,737 Views, 19 Comments

Fallout: Equestria - Subject Delta - DerpDaHerp



Created to protect a Ministry Mare, subject Delta had never been activated. Kept confined within his mind, he had lain still for two hundred years. When discovered by raiders and sold to Red Eye, he discovers that reality is even more of a prison.

  • ...
0
 19
 1,737

Chapter One: Awakening

I awake once again to the harsh, abrupt rattling of a heavy steel chain. Glancing upwards, I see an unkempt mare with a badly stained coat and a wide variety of grotesque piercings, carrying what appeared to be a large, dirty syringe full of an unknown liquid.
Hearing her mutter "Just you fucking wait until we get a can opener big enough" brings a small smile to face. Lucky me. Normally they were more vocal than this.

Clearly their attempts to force apart my armour have been futile so far. I imagine that I won't be allowed what little privacy my armour offers for much longer. Each day I am returned to my cell with a larger quantity of dents and scratches, each deeper than the last. I know in my mind that I must act soon, but I just cannot force myself to do it.

On top of the heavy, near unbreakable chains that bind me, they subdue me with a sedative strong enough to knock me out for a long duration of time. I can only assume that this is what the mare is bringing to me. My imagination begins to run wild, picturing horrific scenes of an operating table, with a wide array of what can only be described as industrial grade metal working tools.

Wait. Is this truly my imagination, or are these memories? Either way, I feel that it is safe to assume that the operations performed on me will not be of a particularly medical nature. Perhaps today will be the day that they pry open my suit, taking away my solitude, my only respite.

I have long since learned that struggling is hopeless. But, I try nonetheless. Anything to make life a little more difficult for these bastards. I writhe in my chains, causing a large racket that the mare quickly tries to quieten with threats and insults.

"Shut the fuck up!" Is repeated several times, and yet I continue, only to be rewarded with a shock from a strange baton like device, immediately blurring my vision.

I feel a sharp, jarring pain in my arm before falling into the abyss of unconsciousness.

"Lights out, Rust-bucket."

oooooOOOOOooooo

"Mister Wither, are you alright?"
I am jerked back to reality, the grim face of a suited executive stares into my eyes.
"Yes, yes. I'm fine. Just a little distracted, is all." His mouth curls into a slight smile, before turning grim once again.

"This procedure will not be simple. You will undergo intense psychological and physiological changes. You will be a different pony, literally and figuratively."

"Don't dress it up like I've got a choice in this, Doctor Spirit. That choice was taken from me long ago." I sigh to myself, having already accepted my fate.
"I promise you, you'll be contributing massively to the war effort. Who knows, you might even end up saving one of the ministry mares!" He chuckles to himself, sounding strained and saddened. It sounds more like a sob than a chuckle, now that I think about it.

I turn away from him, before speaking clearly. "Just... If I end up protecting anyone, don't let it be Pinkie Pie."
He smirks, looking less strained than before. "Would you like me to explain the procedure?"
I shrug, nonchalantly, and he continues in a rather monotone voice.

"You've heard of Steel Rangers, I presume?"
I respond with a curt nod.
"Your armour will resemble that of the Steel Rangers. But with... extensive modifications.
Among other things, your armour will be laced with soul binding enchantments, to bind you to both your ministry mare and your armour. If you become separated, for any reason, with either of these, for a large amount of time, then you will feel yourself weaken.
Of course, these enchantments also serve to strengthen your armour beyond that of which a Steel Ranger could wish for. The soul is stronger than any steel."

The room is filled with a pregnant pause, and I am the first to break the silence.
"That sounds awfully light. You made it out to be a lot worse than that."

He grimaces, his tone of voice now a lot darker.
"I'm sparing you from the worst details."
He stands up, stretching before striking the armoured steel door with his hoof.
"Guards! We're finished here. Take him back to his cell."

oooooOOOOOooooo

Light pierces through my helmet into my eyes, and I hear a distinct buzzing sound, followed by muffled yells and shouts.
"He's moving! Knock him out again! He could damage the components!"
I attempt to raise my arm, only to find myself restrained by thick steel bands.
Thick, but not as thick as the chains. I gasp to myself, before straining against the bands will all my might, earning a loud creaking sound for my efforts.
A loud crack can be heard over the whines and shouts, before I notice a large, concealed figure approach me.
I grunt and struggle, but I am powerless to stop the syringe from being injected into a port on my arm. I feel myself drift away once more.

oooooOOOOOooooo

A smiling mare drops a small sheet onto the table in front of me. It shimmers and glows unnaturally in the light, and I am forced to squint my eyes.
The glow dies down quickly, and I am able to make out the vague shape of what appears to be a pony.
Raising the sheet up to my eyes, I see the words "Series Alpha" written at the top of the sheet. Below it is an extremely detailed diagram of a heavily armoured pony, surrounded by scribbled notations and typed labels.

"That's going to be you, sir." The mare smiles slightly, pity clear in her eyes.
"I guessed." I reply sarcastically.
The mare frowns and walks back to her desk. I'm pretty sure I caught a disapproving look there.
Everyone seems to be judging me nowadays. Some look at me with pity in their eyes, some with anger, and some with indifference.
But nobody knows how it feels to be me. To know what I have done, and to know how I'm going to be punished.
They can call me a volunteer as much as they want, but my opinion is nothing to them. I'm nothing but a test subject.

I turn my eyes back to the sheet, reading some of the annotations.
I take note of all of the hidden latches, and begin to read through the talismans. At least 3 of them seem dedicated to binding me to the suit, with the rest enhancing my abilities or dulling my senses.

One talisman in particular catches my eye. "Loyalty Talisman". What's that supposed to mean?
I turn away from the sheet, intending to ask the mare, before I feel myself being tugged back to the world of the living.

oooooOOOOOooooo

My chains feel tighter than normal. Ever so slightly. Normally I wouldn't have even taken note of this, but there is very little else to take note of in absolute darkness. I strain against my chains for what seems like hours to no avail, and soon relax, resigned to the hopelessness of my situation. There was nothing to do but wait for my next visit from the scraggy mare.

I rest my eyes for an indefinite length of time. Everything passes like a blur in here, hours synonymous with both seconds and days. I begin to recall the events of the previous week, and the memories I had uncovered. One particular memory stands out among the others, the fact that without a ministry mare and my suit, I would weaken and most likely die.
As of yet, I am fairly certain that I am quite alive. Perhaps the operation was left unfinished? It is possible that I was left bound to my suit but not bound to a Ministry Mare.

Such musings serve no purpose but to pass the time. Even if I was in danger of expiry, I have already proven beyond doubt that struggling is pointless. I resolve to bide my time, resting and feigning weakness until an opportunity presents itself. Although it is hazy and unclear, I am able to somewhat recall waking on a rudimentary operating table.

The binds there were weaker, relatively easy to break. Perhaps then I can make my escape.

I am disturbed from my plotting by the now familiar rattling of a chain, announcing the entry of the mare. However, it is not the mare that greets me, but a taller cloaked stallion. He seems much more... well off than the mare had been, perhaps holding more of a position of power. He does not taunt or goad me as he approaches, something that had become a kind of tradition with the mare.

The light shining through the now open door lights up his features, allowing me to examine him. I see not an expression of contempt that was ordinary for the mare, but a look of curiosity and awe, akin to that of a foal.

"What a marvelous creature..." He mutters to himself, before moving even closer to me. Strangely, I feel subdued, feeling no impulse to lash out at the stallion, instead simply watching with a calm attitude.

He raises himself to his full height, just a few hands below me. Fairly tall for a stallion, I presume that most would feel intimidated or threatened by his height.

"You are the most recent acquisition of Master Red-Eye. You are to serve him and a select few of his lessers, and nopony else. Do you understand?"

I stare back at him, neither rejecting nor accepting his statement. This seems to satisfy him, as he steps back a few steps.
"Behave well, and you shall be treated accordingly. Comply, and all will be simple. Rebel, and you will be punished. I cannot be clearer or more lenient than that. Do you understand?"

'Do you understand' seemed to be some sort of catchphrase for this stallion. I feel compelled to neither nod nor shake my head, and remain in silence.

He mutters something beneath his breath, before turning and trotting away.

Author's Note:

The whole first part was intended to sound more official and stiff (for lack of a better word).
If you think I overdid it, just comment about it. I know I sure think I overdid it.

As said in the description, I'm new to this, so constructive criticism is welcome.