• Published 21st Feb 2013
  • 1,527 Views, 13 Comments

Harmony Arisen - Panoramic Toast



It has been 1000 years since the regal sisters mysteriously vanished. The world has changed. Queen Trixie's forces march east, plunging the world into war on a massive scale. Six ponies from six worlds will meet. They must change the world.

  • ...
3
 13
 1,527

Chapter 11: Prelude to Battle

Chapter 11: Prelude to Battle

Applejack awoke to sudden sight of Pinkie Pie hovering over her bed, and let out a shriek. “Gosh darn it, Pinkie! What have I told you about doing that!”

“Sorry,” Pinkie said with a half hearted apology before enveloping Applejack in a hug or as Pinkie Pie called it: a “Good morning super duper hug.”

Applejack let out a sigh and rubbed the sands from her eyes. “What’s for breakfast, Pink?” she asked with a yawn.

“Pancakes!” she said, energetically. Before Applejack could respond, Pinkie Pie had left the room almost as soon as she had appeared. With another yawn, Applejack made her way downstairs to see Applebloom happily trotting from her room, adjacent to Applejack’s.

“You sleep well?” she asked the little filly.

“Yep!” she said with a smile. “What’s for breakfast?”

“Pancakes, Pinkie says.”

Applebloom nodded and happily walked beside her big sister as they made their way to the table. There, they found Granny Smith taking first dibs on the syrupy goodness as she made small talk with Clyde and Marianna. There were already empty plates sat out along the table. Applejack sat down on one of the empty seats as Applebloom sat beside her. Applebloom grabbed two stacks and sloppily laid them on her plate.

Applejack looked at her sister and gave a faint smile before taking a passing glance at the others. Slowly she began eating with a sullen look written across her face. Everything was just fine. Good food, good company. Still, she felt a great pain inside her as she looked at their happy faces. She felt a hoof on her shoulder. She looked to see Pinkie staring at her with sympathetic eyes. She jumped back briefly in surprise. When did she get here? she thought to herself.

“Applejack, what’s wrong?” Pinkie asked.

Applejack looked around to see the others staring at her curiously. She gave sigh. “It’s just....you folks have been so great to us, and I....I guess I’m really going to miss you all. Especially you, Pinkie.” Applejack felt a blush as she said her words. She was not used to expressing her emotions so openly, but what she was saying was the honest truth.

For two weeks they had lived in the Pie household. For two weeks they had lived like members of the family. Applejack and Applebloom would wake up early and help around the house while Granny Smith and Clyde would play board games or tell stories, many of which Applejack doubted had actually happened. Pinkie would always appear in the middle of whatever Applejack was doing, wearing that same goofy grin. She would wake her in the morning, she would bake her and the family treats when they had to work outside, she would walk with Applejack to her room during the night while Applejack had to shoo her away so that she could get some sleep. For one of the first times since her childhood, she felt happy. Truly happy.

It wasn’t just her. Applejack could see it on the faces of Applebloom and Granny Smith every morning as they ate breakfast together. The same infectious smile that began with Pinkie. Everywhere that she walked, she seemed to just make others stop and grin. Pinkie and her family treated them like family. They lived, laughed, ate, and slept in the same home for two weeks together, and in only two days she would go to the docks and leave them behind, possibly forever.

She felt a warmth around her shoulders as Pinkie Pie pressed herself as close as she could. “I know. I’ve helped others cross the sea before and others have lived here before, but none of them were as much fun as you guys.” she said, smiling as always. She backed up, and the brightness in her eyes forced a small smile on Applejack’s face as well. “Don’t worry! After this stupid war is over, we’ll have to get together again! We’ll have the biggest party ever!”

Applejack smiled as she imagined it. Once this war was over, anything was possible. They didn’t have a farm anymore. Maybe they could move in next to the Pie family! Applejack was certain that their family would be willing to lend them a startup investment so that they could build the basics for a small farm. Applejack’s grin grew wider as she imagined the day to day fun that it would bring. Maybe some of her friends had escaped too. She could already imagine the talking to that she would receive from BonBon.

Big Macintosh would be there, she realized. She would have to tell him about all of the adventures that she went on, trying to reach here. She would tell him about the farm, about how Pinkie saved their lives, about how they traveled from country to country, she would tell him all of it with Pinkie Pie standing right beside them wearing that same silly grin of hers.

“You’re darn right about that!” Applejack said, happily. “Ya’ll can’t get rid of the Apple family that easily!” All of them smiled and laughed together as they went back to eating. It was perfect. Still, something festered in the back of Applejack’s mind while she ate. Something felt odd, like an eeriness crawling down her shoulder. It began storming outside.

It was raining by the time Queen Trixie Lulamoon arrived at Central Headquarters, located in the capital. Trixie carefully exited the carriage as she adjusted her robe, a finely sewn lavender robe made from fur that was pinned around her shoulder with the crest of Trixie’s regime, an oddly curved crescent moon lined with a light shade of aqua and a star tipped magic wand piercing through it. Trixie walked alongside the cobblestone pathway and towards the large building of stone and mortar. At the top of the building, just above its glass doors, was a sign. Central German Offices.

Trixie stopped briefly, letting the rain crawl down her skin and soak her fur, as a group of armed soldiers, dressed in dark purple mail with heavy coats underneath. They all marched beside Trixie, forming two columns along her side. Trixie continued her pace and entered the building, where she was greeted by an earth pony stallion wearing a thick pair of horn rimmed glasses.

“Hello, my queen,” he said in an eloquent voice.

“Brigadier General Stonewall. Trixie was not expecting your company,” Trixie spoke plainly.

Stonewall propped up his horn rimmed glasses. “The generals grow restless,” he said with a thin smile as he led the way. The Central Headquarters of Germaneigh were a crowded place filled with working officers and government employees. There was a distinct manner in which these ponies feverishly worked. Work hard. Work efficiently. Work for the glory of the empire! the banners that laced their walls said. And so they toiled, and they worked for their approval and for the betterment of their empire.

Ever since Trixie had taken control of the country nearly five years ago, the people had gained a new sense of nationality. For the glory of Germaneigh! the people cried. For the queen! the peasants had cheered. They ate up Trixie’s words like cake as she showered them with promises of hope and prosperity and promises of returning the country to its former glory.

She walked past the busy ponies and through the crowded rooms, escorted by her guards, and entered down a long corridor paved with gray stones. She soon approached a curved stairwell and descended, passing by several checkpoints guarded by ponies armed with hoof-guns and hoof-blades alike.

As they descended, Stonewall led the group. “Queen Trixie, have you considered.....the generals’ proposed ideas?”

“And what ‘proposed ideas’ would those be?” Trixie asked with an annoyed frown.

“The suggestion of....betrothal. They have argued that it would help insure order to create a lineage in the event of your.....incapacity to serve.”

“Incapacity to serve,” she repeated, offended by the very concept. “Trixie is very healthy and has no plans to die any time soon.”

“Nopony does, your excellency. However, things do occur. One could argue that it would insure order and progress on all fronts. Consider, if you will, the Solarian court. King Filthy Rich rules the land with unlimited authority. However, the king as powerful as he may or may not be is not all seeing and cannot be every place at once. That is why they have a court. Although their queen is long gone, they have a line of princes and princesses to help insure the flow of order, governing various provinces and handling any order that would be deemed to petty for the king. This helps insure a ‘flow’ of power among the monarchy. Unlike them, the German royal court consists solely of you and your retainers.”

“I trust that you aren’t trying to compare me and my empire to those filthy Solarians?”

“Of course not, your excellency,” he humbly replied. “However, it does not help to look to outside sources for guidance. You have no heir. What would happen in the extremely unlikely event of your....err...death?”

Trixie sighed. “Only you would be so bold to speak to Trixie about such things. Why do I keep you around, again?”

“I have my...uses,” he replied with a grin.

“Anyway,” Trixie said, “If anything were to occur that would prevent Trixie from ruling, all power is set to transfer to General Field Marshall Siegfried, whom Trixie trusts with her very life. Trixie has no need for kings or princes. Also, think of this. If Trixie were to become married to some lucky stallion, what would that do to the balance of power? What monarchies are you aware of where the queen rules over the king? The only way to ensure my absolute rule is by absolute control. I will not have anypony interfere in that process.”

Stonewall shrugged. “As you wish, my queen. I was only voicing the others’ concerns. Also, I have a slight.....request.”

“A Request? What would that be?” she asked, growing impatient.

“I am in need of more....test subjects.”

Trixie gave an annoyed sigh. “Was the last shipment of prisoners not enough? Nor the thousands of scientists working directly under your disposal? Trixie has already increased the efforts in locating the remaining ponies with ties to the Apple family in German controlled territory, and Trixie has began expanding resources for our currently existing camps. However, if you still insist on stretching Trixie thin on resources, Trixie suppose she can indulge you. We are closer to our final plan, but it will mean nothing if your research does not yield proper results. Do what you must, just do your job.”

Stonewall gave a small bow as they reached the bottom of the staircase. “Thank you, your majesty. I assure you, your donations will be used quite well.”

Trixie ignored him and reached a metal doorway guarded by two armored stallions. The two let them through and they entered a seemingly endless corridor, surrounded on all sides by stone. At the end, they reached another metal door. Upon opening it, they reached facility’s hidden bunker which lay nearly 5 stories underground.

Inside, various officers worked typewriters and radio equipment. Ponies ran to and from, relaying orders. Trixie walked past them and towards another door that was guarded on all sides by no less than twenty armored stallions. They all saluted Trixie as she walked through the door with Stonewall following closely behind.

Through the door was a small, dimly lit room where five sharply dressed officers stood by a round metal table, standing over maps and papers. Trixie approached the table, followed by General Stonewall.

One of the officers looked up from the map, wearing 4 stars on his lavender striped, green coat. He was an older stallion of nearly seventy, easily thee oldest among the other generals. He stood from his chair shakily and stared at Trixie with whitened eyes. “Your majesty,” he said in a gruff voice. "And I see that you’ve brought Stonewall.”

“General Kingsley. Good to see that you’re still breathing,” she dryly said as she sat by the elder general. Stonewall followed and sat by Major General Spades, a old mare who wore her white mane in a tight bun.

“General Field Marshal Siegfried is currently leading our ground and low aerial forces south. They should arrive at New Cloudsdale within two days,” Spades said.

From the corner of the table, a middle aged stallion with a rugged brown beard and a curled mane faced Trixie. His jacket bore two stars and his tag on the front read Von Baronwright. He spoke in a suave voice, reminiscent of the upper class ponies from northern Germaneigh. “Your majesty, I still believe that sending the Veranderung would be our best chance to overtake the city.”

“No,” Trixie said firmly, “If we abandon its post in Levintrot, it’ll weaken our control over the East Lunarian territory that we've seized. Five war ships is more than enough to secure the area including the three that belong to Neighpon. Along with our armed forces that march south, they’ll have no choice but to surrender.”

“What about the alliance’s forces?” Von Baronwright argued. "If we’re not careful, they could overwhelm our ground forces. Word is that they're sending Britannia's shield."

A mare to Trixie’s left, with a long black mane and a silver barrett pointed a hoof along the coastline. Unlike the others, her jacket bore the colors of Neighpon. Red with gold lines were embroidered along the edges of her jacket, complementing the four golden stars near her shoulders. Gold Moon, her tag read. “Neighpon’s forces are arriving along the coastline. They’ll be facing armies on both sides, and our forces will be blocking General Soarin’s forces from intervening. It will be enough to seriously hinder any efforts of stopping the assault. Not even the shield of Britannia will be able to match our might.”

A voice rose from the argument. A timid voice from the back of the table. He was an earth stallion in his early forties, the youngest of the group besides Trixie, and he wore a thin mustache and shortened brown mane. His jacket bore a single star, and his tag read Stag. “D-Do they know of our true intentions?” he asked softly.

“No,” Trixie answered. “We have no reason to believe so. Although, they are most likely suspicious of our intent to attack a nonessential East Lunarian city, they do not know of what lies there.” She stopped a moment and stared at Stag with questioning eyes. “Why are you so afraid, Brigadier General? Something has you....one edge.”

“N-Nothing, your highness,” he spoke with a tinge of fear.

“You have only recently been promoted, Stag. Many of the officers who voted on your promotion, mentioned a certain....sense of honor that you had. Many of the top ponies were hesitant to let you in on our plans. I only allow those with unwavering resolve to join in on my vision.”

Something broke inside Stag after Trixie’s words as if he saw the futility in hiding his feelings. “This plan of yours. Are you aware of the implications?”

Trixie leaned back in her chain and felt the side of her robe with her hoof, feeling the edges of her sheathed blade. Across from her, Stonewall adjusted his glasses and relaxed his muscles, letting his earth pony magic flow through his body. No one could see the floor cracking and the stone breaking apart beneath his hooves as plants began to sprout around his hind leg. There was a strong tension in the room as the other generals gave Stag fierce glances.

“If you succeed in these plans, what of the cost? What of the lives of our soldiers spent in the process? What of the innocents?” Stag continued. Stonewall was about to lunge at him, when he saw Trixie stand and make her way closer to Stag.

One moment Stag was spouting more words of justice and cursing Trixie’s plans. The next, Trixie had pulled her saber from its scabbard with her telekinetic grip, its golden handle glistening with rhinestones, and slashed his throat in a single fluid stroke of her blade. He was on the ground writhing in pain for several seconds before his body lay motionless, the life torn from his eyes.

“Guards!” Trixie called out as several ponies came through through the door. “Dispose of him,” she cooly said as she sat back down, letting the guards haul off his body as blood dragged along the stone tiles.

After a short moment, Trixie resumed. “If anyone does not swear full loyalty to the cause, do not think that your transgression will be forgiven. However, those of you who assist me shall obtain great power and be rewarded greatly for your resolve. Once we have control of New Cloudsdale, the first part in the final stage of our operations will begin. Soon, we shall obtain Ragnarok and with it, the world.”

Rarity slumped in her leather chair beside Time Turner as they waited in the underground bunker, several hundred meters below Camp Unita. Rarity tightened her forelegs around her dress, a long purple gown draped in little red gemstones that complimented the color. It was cold as ice down there, and Rarity was growing ever impatient as time went by.

“Well, they’re certainly taking their sweet time getting here,” Rarity groaned. Time Turner sat beside her, next to a long round metallic table that was cluttered with papers and maps.

“I’m sure they’ll be here soon,” Time Turner optimistically said as he tightened his grip on his light brown overcoat. Across the table, General Trot, who had been voted supreme commander of the alliance forces, began pointing at various points on the map and communicating with Lieutenant General Fleetfoot, one of the generals sent over from the Eastern Lunar Republic. Beside him, several other generals sat and listened intently. It was two days until the assault on New Cloudsdale was set to begin. Generals and officers from across Solaria, Britannia, East and West Lunaria, as well as escaped soldiers from German occupied lands gathered in Camp Unita, many departing to take part in the battle. This would be the first collaborative effort by the newly formed alliance.

There was a clattering of hooves outside the metal door that stood as the room’s only entrance and exit. The doors swung open to reveal Pencil Pusher with his usual slicked back mane and black tie. Behind him stood ten ponies in heavy silver armor that bore a gliding eagle, the symbol of the alliance, and were armed with hoof-blades and hoof-guns alike. “King Rich and the royals have arrived. President Spitfire should be arriving shortly.”

“Excellent,” Rarity smiled as Pencil Pusher moved out of the way to let King Filthy Rich enter the room, followed by Princess Cadence, Princess Diamond Tiara, and several of his guards, all dressed in gold. King Filthy Rich wore a fur cloak, dyed in gold that was hooked along his shoulder by a silver crest that bore the golden sun of Solaria. On his slicked back mane was a shining golden crown, encrusted with fire-red rubies.

His daughter wore a bright lavender dress with silver fetlocks covering all four hooves. On her head, as her namesake and cutie mark, she wore a silver tiara with diamonds lacing the endpoints. Her mane was styled into a curly slosh of indigo with white streaks. She walked haughtily beside Princess Cadence, who was wearing an elegant blue dress and a had her multicolored mane styled into a bun. Above it, she wore a small amethyst laden gold crown that matched her similarly styled golden fetlocks. Unlike Diamond Tiara, Cadence seemed to walk in a much more subtle stride, dignant and truly regal if Rarity had ever seen it.

In front of the two, Filthy Rich walked with the weight of the world on his shoulders and heavy bags under his eyes. He faced Rarity and dipped his head slightly. “It’s a pleasure. You must be Madam Rarity. I don’t believe we’ve met in person. As you can probably tell, I am King Filthy Rich, reigning monarch to the Solar Empire of Solaria. This is my daughter, Princess Diamond Tiara. And this is Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, although she prefers to simply be called Cadence. Both of them are my potential heirs, so I decided that it would be best to show them the responsibilities that come with governance.”

Rarity smiled.”The pleasure is mine, King Rich. We were just about to get started as soon as President Spitfire arrives.”

Diamond Tiara examined the room thoroughly, scrutinizing everything. “Is this dumb place really the war room? And who’s that weirdo?” she asked, pointing a hoof to Time Turner.

Time Turner jumped from his chair. “Pardon, your majesty,” he said with a bow. “My name’s Time Turner. I’m representative from the intelligence branch of the Defense Ministry. Think of me as sort of an....analyst...strategist...type pony."

“Excellent,” Filthy Rich said. Diamond Tiara walked up to Time Turner and extended her hoof, expectant of a kiss to her hoof.

Time Turner took notice of her and bore a shocked expression. “How could I forget about you!” he said as he smiled and shook her hoof, much to Tiara’s surprise. “Nice to meet you! Be sure to stay in school and eat your fruits and veggies! Not pears though, pears are disgusting,” he added as he released her hoof. Diamond Tiara silently fumed before facing away. Angrily, she pouted off, glaring daggers at Time Tuner.

Time Turner turned his attention to the quiet alicorn standing behind Filthy Rich and bowed. “You must be Princess Cadence! I’ve heard an awful lot about you! First alicorn in nearly a millennium; you’ve got a bright future ahead of you!”

Cadence chuckled. “I sure hope so. Everypony’s got a lot of expectations for me to live up to.”

“I’m sure you’ll do just fine,” Time Turner reassured her.

They continued to chat idly amongst themselves for several minutes before the doors were thrust open by a pegasus mare with a bright yellow coat and a blazing orange mane. She wore a short sleeved blue jacket with the crest of the Lunar Republic on both shoulders. In her mouth, a cigar hung as bits of ash fell to the stone tiles. She paused her stride and gazed at the room suspiciously before speaking. “So everyone’s here? Let’s get started.”

Spitfire walked confidently, only looking forward. “I hope your ride here was pleasant,” Rarity sincerely said.

“Yeah,” she said, breathing out smoke. “Pretty harmless. I was attacked on my way to to my airship. Some rebel hotshots.”

“Oh my! Are you okay?” Rarity asked.

She laughed. “Am I okay? We haven’t met in person have we, Prime Minister? Let me ask you something, did you see me being escorted by any bodyguards?”

Rarity paused. “I don’t believe so. I only saw you walking through those doors by yourself. Are you telling me that you took the journey here all by yourself?”

“No,” she chuckled. “I have drivers and whatnot. I needed a pilot and a crew to operate my airship as well.”

Rarity stood shocked. She had heard stories of President Spitfire’s fighting prowess before. During the Great War, she had earned the title “The Blazing Dagger” due to her speed and skill during the Siege of Las Pegasus and Ghastly Gorge. It was said that she was born on the battlefield by a pregnant soldier who died during childbirth and rescued by passing Lunarian soldiers. No one knew for sure, the only thing that they knew was that she was not a mare to make enemies with. Everyone learned that after the Great War, when she stained the halls of the Lunarian senate red with the blood of former leaders and dignitaries as hundreds of soldiers walked by her side.

“I see,” Rarity simply said. “Well, now that you’re all here, let’s get down to business, shall we?”

Spitfire and Filthy Rich nodded as they followed Rarity to the table, where maps law sprawled out. General Trot nodded and began. “To start off, we’ve gained intel that indicates Germaneigh and Neighpon are just over forty eight hours away from New Cloudsdale. The reinforcements from Camp Unita arrived yesterday and are currently waiting for them to attack.
Unfortunately, General Soarin’s forces are being cut off by Trixie’s army to the far east.”

Trot pointed a hoof to New Cloudsdale and pointed north towards a rocky overpass. “General Field Marshall Siegfried is marching south from Pegasicillia. We estimate around 50,000 ponies under his command.” He moved his hoof down and further west. “We’ve also received word that they’re sending five brigade class warships from the west, along East Lunarian lines.”

Lieutenant General Fleetfoot pointed to the coastline. “Neighpon is also taking part in the invasion, planning to take from the eastern coast with an estimated 70,000 troops and three fighter class warships.”

King Filthy Rich stared at the map, contemplating. “We’re sending our forces in from the sea, correct. Won’t we simply be sending them in only to be surrounded on all sides?”

Trot gave smirked. “That’s what we want Germaneigh to think. We’ve made it very clear that we’re sending out an army of 100,000.” He dragged his hoof towards New Cloudsdale. We sent ten brigade class warships and 30,000 troops directly through the New Cloudsdale port. The New Cloudsdale guard consists of roughly 15,000 troops.” He pointed west, towards the Zebrican continent. “What they don’t know is that we sent roughly 70,000 troops along the Zebrica coastline two days ago. They are correct in their assumption that we intend to come by sea.”

He glanced up from the map and smiled at Rarity and Time Turner. “Britannia has the largest naval reserve in the world. We have stealth class transportation ships designed to transport them across the sea, undetected. Afterwards, they’ll depart from the East Lunarian coastline, about 160 kilometers west of New Cloudsdale. New Cloudsdale is surrounded on both sides by a large mountain range and several acres of forest. They’ll head north from the shore with half going over the mountain pass and half going below, through the forest.”

“That should help our forces remain inconspicuous,” added in Fleetfoot. “We wouldn’t want to draw any unwanted attention.”

“Impressive,” Spitfire said as she tapped her chin. “We have native Lunarians on our side who are used to traversing the terrain. That should give us quite the advantage. However, there is one problem with this plan.”

“What would that be?” Trot questioned.

“That still leaves New Cloudsdale open for an attack from Neighpon. Even with all your forces stationed at New Cloudsdale, it’s 45,000 to 70,000.”

As they began bickering, Rarity examined the map carefully, her brain cycling through a number of solutions like grasping at straws. Her eyes widened as an idea creeped into her mind. Time Turner walked beside her and whispered in her ear. “You see it don’t you.”

Rarity nodded and coughed loudly, drawing the attention of the room. “There’s a reason why Neighpon has been keeping its attacks close to the shore. They wish to avoid fighting in Lunarian territory. They’re used to fighting on sea and on peninsulas. They know that they have the advantage if they stick to the coastline. The key to victory is drawing them out from their comfort zone.”

“How do you suppose we do that?” Spitfire questioned.

Rarity pointed to New Cloudsdale. “It’s risky, but if we take a chunk of the forces stationed in New Cloudsdale and move them northeast, they’ll be right above them. We can use a few of our airships as a distraction and keep their airships busy. Meanwhile, we attack them from the north, ambush them, and draw their attention. While we maintain their attention, we have our forces continually draw back and force them deeper into Lunarian territory. The mountain sides near New Cloudsdale are dangerous and if we can find the right pony who knows the terrain, we can use it to our advantage. If we lack numbers, we must make up for it in taking advantage of our enemy’s weakness.”

They all began nodding and exchanging curious glances. “But is it worth it, if it means limiting the forces remaining in New Cloudsdale?” asked King Filthy Rich.

“Yes, unfortunately it is the only way. If we leave things as they are, we’ll lose them to the Neighpon onslaught.”

Spitfire was the first to resign. “It makes the most tactical sense. We can divert 10,000 troops from New Cloudsdale.”

They all nodded in agreement and continued to play the role of general and commander. Rarity continued to speak her mind and listen the mares and stallions in the room. They were all playing a very dangerous game against a very dangerous enemy.

In the snowy roads of the Eastern Lunar Republic, General Siegfried made his way through the snow. He was draped in a long purple cape that wrapped around his shoulders, bearing the crest of his queen. Underneath it, he wore a light set of chainmail greaves that covered all four legs as well as a light tunic. On each hoof, he wore matching fetlocks which helped him maneuver around the snow. Over that, he wore a silver chestplate. He wore no helmet.

There was no need when his very face was weapon of fear. Across countries, they told of the terrible might of General Siegfried, master of magic and conquest. They told of the terrible night in which he single handedly slaughtered King Ponino’s royal forces with a small azure unicorn by his side. One by one, they came at him as Germaneigh’s strongest warriors, and one by one they fell before him. Even as the frightened king sent stallion after mare in his pursuit, they all met the same fate. But it was not he who usurped the mighty king. No, it was Trixie, the observant unicorn who walked beside him, whom he gave that honor. It was Trixie, his queen, who took her blade and tore down the mighty king from his throne and stole the crown from the king’s bloody scalp, placing it upon her own.

It was here that Siegfried marched under her orders. It was here that he would kill and siege, all in the name of his queen. A stallion wearing a grey tunic that covered his light blue coat hovered just above Siegfried. He had a long, dark blue mane and deep purple eyes. Behind him, two other pegasi flew. One of them was a slender dark black mare with a silver mane and the other a large yellow coated stallion with a curly red mane and a barely fitting steel chestplate.

“We’re about 24 hours away from New Cloudsdale. Apparently, Neighpon is about the same distance. I hope they don’t get there before we do. I’d hate to miss out on the fun. If we beat them quick enough, maybe we’ll manage to nab a few mares to take back home. I heard those Britannian mares are squealers,” he said with smirk.

Siegfried regarded him with a look of disgust. “Talk of slaughter and rape as if it were a game. You remind me of a certain pegasus, Major Jolt.”

He smiled. “Colonel Sharp? I hope so! With her guidance, she’s going to help the three of us become strong,” he said, regarding the two pegasi behind him.

“Excellent,” he sarcastically remarked. “I’m sure you, Lieutenant Kling, and Captain Ripple will do your teacher proud and become wondrous psychotic killing machines. Now, will the three of you do your job and scout ahead?”

“Yes sir!” they barked as they flew on ahead. Even as they passed, Siegfried could only feel a strange pity for those three. They had chosen their idol and they had chosen the most fearsome and unstable kind a young soldier could choose. He sighed in relief at the fact that Trixie kept Colonel Sharp up north to deal with protecting the eastern cities from any foreign attacks or uprisings.

This was the price of war, he thought. Corruption and loss of innocence of the youth. He knew those feelings all too well. He was only just passing thirty-two and yet there he stood, commander of the most powerful army in the world. All of this is necessary, he repeated to himself as he strode. Sometimes, his resolve was the only thing that kept him sane anymore. In all the years, that was the only thing that was a constant that no one could tear from him.

And so, he continued marching through the snowy roadside with an army of 50,000 at his back.

Twilight Sparkle continued to traverse down the rocky incline, shivering from head to hoof from the cold. As a unicorn fighter she needed her movement to be flexible and maneuverable unlike the rocky earth ponies who relied on sheer endurance. She was dressed in a light grey chainmail tunic with wool greaves covering her forelegs and hindlegs from the cold. Over her tunic, she wore a steel chest plate with the alliance eagle at her chest .

To her side was Star Dust, who opted to dress similarly, except where Twilight had opted to wear a chest plate, she instead wore an additional layer of wool and leather. Steel will slow me down and make me more visible, she had said.

In front of them, Shining Armor walked alongside one of his fellow field officers and discussed logistics. Ahead of them, more groups formed, with the entire group being led by General Blackhoof, one of King Filthy Rich’s own military advisors. He was much older than Twilight had imagined. The cold winds blew against his chalky white beard, and the rising sunlight almost seemed to reflect off his head, bald as an eagle.

Currently, they walked over the mountains in a group of nearly 35,000. It was a long journey to get there, with Twilight being surrounded by 70,000 mares and stallions from various nationalities.

They had traversed the coast of the Zebrica continent by automobile and boarded strange Britannian ships that guided them across the sea. When they arrived on the East Lunarian shores after nearly 24 hours of being cramped in a ship, they split up into two groups, with one half scaling the mountains and the other walking the forest below, covered by the mountain’’s shadow.

They were close the enemy battlement, Shining Armor had informed his team, consisting of nearly 200. They had been scaling the mountain for nearly two days, setting up camp at night. She didn’t sleep though. How could she?

She was about to be thrusted into actual combat for the first time. Weeks of study and training should have prepared her. Still, she felt uneasy. It was easy to read about it and formulate what to do and when to do it. It was easy to make plans. Now, things were different.

She could feel the bitter cold biting into her flesh, she could feel the chill in the air and the silence and uncertainty of the night, unsure whether or not it would be her last. Even reading, her number one source of joy, could barely bring her comfort. She worried about Spike. She worried about her mother in that three shaped library. I’ll come back, she repeated to herself. After this war, I’ll come back, I promise.
Still, she began to wonder if she would be ready. She and Star Dust had trained long and hard for this moment. Would it all be enough? Siegfried would be here, she was almost certain. He was just another obstacle that stood in the way of her promise with Star Dust. To be the strongest. To bring an end to war.

“Twilight Sparkle,” she heard Shining Armor call out. Twilight increased her pace and walked beside him. “Twilight, are you okay?” he asked. “I know this will be your first taste of combat. How are you holding up?”

“I’m fine,” she reassured him. “I’ve been reading and practicing my spells to take my mind of it. I’ll be okay.”

He smiled. “I’m sure you will. If you need anything, talk to me. I’m your captain. The safety and well being of my ponies is my number one concern.”

“Sure thing,” Twilight smiled back, falling back behind him.Something about his smile always made Twilight feel safe. It felt so familiar; it made her think of home. It made her feel protected. Twilight heard Star Dust’s voice next to her.

“Be ready for anything,” Star Dust said, looking forward. “I have a bad feeling about this.”

“About what?”

“We’re close,” she said. “We passed the enemy airships nearly a day ago. We’re getting closer to Siegfried, I can feel it.”

Shining Armor looked back. “Remember,” he said to the two of them. “Siegfried is extremely dangerous in combat. Don’t engage him by yourself.”

They nodded as a yell came from the front. “We’ve spotted their forces 2 kilometers north of here! We’re regrouping with the teams from the forest.”

Shining Armor nodded and tapped a hoof to his neck, sparking the radio set that ran from his ear to his neck. “Teams Bravo, Foxtrot, and Kilo hold tight and wait for my mark.” He turned to face the others. “Everyone else with me! We need to regroup at the base and prepare for the ambush!”

Twilight Sparkle and Star Dust nodded as they followed behind Shining Armor. Meanwhile, similar shouts were being made all across the mountain slope. They were close to the base, Twilight could see. She could hear the faint clattering and clanking of metal as they rushed down. Just below, ponies gathered from out of the woods below. Several ponies raced in the opposite direction, trying to gain higher ground for the assault. Twilight galloped down, her heart racing as she heard the stomping of hooves in the distance.