• Published 7th Feb 2013
  • 2,179 Views, 24 Comments

Broken Swords and Battle Scars - moonblossom131



In war-torn Equestria, two pegasi's love blossoms. While the rest of their country is at war, they flee to the Arctic north, and soon find that what they were looking for will take far more than will power to retrieve.

  • ...
1
 24
 2,179

Sonic Lightboom

Chapter 4

“Mom?” a muffled voice. “Mom?”

“I don’t think she’s going to wake up.”

“I can’t believe Spitfire did this!”

The two male and female voices bickered with each other. They grew from nearly inaudible to clear.

“Oh my head,” I groaned, trying to stand up.

“Wow, Mom, hold on!” the male voice said. I opened my eyes to see the two foals of Spitfire.

“Spectrum? Harp? What are you doing here? What am I doing here?”

“Oh, good, you’re awake!” Harp’s voice rang sharp and clear. “I’m sorry, but Spitfire needed to get some answers out of you.

“Whaddayoumean?” I said, my words slurring.

I opened my eyes and blinked a few times to see where I was. Cold, metal walls stared silently at me. There were no windows. Just a steel door at the end. The ground was hard and see through. There were ponies moving beneath me. I felt like I would fall through the air, straight down onto those ponies, but I pounded into my head that it was the floor. I noticed a little gray box with wires running from it to the floor. I realized the clear plastic retracted. The steel door opened and Spitfire, wearing sunglasses, walked into the room. With her was a unicorn levitating a notepad and a quill.
“Spectrum Flash, Spectra Harp, leave now,” Spitfire demanded, not even looking at them.

“But we-”

“NOW!”

The two teens left the room. The unicorn, with his lifeless gray coat and drooping gray mane, shut the steel door. A new energy rushed through me at Spitfire’s nagging words.

“How dare you talk to your own children like that!” I said in a dark voice.

“I need you to answer some questions,” Spitfire said, taking off her glasses. She ignored me completely. “You were due back here two days ago. Where were you?”

“Answer my question first!” I shouted.

“I won’t listen to you unless you are answering my questions,” Spitfire spat, her voice like poison. “Where. Were. You?”

“I was navigating through Everfree,” I said coldly. I sat down in the cold metal chair and scooted closer to the cold, metal table.

“It shouldn’t take you two days to do that.”

“Fine,” I said even more coldly. My veins were filling with ice again. Yet, like always, I pushed it away. “I was going to the Arctic north.”

“Why?”

“To check for weaknesses,” I lied. “So we can take them over.”

Spitfire placed her two forelegs on the cold, metal table. “I can tell that you’re lying.”

“I’m not lying.”

“You are lying.”

“I’m not lying.”

“You are lying.”

“I’m not lying.”

“You are lying!”

“Nope.”

The unicorn stared at Spitfire, who’s cheeks were burning red, with bored, narrowed eyes. “Mam,” he said in his dull, monotone voice. “This isn’t getting anywhere.”

“Okay then,” Spitfire grinded her teeth. “Onto the next question.”

“Bring it,” I smirked.

“Are you or are you not pregnant?”

My face ran cold. I started to sweat. My ears twitched. It was a few tense moments before I said – “No comment.”

Spitfire muttered something inaudible.

“The answer is yes, or no. So what is it, Rainbow?”

“No.”

“Then why were you vomiting in my daughter’s bathroom?” Spitfire challenged. I shrugged.

“I guess food poisoning.”

“Oh for the love of-” Spitfire just broke off with a heavy breath. “Okay, listen, every time that you answer a question wrong, we are going to retract the floor a little bit. By the time that it is retracted fully, you will fall to the ground.

I smirked. “Okay,” I said. I had a trick up my sleeve. “Try me.”

Spitfire cleared her throat. “Are you or are you not fighting for Celestia?”

“I am not.”

“Okay,” Spitfire had the unicorn pull the lever beside the gray box. The floor retracted a little and I just smiled. Are you or are you not fighting for Luna?”

“I am not.”

“What but- pull the lever, Horace!” The unicorn pulled the lever.

“Are you or are you not a soldier?”

“I am not.”

The floor retracted again. I looked down to see guards clearing the area. A dark hole was opening where the ponies used to walk. It seemed to go down for miles. I smiled at this.

“Are you or are you not a rebel?”

“I am,” I said with a smile.

Spitfire grinded her teeth. Horace pulled the lever. The chair beneath me tipped dangerously. I just walked away and sat on the ground.

“Are you or are you not a citizen of Equestria?”

“Depends on what Equestria you’re talking about.”

Horace pulled the lever.

“That’s not an answer, Rainbow Dash,” Spitfire said coldly. Her voice was dripping poison. But I just smiled.

“Well, I just wanted clarification,” I smiled tightly. “Are you talking about the Equestria before Celestia went insane? Before you started torching villages? Before you orphaned countess foals?”

Spitfire’s cheeks grew cherry red. She opened the gray box and pressed the red button. She and Horace left the room. A loud (and rather annoying), gravelly beeping sound went off with a female voice counting down from ten. I just examined my hooves as the voice reached five… four … three… two… one.

A loud metallic scraping sounded as the whole floor fell from underneath me. I fell instantly. The air was rushing on my skin and it blew my mane upwards. But even as I fell down into the deep, dark hole, I just closed my eyes and enjoyed the cool prickle of my coat and the wind in my mane. I smiled and opened my eyes suddenly. I spread out my wings and made my body as straight as a board. I twitched my feathers so that the friction slowed me down. The rushing of the wind stopped in my ears as I fluttered my wings gently and touched the ground. It was cold and sticky. But still, I stayed where I was.

“Mom!” Harp’s voice came echoing down to me. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine!” I said.

I heard a loud gasp from the ponies that must’ve watched my leap of faith. You can’t kill Rainbow Dash.

“Oh, thank Celestia!” Harp breathed.

“Do NOT thank Celestia,” I screamed. “Thank me for saving myself. I don’t need someone to save me. I don’t need someone else to take credit for what I did. The first rule of a rebel: You are alone.”

“But-”

I spread my wings and flew upwards as fast as possible. I was flying so fast that the colors around me were no longer dark and crumbling. They were streams of white slashing through the vibrant blues. The air once again made a tight triangle around me. A rainbow burst from behind me.

“Come on, come on!” I grit my teeth. “Let’s go already!”

I smiled a Pinkie Pie smile as I heard the second blast from behind me. I looked back to see a brilliant white explosion, with sparks flying in every direction and a fire-like comet tail blazing from behind me. It was amazing! It was even more beautiful than I would’ve thought it to be. I blasted through walls and doors and even metal without getting a single scratch. I flew high into the night sky, going higher and higher and faster and faster, almost touching the stars with my hooves, but I realized that might not be the best idea. So I directed my wings downward at an angle and fluttered gently. I caught my breath and looked down. The castle was a little square smidge from way up here. Looking closer, I saw some Pegasus flying up to me.

“You can’t catch me now, Spitfire!” I yelled.

“Not… her…” a voice panted.

Oh dear, I thought.

I quickly flew down to where the Pegasus was, in only a matter of seconds. Spectra Harp stared at me with wide eyes, full of fear and concern.

“Mom, I didn’t know you could do that!” she said once she caught her breath.

“Until a few days ago, neither did I,” I informed her. “Now, I need you to tell Spitfire that I will leave her sight forever and not cause any more trouble for her if she lets my husband go.”

“I don’t know if she’ll even listen to me-”

“Please, Harp.”
“Okay,” she sighed. “I’ll at least try.”

I smiled at her and flew onto a branch of one of the rather large trees around the fortress. I watched Harp as she tried to reason with Spitfire. Harp’s body flew upwards a little in anger, and Spitfire’s body rose higher. I saw Sundrops try and interfere with their conversation, but Spitfire shooed him away. Harp just turned to him, and then flew up to me. Her orange eyes were exploding with anger.

“She won’t agree,” Harp said angrily, landing next to me. “She’s about to fly up here herself!”

I rolled my eyes. “Leave it to me.”

I zoomed away from the tree branch and Harp struggled to follow. I swirled around tree branches but eventually crossed the wall and landed face-to-face with Spitfire.

“I’m willing to bargain,” Spitfire said. “But I need something more than just you silence.”

“I’m listening.”

“So are we!” Spectrum said awkwardly. I took a quick look around and realized that there were a lot of other ponies just watching our half-argument. I shrugged and stared Spitfire down. She returned the gesture.

“I don’t mind,” Spitfire said.

“And neither do I,” I said directly afterwards. “Now, tell me, commander. What do you want?”

“I will let you and your husband go if,” Spitfire smiled. It was a smile like a snake: malicious and cold. “You give me the remaining elements of harmony.”

“Excuse me? That’s kind of impossible!” I said, backing away. “Last time I checked, the Elements were supposedly transported in the only running train left in Equestria to the princess herself. But everyone knows that the train crashed! The elements were either stolen or destroyed!”

“I didn’t mean the necklaces,” Spitfire said coldly. She still had that sick, twisted smile plastered on her face.”

“You want me… to turn in my friends?” I said slowly.

“Last time I checked they aren’t your friends, Rainbow,” Spitfire stated, examining her hooves casually. She flashed me a grin. “So what will it be?”

I paused and thought for a long time. The soldiers (plus my “kids”) stared at both of us, waiting for my answer. My eyes were pointed at the ground. I stood completely still. With either choice I made, I would be sacrificing everything. I suddenly jerked my head up. Spitfire stared at me, eyebrows raised.

“No deal.”

The ponies around me gasped. Spectrum tugged at my shoulder.

“But what about Soarin’?” he pleaded. I sighed lightly.

“I don’t know.”

“Rainbow, do you know what this means?” Spitfire said. She was clearly disappointed. “If you do not accept this deal-”

“I will be put in the dungeons,” I finished. I lifted my hooves. “Do your worst.”

* * *

A loud scraping sound echoed in the cold catacombs beneath Everfree castle. I was forcefully thrown into a cold room. Dust flew up around me, and I coughed, even though I could not see a thing. The stiff, strong guards took off my blindfold and unlocked my hoof-cuffs. I smiled at them, dusting off my shoulders with my hooves.

“Thanks,” I said, shaking my head to get the hair out of my face.

“Don’t push it,” one of the guards responded with a deep voice.

The door creaked again and clanged shut as the loud hoof steps echoed in the dimly lit, cold, and creepy catacomb tombs. I took a quick look around my cell. Rusty, old, and isolated. I shrugged. Typical.

A low, wheezy coughing sound startled me as it sounded from the dark, shadowy corner of the cave.

“Who’s there?” I asked. After receiving silence as an answer, I tried to see through the shadows.

I only saw a dark shadow. I took a few hoof steps closer to the dark corner of the cell. I was able to make out the shape of hooves cuffed to the wall on silhouetted chains. More coughing sounded. I walked closer and more slowly towards the pony sharing my cell. I gasped as I saw who it was.

“Hey honey,” the light blue stallion shakily smiled.

“Soarin’,” I whispered.

Author's Note:

Sorry about typos, and about it being rushed! I just wrote this so chapter 3 and this will be edited soon!