• Published 4th Feb 2013
  • 326 Views, 0 Comments

The Essence of Existence - pilord



Independent poems which exemplify the essence of a particular aspect or resident of Equestria.

  • ...
 0
 326

Best

Best

What does it mean to be the best?
The fame and glory, performing before thousands, the recognition as a master of your art.
These all come from being the best.
But, what does it 'mean' to be the best?
The destination is easy, it is well defined and clear. But one does not simply become the best on a whim. The journey is what matters.
'Best' is not just a title, it is a way of life.
It is an over arching, all consuming goal.
Many could be good or even great, without even a chance of being best.
The best know that they are at the top; but also that what is possible is far beyond them.
Those who are great yet bask in their own greatness, can never be the best.
The best is the one who practices when none can see, who won't stop until they succeed.
The best do not gloat, for they know the vastness of what they still cannot do; they push themselves ever onward towards a goal they know cannot be reached.

What does it mean to be the best?
It means to aim for a goal that you know cannot be attained, yet you strive to get there anyway.

Author's Note:

As you may have guessed, this poem is about the essence of being the best as something. It is specifically about RD and how she has the drive and mindset need to become the best. It is also about Twilight Sparkle, in that she is already the best at magic in all of Equestria, and yet she knows how much she still cannot do.