• Published 1st Feb 2013
  • 1,433 Views, 17 Comments

Wishing for a Little Moon. - WanderingPony



A short story about how Trixie got born, and Twlight Sparkle lost a sister in the process.

  • ...
1
 17
 1,433

Chapter 1: Shorely Shippable.

About a year prior to the birth of Trixie Lulamoon:

The storm had passed, and Midnight Shadow could finally see the moon in all it's glory. Full and inviting, the face of the Mare in the Moon looked down on a battered ship with tattered sails, clouds scudding away from it as if afraid. Crewponies swarmed over the decks and masts, frantically checking to see if creaks had led to cracks or worse.
"I should have stuck with the tropical island circuit!", thought the black-coated mare. A blue pointy hat flopped over her face, drips of leftover rain wringing themselves from the fabric and emptying into the sea as a silver glow squeezed the brim. "But noooo, I had to fall for this handsome mainlander and listen to his stories about what kind of hit we'd be in Los Pegasus and Applewood...".

A gentle jar to the rump nearly made Midnight jump headfirst over the railing.

"Hellooooo, my dusky trrrrropical breeze!"

"OK, so that story had a great plot..."

Snatching her hat before it floated into the sea, she turned to find the reason for leaving success and most of her life behind- Lucky Clover. Blue as the summer skies, with those big dark eyes she just was falling...falling...ooh. This story was good from the beginning, too.

"I know, beautiful. Hasn't been the best honeymoon cruise, but the captain says we've passed the storm and we're sailing like seaponies the rest of the way. Strange, what with the full moon and all but the waves just flattened out and we pushed right through it!"

"It was the moon, dear."

The stallion looked confused. "Umm....what?"

"Mahina Lia, beloved. The Mare in the Moon. When the storms are wild and the tides are angry, it is when Mahina Lia feels that she is lonely and the kahuna have not brushed her starry mane enough. You make an offering, toss it into the sky so it goes where the sea meets the moon. If Mahina Lia accepts it, the waves calm and the rain passes."

"You didn't...but, that comb! The one you wore in your mane at the wedding? It was two hundred bits! Oh, what a waste!"

Midnight Shadow frowned. "Husband, we are here and the seas are kind again. I would have thrown every piece of my dowry into the sea if it meant I would see another night with you, and you should speak better below the moon- I asked her for two favors. And one of those means you, and I should see if our cabin hasn't sprung any leaks. That all the doors are closed. And the pillows haven't gotten wet."

A powdery azure veil drifted across Lucky Clover's eyes as his wife turned around and headed for the stairs, a stray tuft of tail leaving him blinking for a moment before he trotted after. Only the silvery wand of her cutie mark could be seen disappearing into the shadows below deck, but he chased it like a dragon's hoard.

Behind them, the eye of a trapped alicorn glittered in the night sky. Or perhaps it was a falling star. Who may know?