• Published 1st Feb 2013
  • 675 Views, 1 Comments

Fierce - InkSparrow



All the ponies fight again an ancient enemy of Equestria, after recovering from a previous disaster. But first, the Element bearers must reunite. But their friendship is parted already.

  • ...
 1
 675

Hurts

"What have I become, my sweetest friend? Everyone I know goes away in the end."


>Empress! Empress, are you ---ere?! This is Candlespark, from the Third Engi---ng Unit. I ---ve an urgent message for you fr--- Captain Twilight Spar--- Empress, can you hear me?!

>Your Empress… She cannot answer to you right now… This is Luna. Speak the message to me.

>I-I’m ---rry, but I NEED to address this ---sage to the Empress. We can’t los--- time!

>She’s … indisposed. You have to trust me, Candlespark.

>I… I… Ok, I will. Tell the ---press we need the Sun as high as ---ble. I repeat, as high as possible. The Captain has figu--- out a way to---

>Yes? Candlespark? …Are you still there?

>---d a bit more of time. Do you rec--- me, Miss Luna? I can--- there are too ma--- This thing’s ---down! Remem--- Sun as hi--------ble!

>[CONNECTION LOST]


“Miss Sparkle? Wake up.”

The purple unicorn opened her eyes, but remained still on the bed. She sighed. Even after all that time, the morning air and the weak light of the early day were cold. Just during that day. Remembering can be that painful.

“You always oversleep this… kind of day, Miss Sparkle.” The one standing aside of Twilight Sparkle’s bed was a light blue unicorn with an orange and crimson mane. “And it’s getting late.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.” She stood up. Her mane was a mess and her eyes looked lost “I don’t know why that keeps happening.”

No, you actually know…” the unicorn thought sadly. It was the day. That day. The day the first and only real war between ponies began, twelve years ago, and the same day it ended, two years later. It felt like it happened a lot of time ago, but it seemed it had just happened the day before. A lot of hearts broke during the war. A lot of eyes closed forever. A lot of things that mattered disappeared. A lot of parents never hugged their sons and daughters again. “Like my parents…

“Are you going to the ceremony today, Miss Sparkle?”

“Yes, yes, just… I’m going to take a bath.”

“Is Spike coming with us, right? I don’t see him around…”

“Of course, he’s coming. Oh, and Candlespark…” Sometimes, the blue unicorn didn’t want to hear this part. It felt meaningless “Happy birthday”

——————————

“You bought the cake yesterday, right?” Twilight said to her dragon assistant, who now almost doubled her height, while slowly walking to Ponyville Town Hall. She wore half-moon glasses. She thought it was all the stress which had weakened her sight.

“Yeah. This time I remembered Sugar Cube Corner is closed today… It’s awful. At least it’s just for today and not the whole week like…”

“Spike!” the unicorn interrupted him “Don’t talk like that”

“I’m not talking like something! I just…” They both walked in front of the pastry shop. The windows were shut and, on the closed door, a NO SERVICE TODAY, SORRY sign was hanging. The dragon looked down “Forget it…” He sighed and, after a few moments, he added “I miss her”

“We all do, Spike.” then, barely lifting her head up, she saw a color stream through the air “Oh, there she goes again”

“What? Who?”

They speeded up a bit, so they could watch around a corner. A pegasus dressed in a blue uniform, with cyan wings and a rainbow mane and tail. She was standing in front of a house with a candy sign on the wall. Rainbow Dash lifted a hoof, trying to knock on the door, but she stopped when she was just about to. She seemed very indecisive. She looked down, apparently, whispered “Darn it…” and flew away. Twilight Sparkle was a bit surprised. Every year, Rainbow Dash would knock on Lyra’s door and tell her she’s sorry. And then Lyra would shout at her. Every year.

An aquamarine coated unicorn showed her face through the window just seconds after the pegasus disappeared.

“Rainbow let her mane grow this year. She’s even early this time” the unicorn whispered, walking her pat again “She usually waits to the ceremony to finish… It must feel terrible. For both of them.”

“Good morning, Mayor Sparkle” someone said to Twilight, trying to chin up, maybe. The purple mare waved back.

It had been ten years since they began rebuilding the whole Equestria, and not everything could be made again. Ponyville was placed near the center of the map, so it was almost destroyed during war. The town was almost fully evacuated, but many ponies died as a result, most of all, of air assaults and bombardments. The former Ponyville Mayor died while leading the last evacuations, so when peace came again, Twilight offered herself to take the leadership of the town.

Leadership was her element, after all. Or at least used to be long ago.

——————————

It’s some kind of irony. Everything is some kind of irony. My birthday present was a war and the death of my parents. And my Cutie Mark.

How could such a quaint place like Ponyville turned into such a sad place? I can barely understand, I was just a filly at those times, twelve years ago. I’m even younger than Miss Sweetie Belle. Sometimes I wonder about who started everything. Some ponies say it was the former Princess Celestia, the Sun Ruler, with her greedy tyranny, who began the war, the so called “Pony Schism”. Other say it was Princess Luna, hungry for returning to the throne she believed she owned. I don’t even want to know, I guess no one even wants to know. But one thing is sure: that broke Equestria in half. That made ponies chose about what they were sure they will never be forced to choose: They splitted the kingdom. The ones who were loyal to Celestia remained in the so called Solar Empire, and those who thought Luna had to be the supreme ruler became the Lunar Republic. Yeah, I do know that.

My name is Candlespark. When the war began, dad tried to take mom and me out of town, but we got caught in what they called “lightning bombardments”, where the air forces released explosive magic charges at full speed. The first one erased most of Sweet Apple Acres, as a “warning”. I think Miss Applebloom’s grandmother died that day. Anyways, my parents died trying to protect me from the explosions. Good thing, they succeeded. I guess.

After that, me and other colts and fillies got helped by the Rescue Unit of the so called Peace Corps, which leader was the nice Miss Fluttershy. They took us to a shelter, far away from Ponyville. It was a long and dangerous journey. The air was always red and the soil seemed to explode just by touching it. I have almost no more knowledge of the war itself, other than it ended two years later. When everything calmed down, the ones who had lost our dads and moms were adopted by other adult ponies, so they could take care of us. Miss Twilight Sparkle was the one who chose me. I don’t see her like a mother rather than an aunt or a real close friend, not even after ten years.

And now, every year, in this very day —my birthday— both the Solar Empress and the Lunar Leader come to Ponyville to “the Ceremony”, where they commemorate the end of the war. Or something like that. I honestly think they should stop doing that.

These days I help Miss Sparkle with the library. She’s the Mayor now, so she spends most of the day out. But here is fine. Ponyville Library used to be built inside a tree, but it was taken down during war: the library had been rebuilt larger and wider, and even in the shape of a tree. I have a lot to read. A lot. Maybe I should go visit some friends. It’s the saddest day of Ponyville, after all.

I like to play with Alula or Dinky, though they’re a bit older than me, they’re really nice. Dinky’s sister is pretty funny, as well. Sometimes I like going to Carousel Boutique. I love Mrs. Rarity’s designs, even if I can’t afford them. These times, Mrs. Rarity is out of town with her husband, I think they’re in Manehattan or some busy city like that, doing busy things. She left her sister, Miss Sweetie Belle, in charge of the store. If I’m lucky, I could hear Miss Belle’s angelical voice reverberating all over the place. It’s always a delight.

I don’t really remember Miss Belle when she was a filly; she was in a higher grade than me. She used to hang out with a couple of ponies in some kind of “secret society”, or at least she says so. Miss Sparkle told me once that as well: they used to call themselves The Cutie Mark Crusaders, going through the non-stop adventure of getting their own Cutie Marks. Who were the other two? Oh, yeah, Miss Applebloom and Scootaloo —she doesn’t let me call her “Miss”, for some reason—. Scootaloo’s parents also died during war, she’s staying with the Apple Family, so now she and Miss Applebloom are now like sisters. I don’t know if that’s the saddest thing, or the fact that she is the only one who has not yet reached her goal as a Cutie Mark Crusader.

It must be tough.

Sometimes life binds us with other ponies; sometimes we can forge a powerful friendship which makes us stronger. Miss Sparkle has taught me that. The magic of friendship. However, I’ve learned something else, something she has not ever told me: No magic last forever. In other words, even the strongest friendship ends. And for that to happen, an equally powerful reason is needed. In this case, a war. I’ve heard Miss Sparkle was part of a special group as well, just as Miss Belle. They were heroines in Equestria, called “The elements of Harmony”. They were the best friends but the war parted even their friendship: each one of them chose to stand on their own principles. It hasn’t been the same for them, I guess.

I know most of the former “elements”, besides Miss Sparkle. Miss Applejack, though weak and sick (She says it was Miss Sparkle who almost broke her back and left her like that), still runs her family’s apple farm along with her siblings, and now with her sister-in-law Mrs. Cheerilee and her adoptive sister Scootaloo. I sometimes see Miss Fluttershy working at Ponyville Hospital as a doctor, but the rest of the time she’s taking care of the creatures of the forest. Right now she’s away; I think she went beyond Vanhoover, something about helping the rabbit population in the forest nearby. It’s pretty rare for Miss Fluttershy to leave Ponyville, maybe she doesn’t want to be around these days. And Mrs. Rarity, who, as I said, still works as a very successful fashion designer, even if she’s rarely seen in town. The other two… (They were six?) I have no knowledge of them. Maybe they went far from home. Maybe they died.

I’m tired. Tired of everything. Sometimes not even the brightest day can make me smile. Not even my friends, or Miss Sparkle. I cannot stand this. This town, these ponies. This life. I have to get ready for today’s ceremony, I’ve already decided not to visit anyone. My name’s Candlespark. Yeah, that’s some kind of irony too.

——————————

“What have I become?”

“Sorry?” Spike was ordering some scrolls in the shelves aside the desk. There were a couple of new business licenses to sign that day. New merchants wanted to sell their products in Ponyville, one of them was about zebra handicrafts and foreign stuff. But that wasn’t near Twilight Sparkle’s mind.

“What have we all become?” the unicorn was looking outside through the window, watching the citizens gather for the Ceremony. “We’ve lived like this for ten years now. We have changed so much.”

“Of course” the dragon took a book to the desk and stood next to the now Mayor “I was pretty shorter twelve years ago”

“I don’t mean that Spike. We are… far now. We barely see each other”

“Oh.” Spike got what she meant with ‘we’. It was ‘we, the Elements of Harmony’. He sometimes thought that was the hardest part of that war. Of the war.

“Rarity’s not coming this year, either”

“What?! I mean… Oh, that’s a shame.” Spike still tried to conceal his feelings. The white unicorn had broken his little heart when she got married. Twilight remembered the dragon got so mad he ran away unto the Everfree Forest and almost got killed by Timberwolves. Again. He cried like he had never cried. He even had nightmares about it. He used to dream about a giant Rarity smashing him with a hoof ‘Sorry, little one, I don’t love you. I actually hate you. Go back to your egg, stupid baby.”

He still has those nightmares, some nights…” Twilight thought. “But he wants to look brave. And he IS brave.

“I… wonder” Twilight continued, taking off her glasses “If… maybe we will… someday…” The words ‘be together again’ didn’t come out of his muzzle, but Spike understood them just as if the unicorn had pronounced them. They both sighed.

What if we could start again? What if I was new again in Ponyville? In these times… would we be as good friends as we were? Would we find a way to do so? Or would we… hurt each other again?

Twilight Sparkle held her tears.

——————————

“It has been twelve years now since it began” The great white alicorn said, solemnly, looking at the almost inexpressive faces of her subjects “and ten since it all ended. We put our greed for power before what was really important.”

“We all thought each of us were right.” The dark-blue coated one, of the same species continued as serious as her sister “We all ignored the peace we originally wanted, and tried to make the others think the way we thought.”

“After all, that is what happens in a war. Each faction believes it has or it is the right answer, and battles the other one because of it. How fool were we. Even when a ruler wins a war, the people are the ones who always lose. We all should have known that. We should have known it is not worth the pain, the sorrow, the death.”

I should have known it” Celestia thought, pausing her speech and looking down to the crowd again. She sighed as she perceived everypony’s mourning. She knew it was her fault, her mistake. Her stubbornness blinded her. “I’m so sorry. I wish I could mend everything”. Celestia felt familiar eyes upon her, recognizing the purple eyes of her once faithful student. “I wish... I wish none of you ever forgive me. Please.

“We knew what can be lost during a war” Luna spoke again, realizing her sister wasn’t able to “But now... Now we feel what is lost. Our Nations may be divided, but our hearts and our spirits stand up closer than ever. Let us commemorate, then, the spirits of everypony who fell during the Pony Schism.”

“A minute of silence” Celestia’s tears began to fall over her cheeks, but her voice stood firm “for the ones who are no longer with us.”

The bell at Ponyville Hall tolled. Everypony tilted their heads while the sound invaded everyplace in town, gathering every feeling into one. Some of the ponies couldn’t resist the urge to cry. Applebloom held her face against her sister’s shoulder bursting in silent tears; as her brother put a hoof on the little one’s shoulder, trying to look at Applejack’s eyes, but they were covered by her hat. Although Rainbow Dash wasn’t in the crowd with her friends, as she stood in front of it as the Wonderbolts’ Lieutenant, she couldn’t avoid having her remaining eye, the right one, soaked in tears. Sweetie Bell was standing aside of Scootaloo, unable to contain the urge to hug her friend. Twilight Sparkle was the only pony in the crowd who didn’t incline her head. The unicorn gazed upon Celestia instead, seeing her tears running through her face, and trying to comprehend her pain. Twilight knew the Sun Ruler blamed herself the most. And it was because of that Twilight wanted her to look her in the eye, Celestia had to know she wasn’t guilty and nopony blamed her for what happened. It was everpony’s fault. Everypony as one.

Twilight Sparkle felt something over her, turning her eyes to see Spike putting an arm around her. The unicorn didn’t even try to smile —Spike knew she didn’t have to—, but she did lean her head against her assistant. Nopony said anything as the fading sound of a bell rang away from the crowd standing at the centre of Ponyville, where a monument had been built. Three ponies —a unicorn, a pegasus and an earth pony— stood there, leaning their heads in each other’s shoulder, forming a triangle between them. The base of the statue represented a sun and a moon as broken figures, smashed symbols, upon which the ponies stood up. A reminder that even if everypony’s ideas are different, they have to remain together.

“What a cute, sad spectacle”

Everypony lifted their head, no one knowing who had said that. Not even Celestia and Luna could figure out where the voice came from.

“I hope you’re all having a good time.”

“Who is this? Show yourself!” Luna demanded.

“Little Lu! Is that you?” In the space between the Rulers and the crowd, a bright metal sphere dug out from the ground. It was black, with a green screen and lighter green lines adorning it. A dark figure could be seen on the screen, but nopony was able to take a closer look because the sphere began moving around, floating silently over the ponies’ heads. “Of course that’s you. You’re still as cute as ever.”

Luna frowned as the voice laughed softly. The sound was low-pitched and a bit creepy. Fear started flowing.

“Excuse me” the purple unicorn said, stepping forward “I am Twilight Sparkle, the Mayor of this town and I respectfully demand your…”

“Sure you are, dear” the sphere approached Twilight quickly. She could notice the figure on the screen was a tall, slender pony. His coat was pitch-black, even his silhouette seemed darker than the place he was transmitting from, almost completely lacking of light. His eyes, however, were of a strong pink. His mane was dull silver “But I’m not talking to you. Not yet. I’m talking to little Tia and little Lu.”

The crowd whispered. “What? Who? Tia and Lu? He’s referring to…?”

“We ask again. Who is this talking?” Celestia spoke this time, firmly. Why did that voice sound familiar to her? “If you don’t want to answer, please, leave”

“Oh, you’re being rude, little Tia. Don’t you remember me?” the voice sounded funny, like he was having a good time. “Of course you don’t remember me. I got thrown to the deepest of this earth a long time ago.”

The crowd’s whisper became louder. Twilight looked at Celestia and the sphere alternately. What was this all about?

“Long ago… Now you remember, little niece?”

“Niece?” Luna was beginning to worry “What is he talking about, sister?” But the white alicorn didn’t say a thing. Her eyes remained wide open and her muzzle unmoving.

“Oh, you do remember me! How nice from you!” the sphere stopped moving and stood still in front of the alicorns “I guess you remember that night, don’t you? You’re such a bad princess, little Tia, such a bad ruler. You were so destroyed after that night you couldn’t even battle against that draconequus, the one that survived the slaughter. And you let him rule YOUR OWN kingdom? HAH! You could barely protect that Crystal Kingdom…”

“Stop…” the Sun Ruler moved again, pressing her teeth.

“…that Sombra colt was no big deal! What happened to you? And then you let your own sister, my little Lu, to go crazy… She was your sister! How could you imprison her? You have no heart, little Tia…”

“STOP” Celestia shouted. Luna was completely doubtful. She didn’t know that pony, who apparently knew so much about their past… But her sister… She looked like she knew the stallion in that sphere.

“Little Lu does not remember, but you do. Do you remember that night? That horrible night?”

“Stop!” Celestia shot a powerful light beam from her horn, but the sphere avoided it. The Wonderbolts stepped forward, ready to attack the artifact at the order of their Ruler.

“Sister! Who is this?!”

“The night!” the sphere said, with an almost triumphant voice. Everypony became quiet “The night when your mother died!”

Author's Note:

Yay, my second story. A "quote-at-the-beginning" one. It's kind of... something experimental, I wanted to try how this would work. Chapter 2 is almost finished. I hope you like it and keep on reading it :D Leave your comments, whether you liked it or not, what was right and wrong, etc~

>I don't know who made the names "Solar Empire", "Lunar Republic" and "Peace Corps" first, but the credit goes for him/her.
>Initial quote by Trent Reznor ("Hurt")