• Published 30th Jan 2013
  • 353 Views, 1 Comments

The Honest Thief - Anypony Productions



A poverty stricken stallion named Silver Spur tries to end the cycle of poverty for his family by doing what he believes will set his family free. However his family's freedom leads him to live a life on the run and constant worry.

  • ...
4
 1
 353

Last Chance

“Oh what has he done now? Pickpocket another miner? Take some jewels from the mines?” said Mr. Spur.

The police pony looked down at the young white unicorn that he had apprehended, “I’m afraid your boy was stealing from the general store. Colt nearly got away with it too if it hadn’t been for his path of dropped bits through town.”

Mrs. Spur chimed in, “Will he be taken to jail this time? Can you please give him one last chance?”

“Well the town of Gold Gorge is really getting sick and tired of your colt thieving around and swindling; I guarantee if he does this again the townsfolk will surely run him out and keep him out for good.” The white colt gave a look of desperation and fear.

“Well with the town being so ruthless and dangerous these days it’s no surprise our colt has turned into another common thief.” The police pony scoffed at Mr. Spur’s reply.

“Look here, if your colt keeps this thieving up I’m certain the town will force him out and if they don’t I’ll take him to jail myself!” The tension between the police pony and Mr. Spur was boiling over.

Mrs. Spur cut in between them, “Please officer, he’s just a colt! He couldn’t go to jail, he just couldn’t!”

The police pony looked at the colt with a displeasing look, “yeah, we’ll see about that one.” He then shoved the white unicorn over to his parents, gave a harsh look and turned away.

The Spurs’ gave their son a hug; however this was soon met with an angry look on Mr. Spur’s face. “You’ve really done it now Silver Spur- you are on your last thread around here. I can’t understand why you’ve wanted to become a thief! It’s dirty business and all it leads to is a life of shame and desperation! You should be ashamed of yourself for ever wanting to become a low life thief!”

Silver began to tear up and ran off into the meager home of the Spurs. “Golden, you really should be more consoling to him; he loves you so much and when you reprimand him like that it makes him so sad.” Mrs. Spur seemed to be more understanding than Golden was.

“He’s nothing but trouble! I wish I knew why or what compels him to do this but he always gets caught and always gets more hated by the town! I live an honest life working in the mines like everypony else but he refused to do it! His cutie mark is of four silver sparkles for pony’s sake! He was meant to be a miner like me and my father, and my grandfather; this thieving business is the worst thing he could do.”

Mrs. Spur turned away from her husband and walked inside to the small shack of a home to find Silver quietly sobbing on his bed mat. Mrs. Spur felt a wave of compassion flow over to her seeing her son in such a depressed mood.

She gently laid her hoof over the colt and rubbed his coat softly. “It’s okay Silver- your father is just upset because you don’t want to be a miner like him. He can be ill tempered at times.”

Silver spoke while sobbing, “The reason I steal is for you and pop. I look at how little we have and how much we need and I can’t help but wanting to do something. If I became a miner we would still be poor and I would just continue the cycle. I know I’m more than that!” Silver looked up to his mother, “You know I’m more than that.”

Mrs. Spur lowered her eyes and hugged her son, “Yes Silver, I know you are. I wish we could give you a better opportunity but we just can’t; there isn’t enough money to move you to a better town where you could grow up decently.”

Silver wiped the tears off of his cheeks and smiled at his mother. “I love you and pop, I just want to be more than what pop wants me to be. I wish he would understand.”

“One day he will, but until then I would try and cut back on the thieving. The town really is starting to dislike you and the trouble you cause.”

“Okay mom, I will. I’ll work with pop from now on.”

Mrs. Spur smiled and hugged her son again and was glad to have the conflict resolved. The two came back outside to Golden who was sitting in his rocking chair silently.

“I’m sorry pop, I promise I won’t ever thieve again and I’ll work with you in the mines from now on.” Silver said with a sighing tone.

Golden lit up with a grin, “Well good! Work starts at 5am tomorrow morning so make sure you’re packed and ready by then; better than all that thieving nonsense isn’t it?”

Silver reluctantly shook his head and tried to produce a smile on his face. He wasn’t sure which was worse, working in a place he hated or being thrown out of town.

End of Chapter 1