• Published 30th Jan 2013
  • 578 Views, 2 Comments

Alliance is Magic - artsyfartsy1998



Perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad if the losers had won...

  • ...
2
 2
 578

And Now, She Freaks Out

The next morning, Twilight woke up, brushed her teeth, combed her hair, washed her face, walked downstairs and saw a book open on the table. She scowled, thinking that Spike had left it there (Twilight had been really sleepy last night), and decided to browse it. Five minutes later, she began screaming.

“WHAT?! WHAT!?” Spike ran down the stairs holding a baseball bat, pepper spray, a fire extinguisher and a flame thrower.

“SOLS DUST IS GOING TO RETURN TO EQUESTRIA AND DESTROY OUR WAY OF LIFE!” Twilight turned to him. “And doesn’t a flame thrower cancel out the fire extinguisher in case of emergencies?”

Spike dropped all of the things he had been holding and smacked his forehead. “Twilight. That’s an old mares’ tale. Missus Sparkle used to tell it to you when you were just a filly, now why in the name of Star Swirled the Bearded’s obnoxiously noisy jingle bells are you FREAKING OUT ABOUT IT NOW?”

“Because Sols Dust isn’t just an old mares’ tale, you dolt! Sols Dust is actually Princess Celestia, jealous sister of Princess Luna, or Queen Nightmare Moon, and on the last night of the thousandth year, she shall return to Equestria! We must tell all of the royal cabinet immediately!”

She sprinted over to Spike and flipped a pen and scroll into his hand with her horn. “Take a note, Spike, to the Queen. And this is a message of urgent importance, so you can’t screw it up.

Spike grumbled and put his pen to the paper;

“Dear Queen Nightmare Moon,” Twilight began.

Dear Queen Nightmare Moon,
I have found during my studies of the different magical elements and the Origin of the Alicorn that the fable of the Sols Dust may in fact have truth to it, for in fact, the Sols Dust is your sister, Princess Celestia, and she is going to return with the alicorns as her guides on the very first night of the thousandth year. I am afraid that this is an emergency requiring extreme measures, perhaps even military support. We are on the precipice of disaster, so I eagerly await your response.
Sincerely and Dearly,
Twilight Sparkle, student valedictorian of the Lunar Academy’s grade ten

“There.” Spike added a small swirled S at the very bottom for his own penmanship.

“Did you spell precipice correctly?” Twilight asked. Spike rolled his eyes and nodded. “Then send it.”

“Are you sure you want to do it now?” Spike asked.

“Of course!”

“But you know, the Queen is very busy getting ready for the New Years’ Night celebration, and you know this one’s the thousandth anniversary of her and King Discord’s reign. It’s the day after tomorrow! She probably won’t be able to respond to your letter for a while.”

“Spike, haven’t you been listening?!” Twilight cried.

“No more than I have to.”

“The very first night of the thousandth year! NEW YEARS NIGHT. ONE THOUSANDTH ANNIVERSARY. Princess Celestia is going to return on that very night, so we probably don’t have to worry about their honeymoon, now do we?”

“You don’t have to be so condescending, sweetheart,” Spike growled.

“I’m sorry, dearest, you know how upset I get when the fate of the world is in danger,” Twilight snarked. “Now send it, please.”

With a roll of his eyes, Spike held the scroll an arms’ width away from his face. He blew a lime green jet of delivery fire to envelop the paper, and as it dissipated, so did the scroll. “There, are you happy yet?”

“Only when I get a response.” The mare had already begun pacing in circles around the library’s central hourglass in anxious worry. Spike rolled his eyes and sat back on a pile of encyclopedias. Suddenly, the front door was wrenched open by a wave of blue magic!

“Geeze, Twilie, you need to get your door fixed again. The hinge just never twists.”

“Because it was locked, just like last time you broke it.” Twilight scowled at her feet and continued pacing. “What do you want, Shining?”

A muscular, large, white unicorn stallion with a blue, short mane trotted into the room. “I just wanted to say hi to my favorite sister!” He suddenly tackled her and noogied her ear. “Besides, how was I supposed to remember your door locks?”

“Because you kicked the door down and broke it LAST WEEK,” Twilight cried incoherently, her mouth pressed up against the marble floor. “Why don’t you just KNOCK?”

“I wanted it to be a surprise. You’re my baby sister! Remember how I used to steal that stuffed animal of yours and hold it over a mud puddle, threatening to make it so dirty Mom would HAVE to throw it out? And you would cry and cry and Dad would see and ground me for a month, so I’d sneak into your room and put raw eggs in your backpack for payback? That was always a surprise! Good times, right?”

“I ALSO REMEMBER THE TIME WHEN I SET YOUR COIFFURE ON FIRE AFTER YOU TOLD MY PROM DATE THAT I STILL SLEPT WITH SAID STUFFED ANIMAL. SURPRISE. NOW GET OFF OF ME.”

The stallion did, pulling her up with him and crushing her with a bear hug. “I just missed you, Twilie. I haven’t seen you in so long, I feel like you don’t even love me anymore. So I make sure that’s not true by surprising you!”

“Didn’t we already establish that you visited last week? Besides, you always ask for money when you’re here.”

“Well I know how much you love routine, so I’m gonna ask you for some again!” Shining Armor knelt down on his knees and pulled out the puppy dog eyes. He was actually pretty good at those, but placed upon his manly, toned body, looked absolutely ridiculous. “Can I PLEASE borrow fifty bits from you, sis?”

“You don’t mean borrow, you mean take.”

Her brother made a duck face at her. “Nuh uh! The Royal Guard pays for itself in protection, so you always giving me money is like a tax or something.”

“Riiiight.” Twilight was a very practised eye roller, and this batch would make any normal pony want to hang themselves using a chain of paperclips and a hay steak knife. Shining Armor was not a normal pony.

Suddenly, Twilight heard a knock at the door. “See, THAT’S how you’re supposed to do it,” she said, trotting off to answer it. Shining waited with Spike, who was grinning like an idiot.

“Salutations, Twilight Sparkle, valedictorian of the Lunar Academy’s grade ten,” smiled Cotton Kadabra with a small nod after Twilight had opened the door to her.

“Salutations to you, Cotton Kadabra, president of the fashion club at the Lunar Academy.” Twilight replied. “It’s very pleasant to see you visiting, what brings you to my abode?”

“I received a letter by my dragon which had your name printed on it, along with “URGENT” and the Queen’s hoof writing! This is the very paper, as you can see,” the filly said, giving it to her, “But, and I do not mean to pry- Why, hello!” Shining Armor had come to see what was happening, and it appeared as though Cotton’s mane now had been recently shampooed, mascara had been applied, and her coat been dyed recently. “I didn’t see you there~”

“Hey, Cotton! Long time no see, how’s the special somepony?”

“Oh, he and I broke up a looong time ago, Shining, darling, didn’t you get my letter?” Cotton Kadabra had slowly been walking closer to the stallion and was now demurely looking up at him through her pink, fluffy mane. “I just never was so affectionate for Cherry Cola as I was for you! You really ought to visit more often, Shining, dear, you know we all love your stories~”

Twilight’s brother was completely pink in the face as the mare pet his shoulder. “I s-suppose I could t-t-take a little work break,” he stuttered, stiff in literally every part of his body. “T-t-twilight?” he turned back to her with a questioning look.

The unicorn had been looking upon this scene with equal parts amusement and disgust, but she decided that whatever the gang of fillies would do to her brother would be enough to at least keep him from breaking down the door the next time he visited. “Yep, you kids have fun!”

“Oh, are you absolutely sure we can take him? I mean, Twilight, dearest, I’d simply hate to keep him away from you, he’s your brother, after all.” Twilight, dearest, noticed that while Kadabra was talking, she was also jotting down a note which read; “URGENT, Shining’s in town! Party at Clover’s hot tub, STAT.” and hugging the stallion’s leg.

“It’s perfectly alright, Cotton, dearest. I expect him home by midnight!” She winked and turned around.

“Wait, TWILIE!”

The door slammed.

Author's Note:

Because I still think Shining Armor should have been around sooner. I mean, gosh, Twilight, your brother was so close to you, didn't you say goodbye before you left or anything?