• Published 26th Jan 2013
  • 611 Views, 4 Comments

On the Elements of Harmony - Hydraex2



Seven ponies go on an adventure to stop the end of the world as they know it.

  • ...
1
 4
 611

The Species

--Species--

--Earth Ponies--

Earth ponies are by no means an uncommon race in Equestria today. Earth ponies have not changed much over the years, and no significant evolutions would make us see Earth ponies back then as any different than those today. As the name suggests, Earth Ponies have a strong affinity for earth, and the majority of Equestria’s farmers are Earth Ponies. Plants under their care seem to thrive more, they have great strength naturally, and they possess innate magic (this is a subject of heated debate, but supporting evidence does include Earth Ponies defying the laws of physics).

--Pegasi--

Pegasi are another race of ponies that are common throughout Equestria today. As with the Earth Ponies, Pegasi have not evolved much over the past few millennia. Pegasi are characterized by wings and the inborn ability to fly (through magic). Other abilities include being able to stand on and physically interact with clouds, whereas to some other types of pony they would be intangible. Pegasi are well-suited to weather control, as they are capable of flying and moving clouds. Pegasi bones, unlike most other ponies, are actually hollow, like those of birds, to reduce weight. This has the unfortunate side effect of making Pegasi bones easier to break.

--Unicorns--

Unicorns are the last species in this chapter that are still common throughout Equestria (or at least, what we call Equestria nowadays) in the modern day. They possess the inborn ability to use magic, the most basic of which is telekinesis, the most advanced includes a myriad of spells that includes teleportation and even “weaponized” magic, which can be devastating. The boundaries of magic are constantly being pushed forward. Unicorns naturally do not have as much strength as Pegasi or Earth Ponies, and are less suited to manual labor.

--Bat Ponies--

Bat Ponies are most certainly not a common species in Equestria today. Three and a half millennia ago, however, they were as common as any other type of pony. Mainly nocturnal, Bat Ponies at the time were adverse to the sunlight, which was too bright for their low-light eyes, and often went out more during the night, although many still held day jobs. Nowadays Bat Ponies are less sensitive to the sunlight, but merely prefer the night time. Bat Ponies are characterized by bat-like wings, as opposed to the bird-like wings of pegasi, and enjoy mainly the same abilities as Pegasi do, although they can use echolocation like regular bats using more sensitive ears. Bat Ponies, unlike most other ponies, are omnivorous (come on, haven't you seen the fangs? Nature does not allow for vanity).

--Changelings--

Changelings are extremely uncommon in modern society (or so we think), but 3,500 years ago they were common. Changelings find their origin from the same common ancestor as ponies. They started out a cult or tribe of meta-ponies (the name for the missing link we are all supposedly derived from) who left their homeland for an unknown reason. They arrived at Equestria, long before any other ponies. They settled in the badlands north of Equestria. At the time there was an abundance of uncontrolled magical energy there (now there is simply quite a bit of loose magic, somehow independent of ley lines). This magical energy eventually mutated the meta-ponies into what we now call Changelings. Changelings are omnivorous, insect-like ponies that feed primarily on love. 3,500 years ago, Changelings did not need love to survive, but in our modern era it is a vital part of their diet. While there has been some debate over whether Changelings are controlled by a hive mind, it is clear that back then there was no hive mind (there was no queen).

--Griffons--

Griffons are residents of Equestria in the modern day, instead dwelling south of Equestria, in the mountains. Griffons are omnivores. It is unknown how closely related Griffons are to other ponies. A griffon is essentially a cross between a lion and an eagle, capable of flight and physical contact with clouds. They are very hostile naturally, due to harsher conditions in the mountain, and constant warfare with dragons for control over the mountains. Griffons are very strong as a result and can be quite frightening if angered. 3,500 years ago, griffons were less intimidating, and inhabited Equestria.

--Alicorns--

The only known Alicorns left alive in the modern day are the princesses of Equestria. However, our princesses are far different than Alicorns back in the time when the Elements were discovered. Normal Alicorns were not nearly as strong as the princesses, who draw much of their strength from the Elements of Harmony (covered later). Normal Alicorns did have all of the abilities of Earth Ponies, Pegasi, and Unicorns, they had each to a lesser degree. Alicorns were not as fast as Pegasi, not as strong as Earth Ponies, or as magically adept as Unicorns. Alicorns held a minority, though the difference was only slight. It is also important to note that alicorns did indeed exist as a crossbreed, as one might imagine, and so the most common way alicorns came about was through political marriages between houses of different race. This means that while alicorns were an overall minority, they held a slight plurality in the upper, more aristocratic, class.

Author's Note:

Last chapter on setting the scene, next chapter is right into the plot!