• Published 26th Jan 2013
  • 1,087 Views, 7 Comments

The Alchemist's Tales - DVAN56



The Torchlight Alchemist's crazy adventures in Equestria!

  • ...
1
 7
 1,087

(Tale #2) A Mimic Named Winona

A Mimic Named Winona

Ah Ponyville, one of the nicest towns in Equestria, to bad it attracts chaos like no tomorrow. Most of my tales revolve around this little town, and my jobs here. Yeah I said jobs as in multiple. The first I mentioned before, Research Equestrian Ember and report my findings to Twilight Sparkle or Princess Luna. My second job is, well odd for someone like me. I only do it because Celestia demanded that I have a job that also “contributes to the community.” Unfortunately for me their was only one job that needed filling, foalsitter(babysitter damn it).

It's not the best of jobs but it is tolerable, most of the time. To think one of the greatest of the Empire's Alchemists, and one of the heroes that slew Ordrak reduced to babysitting. Still it had its advantages, most of which were in the forms of accidents. Over the years here I have learned one thing from this job, never underestimate a child. They tend to surprise you with something new every time.

Luckily for me its a part-time job, like Twilight's librarian job. Yeah Twilight is only a part time librarian. The library is only open two days a week to the public. The rest of the time she is studying magic, friendship, and those from other worlds, oddly enough in that order, for Celestia.

Most weeks I only have to babysit on the weekends. It was rare that anyone needed a sitter during the week, except for Kira but that's best told in another tale. I was however still open for sitting on the weekdays if I didn't have any that could not be preformed in my study.

Their are a few foal that are trouble. In fact I refuse to watch two foals after the first time I watched them, Diamond Tiara and Sliver Spoon, rotten apples. Then there are the Cutie-Mark Crusaders, Applebloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Bell. By themselves they are perfect little angles. Put those three together and you have a force of trouble like no other.

Anyway onto the actual story. It was around the middle of the week. I was performing an experiment on a few fish I had caught. I my world, Ember was abundant and could be found almost anywhere. One such place was in river beds and the bottom of other bodies of water. Because of this some of the energies from the Ember would bleed out into the water and gave fish a unique attribute. Any animal that would eat the fish would turn into another creature entirely.

My experiment was a simple one. I put two fish in a tank with a few pieces of Ember in the bottom. I was looking for two things. One if Equestrian Ember would bleed energy out, two if the bled energies from the Ember effect fish the same way here as it did back home. I was going to take the fish to Fluttershy's after a few weeks to test. However my testing came a little early.

As I said it was about the middle of the week. Applejack had showed up at my house with Applebloom and her dog Winona. She needed me to watch Applebloom for a few days. She was taking Granny Smith to Manehatten for a surgery of some kind, and Big Mac was out in Appleloosa helping their family out there with their apple harvest.

I got her to the guest room, and the first night went well. The next day I walked her to school before getting my projects setup for this evening. She was going to be Crusading after school and I will not let my project be victims of their crusading.

As I walked into my study I noticed the fish tank. A fish was missing, but where, better yet how. Before I could have reacted I head a sound that I was hoping I would not hear again, not in Equestria anyway. The sound of screeching metal hinges and a low growling from a creature. I turn around to face the creature, a Mimic.

The creature that has been the demise of many adventures back home. It looks like a typical wooden chest with iron bindings, till it opens. The lid acts like a jaw, and when its mouth opens it reveals a maw a razor sharp teeth and a long tongue instead of treasure that most expect.

This Mimic was just sitting there, doing nothing but growling at me. It was odd, it didn't attack me, it just sat there. I was totally unprepared for this. I quickly go to grab my staff from the corner of the room. The Mimic only turned to face me as if it was staring at me, even though they have no eyes.

I needed to get this thing caged, the last thing I need is a potentially murderous chest going around killing ponies. I can figure out where it came from later. I started to move out of the study. I was going to try and lock it in, but it quickly hopped it the doorway blocking the door. It didn't seem to act hostile, it was more of it just wanted to be near me. The study was not going to work anyway and the only other room in my house that could hold it was, my basement.

I hated going down into the basement, it housed the reminders of my past sins. That black armor I had crafted and the staff that held Ordrak's heart. That was a dark time in my life. I keep the armor and staff as a reminder so I wouldn’t follow that path again. Aside from those items the basement was empty.

I headed to the basement, walking backwards the whole way. The Mimic followed me, like a pet would his master. It reminded me of my old pet wolf, Baker. He was a good friend, I still miss him to this day. Baker was slain during the battle with Ordrak. I still have his collar however, it hangs on the wall in my study now. Few have asked about it but I can never bring myself to talk about him.

As I get into the middle of the basement I do a daring move. I charge my gauntlet and hit the Mimic with a shock of electricity. I had four seconds to get out of the basement and barricade the door. I got to the door just in time. As I closed the door the Mimic let out a howl and started charging the door. I locked the door just in time. The Mimic pounded on the door but it didn't seem to effect the door. I didn't want to take a chance however. My staff, like all my others, was near indestructible. I decided to used it as a brace to reinforce the door.

After about a half hour the Mimic calmed down. I felt that it was safe to leave the door and try and figure out what is going on. Ok so a fish is missing and a Mimic appears, that meant that something ate the fish and transformed, which means the experiment was a success! Despite the situation I could not help but feel excited about the success of this test. Now I just need to figure out what ate the fish.

As I went through my notes and writing down my finding I lost track of time.

“Alchemist, I'm back! Hey where is Winona at?” Applebloom yelled from the front door.

“Oh no, Winona. I completely forgot about her. She must of ate the fish which means that that Mimic is Winona.” I thought. I felt a little stupid at the time not even thinking about Winona till now.

I quickly ran out of my study to the basement door. The Mimic was pounding even harder on the door. I didn't even notice Applebloom and the rest of the Cutie-Mark Crusaders come up behind me. The pounding got louder with each hit. I started hearing the wood crack.

“Mr. Alchemist, what is down there?” Sweetie Bell asked a little scared.

I didn't know how to answer. I couldn't just tell them it was Winona. They wouldn't believe me. And if they did they would be mad at me for locking Winona up. I was about to come up with an excuse of some kind but Winona succeeded at busting the door down.

Winona hopped straight to Applebloom and started.....licking her like she was still a dog. The girls where clearly confused that a living chest coming up and licking Applebloom.

“Um Alchy, why is that box alive and licking Applebloom?” Scootaloo asked.

“Because it's Winona” I said.

“But that's a...box, Winona is a dog.” Sweetie said

“That box is called a Mimic, and it is Winona, she got into one of my experiment and transformed into that.”

“Can you changer her back?” Applebloom asked.

“I don't know, it was an experiment. Hopefully the transformation will only be temporary but there is a chance it can be permanent as well.”

“Applejack is going to kill you if we can't get Winona changed back.” Applebloom said.

Applejack wouldn't kill me, but I was in for a buck to the face. Applejack had a short temper when it came to messing with family, and Winona was part of the family. However I was still more concerned about the safety of the three fillies in front of me. Even when animal from my world were transformed they tended to pick up a few nasty habits of what they changed into. And Mimics tend to be very violent and very protective of their belongings.

Before I could formulate a plan to deal with the situation, Winona picked up Applebloom with her tongue and threw Applebloom on top of her. Then Winona made a bolt out of the house. It happened so fast that I didn't even register what was happening till she was outside. Damn it, if Applejack found out about Winona that would be a good buck to the face, but if something happened to Applebloom she would literally kill me.

I made a mad dash out of my house. I was terrified and for the first time it wasn't for my well-being for once. A young filly was in my care and now in danger of being eaten by her own pet because of my experiments. I was not about to let someone get hurt because of my actions, not again.

I could see the Mimic heading out of town. It was moving fast, faster then I could ever run. Thankfully it was heading to Sweet Apple Acres instead of the Everfree. I didn't even even notice that Scootaloo and Sweetie were following me. When I got to the farm I saw Applebloom and the Mimic....playing fetch?

A Mimic playing fetch. I shouldn't have been surprised, it was a dog first. However the site of a Mimic playing fetch was surprising to me. I have never seen a Mimic spit something out of its mouth before, but it was a funny site to see.

“No Winona I don't want to play with you now.” I overheard Applebloom say.

“Applebloom!” both Scootaloo and Sweetie said simultaneously.

Winona turned to face us and growled. At that moment Applebloom took her fore hoof and smacked Winona then scolded her. My heart fell at the coming retribution the Mimic was going to unleash. To my surprise it never came.

Instead of a raging homicide creature as she was with me, Winona let out a whimper. I keep forgetting that Winona is really a dog. It was Winona within a Mimic body. Its just really hard for me to think of her as a dog and not a Mimic. I was never a fan of fish transformation, didn't even feed Baker any back in the day.

“Alchemist, what all did that experiment do? Other then not being a dog, all Winona wants to do is play fetch now. Its almost like she is a puppy again.” Applebloom said.

“That sound like mental retraction.” I ponder out loud

“Mental what now?”

“Basically she is a puppy again. In the mind anyway.”

“Oh.”

“Does that mean Applebloom need to retrain her?” Scootaloo asked almost out of the blue.

“Um, kinda, yeah I guess.” I didn't have a real answer, I never ran into something like this before.

I didn't realize the implications of my words till I saw a smile cross Scootaloo's face, followed by Sweetie bell, then Applebloom. I knew what was coming next and I covered my eyes to try and brace myself.

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS MIMIC TRAINERS!!” they shouted in unison.

“No!” I quickly replied

“Why not? She is my family's pet.” Applebloom retorted

“Because right now she is literally a deadly monster. I'm not risking you getting hurt, or worse.”

“What if you stay close by. That way you can jump-in in case something goes wrong.” Sweetie said. She then gave me the sad puppy look, Applebloom and Scootaloo followed suit.

Uggg, I couldn’t resist it. The puppy dog look these three give is just too much. I honestly believe you have to be truly heartless to resist it.

“Fine. But I’m setting up a few rules. Rule one, I must be present. Rule two, Winona stays at my house in a locked room till you girls are out of school. Rule three, you do what I say when I say it when you attempt to retrain her. Got it.”

“Yes” they said

“Good, now if you girls don't mind. I need to get Applebloom and Winona back to my house. You two should be heading back home as well, it getting late.” I said.

The next day wasn't productive at all. As soon as I got Applebloom off to school I came home to a very angry Mimic. I spent most of the time trying to calm Winona down while Applebloom was gone, over trying to find a way to fix Winona. I was going to lock her in the basement but forgot she busted the door down the day before. I also believed at the time that the transformation Winona underwent was indeed a permanent one for she has not turned back yet.

As soon as school let out the Cutie-Mark Crusaders wasted no time getting to my house. As I told them before I would only let them try to train the Mimic Winona while I was present. We went to the back yard and got started.

We learned real quick that Winona would only listen to Applebloom. When ever Scootaloo or Sweetie try something the Winona just growled. I almost stopped this right there and then but was cut short by Applebloom.

“NO! Bad Winona! You don't growl at friends!” Applebloom scolded the Mimic.

After that little display Applebloom went on to trying to teach Winona tricks. Unfortunately for her every time she tried to teach Winona something Winona would run off and come back with a stick. I couldn't help but laugh at it after the twentieth time. After awhile Sweetie Bell wanted to try.

Again Winona growled followed by Applebloom scolding her. It happened a few more time as Sweetie Bell tried to teach it something. After a while Scootaloo also wanted to try her hand hoof at it. Again growl followed by scolding.

By the end of the day the three made made very little progress. They did however get Winona to stop growling at anyone that isn't Applebloom. Aside from that as a Mimic, Winona really loves fetch. Every thing the girls tried to teach her she processed as “lets play fetch.”

As we where saying are goodbys to Scootaloo and Sweetie Bell I saw a pony walking up. A pony that I was hoping would still be out of town for a few more days. A pony named Applejack. She saw me and Applebloom outside.

“Appleboom! I'm home!” she shouted

At that moment I didn't need to look to know what was happening. Winona recognized the voice and bolted. As she took off past me and Applebloom I could see the look of fear and confusion on Applejack's face upon seeing a living box full of sharp teeth charging right after her.

I ran after it will all my might but I couldn't keep up. I knew it wasn't going to hurt Applejack, if anything it was going to do the same thing it did with Applebloom and just lick her. But Applejack didn't know that the Mimic was Winona and I was afraid what my happen to Winona if one of Applejack's famous bucks connected.

Luckily for Winona that didn't happen. Applejack was too stunned by the site to even move. Winona went to jump on Applejack, then the crazy happened. In mid air Winona changed back into the dog she originally was. That stopped me in my track, that shouldn't have happened but it did. Then again a lot of things that shouldn't happen, do happen in Equestria.

It didn't take long for Applejack to put two and two together and she gave me a look that could kill. And now that I look back on it I wish it did for what happened next. She charged at me at full speed and headbutted me just below the belt. That brought me down to my knees. Then came a full force buck to the face. The last think I heard before blacking out was the sound of my goggles shattering.

I awoke later in hospital bed. To my surprise in the corner of the room was Applejack and Applebloom fast asleep. Shortly after awaking nurse Redheart walked into the room.

“Well you seam to be fine now, but we couldn't save your eye.”

“My eye? That makes no sense I can see just fine out my” I stopped myself there.

I had always worn my goggles all the time since I arrived in Equestria. Not once could I recall taking them off. No one here new that my left eye was already gone. Plucked by the hero that stopped me those years ago. I think I know why Applejack is hear, she felt guilty for an irreversible injury she didn't cause.

I had never told anyone the story of when I went mad from my Ember Blight and let the Netherim control me. All the horrors I caused in an attempt to cure myself. I was honestly thinking about telling that story to Applejack when she woke.

I never did. Instead I just left a note saying the eye was gone before coming to Equestria. Then I left the hospital with those two still asleep.

Winona was back to normal, Applejack was back getting Applebloom out of my hair, and now I can get back to work on my Ember projects. I get to my study and look in the fish tank. The second fish is missing.