• Published 24th Jan 2013
  • 1,102 Views, 55 Comments

Echoes of Harmony - BronaFides



When Queen Chrysalis inadvertently tangles Equestria in war, only the Mane Six revisiting the history of the elements of harmony - literally - can save them all.

  • ...
3
 55
 1,102

The Shining Gates

“Formations!” The Captain of the Guard yelled. The supply wagon stopped, and the guard advanced to brace for the coming attack.

“I'll... be back,” Twilight Sparkle told her friends, before teleporting ahead to the Royal procession.

“I thought we might be seeing you,” Starswirl said, though he didn't take his eyes off the approaching dragon.

“That cyclone should have taken him all the way to the sea!” Twilight said.

“And so it probably did. Angry dragons are like any other angry creature. They move faster.”

Twilight nodded. “Thoughts this time?”

“How about... move!” Starswirl yelled. The dragon made a sudden lunge, his wingbeat bending the trees that he had passed, and he nearly landed on them as they dove aside. Somehow, he had missed. He turned towards Starswirl and Twilight Sparkle, raising his sharp talons before they could recover.

“Hold!”

Twilight had pulled up her magic, preparing to shield them, and Starswirl's horn likewise glowed in her peripheral vision. She looked around trying to find the source of the voice, for the dragon was as still as stone, though his eyes were still dilated to narrow slits that spoke rage and they glared at the unicorns.

“Rubyscale, enough!” the voice ordered again. “Let me down, boy,” it added more gently. The dragon's eyes relaxed, and finally its claw moved back, as if to scratch behind its ear, then descended slowly, palm up.

“That's a good boy, I know they've riled you up, but I need to speak with them.” The voice firm but level, and belonged to a unicorn. Between glinting silver helm and armor etched with shapes of various butterflies, her bright red mane danced in the wind generated by the dragon shifting his wings, settling down behind her, still glaring past her at Twilight and Starswirl She turned her green eyes, sharp as the crossed spears that made her cutie mark, towards the two of them as she descended from the dragon's paw. “You are approaching the Shining Gates of Aurelia and have entered the domain of Princess Chrysalis, what business do you have here?” She pointed a canary yellow hoof at them accusingly.

That question is for us to answer,” the familiar voice boomed as Celestia approached, her head regally high and her eyes sharp, “and to Princess Chrysalis and no other.

“Ah, erm, Princess Celestia,” the newcomer addressed her, bowing low, her tone softening. “I did not expect this to be thy delegation, forgive me. We'd heard of the problems to the north, and given Rubyscale's descriptions, I expected brigands and... well, forgive me. I should know better than to trust the description of an angry dragon with a wounded pride. I am Firebane, Captain of Her Highness' Royal Guard.”

“Thy transgression is understandable, Captain Firebane,” Celestia reassured her, though her tone and posture didn't soften, “Perhaps thou should take a position at the lead of our procession, to avoid further confusion?”

“Of course, by thy will, Princess,” Firebane bowed again cordially. She blushed slightly, looking past Celestia to the guards that were still in battle formations. “I'll give thy procession a moment to... recompose themselves after the confusion.” She jumped back into Rubyscale's paw, who advanced a few steps away from the party after she mounted, rather than taking flight again.

“An intimidating figure,” Starswirl noted. “I suppose the dragon adds to the effect.”

“It was the eyes more than the dragon,” Twilight countered. He glanced at her questioningly and she added, “trust me on this one.” Maybe it's a good thing Fluttershy isn't that assertive.

“She means well, and has a gentle heart,” Celestia said. “Chrysalis wouldn't have made her Captain otherwise. Now, if the vicious brigand wizards would return to their places,” she added, winking subtly at the two of them, “we will continue onwards.”

Twilight smiled and returned to her friends, explaining the escort.

“Dragon Riding, now that's gutsy!” Rainbow Dash commented. “Hey, Fluttershy, you should use The Stare to tame a dragon to ride, too.”

Once Fluttershy was reassured that the dragon would remain in front of the procession, she had come out of hiding from the back of the supply cart. “Oh, I don't think that I'd make a good dragon rider.”

“Sure, you'd be fine, right Iris?” Rainbow Dash countered.

“Huh?” Iris answered absently. “Sure.”

“Something wrong?” Rainbow asked.

“Just... she sounds familiar.” Iris smoothed back the stray hairs in her mane absently.

“Uh. Yeah. The Stare.” She pointed to Fluttershy, then to her own eyes to emphasize, crossing them to focus on her own hoof as she moved it inwards.

“No, it's something else...” Iris drifted off, both in thought and literally a bit further from the group. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash exchanged glances and Rainbow Dash shrugged.

They marched only a short while longer when the ground seemed to rise. When they reached the crest of the hill, Firebane and Rubyscale took to the sky again, signaling to somepony unseen in the distance, before turning back to the delegation and calling to them. “We have arrived. Welcome, travelers, to the Shining Gates of Aurelia!” She bowed dramatically from her dragon's back, and he likewise bowed and drifted to the side to allow a clear view of the valley.

Ahead was a short wall with a bustling, bright town within it. Ponies went about their daily business tending to fields and tall bright flowers.

“Alfalfa, milkweed, cornflowers, lavender, goldenrod, whole heaps of herbs...” Applejack began tallying the crop variety.

Beyond that was a river that flowed through the middle of town with a simple bridge that was barely noticeable next to the arch that stood on the other bank.

“Rainbow Dash,” Rarity said, “When I asked how the castle looked, do you think maybe one might have mentioned,” her voice began rising in tone, “the beautiful, ornate, intricately carved, jewel encrusted golden arch!?

“Well, I had to leave some surprises, didn't I?” Rainbow Dash replied, her eyes narrowing at Rarity as she grinned, leaving the white unicorn stammering.

“So, the 'Shining Gates' aren't just an expression,” Twilight Sparkle noted. Among the intricately carved figures on the arch, some looked familiar, and she realized it was a depiction matching the stained-glass windows in the room behind the throne in Canterlot of the defeat of the Windigoes and the uniting of all ponykind. So Aurelia was built after that as well. I wonder, is there a similar monument in the Crystal Empire? She mentally noted to contact her brother when they returned.

Beyond the arch was a taller wall, and a vast, open double door that served as the functional castle gates. As Rainbow Dash had said, the rest of the castle was laid out like an open version of the castle of the Alicorn Sisters in the Everfree. Not only were the windows open frames, but ornate, massive planters lined the walls, one in front of each massive pillar. Butterflies flitted in and out, drawn by the sweet scents and bright colors. In the middle of the open entryway, there was an ornate, multi-tiered fountain carved with images of the local exotic birds they had seen on their journey, right where the Elements of Harmony were displayed in the castle's mirror in the future.

“Cryssie's castle is quite pretty, sister!” Luna whispered loudly to Celestia. Celestia said nothing, but nodded.

Ahead of them, another large archway, more plain than the main gate, separated them from the receiving room in front of throne room. A single guard stood on either side of the arch, their armor matching the style worn by Firebane. Several paces closer was a unicorn stallion, dressed in unremarkable gray formal attire. His mane and tail were light blue, complimenting his dusty yellow color. His cutie mark was an unfurled scroll, and he was checking the pocket watch in front of his nose, shaking his head disapprovingly and mumbling before closing it and tucking it in his suit.

“Greetings, Princess Celestia, Princess Luna,” his said, his bow as perfunctory as his voice. “Forgive us, but thy quarters will be prepared shortly, Her Highness was not expecting such a large delegation...” He trailed off, his eyes darting towards Twilight and her friends so briefly that she thought that she might have imagined it.

“We met them by chance on our travels,” Celestia explained, “though they, too, seek an audience.”

“I see,” the unicorn replied, his eyes narrowing, as he turned to address them. “I'm afraid in light of the... recent events, The Butterfly Court is not accepting any foreign petitions.” He turned back to the princesses, adding, “present company accepted, of course.”

“We must insist, Chamberlain,” Celestia admonished. “We owe them a great debt for their assistance on the road, and will vouch for them.” She arched her eyebrows as she added, “Surely our reassurance is sufficient?”

He paused a moment, expressionless before replying, “With respect, I will allow Her Highness to make that decision, but I will express thine opinion.” He advanced to Rarity, who had taken the lead of their group in matching with their cover story. “My name is Chamberlain, and I will handle thy needs during thy stay in Aurelia.” If his bow to Celestia was lacking, the bow he offered Rarity was barely noticeable.

“Lady Rarity,” she introduced herself, an irritated expression flickering quickly across her face. For her part, Rarity countered with the most flourishing curtsy she could muster, and stayed at the lowest point, waiting, as if she hadn't noticed Chamberlain's polite nod at all. For a moment, he stood as if frozen, clearly wanting to walk away, but unable to merely dismiss her gesture. The guards shifted uncomfortably in the awkward silence before at last Chamberlain clumsily returned a full bow. Rarity rose at last, with only the slightest smirk.

“Both your delegations can wait in the quarters until Her Highness can receive you,” Chamberlain said as he exhaled, turning sharply to lead them.

“No.” Celestia's refusal was monotone.

Chamberlain stopped mid-stride, so that Rarity and her procession almost ran into him. “I-I'm afraid Her Highness will already have their appointments through today at least, perhaps I can-”

I have come as emissary from King Discord of Equestria, on a mission of goodwill and utmost import to all the kingdoms of ponykind.” To his benefit, Chamberlain seemed less shaken by the Royal Canterlot voice than he did by Rarity's performance. The butterflies that flitted randomly throughout the hall seemed to scatter from the area before Celestia continued, only slightly softer. “I have traveled with haste through the perils of the Badlands for an audience. Surely on such grounds, I might request my own cousin find time to receive me yet today?”

Author's Note:

And so more of the lineage of Princess Platinum is revealed! More to come...