• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 356 Views, 1 Comments

Northern's Lightening - Northern Sparkle



"There are no gains without pains" -Benjamin Franklin. Northern Sparkle, after suffering troubles at home, flies away and gets trapped in an unknown dystopia. There, she meets Thunder Bolt and his sisters. They're duty is to stop King

  • ...
 1
 356

Chapter 1


It wasn’t long until I could start walking again. I didn’t know how long I had been out for, but when I awoke, the rain had stopped. I’m still wet though. After the storm swept me out of the sky, I was forced to the ground. I must’ve hit my wind during the fall because when I move it, it stings and aches. There is no doubt it is broken. There is the possibility I broke it when I hit the ground as well. I look up to see the sun almost halfway through the sky. It should be around two. I look around for my satchel. I look up at the trees, desperate to see the brown bag that had a heart pattern across the bottom. That bag had everything I need. Everything. So where was it? On second thought, where am I? What will I do? And is my wing really broken? I don’t know anything. All I know is that I’ll be grounded for a few days.

With every step, I could feel the ground getting harder and dry. I must’ve been walking for an hour or so through this jungle. I’m getting thirsty and hungry. I stop in my tracks and take a look around. I allow myself to rest and sit. I glance at my left and see a maze of trees. I turn my head to the right and see some more. And in front of me? What do you know? More trees. This jungle had stolen me from the sky and wrapped me in its puzzle. I’m going to die, I tell myself. It rings in my head. The same voice in my head comes out and urges me to keep going and not to give up. It’s almost as if an angel sits on one shoulder while the devil rests on the other. They keep arguing back and forth, but I decide to go with the good voice. I get up and start walking again.

I walk for a good half hour and think about giving up. But then out of the corner of my eye I see something. It’s almost as if it’s calling for me. I quickly turn to see what it ism and immediately start wincing at the stinging pain in my wing. But I turn my attention away from my wing and on to the thing. Water! I start to trot but it hurts so I stop and continue to walk to the pond. I feel smooth mud underneath my hooves. I look into the icy blue water and see a pony. I’m the pony of course, except my coat is no longer white. It is covered with the filth from the jungle. My hair is a crystal blue that reaches the ground. My eyes are grey and I have long eyelashes that protect them. Through my eyes only, I show a worried expression. I am nothing like the girl I remember, the last time I looked into my reflection was back in our cottage in Fillydelphia. This new version of me here in this pond is all scraped up. Her wing is broken. A scratch goes along her cheek. I’m shocked to see myself.

I lean my head near the water and drink. It is delicious. There are no words to describe it. It is- “Hey!” a male voice yells. Startled, I fly backwards. My wing throbs. I wince at the pain and look at my wing. A stallion comes up to me. He has a dirty gray coat and silky black hair that stands up- yet still flows. He is a pegasus. I stand up and look into the deep blue eyes he has. Where did he come from? And why did he decide to scare me like that? I think to myself. “Sorry I scared you” His voice is calmer and low now. “Sure you are” I doubt.
“Hey, I just didn’t want you getting sick.”
“What do you mean?”
“The water, it’s sickening.”
“But it tastes so good!”
“Feel free to get sick then.”
“What does it do to you?” I ask him. I don’t think it would be bad, but he changes my mind quickly. “You’ll grow weaker and weaker by the minute. Up until the point where you can’t even breathe. You’ll die in a matter of days.” he keeps the same fragile and soft tone as he speaks. I don’t know what else to say, so I stand their awkwardly. “You’re not from around here are you?” he asks. “No, I was just flying and got caught in that storm…” I answer.
“Do you need a place to stay?”
“Do you have a place I can stay at?”
“Come with me,” He smiles.

We walk for a while to a town. The town is surrounded by a stone wall, where in some places is covered in moss. The gate is golden, and locked from what I can tell up on this hill. The hill we are on is grassy and away from the jungle. We look down at the city below. “Why does it look locked up?” I look at him. “Welcome to Skylar. Where ponies are tortured daily. Where King Venus rules. And where no pony is allowed in or out,” he is happier as he adds, “But I’m not going to take you in here. I built a cottage a little bit away from here you can stay at.” “This is where you live… right?” I ask. “Unfortunately,” he sighs. “Then why are you outside the walls?” I’m still looking into his eyes. “Every day I sneak out and plan escape routes. I plan to rescue every pony that’s in danger. We can’t take this pain any longer.” He looks back at the town. I try to understand what he is saying. How bad is this pain? “Show me” I tell him. He quickly turns his head to look at me. He looks at the ground, then at the city, then back at me. “I’m going to regret meeting you and showing you this.”

We walk down the hill to the side of the town wall. There are now windows, gates, guards, or anything. I look around trying to find a hole or something. “How do we get through?”
“We fly”
“I can’t. I hurt my wing when I got caught in that storm”
“Not even over this wall?”
“I don’t think so”
“Hop on” he bends down. I stare at him. I wonder if he knows if it is safe or not. I have no control over what I do. I get on him and hold on tight. I feel us rise and I close my eyes. I’m nervous for what might happen next.