• Published 15th Jan 2013
  • 494 Views, 0 Comments

The Terra Affirmation - Silver Eyes



Without wings or magic earth ponies must work three times as hard to achieve even half as much. However when in the face of genocide at the hooves of the other tribes a village under the leader ship of a mysterious stallion strives to end the warfare

  • ...
 0
 494

Chapter 1 Pioneer

Years ago; long before Celestia the solar goddess came to power there is a time period spanning some hundred years. In this time there is are few recoverable recorded documents despite the efforts of most archaeologists especially those brave enough to endure the perils of jungles and slightly embellished depictions of action in books; there are only a few solid facts. The first and foremost important being the beginning of early depictions and inscriptions of “necklaces and bracelets adorned with gems” said to appear on select individuals. The second determinable fact of the time would be the sudden population shift among the griffon species after the discovery of a sunken shipyard containing ancient harpoons and what appear to be metal cages. The presence of these artefacts would suggest that the griffins there would collect fish and deliver them back to their homeland inside the cages in order to…

182 BCE
The world is dark and will be for a while yet. It's perhaps an hour past twilight and the crescent moon is nearly impossible to see because of the thick layer of mist hanging in the air. The ground is damp under hoof but the only sound to be heard is the soft patter of rain falling from the small collection of clouds overhead. It was truly a perfect night for travelling between towns and so the group of close to a hundred earth ponies stealthily stalked behind their leader around in the night, their only sense of direction being the tail of the pony in front of them held firmly in their teeth. Walking ahead of everypony else led Rising Dawn the esteemed guide and designated pack mule of the group.

Despite her wish to travel light most of the ponies following her had taken extra provisions following the destruction of their homes and were unable to carry the burden for the trip. Despite the extra weight though she could not bring herself to blame the following ponies, the journey was far from her worst and the issues of the extra weight and the stallion she hardly knew raising her tail aside everypony was moving quickly and quietly. Riding on top of his mother's mountain of other ponies' luggage sat her ash coloured son Shadow glaring into the eyes of the nervous stallion behind his mother. He had already talked to the teal pony before setting out and kindly informed him that if buck’s eyes wandered below his the stallion would wake the following morning as a gelding. The journey had been dull compared to the over expeditions his mother had told him about before and in some cases during her pregnancy with him, he still had night terrors occasionally when she told him about the dangers that plagued the roads of the land, the dream where a giant winged beast flew away with his mother clutched in its barbed forelegs still terrified him after she told him of the gryphons that raided unsuspecting travellers. The stallion's eyes begun to lower again and for what felt like the twentieth time for the young colt he reached for the shovel firmly secured to his mother's side and began to undo the straps holding it in place, fearing injury the stallion's gaze returned to his face and he was about to retie the knots when his mother suddenly stopped.

The pony behind her stopped and for as far as Shadow's eyes could see the single file convey ground to a halt. There was no movement and thankfully nopony had collided with another, his mother's ears flicked back and forward searching for the source of a sound to faint for him to hear. Silence hung in the air as the group stood statue still waiting for their leader to act, seconds of tense silence passed and the stillness was becoming too much to bear for some. He could see ponies fidgeting and looking around nervously in the heavy mist. Her eyes still shut Rising flicked her tail and as per her adamant instructions the stallion released her tail and in turn swished his singling the pony behind him to release his , seeing the group being given the wordless order to be ready to run Shadow swiftly started to undo the straps holding his shovel steady, his mother's words to drop everything and run if they were attacked falling on deaf ears. Slowly and deliberately Rising lowered into a running stance and held her breath, mimicking her movements the stallions behind her all dropped into a near prone position and waited, still struggling with the final clasp on the shovel Shadow stopped as the unmistakeable sound of beating wings reached his ears and turned in time to see a pair of dark shadows emerge from the mist. One to take away his mother and the other to take him, unable to do anything but watch his nightmare unfold, he turned to look at his mother one last time before the darkness took her from him. Rising violently tore the shovel from its final binding and was brandishing the tool in her teeth still standing statue still as the sound of bearing wings grew closer.

Shadow turned to see a pair of barbed talons fly just over his head as his mother dropped to the ground and rolled carrying him with her. The second beast screeched in anger and flew straight for them unaware that Rising had regained her footing was already aware of its presence. In a fluid motion she tore the shovel from the remaining strap and swung the bladed edge at the gryphon's beak. Shadow saw the figure howl with pain clutching its wounded face before hitting the ground and bouncing once, then twice, before finally vanishing into the mist and landing with a sickening crack. Spitting the now broken tool from her mouth Rising turned to see the rest of her group still standing still, those who could see the sudden attack now quaking were they stood "we've been spotted run for it" she shouted over the emerging cries of other gryphons. While the majority of the ponies following had experienced violence of some degree some had even heard a gryphon screech before and were still in shock. Looking back at the remainder of the group while his mother scrambled through the muddy ground Shadow’s eyes focused on the teal stallion running just behind them. The meagre stallion was running in pure terror in his eyes that opened wider as his mother lurched left suddenly as a white and brown blur flew past them cutting the blue pony's neck. The stallion stumbled with the force of the impact but miraculously kept running as blood poured from the gash in his neck. Shutting his eyes Shadow clung to his mother praying for safety.

A full minute later the screams stopped altogether but the sound of hoof beats grew louder and more numerous. Five minutes later he heard his mother again "open the gate" she screamed knocking twice with her hoof "are the raiders gone" a stallion shouted "do I look like a gryphon " his mother replied sarcastically "now open the gates up we have wounded ponies here" seeing no raiders in sight the guard pony signalled his three companions to remove the barring in the wooden palisade gates. Shadow opened his eyes as his mother picked him up and placed him on the ground next to her before clearing her throat "wake up you lazy layabouts there are ponies who need help and homes here" her shouting bellowing through the relatively small village lighting candles everywhere. Looking around Shadow saw the teal stallion still just behind his mother looking absent-mindedly around his hooves and most of his barrel, both heavily stained with his own blood, noticing her son and the near dead stallion Rising kept shouting for help and soon the ponies following her joined in. Ponies were coming out of their homes now and the few guards protecting the town gate were back in their tower looking for any pursing gryphons "where is a healer" she screamed to a nearby guard. The pony looked at them then at the bleeding stallion limping behind her and stuttered something incomprehensible, seeing his lack of reaction she asked went to another pony, the stallion and her son following closely behind. Shadow looked at the unfolding event behind him as his mother asked another villager, the few ponies who were actually wounded where lying with relatives or alone trying to stop themselves bleeding with patches of grass or rope. The others mingled in the crowd still trying to find relatives or were yelling profanities to nopony in particular. Among the chaos a single incredibly deep voice yelled out "quiet" stopping every pony in their tracks.

Shadow turned and saw the source of the silence around him, the largest pony he had ever seen walking into the town square "who is responsible for leading you all here". Seeing the opportunity for help Rising quickly walked up to the brown stallion with her teal companion still limping after her, before she could speak the mayor held up a hoof and waved to some of the guards "where is the leader" he yelled ignoring her entirely. The guard sheepishly pointed back toward the large stallion who looked down at Rising Dawn "You the leader of this town" she said hastily. The stallion scowled "mayor Durning” he said before Rising spoke again "are there any healers in this town" she began looking through the crowd "blacksmiths, sail makers flax weavers or unicorns any at all". The mayor signalled for his guards to come before replying "we have a forge and Patchwork has some stitching materials in her home but no healers for your husband, mare" Rising turned around and looked at the bleeding stallion behind her looking mildly disguised and surprised before answering "have her bring whatever she can spare and tell your smith to warm his fire" the mayor bellowed her instructions to the waiting ponies and his guards who followed him, dragging ponies from their activities with them. Seeing the remained of her group disband Rising turned to her son and the wounded stallion "Shadow stay close" she said quickly making her way to the blacksmith with the rest of the ponies the stallion still limping after her. Obeying without a sound he walked up beside the bleeding blue pony and looked at his face. His eyes were weary and distant simply tracking his mother’s movements as she walked, he tried to speak to the stallion but all efforts, even poking his leg as he walked failed to wake him from his trance. Rising led the wounded pony to the forge where a couple of villagers were holding their companions down as the blacksmith pressed a heated iron rod against their lesser wounds cauterizing them while at the other side of the workshop a pink and brown mare sat trying to keep a crimson filly with a blue mane carrying a ball of string away from the injured ponies. The mare spotted the lacerated stallion and dropped her thread, pushing her out of the way Rising tried laying the stallion down. Gazing into nothingness the stallion's body was shaking slightly as she tried to turn him on his uninjured side "lie down" she whispered to him "your fine just lie down and you can go home soon" seeing no response she hugged him closer and slowly eased him into the ground.

The stallion continued to stare vacantly, his breaths becoming shorter and sharper as Rising took the needle from the stunned mare and set to work saving his life while the red filly tugged Shadow’s mane "come with me" she said quietly walking away with Shadow’s mane in tow "your mom will take care of your dad" she said releasing him, he flinched as she mentioned his farther and turned his head away. Seeing his reaction the red filly continued to pester him "isn't he your dad" he shook his head still unwilling to make eye contact "well he looks like a good dad and your mom seems like him" she said innocently, he scowled and looked toward his mother trying not think of the dying stallion he had threatened earlier today. Red Thread sighed, certain that if she persisted with her questioning she could get him to talk and hopefully cheer up "my name is Red thread what's yours" she asked extending her hoof "Shadow" his mother called. Hearing her voice he rushed to her side "I have to go and fetch the blacksmith, that means you have to keep this pony safe okay" he nodded once his eyes falling to the stallion's bleeding wound and the overlapping crossed lines of yarn pulsating with every breath the stallion took like some daemon with a sharp jagged smile trying to escape its host and reach out to him "Shadow" his mother near said sternly brining his focus back to her "this pony is not wounded you hear, he is lying on his back because he is tired, he is home he is safe but he does not close those eyes understand?" He nodded once more as his mother slowly got and walked off, he watched her leave for a moment before turning his attention back to his mother's words.

He looked into the stallion’s eyes 'you are not hurt, you are home, you are safe, but you can't go to sleep yet' the words rebounded though his mind as he gazed into the eyes of the stallion. The twin blue orbs continued to stare into space however as if looking though his head and into the starry sky above him, the colt knew the stallion was dying before him, wound were usually death sentences unless you paid a unicorn to clean and treat the wound with their magic. A mare he knew back near the river village cut the underside of her hoof one day and had to have her family remove her leg or lose the last of their food to pay a for the magic to purge infections. When she was told of her choices she reportedly 'left' the village and lived alone, he knew the mare to be as stubborn as any farmer and even more so when it came to becoming a burden for her family, but he also knew Bracken Hoof's equipment well enough to notice a missing rope and stool though. The colt closed his eyes at the memory of the mare he couldn't remember and tried to speak to the stallion bleeding before him 'I can't do this' he thought as he looked at the vacant eyes before him and the hideous wound 'you will not cry, you will not die' his hysterical mind repeated echoed as he world around him began to grow silent, his entire focus was poured onto the blue orbs before him, he didn't move or think he just tried to remain inconspicuous.


A few paces away Rising nervously paced on the spot she knew the stallion needed to live, she never forgot the faces of the ponies that she left with that never made it to their home, she rarely lost ponies to the elements using her sharp mind and eyes to find a route to safety or fashion some method to defy mother nature's will for them to die hungry or freezing in the wilderness. She knew how to fashion splints, knit injuries, terrify Timberwolves and build a house using only her bare hooves and some bark. What her mind could never do however was endanger her son. She could have warned the ponies following her earlier, she could have stopped to help those who had frozen with shock, she could have simply ducked as the gryphon flew at her. But no that would leave her son alone in the world just like she was left by her first and only love, the bastard of a farmer that left her the very morning after she spent a night in his company, she could have saved lives on many of her journeys, when she or her son were at risk though she never batted an eye. The blacksmith removed his superheated tongs from the fire and tried to have the guards hold down the mare before them "you don't have to do this she's fine" the mare who had a nasty cut across her left foreleg squirmed in pain as her stallion tried to push a guard away "sir she needs to close the wound or she might die" one of the guards said trying to calm her husband “the buck she does tis barely and a cut she's no stallion but she won't need to be burnt" the blacksmith replaced the tongs for the third time as the pair continued to argue "it will only hurt for a moment" the guard stated "it'll be too much for her" her husband countered. Seeing the wounded ponies waiting for attention Rising eventually spoke "are you willing to risk her life over this" she stated "the cut is clearly across her leg and who knows how deep, it needs to be closed now" the stallion stared at her for a moment before replying "who do you think you are you, whore".

The ponies around them all turned to look and Rising Dawn for once was too shocked at the outburst to respond "you lead us into gryphons then expect me to believe you know what's best for her" the stallions words tore into her were gryphon claws could not, she had left the ponies behind, just as she was but just as Shadow might be if she didn't heal herself physically and mentally. She looked at the mare she was trying to save and then to the wound down her own leg where the gryphon scratched her. She would normally remind the stallion opposing her that she was ahead of the group killing raider while he hung back near the female contingent of the group, she hated the practice but as her family used to say 'colts couldn't be fillies about things' she would insult him. Win and have the respect of the town. But now she was tired and above all a mother. She couldn't trade her life for her pride. Raising her leg she let the crowd see the trail of blood pouring to her hooves "Treat her or don't, she won't die now but by the time you both fall sleep she may never want to wake up, all you’re doing here is wasting time, so chose now or somepony else won’t get that luxury". She stared at the stallion with a solemn look, he was about to respond when he noticed ponies bowing their heads and turned to see the mayor. Stopping a single pace away the mayor dwarfed all around him by "smith what is the hold up here" the grey stallion walked to his forge as a guard answered for him "this mare is wounded she needs treatment, but her husband doesn't want her hurt". Rising saw The mare stare at the huge brown pony for no longer than a second then look away as he turned his gaze at her "she needs to be healed we can't afford any losses" the guard present nodded and looked over to the blacksmith who was already walking toward them as he approached Rising stood in front of him "the next pony you give that to is a blue stallion with a gashed neck, I can afford to wait a little longer with this cut just make sure you help him, he's lying over there with my son". She expected resistance and was in the midst of figuring out what to say when the blacksmith simply nodded and continued walking. The ponies behind her said nothing as she walked back behind them "Rising Dawn follow me" the mayor said as he turned and began to walk off. She looked over to her son who returned a look of pride and awe, feeling proud yet weak she walked after the mayor offering an remorseful glance to the stallion as the tongs grew closer to his wife "at least give her something to bite" he said defeated as she turned away from him.

The pair reached a wooden house; the cut timber and dry thatched roof making the large building stand out among the many huts around the village. As they reached the door Rising saw the two ponies flanking each side of the door stand aside as the mayor walked inside, when Rising stepped inside she was greeted by woven tapestries of a green leaf and accompanied by a horseshoe, rugs adorned the hardwood floor leaving little room for the tables locked chests that filled the remainder of the space. Seeing her reaction the mayor smirked, it was usually easier to talk to a pony of her nature in a room such as this, he found it was easier for them to recognize the power he held without having to use his already unmatched strength "take a seat here" he said sitting on the mat near his favoured reading desk. Rising looked at the stallion sitting in front of her, in all her years she had only ever heard of unicorns possessing such fine rooms in their towns, to think such a village would have a pony wealthy enough to afford this was unbelievable "may I ask why you summoned me here mayor" she asked trying to keep composed in the presence of such wealth. His smile faltered for a spilt second before he continued "simply to discuss payment" he said causing red flags to wave in Rising's mind "I do not remember asking the town for money mister mayor" he laughed dryly for a moment before replying "this is nothing to worry about miss Dawn I am simply here to discuss additional income issues". She looked at him quizzically raising an eyebrow "you brought many families home today Rising, this was no easy task considering the threat of the gryphons nearby therefore I believe some additional payment is in order" as he finished his sentence the mayor pulled a small bag of bits and threw it too her.

Her eyes tracked the bag and after grabbing in her mouth she pulled open he top and gazed at the bits inside "I appreciate hard and honest work Rising, and I believe all work should be rewarded in kind" Rising looked at the stallion whom bowed his head to her in recognition of her task. Between the coins and the kind words Rising Dawn felt ecstatic, unable to pay the full cost for a guide ponies following her often provided food or some of their belongings to make ends meet, this meant she would either have to haul heavy loads around and find somepony else to barter with at a nearby shop, coins however where universal to any trader which meant she could easily and comfortably restock her supplies and still not have to carry unbelievable weight or linger around in town waiting for somepony in the unicorn kingdom to have need for a very useless otherwise chair or cooking pot. She was wealthy for once, all thanks to the stallion's generosity "it is always a pleasure mayor Durning to help ponies in need of a new home" the mayor nodded "indeed it is, though I must admit ponies like you are becoming less frequent, especially with the gryphons about" she stopped smiling and the mayor realized his error "but raiders are still rather diminutive of threat when you have the protection of the walls and the archers up here safety is a luxury the ponies you brought here can now enjoy" he said quickly and apologetically. Rising nodded but the flattery put her instincts back on notice "thank you mayor but I simply strive for my son and myself and deserve no greater title than any of your farmers" she said modestly "speaking if which I believe I must go collect payment from the other ponies and talk with my child" she picked up the coin bag and walked from his room nodding to him as she left". The mayor sat in silence for a moment before slamming his hoof to the ground, he knew words were not his strong suit, but to remind her of the gryphon was so foolish even for him at such a late hour, still angry he walked to one of his chests and pulled a bottle from it. He pulled the cork seal and drank the sweet smelling liquid as the morning began, he mare would continue to be trouble for his small town but despite his size he knew could be subtle when he needed to be.

Shadow waited for his mother's return, the eager colt barely able to sit still. He had been petrified with sheer terror and once again his mother had saved them, this time however she did something he had never seen her accomplish. A crowd of ponies stood in her way and in the way of a timid mare who was suffering a life a cut at the hooves of her husband who refused to let her be helped, the guards couldn't help with all of their muscle or their spears, and who should come to her rescue but another mare, his mommy. She stood against a stallion something he heard mares should never do and talked. And the crowd of ponies stood in silence hanging on her words like he was, and against all odds the mare got help, he looked away when he saw the mayor walk away with her and instead looked at his bleeding pony. His mother left him in charge of comforting the stallion and if she could save a mare and stand against a group of ponies and the unspoken law, his soul be damned he wasn't going to let his feelings stop him. As the blacksmith came over to seal the wound he began to talk to the stallion whispering in his ear just as his mother did, he couldn't emulate her soothing tone quite as well but the stallion didn't flinch as his wound was closed up. When the blacksmith asked him if he was going to be alright he nodded and continued to speak to the semi-conscious stallion, repeating the phrase and adding some words of his own making the stallion finally blink. He could see his mother walking back now with a small bag held firmly in her mouth.

Fighting the urge to run to her and take some of the luggage she was still carrying around he stayed near put and continued to care for his patient. Sighing heavily she released the bag letting the small pouch fall at her sons feet following with the rest of her shortly "good evening Shadow, how fares our friend here" she replied with her face in the dirt. He smiled and gently moved her muzzle from the ground nodding feverishly "no problems with the blacksmith" she asked smiling as he shook his head "still adamant about not speaking at writing time". He looked her in the eye for a moment satisfied that she remembered the sacred time they both put aside in the evenings teaching him to write and read, letting go of his mother’s face he began to trace letters in the dirt. Watching her son's best attempt at a word Rising tried to keep her thoughts focused on the ground before her. She would normally wait until she had collected all of her pay from ponies and found a place to sleep before writing with her son, however between her tired muscles and the fact that ponies had been killed and injured in her company she decided to let the matter rest. At least until morning came. Finished with his message Shadow sat puffing his small chest out in pride, she looked over the writing scrawled in the dirt and uttered a small laugh filled with mirth "you misspelt 'mayor', I'm fairly sure he would be offended if you called him a big girl" the colt grinned sheepishly and corrected his message. As he wrote the stallion stirred, he rolled his head towards Rising and her son his eyes fluttering trying to focus on the image beside him. Shadow stopped his writing and looked back toward his mother who had immediately gotten up and walked to the stallion and sat beside him.

His eyes blinked again trying to make out the pony beside him, he tried in vain to talk only uttering a low gurgle before faintly putting a hoof to his throat "no no no" Rising said gently holding his hoof midway "you're fine don't worry" the stallion looked up at her and blinked twice. She sighed in relief at his reaction, thankful that he was actually responsive instead of mindlessly following her, even when she confronted the mayor, and the gryphons, and even on the point of returning from shock he seemed calm and composed in her presence. She quickly glanced back at Shadow who was looking intently into his eyes "Shadow dear can you retrieve the blanket from my bag please". Watching her son leave she leaned in close to the stallion "thank you for staying with me, I- I'm sorry I couldn't" she looked again at the stallion, his face was relaxed showing no aggression or enmity toward Rising, the notion of going as far to silently forgive her making her all he more frustrated "it's my fault your like this" she concluded closing her eyes. She felt another hoof grab hers and opened her eyes again; the stallion whom she barely knew was holding her hoof with both of his. Shadow pulled the large woven blanket from the backpack and turned to see his mother given the stallion a hug. He was about to cry out in anger when heard his mother sniffle, he stopped in his tracks and tried to process what he heard, his mother the unshakable and unbeatable traveller had just shown weakness. He walked over to her and hugged her in turn, the pair both looked at Shadow who in return threw the blanket over them "I will take first watch tonight" he said assuredly. At a loss for words he walked over back the pile of bags and stood watch for any who would steal from them as they slept. Rising watched her son for a while longer before laying her head down and letting her exhausted body rest, the stallion placed a foreleg over her and finally closed his eyes promptly fell asleep, exhausted in body and mind she closed her eyes and waited to follow him for a change, despite the small sting in her leg or the nerve wracking worry she felt about the place she was in she at least had a shoulder to cry into, or in her case sleep on. Too tired for tears or thoughts she fell asleep glad she finally had somepony to lean on.

Author's Note:

Meanwhile the Author sank back into his chair and resumed playing ‘Somebody to love’ by Queen trying to fall asleep in his incredibly jet lagged state, wondering why he chose to write a new story rather than try to fall asleep on the train ride home