• Published 13th Jan 2013
  • 1,552 Views, 18 Comments

Final Thoughts - Caesar2013



Shining Armor locks himself in his room. Writing his final words.

  • ...
6
 18
 1,552

Paradise Awaits

A bright light I see in the distance.

There is a voice, calling out for me.

"Come home my son, come home."

I feel a great urge to come to the voice.

It was a gentle feeling, not a coarse and unfeeling one.

I take a few steps, and feel the urge to go, go to the light.

"Where am I?

"Where have I been?"

"What is happening?"

"Why am I here?"

"Should I be here?"

"I remember feeling all depressed. It was as though any worth in living had been taken away. Each day a living hell in itself, only to be continued again the next day. I would walk around seeing people talking and laughing with their own loved ones, but that would not happen to me. For the life of my beloved wife and foal had been snuffed out by the complications of childbirth and biology. I'm sure the doctors tried as much as possible to save their lives, but the urgency was great, and that night my wife and foal had died. I thought I could silence my own pain with alcohol, that somehow the effects of that liquid could make me feel better. Instead I felt worse and worse. Then I made the stupid decision to end my own life. I ended up writing a suicide note, and locking myself in my room. I loaded a pistol and then shot myself. At the time I did not realize how my actions would affect everyone else in my life, my mother and father (who would have been the first to see my horrible selfish act), my friends and buddies, my fellow guards in Canterlot whom I had turned my back on, and most of all my beloved little sister, Twilight. I'm not sure if they can ever forgive me for what I've done."

There was a brightness that shone in Shining Armor's eyes. But it was not a painful sensation for the eyes. Rather it was a pleasant and peaceful sensation. It was as though that every single regret, every feeling of pain and sadness had been swept away like one would sweep dust with a broom. Shining Armor felt happiness for the first time since his beloved wife, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, Cadence, died along with their unborn foal.

Shining Armor then saw all of the moments as his life flashed before his eyes. He remembered the events of his life. He saw how he was when he was just a young colt, enjoying the toy Sword his loving parents had given him for Christmas. Perhaps it was here where Shining Armor would begin the path towards his future career in the military.

The memories continued to flash before Shining Armor as he continued moving towards the bright light, the peaceful light. Shining saw himself as a young colt holding his baby sister, Twilight, his Little Sister Best Friend Forever. He taught her how to fly a kite, helped her with her homework, and defended her from the many bullies that would pick on and torment her at school. It was also around their school age where Shining Armor met Cadence. That lovely mare would stop by to watch Twilight when there was no one around to take care of her as the parents would be away for business and Shining Armor would be away at a sport camp of sorts as Shining Armor was always involving himself in sports and athletics. When Shining Armor returned home one day after a game of Hoof Ball, Shining came across what was to his eyes the most beautiful mare in Equestria. She simply smiled at him and said hello. Shining Armor on the other hand simply ran out of the house, as he was too shy and scared to think of a proper thing to tell this mare. As the years went by, Shining Armor and Cadence's love and respect for each other grew until one day Shining Armor was able to convince Cadence to marry him.

As each memory continued, Shining Armor smiled at each one, from proving their love not just to each other, but also all of Equestria as it was the driving force behind ridding Canterlot of the Changeling Threat. What saddened Shining Armor was that the knowledge that he had lost his wife in childbirth due to complications resulting from a breech birth and a botch caesarean section ended the life of the duo. The period of time of his drunken period where he returned home each night after hours of drinking cider and other alcoholic beverages rang in his ears. Though Shining Armor was presented with each sin he had committed in his life, somehow, someway he felt as though they were finally atoned for. The memories end at last with Shining Armor and his memory of pointing the gun at his head, finally ending his last years of pain and sadness.

But Shining Armor felt sadness no longer, for he realized that he felt great, his pain was finally gone for Shining had finally arrived in the place he had sought for far too long. A place without pain and suffering, a place filled only with the happiness that Shining Armor had longed to have returned to him, but never received.

Shining Armor found himself in a sort of meadow like one from Equestria. There was a bright sun shining light from above, flowers growing amongst field, not a single thistle amongst their numbers. Not a single unpleasant feeling was to be found within Shining Armor, for the only thing he wanted to do was dance joyfully in the field without a care in the world.

"My son." A voice calling out to Shining Armor.

"Shinging Armor" The voice said again. "I know you feel that you do not deserve paradise, and that your so called selfish action would bar you from paradise. But you have given much during your life in Equestria. You and your beloved had saved it from a threat. Yet you have suffered greatly in your time in Equestria. Losing Caedence and your foal on the same day is a terrible ordeal that not many experience in their lifetimes. I know you can never forgive me for allowing that to happen. However, through your trials and ordeals, you have earned your place in paradise. I assumed you wished to see them again in a place most familiar to you. Enjoy paradise as it is in spring."

That voice sounded so peaceful, like a father talking to his child. It was so kind and caring like he knew of Shining Armor's every need and desire, being quite considerate of them. This place, of what Shining Armor called a meadow, was in actuality paradise in the afterlife. But there was just one thing missing…

There was a peck on Shining Armor's cheek. Someone had kissed him. He turned around to see who it was. Shining Armor was reunited with his wife.

"Hello my beloved." Cadence said embracing her husband for the first time since she had perished.

"Ca.. Cadence! Cadence!" Shining Armor formed tears in his eyes as he embraced his wife harder than ever before.

"Cadence, promise me you'll never… ever leave me again."

Cadence merely silenced his words with a kiss.

"Its paradise Shining Armor, we'll never be apart."

Behind Cadence, there was a little foal, a colt actually behind his mother.

"My colt! My colt!" Shining Armor said picking his Colt up for the first time.

And so the family was finally reunited in the paradise that was so sought after. They would live for eternity in happiness, never pained by death or separation. They could finally live in peace.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************
A mare sat in her room at Canterlot Castle. Young Princess Twilight Sparkle was removing her crown and preparing for bed late at night. She sighed softly as another day had gone by since her Big Brother Best Friend Forever had died. As she prepared to slip into bed, she heard a knock on the door.

"Knock... Knock"

"Who is it?" Twilight asked as she wanted to know who wanted to talk to her late at night

"It's your mentor, Princess Celestia." Celestia said on the other side of the door. "May, I come in if that's all right with you?"

"Of course Princess." Twilight said. "Please come in."

Princess Celestia slowly opened the door into Twilight's room in Canterlot. There was Twilight Sparkle laying on her bed, next to a pile of books of course.

"Twilight," Princess Celestia said with a look of concern. "I know you've been having a hard time dealing with your brother's death. I've come here to see if you're ready to talk about it."

Twilight Sparkle merely sighed again.

"It's odd, Princess." Twilight said to her mentor. "Though I keep thinking about him, the more I miss him."

Princess Celestia shook her up and down, perfectly understanding her words as through her years of immortality, she had seen many great mares and colts come and go.

"But even now…" Twilight said was a soft smile "I feel as though he's finally at peace."

The End