• Published 14th Jan 2013
  • 429 Views, 16 Comments

From Sacred Flames - ArtoriasFlagg



What happened to those loyal to Discord after his downfall? Where did they go? How did they survive? What sort of revenge have they designed for the ones who cast them down? Very soon Equestria will know, as something wicked this way comes...

  • ...
1
 16
 429

To Greener Pastures

Time... What is time? In the blink of an eye you witnessed one thousand years pass by. Civilizations crumbled, histories forgotten, the sands of eternity obscuring all. Yet now I must ask you to bear with me a bit longer, for our journey is not quite complete. There is one last stop we must make before we reach the modern age, one last walk we must take. So listen well once more, my child, for this may be the last time we speak for a very long time...

Several years had passed from the day the child was born. She came into the world in a wave of sapphire flames, forged from the ancestral spirits of chaos and bound with the blood of those who had damned her predecessors to a life in hiding and the souls of those who fell defending their precious city. It was only a few days later that she was changed, her form clouded by the ancient magics of the Elders who remained; taking on, like all other members of the chimeran race, the shape of pony. Scales were replaced by a fine coat, spines became a colorful mane, claws turned to hooves. All executed according to the prophecy that had brought the survivors into hiding to begin with... But now is not the time to speak of such things.

Now, we will speak no more of chimeras and sphinxes and other forgotten races. Let such things slip from your mind as we gaze upon a happier scene. Here, in the ruins of what might once have been a mighty city, a trade center has sprung up. A meeting point for the north and south, thousands wander these crossroads every day. Travelers, traders, explorers, refugees; all can be found here traveling alone or in groups. And, in a few cases, entire families can be seen migrating from the harsh condition of southern Equestria to the fertile lands of the north.

It is one such family that we follow now, a mother, a father, and their young daughter, a little filly asleep in the back of their cart. They have been traveling long, if their ragged looks can attest to anything, but have had little company on the road until now. As they leave the bustling trade village beneath the bizarre granite mountain they assimilate into the throng of travelers making for the northlands. Just three more nameless faces in the sea of anonymity that was the road to Canterlot.

The mother was an earth pony, with a brown coat dotted here and there with white. The father and daughter were unicorns, he a deep, dark blue while her coat was grey and pale. As the stallion took his turn pulling the cart the mare and her precious child rested on a cushion secured between all of their meager worldly possessions. Everything that they had from their old life had fit into the small covered wagon, with room enough left over for food, supplies, and the travelers themselves. Truly life had been difficult for those living in the water-starved lands of the south.

Many of the other travelers were passing by the slow-moving cart, some clearly in a rush to reach the next town before darkness fell. The little family had made camp by the sides of the road every night prior to this one, however, and clearly had no issue with continuing that trend today as well. As the sun slowly sank behind the mountains on the horizon, the the unicorn began to look for a place to stop for the night.

They were more than ten miles from the nearest town, yet the traffic had grown no less heavy on the road itself. After a few hours of walking through the earliest bits of the night the family came upon a small camp set up a few yards off the road. Familiar with the practice from the previous days' travels, the unicorn unhooked himself from the cart once it was to the side of the path and went over to speak with the group of ponies gathered about the central campfire.

He came back a few minutes later to rouse is family and pull the wagon up to the fire.

"Mari, sweetie, wake up. We're stopping for the night."

The earth pony opened her eyes slowly and yawned as she sat up. "Cy? Is it nighttime already?"

"Afraid so, I'm going to move the cart just over to the campfire over there with the others. A group of bards set up a little encampment here and said we were more than welcome to share it with them. Assuming as we don't mind the music, of course."

That made her chuckle; music had always been one of her great passions and was what brought them together to begin with. "A little music sounds like just the thing to take our minds off the journey... Did they say where they're traveling to?"

"Canterlot, by the sound of things. They were invited to play at a gala that's going to be held their later next year."

"Well then it looks like we're all heading in the same direction. Always nice to have some talented company on the road!"

The night passed by on a wind of haunting melodies weaves by harp, drum, flute, and voice. When morning finally came the bards, their followers, and the family all kept pace with one another. The musicians seemed as happy for the company as the family was.

"We've not had so many others to walk with for weeks! So many willing ears to hear us play."

"Its our pleasure, I assure you. My wife and I always loved the type of music you four play. Such beautiful sounds and stories, straight out of ancient times."

"Aye, its just our way of praising the old lore. We prefer that there's always a worthwhile story in what we play. Come to the fire tonight and you'll hear of Nightmare Moon's fall. Tomorrow it might be something about the founding of Canterlot or the war over the Badlands back south."

"Nightmare Moon's banishment seems to be a running theme in what you lot sing of... Is it something that's spoken of often where you come from? Because we were only ever told the most vague of stories about it when I was growing up. Simple mares-tales around Nightmare Night, but little else beyond that."

The singer's eyes seemed to light up at that. Over the course of their short journey together he had proven to be absolutely in love with the prospect of having an audience which was truly interested in hearing his stories. "You heard our final song last night, yes? The Lunar Lament? Well, lets just say that it is not entirely our own work. Its a well-known tale back home. Far to the south, where I once lived, we grew up hearing stories of the great Princess of the Night and how she helped establish our civilization, over a thousand years ago.

"Many of these stories focused on her perceived fall to darkness and the punishment she suffered for it. Most of those, however, explained how it was really her sister's lust for power which led to her banishment... though I would never be so foolish as to sing of such things once we reach Canterlot, of course!" He laughed heartily at that, though the truth of his words was clear behind the merriment of his voice.

The harp player spoke up from the other side of the singer. "Its not our place to decide which version of history is the right one. We simply want to make sure that both sides are heard, after that the audience is free to draw their own conclusions on the subject."

That night they made camp just off the road, the listeners drifting to sleep as the bards practiced their art. And so that became the norm, and for the better part of a year the family traveled north with the ever-changing changing audience that surrounded the musicians. Eventually they reached the northern regions, where sand and dust gave way to lush grass and lively forests. It was at that point that the songs of the Lunar Princess' glory and inevitable return to her people ceased, turning to tunes which glorified the the sun and the empire associated with it. Word would soon reach them of their beloved Princess' return, but we will come back to that story later.

After another few months they finally arrived at their destination: a small town just outside border of the Everfree Forest. The mountain upon whose face Canterlot nested was visible from the road and made for an incredible sight as they entered the cheerful little village. The cart carried only their belongings today, as all three family members walked beside it taking in the sights of what would soon be their new home.

"...And right over there is the train that will be taking our friends off to Canterlot. Maybe we'll go visit them sometime, how would you like that Ashy?" The unicorn looked down at his clearly distracted daughter, not really expecting an answer.

The little ash-colored filly was gazing around at the town as it unfolded around her, eyes wide and mouth stuck in an unintentional grin. The trade centers and little villages along the road had been nice, but they were often filled with nothing but adults and other travelers, and the few other friends she had met of her own age were soon saying their goodbyes as her family started moving again. Here, however, they had already passed two roaring bands of youngsters; all of them running about and playing without a care in the world. And best of all, for the first time in over a year, she wouldn't have to worry about leaving any of these new potential friends behind.

"Ash? You still with us, dear?" Her mother was smiling down at her as they walked. "You look a little out of it, sweetie. Everything okay?"

"Haha, better than okay! This place is great, just look at all the shops and houses. Everyone just going about their business without having to pick up and leave at a moment's notice. I love it!" Her attention suddenly turns to a building nearby as the large brass bell in its belfry begins to ring. "Hey! I think that's the schoolhouse! When can I start going? Huh? Huh?"

Her father had to chuckle at that. "Lets just focus on finding finding your uncle's house first, shall we Sport? As soon as we're all nice and settled in we'll look into getting you enrolled."

"Until zen, it looks like zere eez a library right down zee road," said the drummer as they turned the corner onto the village's main street. "If you're really sat eager for some education, zat eez. Hahaha..."

She didn't hear any of it. At that same moment another group of children had come running out from behind one of the buildings and had completely stolen her attention. The three fillies seemed to be of an age with her and looked to be having the time of their lives chasing after a trio of kites which, she could only assume, had gotten away from them moments earlier. Running, laughing, shouting at their run-away kites together; such simple pleasures that she might finally be able to enjoy for herself soon.

"Well... it looks like this is where we must part ways, I'm afraid. It has been a pleasure traveling with you three. Perhaps our we will meet again somewhere down the line." The singer bowed to the parents, mussed up Ash's mane, and wished them all the best of luck in their new life. The little filly had become very attached to the bard, whom had been one of the few friends she had had throughout the entire journey out of the south. The idea of losing that friend and the familiar faces that traveled with him sent a sudden pang of regret through her.

"Do... Do you really have to leave right now? Can't you stay with us just a little longer?" She made her eyes grow wider and brought them to the verge of tears, a trick one of the actors who had followed the troupe for a short time had taught her. It had worked wonders in the past, but did little good this time around.

"My apologies, little one. But I fear we are already later in arriving than we ever intended... Besides, I get that feeling that if we stay in this lovely little town too long we might never want to leave. It seems to be a wonderful place to live from what I've seen so far."

"Look us up if you ever come to Canterlot!" The harpist tossed a small ragged bag to them as he passed by with the band's instrument cart. "We'd love to see some familiar faces after all the strangers we're going to be playing for up there."

Ash snatched the little bag out of the air. As she opened it the sunlight struck its contents and made the sack light up with a bright silver aura. She placed it on the ground and pulled it out with her mouth; a beautifully wrought necklace with an amulet shaped like a crescent moon hanging from its length. "Uhts bhuedifuh," she expressed, still clenching the chain between her teeth.

The singer could not help but laugh at that. "Hahaha. Yes, yes it is. I trust you will keep it safe for us?"

She nodded.

"Excellent! Then may it bring you luck and joy whenever you wear it. We were going to engrave it with the words to one of our songs but there simply wasn't room enough for that. So we etched a couple lines from your favorite into the back of it." He gave the filly one last hug, said his final goodbyes to Marigold and Cypress, and joined the others as they am their way to the train.

With their companions continuing on toward Canterlot, the little family made there way through the town alone. Strangers greeted them as they passed by, friendly faces surrounding them as they walked. Finally they came upon the building from the letter they had received from Cypress' brother. A tall, tan structure with a roof and shutters the color of old tree bark. A brown earth pony stood outside applying a new coat of paint to the front wall. He turned to them as he heard the cart roll up to his door and welcomed them to his home.

"So you decided to take me up on my offer after all! Well its great to finally see you all again." He patted the filly on the head. "I suppose you probably don't even remember me do you, Ash? You were just a sleepy little foal the last time I saw you, couldn't keep your eyes open for more than a few minutes at a time. I'm your uncle, Lance." He smiled at her, but then turned his attention to her parents.

They spoke for hours, talking about the journey, the south lands, and all the time that had passed since Lance had moved to Canterlot. He still went back every month, but the rest of his time was spent living here in Ponyville. He told them about the town: its shops, its landmarks, its inhabitants, the inevitable party that was to be thrown for their arrival. "I figured it'd just be simpler to tell her you lot were coming. She'd have found out on her own one way or another and just thrown a party for you herself... unannounced.... in my house..."

The rest of the day was spent getting the little family settled into their new home. Marigold and Cypress would share a room on the second floor, just above Lance's. Ash would have her own, albeit small, bedroom right down the hall from them. Tiny as it was, it would be the first time she ever had a space all to herself, and for that she couldn't have been more grateful.

She set to work arranging her meager possession around her new room. There was a book shelf full of her uncle's old books and scrolls, a desk with writing materials tucked neatly into its draws and an inkwell on top of it. Her bed was just below a small window which gave her a clear view of the moon making its ascension into the night sky. There was even dresser and a closet were there to hold all the clothing she did not have.

When she finally grew bored of exploring her new room she went down the hall, thanked her uncle, said goodnight to her parents, and laid her tired head to rest in her soft new bed. Tomorrow would be Saturday, and her uncle had promised to take her for a tour of the town. Her dreams that night were filled with the thoughts of all the friends she would surely make in this new town, and all the fun they would have together. She could hardly wait for the dawn to come.

* * * * *

"Lance, we cannot thank you enough for this, for all of it."

They made their way down another flight of stairs, the walls around them at this depth little more than hard-packed earth.

"Not at all. A little hospitality is the least I can do for my brethren from the south... Besides, the Elder would have my head if I did not show the utmost respect for those who have dedicated their lives to the Watch. Tell me, do they still use the term 'Minion' down south?"

Marigold had to laugh at that. She and here husband had not been referred to as such for well over a decade. "Its used, of course, but only for those in their first year or so of service. The rest of use prefer to be seen as Disciples."

They turned another corner and descended down one more flight of stone steps. No torches burned in this section, but their eyes were all perfectly attuned to the darkness.

"You were brave to make such a journey by yourselves. I've heard rumors that the roads are growing less and less safe these days."

"We had some fine company for most of the trip. In fact, they're the ones who brought this latest bit of information to our attention... And now to your's, by extension."

A wall opened in front of them, revealing a brightly lit circular room mans of pale sandstone. Shelves stacked high with ancient tomes a scrolls lined the walls. A limestone table sat in the middle surrounded by chairs carved from similar material. At it, stood a majestic, ancient sphinx, studying a scroll possibly as old as he she was. She looked up from it as the three ponies entered, gazing at them through slitted cat-like eyes the color of old amber.

"So you have arrived at last. Good, then things may proceed as scheduled. The time for the child's revealing approaches quickly. Preparations must be made... and it is essential that those who guard her be made ready for the work ahead." She paused, noting the look of disconcert on the faces of the two newcomers. "Something troubles you, my friends?"

Cypress stepped forward, carrying the crescent moon pendant in his mouth. He placed it on the table before her. She picked it up hesitantly in one paw, turning it over and examining each part with a critical eye. She paused only a moment as she came to the inscription on the back. " 'Feed the challenge, but even if I miss, I'll land among the stars.' ...Fitting enough I suppose, though I can assure you we do not intend to miss."

"Its not the inscription we thought would interest you, its the story behind the pendant itself. The pony who gave it to us spoke at great lengths of the enmity between the followers of Royal Sisters... And it would seem that, only a month or two ago, the younger sister reappeared... in this very town."

The sphinx smiled at that. "And naturally you think that this was our doing? Well, we can't really take full credit for it, I suppose, but yes... we played a part in her return. I trust a great deal of civil unrest will break out to the south as a result."

"Thats what we came to tell you, Elder. Fighting has already broken out in the ruins. The fury of the old city is slowly beginning to rekindle. I suspect we shall hear news of civil war erupting between the followers of the sun and the moon very, very soon. And from what the travelers said, the moon will likely take the first victories in the south."

"Excellent. Then our task is already running ahead of schedule. Now we can focus all of our present attention on the Child... She has grown quickly, the surface dwellers suspect nothing, I assume?"

"Nothing," answered all three of them together.

"Good. The time will come when her identity will be known far and wide, but until her training is complete and she is crowned and armed, it is essential that she stays protected. There must always be guardians to surround her... and on that note, I must thank you once again for making this journey."

"It is our honor and our duty," said Cypress.

"The Child's protection is our greatest concern," expressed Marigold.

"Excellent. Return to me any time you see fit. I will be watching and waiting, as always... Do stop by once in a while with news, I would greatly appreciate some company now and then."

And that was that. They made their way back up the stairs and out the hidden door in Lance's closet. They spoke of none of what had transpired once above ground again. They said their goodnights and went to bed, none entirely certain of what the next day would bring.

Author's Note:

I couldn't help myself, they had to be referenced at some point... If you don't understand what I'm talking about don't worry, it has no relevance in the story whatsoever. Its essentially just there to satisfy my own need for having bands that I love appear in my stories.

Anyway, there's this as well if you wanted to here the full song: Lunar Lament
My all time favorite band and the band who wrote the original Something Wicked Saga joined up to make this, so I couldn't not have it referenced in the story somewhere.