• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 306 Views, 2 Comments

Lost and Found - Silver Spirit



This story is involving Silver Spirit two years prior of meeting Cobalt Aqua in Shadow Aqua's story Life, Family, and Friends..

  • ...
 2
 306

Long Shift

“Weaver! Wake up you lazy plot.” The familiar voice called to the slumbering pegisi. He saw no reason as to listen to the mare as he thought he would bother her. He rolled over snuggling into his pillow more. “Weaver come on don’t you want to pass your test? You know to become a vanguard?” She called to him again expecting an answer, but wasn’t receiving one. She finally decided there was only one way to get him up, violently. She jumped and crash landed onto his bed, wrapped a hoof around his neck, picked him up, and placed her other hoof on the back of his head. He started making choking noises, and his eyes shot open. ‘Okay, probably not the best idea.’ He thought to himself. “You know it’s probably in your best interest not to make me angry.”

“I’ll take that into account sir.” He got out in a rather raspy, air deprived tone. She dropped him and let him have time to regain some air.
“Get ready Weaver. You’ve got twenty minutes.” She said stalely as she left the room. The now fully awoken Pegasus got up and walked over to a mirror to see if she had done anything to make him look worse than he probably already did. He looked at himself in the mirror to see that his teal colored mane hadn’t been messed up too bad. It was okay because he wore a snazzy black fedora. His deep blue eyes looked back at him in the mirror. His royal blue and cream colored coat shone in whatever morning daylight was outside glistening in his window.

“Well guess I better get ready.” He muttered to himself. He quickly ran over to where his cape and hat sat on the edge of the bed post. As he was putting them on he looked at his bed. It was all messy after she had woken you up on it. It was comfy but it just didn’t feel like his old bed back in the last two years of training he had taken. However that is all behind him now as he faces his first real mission. He didn’t fully catch what it was about, but he knew it was some sort of a legend about ponies that would disappear if they ever found and were able to get pictures of something ancient and cursed. It wasn’t quite coming to him. Celestia knows he’d probably hear it again. He put the last piece of his equipment on just in time too.

“Dreamweaver!” the mare called to him. He made his way over to the door. “If you don’t make your way over here now I’ll-“ he opened the door just at the right time so he wouldn’t know what horrors awaited if he didn’t. “Oh! Good you are ready.” The mare said. She still didn’t look very impressed with him.

“Yeah. I’m ready.” Was all he could come up with. He wasn’t much on his social skills. The only pony he could comfortably talk with wasn’t there, and he didn’t make the team of seven because of reasons that he didn’t want to accept, Wild and crazy reasons.

“Oh come on, you need to be more energetic than that.” Crystal said as they made their way to meet up with her squad. Yeah she is the leader and he’s staying at her house. It’s only temporary though. Even though he’s going to be part of the squad the test means he doesn’t get an official place to sleep yet. ‘Awkward yet worth it.’ Weaver thought to himself. His dream was going to come true. All they would have to do is disprove the rumor and he’d be one of them. So for the time being he thought he’d humor her. He smiled confidently.

“Yeah, your right. Today is going to be a great day.” She looked back at him rather surprised. She began to laugh.

“Wow, you actually took what I said seriously.” It was the first time Weaver can say that she actually smiled since they were put in the same squad.

“Well yeah. I mean it seems pretty straight forward.” He paused a second to fully point out everything. “I mean obviously the whole idea of ponies disappearing. It seems pretty obvious what happened.”

“Huh? What are you babbling about?”

“Well, where were these ponies last seen again?”

“They were last seen entering the forest.”

“Exactly. They probably heard about the legend, and wanted to debunk this story. So when they went in to look for it they got lost cause they were too focused on what they were doing. So once we find them-“

“There have been reports of those ponies ghosts actively seen around the town. So that ruins your theory.” She looked at him as though she were going to give him a hoof to the face. “I’ll tell you what though. I like your optimism, but maybe you should pay more attention to the reports and less time thinking that this is gonna be a walk in the park.” This sent chills running through Weaver’s spine. He never though one pony let alone a mare could scare him so much. ‘Wait did she compliment me and not hurt me?’ He was stunned. He stared curiously at the mare perplexed and frightened. “We’re here.” She stated and the descended to meet with the rest of the squad so they could begin their flight to Staliongrad. The squad consisted of five members other than Crystal and Weaver. The members consisted of a colt with a red wine colored body, violet colored eyes, and an amber and jet black colored mane; the next pony in line was a mare who has a snow white coat, sap green eyes, and jet black and banana colored mane; the one after her was a colt who has an amber coat, cobalt blue eyes, and light gray and forest green mane; the next was a mare, with which Weaver was familiar with, who has a russet red coat, icy blue eyes, and electric blue and ruby mane; and lastly in the line, a colt with a slate gray coat, amber colored eyes, and mint green and forest green mane; and of course the “fearless leader” as Weaver sarcastically put, Crystal Wing. Her coat seemed like silver that shimmered blue, her eyes were a bright crimson that seemed to glow, and her mane was a mix of an ice blue and the silvery color her coat was. Weaver took his place between his mare friend and the green haired colt. The mare shot him a quick grin as to make sure Crystal wouldn’t see and he did the same back. Crystal didn’t like to see relationships other than friendship form in a squad. However, Weaver likes to break her rules every once in a while, but only as long as they wouldn’t cause him pain in the end. As they stood at attention they were waiting for mission details from Crystal like they normally would. After about five minutes of her walking back and forth, Weaver guessed it was to prepare a speech of some sort, she asked, “Are we all prepared?”

“Yes Sir!” they all said in unison.

“Good, now, once we get there, since we don’t fully understand the nature of their legend, they will be waiting for us. They are going to make sure that we are welcomed there. Make sure you all remember your manners there, Weaver.” She shot daggers through him with her eyes. On the outside he made sure he wasn’t letting up anything. On the inside he was freaking out. She continued, “Anyway we are going to a foreign land with a foreign language and accents. So try to keep professional. Do you understand?”

“Yes sir!”

“Fall in formation everypony! It’s time.”

They began the long flight there. Weaver wasn’t a fan of long travel let alone long flight travel. His marefriend pulled up and gave him another smile.

“I can see your already bored.” She said rather energetically.

“Mist, if traveling wasn’t such a pain in the plot I’d share your enthusiasm.” Weaver said back to her.

“Well, that’s cold.” She made a sad face that Weaver couldn’t resist. He sighed, ‘I guess I gotta say something dorky, don’t I?’ he thought to himself. She waited for him to say something that was going to bring her spirits up a bit. He thought quickly because he was good at being dorky.

“Well, you know, I haven’t traveled with other ponies let alone friends, and you’re a good friend.” He felt so ridiculous saying it, but he got a giggle and a smile out of it as she did a loop. Crystal noticed but ignored it probably because she didn’t want any of them passing out.

Weaver didn’t know how long they were flying for, but he was beginning to tire. Celestia’s sun was reaching its highest point which suggested that it was most likely around twelve o’clock. Weaver looked over at Crystal and could instantly tell the effects of the long flight were taking its toll. Beside that however Weaver saw a red object just past where he was looking at Crystal. Weaver looked more carefully and saw that it was a Pegasus in a red uniform. He looked at the other side and there was another that was just like the other. Weaver looked back at Crystal to see if this was the welcoming comity. He saw something rather odd about her demeanour. She looked like she was kind of wobbly, but it wasn’t that which bothered him it was the fact she looked as though she were mumbling to herself. It was too far for him to hear and he wasn’t good at lip reading, but what he thought he caught was her saying was ‘I’m pathetic.’ and ‘he’ll never notice me this way.’ Weaver began getting concerned at what he thought she was saying. Before he could consider what he thought he was saying, knowing he was probably wrong anyways, he watched as a wobbly Crystal start to descend. However it was faster than the rest of the squad was going, and rather more so straight down. Weaver was first to act on noticing Crystal falling from the sky. The rest of the squad was either trying their best not to pass out, or saw and wasn’t sure what to do or they banked on Weaver being faster than they were. Whatever it was Weaver was too focused on what he was doing to save his squad leader, who was now passed out. He got closer… and closer till he was arm’s length away from being able to catch her. ‘Damn it!’ he thought to himself, ‘Only one option and I don’t like it.’ He realized his wings were creating drag which made him in able to go any faster than he was going. He tucked in his wings and stream lined his body. That seemed to do the trick. Not known to him however was how close to the ground he was, but he caught up and was able to catch her. At the point he caught her was also the point he realized how close to the ground they were. Without thinking he instantly flattened his body, spread his wings and flapped as hard as he could narrowly missing the tree line by a foot or two. He took a big sigh of relief. ‘That could have been ugly.’ He thought to himself. He scanned the sky to see if he could find the squad again. He finally caught them at the point where they were about to land. He flew toward the direction that they were headed. At this point he wasn’t worried about passing out, but he kept having something cross his mind, ‘What was she saying to herself?’ Before it crossed his mind again, and he arrived, he felt a sharp pain shoot through his back where his wings were. ‘Damn I should have known that would hurt at some point.’ He finally found where he was supposed to be, and landed in front of the rest of his squad mates as well as the welcoming comity. He tucked in his wings which sent another sharp pain throughout his back. He did his best not to show that anything was bothering him. He was greeted by Staliongrad’s commander.

“Welcome brother.” He said as he saluted to Weaver. Crystal was right however his accent was thick and had a heavy rasp to it. Weaver bowed because it was all he could do.

“I would salute back, but as you can see our sergeant decided to get herself into trouble.”
“Dah!” he lowered his hoof. “I am only going to be guessing, but did you not all have food before you flew here?” Weaver decided to lay Crystal down so he could have at least a semi-normal conversation with the commander.

“No sir. None of us did as a matter of fact.” He stated, one thing crossed his mind though. ‘Wait, why am I doing all the talking isn’t that Mist’s job?’

“I see well that can easily be fixed.” He said as he motioned to some ponies that were standing behind them, they open the gates, but nobody moved yet till the thick accented unicorn said so. “So before I can let you in I need to know your names so we don’t have to call each other by colors, yeah?” Each of the unicorns took their place in a formation which went from lowest to highest rank starting with Weaver going to Mist. Each then began naming themselves and their rank. They were saluting as they started. What surprised Weaver though was that Mist started.

“My name is Mist Fire. I am a guardspony sir and right hoof to Crystal.” Next was the mare with the sap green eyes.

“My name is Cloud Twirl.” She stated. “I am just a recruit at this point sir.” Next was the colt with the violet colored eyes.

“My name is Thunder Flicker.” He said, “I am also a recruit sir.”

“My name is Thunder Fire,” Said the colt with cobalt blue eyes, “I am another recruit as well sir.”

“My name is Cloud Runner.” The colt with the amber colored eyes said, “I am a recruit sir.”

“My name is Dreamweaver sir.” He said. “I am also a recruit, however I get the feeling you want to know our sergeant as well.”

“Dah. That would be nice.” The commander said as he looked at the downed pegasi. Weaver looked around to see if anyone was willing to volunteer. He looked back at the commander to see he was look directly at him. Weaver sighed, and the commander laughed. “I get the feeling you are not much to public speaking. Am I right comrade?” He couldn’t have hit the nail harder on the head. Weaver kept composed though and decided he thought he’d introduce her.

“This is Crystal Wing, and she is our sergeant.” How he wished he could have said worse about her, but he couldn’t muster it after her little incident that he witness. He was more concerned about her well-being at this point.

“Very well.” The commander said as he motioned toward the ponies behind him again. “We’ll make sure she’s taken care of.” The foreign ponies picked her up and carried her into a building. “For now though you are all probably hungry, Dah?” Weaver looked over at the rest of the squad and they all nodded their heads.

“Well… as long as it isn’t too much trouble sure we would gladly like something to eat sir.”

“Very good!” he motioned at the squad to follow him. “Come with me then. You can tell me what happened along the way then Dreamweaver.” Weaver had never heard his name with such an accent it bothered him a little. He trotted up beside the commander so he could converse with him about what had happened to Crystal.

“Sir, can I request that you call me Weaver?” The commander looked at him and laughed.

“I guess that’s what they call you for short, don’t they?”

“No it’s not that I’m just more comfortable with it sir.” Weaver was looking around at the town getting a feel for what it was like there as he was talking to the commander. From the ponies that he did see outside they weren’t happy, and they seemed to be shooting dirty looks toward the groups’ general direction. Weaver was explaining, but he couldn’t hear himself. He was too focused on the town ponies. Weaver didn’t quite understand what was going on but before he knew it he was already finished telling what had happened. He looked back at the commander and hoped he didn’t say anything stupid. The commander didn’t say anything back almost as if he were expecting more. “That’s it sir.” Weaver said. The commander looked at him.

“I see… did you take any injuries from this maneuver?” Weaver had completely forgotten he had strained something in his back. The pain instantly shot threw him again at the remembrance of it. He kept walking though so the commander wouldn’t notice. However he noticed. “I can see that it is still affecting you.” He said this made Weaver flinch. “Do you need to have it looked at?” Weaver shrugged it off.

“Trust me commander I’ve been through worse pain.” He was lying, but only because he didn’t want to be deemed unfit to complete the mission. Therefore he wouldn’t become a guard, if he was found out. The commander looked at him as though he knew it weren’t true, but he surprised Weaver and said,

“If you are so sure comrade, then I trust you.” Weaver was finally able to relax at those words, yet he still felt uneasy. Before he knew it he heard a bell and looked up to see the commander opening the door to a small looking café for them. Weaver was surprised.

“Th-thank you sir.” Weaver said as he entered. He went to go take his hat off, but realized he lost it saving Crystal. They each sat in a chair at a round table. Weaver stayed focused on what he wanted for food until he ordered. Once he did order he sat there in his chair and began thinking. Trying to ease his mind of what had occurred. He thought about everything that happened trying to think of a possible explanation as to why she would have passed out so suddenly. He was so lost he didn’t even notice his food arrive. He never even looked at it, touch it or bite it. ‘Something’s not right and it’s not what’s just on her mind.’ He thought to himself, ‘That and the people here seemed to not enjoy the company of their guards around town. Something’s up and we need to find out before they decide they want to do something that we probably aren’t going to like.’ “So commander.” Weaver finally spoke, but he still didn’t touch his food. The large pony glanced over acknowledging he heard. “I know that I’m probably gonna be a little out of line for asking this, but I need to know.” ‘Man Crystal is gonna rip my head off later.’ “You summoned us here in order to help with a problem that involves a certain legend, but why?” everypony at the table looked strangely at him.

“Don’t worry it seems like a good question.” He said.

“I don’t think you understood the question sir. I’m asking why you need help when you’ve got your own guards and equipment. Everypony looked at him stunned.

“Weaver!” Mist shouted at him trying to keep him in line, but the commander motioned to her to calm herself. He sighed as well, but instantly regained his composure.

“Would you like to enlighten us as to why we need you?” Weaver had to think about that. He took some time looking through there motions, and demeanor. He thought about it carefully remember there formations and how they walked in. There was no form what so ever. There could only be two options as to why there was no form. So he did what he normally did, took a stab at it.

“Well this is only just a guess, but I’m going to say that you have formal training.” Nobody responded to the blatant accusation. “If that’s not it then judging by the people around town you are just a bunch of normal everyday ponies that do this just for fun.” Mist instantly shot to her hooves, and was about to object yet again, but just like last time she was stopped by the thick accented pony. She sat down looking at him and he sighed. He wasn’t angry more than he was relieved, and almost happy.

“Impressive, young pony.” The rest of the squad was shocked to hear those words come out of his mouth. “What gave us away?”

“There was no format to how you do things and you don’t take anything seriously.” He smiled and shrugged.

“That’s why we called you over.” Weaver thought, ‘thank Celestia I got that out of the way. I never would have gotten that out of the way with Crystal around.’ He then heard a couple of hoof steps from behind him. The part that scared him, he didn’t hear the door open. He turned in time to see Crystal face about a foot away from his, but she wasn’t angry.

“I see.” She said. “Anyway we would like to hear this legend. As long as my recruit didn’t offend you.” She gave Weaver a look, but still wasn’t mad at him. She almost looked apologetic. ‘Does she know I saved her?’ he thought to himself.

“Gladly.” He said. “I owe you that much.” He took a long moment to finish off his drink. Then he began by asking a question. “Have you heard of cursed ponies?” They all nodded their heads except for Weaver he stayed dead silent. There was something about the name the pony just gave. It irked him. “Unhappiness isn't something unheard of in Equestria,” he continued as though Weaver didn’t understand. “it takes a different form after the unhappiness is forgot...” He paused for a moment to take another drink. “A form forbidden from Celestia's Sun and follow the Black Sun to became real unhappiness of ponies that have been forgotten. They believe they are the real version of that pony and seek to permanent replace them, generally by death. They aren't just formed of little tid-bits of things,” he started to motion with his hooves as he spoke, ”they be formed from something that they focus on for years and use that to drive them forward, but they tend to act only using the negative emotions.” He paused again to take another drink. “That’s what they drive off of, and that’s the other reason why we need your help.” The squad looked around at each other. Silenced the only response came from Crystal.

“So were dealing with those ‘things’?” she said almost over exaggerating the word. Weaver noticed that she started scheming. “Alright thank you commander you are excused.” He nodded and trotted away so the seven pegasi could strategize. Several ideas were bounced off of how they should maintain watch. Weaver took no part in this cause he wasn’t much for strategy. Weaver just kept to himself. ‘What is it about the cursed that is rubbing me the wrong way?’ he thought to himself. Before he could finish that thought he was getting poked by Mist. He looked towards her direction, but wasn’t very focused. She whispered to him,

“They asked you for an opinion.” This woke him from his daze. When he looked around he saw the rest of the squad was staring at him. He thought quickly, but he thought it was stupid and filliish.

“Why don’t we take shifts throughout the night? You know, like, how fillies do it.” However rather than laughing at it they took it to heart. What frightened him more was it was the most popular idea. Not even five minutes after he suggested it they were already deciding who was going to take what shift. Weaver thought it was just a night thing but apparently he was wrong. At this point it was starting to become a big waste of time for him. Mist began poking him again, but out of sight of Crystal so he thought listening was a good idea. She made sure to whisper and at that point Weaver knew what it was for.

“Hey after this mission, you know, when you get guard status, you wanna celebrate that?” Weaver nodded which caught Crystal’s attention. ‘Oh crap’ he thought to himself this could be. ‘Keep calm. Whatever you do keep calm.’ He was telling himself.

“Weaver,” Crystal looked at him, “would you like to enlighten us as to what you two are conversing about over there?”

“Nothing worth bringing up over this session.” Weaver replied to Crystal.

“Interesting.” She said and then she looked over at Mist. “And what about you Mist?” Weaver looked at her as though he was trying to psychically communicate with her, ‘Don’t say anything stupid.’

“I was wondering if Weaver and I could volunteer for first shift?” All Weaver could do was facehoof. Crystal however didn’t look angry at all as much as she was surprised.

“All right, but only on one occasion,” Crystal took a second to consider the thought. “only if I can accompany the two of you, okay?” She seemed rather flustered about asking that. Weaver and Mist looked at each other. Weaver thought he had dodged a run-away train, but before he could celebrate though Mist surprised him yet again.

“Sure Crystal, I don’t mind.” Weaver froze with fear. ‘Crap it’s gonna be a long shift.’

Author's Note:

This is From Dreamweaver's kind of third person

The bulk of the proof reading goes to Shadow Aqua (Cause of the plans we have Muhaha)
rest of the proof reading Kalreas

Weaver and all the squad except for Crystal belong to me (c)

Crystal belongs to Shadow Aqua (c)