• Published 5th Jan 2013
  • 626 Views, 7 Comments

Rebirth Through the Planar Divide - Gabriel Arkanym



A Magic the Gathering Equestrian Tale

  • ...
1
 7
 626

Party, Magic, Elements

After the Pets had had their fill of play. Twilight and I said goodbye to the others and walked towards her library. Owlowiscious and Glacial scurrying and flapping alone behind.

"Why did you decide to move to Ponyvilel, Gabriel?" Twilight, as always, was very curious.

I had known these questions would be asked, but I really hadn't thought out how to answer them. It wouldn't make a very good first impression to lie to them, because they would find out the truth eventually. But gods only know how they'll react to the news i'm an immortal with the potential to topple entire civilizations. Perhaps i'll just try explaining what I can without truly revealing anything!

"I'm actually recently discovered a few, interesting things about my family's past. I wanted to learn more about what I discovered, so I decided to wander the world for a while." Twilight gave me and odd look as I continued. Good thing Apple Jack wasn't there to call me out on any of this. "In the short time I've been traveling I learned some of what I needed to. But the rest can only be discovered through research and hard work. So I decided to settle down, and from the stories I've heard there isn't anywhere more interesting than Ponyville, miss Element of Magic."

Twilight seemed slightly taken aback by my answer, as if it only raised more questions for her. To be fair, it was a very vague answer.

"Please just call me Twilight, that title is far to0 formal for anything I deserve."

"Please call me Nym then, it's what all my friends call me." I smiled. "Don't talk down about yourself Twilight. You are the Element of Magic. Whether or not you asked for the honor, You were the only pony in all of Equestria that it would answer to. If that doesn't make you special then tell me, Twilight, what will?" She blushed furiously and turned her head away, searching for some new topic of conversation. Her eyes alighted upon a family walking past with their young foals.

"What about your family, surely they'll miss you." I flinched internally at her unintentional jab. She was right of course. I would eventually have to tell them about my new powers. Now that's not going to be a fun conversation.

"They'll be coming for a visit once I get settled in here." Why did I say that? … Maybe I should bring them to visit. Probably the most straight forward way to introduce them anyway. That particular visit would have to wait until everyone here knew the truth about me, if they accepted it anyway.

"That'll be nice." She seemed to have something else on her mind, again. "But what did you find that made you leave in the first place?"

"Ancient Magics that my ancestors used for both great destruction and unmatched kindness." Het eyes practically shone with interest, and she came close to skipping down the road.

"Can you teach me some of them? I've never heard of any hidden magic outside of the Canterlot Archives."

"I promise you that not even Starswirl the bearded knew of this magic." Twilight almost squealed with glee and anticipation. I couldn't help but laugh a little at her obvious joy. If I gave them access to the Multiverse's magic they could defend themselves against any who came here with evil intent. I knew there would come a point where I couldn't protect them, and they needed to be ready. Twilight was perhaps the best place to begin.

"I was planning on spreading this across the land anyway. Though this magic also has potential for great evil. Some even have the capability to do wrongs greater than those planned by Nightmare Moon and Discord." Twilight seemed shocked by this. If only you knew Twilight, Discord was a mere child before someone like Nicol Bolas.

"Well, here we are." I looked up and to the right, t the huge tree standing by the roadside and flanked by more typical examples of architecture. The idea behind the library was fairly simple, but I was still impressed they had managed to keep the tree alive through all of it.

Twilight opened the door, and I followed quickly behind her. Though it did seem far darker than it should have.…3… 2… 1… cue the party.

"Surprise!" A multi voiced shout rocked through the building. Twilight gasped, and took a few steps back almost bumping into me. I barely flinched. Typical Pinkie behavior I assumed.

I managed to keep my smile and outward look of calm, as my vision suddenly went pink, and a pare of blue unblinking eyes bored into my own.

"Hi there you silly pony! This is your welcome to Ponyville party I throw one for all the new ponies whether they happen to be ponies or not I know you'll find something you like here theres all kinds of food even some I barely remember baking maybe those were from a few days ago my memory doesn't exactly last sometimes but I'm sure they're still delicious treats." She stopped to draw a deep breath before continuing. "I hope we can all be friends since you just met the rest of my friends I know you must like them and thus you have to like me too but not in a like like way of course but hey Twilight here's available if you're interested say hi Twilight I gotta go deal with the decorations bye!"

Though to this day I'm still not sure exactly what occurred, I was apparently hugging Twilight when Pinkie disappeared.

"What trust happened?" I slowly disengaged myself from her forelegs and she from mine.

"Thats just Pinkie being Pinkie, please don't take anything she causes personal."

"Yeah, alright then. If you're sure." She nodded, and trotted off after Pinkie Pie.

Soon I heard her yelling in earnest from the other side of the party.

"Pinkie! Don't you dare, I said no-" Twilight was cut off as a blast rocked through the room, causing a few books to tumble off the shelves. I closed my eyes reflexively, opening them immediately to a room fully lit and covered in gallons and party streamers. Pinkie sat smiling down at an irate Twilight from on top of a large cannon. "-using the cannon in the library." she finished lamely with a sigh.

"Lets get this party started hit it Dj Pon-3!" Pinkie completely ignored Twilight, and all the ponies began to dance to the music. Looking to my right I noticed a Dj station complete with bass and Dj which hadn't been there a few seconds before. Damn, that party cannon really wasn't a joke.

Rainbow, Rarity, Applejack , and Fluttershy all arrived within minutes of each other. Obviously they had known about the party all along, same as every pony else. I found myself baffled by how pinkie had alerted them.

There would be time to study Pinkie later though, for now, there was a party.

And I wasn't one to let a party go to waste.

OoOOoOOOoOOoQ

I awoke in a room smaller than a college dorm, on one of the most comfortable beds I'd ever had the pleasure of inhabiting. I felt woozy and a little sick, but I didn't have a hangover. I never drink. My family had a history of alcoholism after all… But that isn't my blood family, so where does that leave me?

Slowly I rolled off the bed, and opened the door to the main library. A clock hanging on one of the walls let me know it was well past breakfast, coming close to lunch actually.

"Morning, Gabriel." Twilight looked up from a book as I walked out. "Sorry about not waking you for breakfast, you seemed to really need the sleep."

"It was a good party. I never knew what was going to happen next, especially with Pinkie at the wheel." I chuckled a little, before my stomach begin to growl.

"Don't worry I've already got a luncheon set up with the girls at the cafe. You would be welcome to join us if you'd like."

"It would be my pleasure."

"Great, I'm supposed to meet them in half an hour." She suddenly raised an inquisitive eyebrow. "Would you mind giving me a crash course in your magic while we wait?"

I didn't have anything else to do really, and it would certainly be interesting to see what they thought of it.

"I don't see why not." I barely managed to get it out over Twilights squeal of delight. The Library suddenly became a storm as books flew from every corner and rearranged themselves. A desk floated down in front of her, quickly followed by quill, ink, and a journal. As she got settled, I couldn't help by laugh.

"There won't be any spells today Twilight. You need to understand the ground before you build upon it." She seemed rather disappointed, But overcame it as she finally realized what I had said. It was a completely different form of magic to her own.

From what I had witnessed, pony magic seemed to draw its power from deep underground. Potentially taking it straight from the planets core, I'd have to look into the long term effects of that theory sometime soon. Twilight picked up her quill as I began to speak.

"There are five colors to this magic. White Is the color of peace. Many goodnesses stem from its control and blessings, such as the sun, moon, and stars themselves. It is the light bringer and banisher of evil. The eternal embodiment of order in all things, no matter how small. Though its power is dictated by the users mind, if one truly believes something to be evil they can erase it from existence with the right power. Yet though it may be evil to them, It could very well be angelic and benevolent in nature, like the Princesses."

"Green embodies all aspects of nature and life itself. With green you can speak with the creatures and very trees themselves as you see fit. You can call them to your aid or even create them with the right knowledge. Calling upon nature you can increase your inner strength and those of your companions to absurd proportions. Most importantly, using this power will give you the ability to heal any wound, no matter how severe. Note that healing the wound doesn't necessarily mean they will survive, just that the body will be whole."

"Blue comes from the mind of the wielder. With it you can organize and control your own mind in whatever way you may desire. It also provides the user access to the water and air as a means of defense and attack. More unstable beings will manipulate the minds of others around them, changing opinions or wiping them clean as they see fit. While this is always a danger, once blue has been properly mastered there will no longer be a single mental illness which can't be cured."

"Red is chaos incarnate and scuffs at all rules and laws laid before it. Fire is the main staple of the color, coming in many forms for many purposes. Those focused on red will ultimately prefer speed and power to thoughts and planning, unwilling or unable to concentrate for very long. Alone it will burn up the mage who wields it, but when combined with other colors it becomes a truly terrifying method of destruction. The rare mind will find ways to use it for means other than rampaging, but they will be few and far between."

"Then theres Black. Black has a duality of sorts, as though death couldn't decide whether it was evil or not. When one uses black magic they will find themselves drawn to it and feel it is much easier to use it than any other. In black one finds decay, insanity, greed, and blood. Yet one also discovers too things amidst the terror. Kindness can only exist if there is an opposite for it to be compared. And laughter's roots can always be found in another's pain. Thus though black may seem the least useful and most dangerous, it is as necessary as all the others."

"Different areas of the world each produce this magic in a form of what is called mana. The colors generated depend on what shape the land takes, and any historical events which occurred there. This mana can then be pulled from these sources and use by the mage to fuel their spells. Put simply you will find that forests produce green, plains make white, mountains provide red, water sources create blue, and swamps emit black. Canterlot Likely produces a mixture of all the colors because of the two Princesses and all the residents."

"Alone all of the colors have their weaknesses, you must strike a balance which suits you, and find friends to fill in where you cannot, or else you will be vulnerable. It is possible to gain full control over all the colors, but many millennia of research are required. You cannot simply have the information thrust into your mind, such would kill you."

I only survived having all that information begin thrust into my mind because it had come from the exact same brain.

"Any questions?"

Twilight finished writing and stared at the page, quill twitching impatiently. She blinked as she read over the last line again, realizing it was a question. She looked up sheepishly.

"Sorry I can get really enthralled in this sort of stuff." I chuckled. I almost never do that but something about these ponies keeps bringing them out.

"Its fine Twilight. We need to get going soon anyway."

"All right, just let me get some bits." She levitated a small bag over and strung it around her neck. The she sighed as she looked at the paper. "Theres so many questions brewing in my mind Gabriel. I don't even know where to begin."

I answered her as we walked out the door.

"Spend a few days thinking it over, I may need to make a quick trip to the bank in Canterlot, having no bots is always a problem after all."

"Let me pay for your lunch then, its the least I can do if this magic actually works." I smiled lightly and pointed at a nearby flower.

"Watch that flower and I'll prove to you this magic is real." I let out a quick burst of green mana, and directed the flowers growth. It quickly reached the thickness of a fence post, and the flower grew to rival an umbrella. It was turned down towards the street from a few feet above head height. A single dollop of white and red magic in its center set it aglow. A new self sustaining street lamp for the town. "Those are some of the simplest of the spells, requiring almost no power and limited knowledge to accomplish."

Twilight was speechless for the rest of the trip to the cafe.

OoOOoOOOoOOoQ

We all sat around a table outside, enjoying the overcast but warm day, courtesy of Rainbow Dash.

Most of them reacted to my story in the same way Twilight had, expressing disbelief until an apples sprouted out of the table's center, and I showed them it had now grown roots. While not one of my specialties Nature magic was one of the best ways of demonstrating it to them.

This occurred just as our food arrived and nearly gave the waiter a heart attack. Luckily Twilight caught all our dishes telekinetically and passed them around. I had decided to try a daisy sandwich.

A shockwave of mana rippled through the air. I filched visibly and looked around for the source. Fluttershy was glancing around as well, though in a more discrete manner, none of the others seems to have noticed it.

A flock of birds flew overhead, heading out of the Everfree forest, they looked panicked. Probably some raccoons invading their nests in search of eggs. But then a rush of other animals scurried past on the ground, apparently frightened for their lives. They were accompanied by a few manticores fleeing right along with them. What could possibly have scared a manticore this badly?

The daisy sandwich dropped from my hooves as a shadow suddenly fell over the whole of Ponyville. A screeching roar rent the air asunder with completely unrestrained fury.

"What the buck is that?!" Rainbow Dash barely waited for an answer barreling off to distract the monster amidst the Everfree forest.

Shadowy flames licked across its shoulders and arms as it took a terrifying step towards the town. A great gem glowed with unfathomable power from within its maw as it unleashed another roar. The thing was quadrupedal, but otherwise seemingly a shapeless mass of black and red mana, pulling all available sources towards itself. Fire crackled from its mouth as a stream of flaming decay engulfed the surrounding forest.

There was only one thing it could be. An elemental.

With the nature of Equestria, some of the mana would be used in spells without any of their knowledge, but rarely if ever did black and red mana see use here. The mana had built up upon itself over time, eventually coalescing into the thing now threatening Ponyville.

I glanced over at Twilight and spike to see a letter already buying in the little dragon's flame. The Princesses would be there soon to help, and they'd bring the elements of harmony with them. Until then there was no chance of holding back that creature.

At least none of them should be able to stop it… but I might.

"Girls I need you to listen to me!" They all stopped whatever they were doing and looked at me in surprise, as if they had expected me to have run off already. "Don't ask me how, theres no time for that, but I believe I can hold it at bay for now. You girls need to evacuate the town. Go, there isn't much time." 3 of them sped off, Fluttershy hesitating slightly before joining them.

Twlight Stayed a few moments longer. "When this is over you have a lot of questions to answer Nym." I chuckled.

"More than you yet know Twilight." Spells started ripping through my head. I unconsciously executed them as soon was the mana became available, not bothering to sort through them, I needed all the protection and powers I could get.

Water from a nearby fountain rippled and pulsed before jumping onto my back. It flowed into two pools which condensed into wings of ice.

The air around me shimmered every conceivable color as magical barriers erupted around me.

My body grew to over twice its previous size, putting me on par with Celestia herself.

Crystals grew upwards, erupting out of the ground in constant streams and entwining themselves around me. Some extended from my hooves, bladed and sharp.

Twilight gasped at the sight before her. The pony she had thought to have figured out at last was gone. In his place stood one of the most imposing and powerful figures she had ever seen. Only Celestia and Luna had enough power to compare to him. I glanced at Twilight from the corner of my eye, my message obvious. She turned and sprinted to help in the evacuation, forgetting she could teleport in her shocked state.

Quickly I gathered all the remaining mana I could for later use, and with the sudden rush of strength leaped into the air to save Rainbow Dash, and confront the beast. It would take days for that mana to replenish, and probably not do any favors to the land itself. But it would be better than whatever this thing intended.

At any other time I would probably have felt ecstatic to feel the wind through my mane. But there wasn't time for such thoughts at the moment.

I teleported in front of Rainbow as she streaked her way onward. Grabbing her in a telekinetic embrace she was unable to escape.

"Whats the big idea you bucking…" She looked at me and seemed even more surprised than by what she had been trying to attack. I suppose I couldn't blame her really.

"Dash listen to me, its Nym." Her eyes tried to widen in further surprise and found they could not, giving her a weird stressed out grimace. "Twilight and the others need your help clearing the town. I'll hold him as long as I can, but you need to get all those ponies out of harms way."

"No way, I"m not letting you face that thing alone. I'm the damned Element of Loyalty if you haven't forgotten!" Her indignation shown strongly through.

"You can't help me here Dash, one touch from that thing and you would die. It is chaos, fire, death, and evil incarnate. There is no more dangerous being in Equestria." She seemed to be finally showing some doubt. "You're the Element of Loyalty Dash. If we lose you before we can use it, then we won't be able to stop this thing!" She finally understood, but still wanted to help. "Now I don't care what the weather says for the day, I need all these clouds cleared asap!"

Suddenly Dash grinned. "I'll have it done in ten seconds flat!" Sure enough ten seconds, and about seven consecutive breakings of the sound barrier later judging by the number of sonic Rainbooms in the sky, she was back in a now sunny Ponyville helping evacuate.

The creature cleared the forest at that moment. one of its legs stepping on Fluttershy's house.

As if that one action of destruction had only fed its hunger and power, it nearly doubled in size, now towering well over 1200 feet (370 meters) in the air.

"Oh, you did not just do that!" There was no pony less deserving of that than innocent little Fluttershy.

I confronted it before it had taken another step.

I let myself go, allowing the essences of my magic to erupt forward. A shimmering image of myself formed around me, half the size of the creature before me. Within seconds I had formed it into a near-solid form of pure Holy and Mind magic.

The size was concerning. This beast had mana available from months, if not years of forgotten power.

It stopped in its path, looking over the new threat before it. Then with a smear it leapt forward with flame licking towards my mana avatar. The fire parted as I sent a gust of wind at it.

I ducked under, and bucked upwards, catching it on what any normal creature would have classified as a chest. The beast screeched in rage as it arched through the air back into the Everfree.

A resounding thud echoed across the land like a thunderclap as landed, crushing, and setting aflame trees in its wake.

I leapt amidst the trees, rays of light and shards of ice streaking along beside me as I attacked.

Author's Note:

Remember Gabriel isn't a brony, he simply got a summary on Equestria and its resent history, he wouldn't know everything about Ponyville.

Disclaimer: I OWN NOTHING --- MLP is owned by hasbro, MTG is owned by Wizards, and any other universes belong to their respective creators or patent holders or Gods or whatever.