• Published 2nd Jan 2013
  • 1,393 Views, 15 Comments

A Changeling in Ponyville - vexinkora



A changeling comes to Ponyville to be free.

  • ...
0
 15
 1,393

Chapter 1

The Hive- a dark, silent place. It is my home, it is my prison. I am a changeling, I can be many things but ultimately I am nothing. Here there are only two types of changelings, minions; those who serve under the Queen. The second type is the Queen; Queen Chrysalis, a tyrannical leader who only does what benefits herself. I am minion, we exist only to do what the Queen demands of us. We breathe, build, reproduce, sleep and start over in an endless cycle. I am special though, because unlike other minions, I have a will; I can think for myself instead of the Queen thinking for me. This doesn’t matter though, for there is no purpose to my will, I'm still stuck serving the Queen.

I find a few seconds in between expanding the hive, this is what we do if we're not lucky enough to go on field missions, and close my eyes. Instantly I remember something special to my heart. It was the last mission I was on, there was a castle with a forcefield around it and these strange creatures, I think the Queen called them “ponies” inside. I think about what it would be like to be one of those strange creatures. To be able to frolic about in the sun and do what I would like to do instead of living in this dark haze where if your not one of the many, your one of the many more buried in the ground.

My daydream is cut short when I hear a series of clicks and hisses behind me. It's another minion telling me to get back to work. I would apologize but then I would be in even more trouble for unnecessary conversation. I just pick up a rock and place it in the soon to be wall. I can't even get made at him, he is just like me; a purposeless minion just doing their job. As I go about my day I keep playing the same scene in my head, the day of the mission, every time I smacked into the forcefield I would glimpse more and more into the lives of “ponies”. Some were playing, some were eating that weird food and talking in their strange language. Although I never understood their lifestyles I want nothing more than to be them.

Finally, the work day is done and the Queen signals us to go off to sleep and let the next group take over until tomorrow. Any other day I would have headed back to my room to sleep but not tonight. I have taken as much as I can and now I'm ready to be free. I go with my group down the bedroom corridors but I pass my room and keep going. The other Changelings are so mindless they don't even notice. I sneak around a corner, down another corridor, and turn again. There it is, the only window on this side of the Hive. The Queen sees no purpose for us to have windows as it is not productive to the Hive. The only reason this window exist is so the Queen can look out of it when she is roaming these corridors. I have never seen out of it personally for this corridor is off limits to anyone but the Queen. I slowly walk towards it, my eyes scanning the dark, desolate hall to make sure no one is around. I hear others moving in a single file line, they are the next workers who are about to spend the next half a day slaving for the Queen. They are too far away to see me though as long as I don't make any noise I'll be able to sneak out. I get closer and closer to the window, each step making my heart race more and more. I'm starting to worry that the whole Hive will hear my heart beat and catch me. After what feels like eternity I make it to the window. I stretch out my wings and throw myself out the window.

I descend towards the ground and ran to the nearest shadow. This was the hardest pert of the journey, the Queen keeps track of the changelings and when one goes missing she would notice. It will only be a matter of time before the rest of them hunt me down. I round the corner and sneak by the area the minions were working. I quickly jump in line and move rocks toward the would be wall. When I reach the far end I drop the rock and begin to bolt to the tall grass field that hadn't been cleared out yet. I duck down as low as I could, hoping the wind would cover my movements. Halfway through the grass I heard it; the Queen signaling her troops to hunt. I stop moving and lay on my stomach. I clench my eyes shut not daring to make any moves for fear of being caught. I hear them moving about the Hive, the search had become frantic. I slowly crawl on my belly, the cool grass felt nice on my stomach. If I was going to die I am glad this would be the last thing I felt. I look up to see the minions flying over me. I couldn't hear them over the wind, the thought that they could be so close without me noticing shook me to my core. I keep crawling and looking towards my new life, in this moment it was all I had.

After what seems like hours crawling I finally reach the edge of the grass where a very deep forest was. We have never been in this forest but eventually the Hive would extend here. I was scared of what this forest would hold. I've heard strange noises coming from this forest at all hours of the day. The trees would provide me with cover from the other changelings though, and given how many had passed me I would bet the whole Hive is up and searching. Reluctantly I entered the deep, dark forest.

The forest was fairly quiet, the only noise coming from a few small creatures. Some were little furry animals with wings and fangs, others were like birds with weirdly shaped heads and made cooing sounds. What a wonderous place I found. Even though it as dark and scary I couldn't help but to roam around eager to learn more. I found other types of small animals that I had never dreamed existed. I knew the changelings wouldn't be here for they hating unexplored territory like this. I let myself breathe a sigh of relief as each discovery had momentarily washed away my worries. Suddenly I was overcome with fatigue. I had put in a full day of work with no rest and the stress of escaping had broken me. I dread the thought of being vulnerable in a place like this but each step made my legs wobble until I finally collapsed and couldn't take anymore. I let my eyes shut in what may be the final time.

I awoke to the sunlight streaming through the trees. I-I was still alive? I look around to see the forest. It was like a whole new world in the day. I saw furry creatures with floppy ears hopping along the ground, heard the chirping of the birds (I knew of birds for every once in a while they would fly over the Hive on occasion.). This wasn't the scary place I entered last night, this was a happy fun place that I never knew laid beyond the Hive. I felt myself smiling as I trotted forward absorbing as much as this piece as I could.

I walk past a few trees and saw a cave, it was too dark inside to see but I could hear something inside. My heart sank into my stomach as I came to the entrance of it. It couldn't be that bad. I assured myself, after all I had spent the entire night here and all the creatures had been peaceful so far. I quickly cursed myself for speaking to soon as a giant pair of red eyes gazed at me from the entrance. The creature pounced. I had barely enough time to jump out of the way. Turning around I caught a glimpse of it, it had brownish fur, dark brown hair that flowed came all the way around the neck, and two giant wings. It came at me again; I managed to avoid it clawed paw as it swung. I took off running to get as far away as possible. I spot a small hole in the ground a few yards from me, now I only had to reach it. The beast was fast as I could feel his breath on my backside. I willed myself to go faster, almost there, just a little more. I jump toward the hole and quickly change into a worm as I dove in. Under the ground I felt safe, that was the good thing about being a changeling, you always had options. My body felt weird as it always did during a change, it was like a slight tingling and of course it took a while to get use to how my new body functions. There was a slight ache where my bones had turned to muscle and my legs and wings fused with my body. I wait until the fierce beast was gone.

I wiggle out of the hole and change back into my original form. It always felt weird to change even when it's changing back. I took a moment to catch my breathe. I never expected this kind of dangers the world held. I was safe but if I don't get out of here soon I wouldn't be. I found a clearing just wide enough, released my wings and took to the skies carefully eyeing any threats from the air. After flying for a while, I finally found where the forest ended.

I land on a hill just outside of a small town. There were ponies everywhere I look. I am amazed by how many different colors and shapes they came in. Some ponies were working, some were playing and some were just taking. I took a deep breathe as a smile crossed my face. This was freedom, the one thing in life I was looking for was right before my eyes.

I couldn't go like this so I dug down deep for another transformation. My first change was a pony with wings but no horn, She had a red coat and fiery blue hair. The second transformation was a pony with a horn but no wings, she had a white coat with white and black hair. I decide to settle for a pony without a horn or wings and had a turquoise coat with long flowing black hair. Now that my new ponysona was made I trot down the hill and towards my new life.