• Published 28th Dec 2012
  • 1,311 Views, 15 Comments

Discord's Final Wish - BaleonRosen



Discord's boredom finally gets to him, so he searches for a way to make people remember him eternally.

  • ...
8
 15
 1,311

"I just want to read in peace..."

“Alright,” said Creon, smiling triumphantly, “now that we have done that we can start studying Equestria’s history.”

Titian stared at the flaming mountain in front of her in horror. She turned to Creon in shock.
“What have you done?” she cried, pointing at the flames, “We are in a library!”
Creon looked unfazed as he doused the pile.

“So?” he shrugged, lifting one of the scorched books from the pile and examining it.
Unsatisfied with the level of destruction, he crushed the book under his hoof, turning it to ash.
“I told you I was going to burn them.”
Titian put a hoof to her face and sighed.
“I didn’t think you were serious. Didn’t you say that was most of the books they had?”
“I said nothing of the sort.”
“You can’t just burn everything that makes you uncomfortable!” she exclaimed.
“Why not? It’s worked so far?”

Titian sighed angrily and shook her head. She flew into the air and went to the librarian, and explained the situation. Creon watched her as he crushed each book underhoof. It took several minutes of apologizing, and what Creon believed to be a bag of bits, but the librarian finally calmed down and Titian returned to Creon’s side, along with a large stack of books.

“You sure do know how to cause chaos,” she muttered, opening one of the books she had brought back.
Told you so.
Creon shrugged and used his magic to send the ashes and charred books out the nearest window.
“That could land on someone you know,” scolded Titian.
“Yeah right,” Creon scoffed, “what are the chances of that?”
“Just shut up and read,” she sighed, passing him a book, “these are books on Equestria’s history, ranging from Starswirl the Bearded to last year’s Grand Galloping Gala.”

Creon thanked her and obliged, reading the book he was given. He shifted around on his seat, and Titian noticed his tail appeared to phase through the chair. She stared at it dumfounded, until Creon spoke up.
“It doesn’t exist,” he said, not bothering to look up from his book, “at least, not as far as I can tell. It seems to exist when I consciously will it to, but otherwise it is like a ghost.”
He turned to face Titian, who was still staring at his impossible tail.
“Do you think my flank is going to disappear also?” he asked, making her blush.
She sat up straight and held a book over her bright red face. Creon just chuckled and sighed before throwing the book on the table and reaching for another one.
“They can’t be that difficult,” laughed Titian, hoping she could take attention away from her embarrassing situation.
“What do you mean?” asked Creon, lifting up a second book.
Titian frowned.
“Why did you grab a new book?”

“Because I finished the previous one.”
Titian laughed loudly, drawing many strange looks from the library’s other occupants. Creon placed his book on top of the first and picked up another.
“Really?” she said through gasps, “You expect me to believe you finished it that quickly?”

Did I miss the joke here?
“No,” whispered Creon, “I have no idea why she is laughing. Let alone that uproariously.”
Titian wiped the tears from her eyes and settled down.
“Seriously though, why did you put those books down?”
Creon looked at her as he placed his third book down and then reached for a fourth.
“Because I finished them,” he stated bluntly.

Titian laughed again, quieter this time, and Creon stopped reading his book to stare at her.
“Why do you find my statements so funny?” he asked quizzically.
“Because,” gasped Titian, trying to catch her breath, “no-one, not even Celestia herself, could possibly read that quickly.”

Well, aren’t you special, taunted Necro.
Creon continued to stare at her, making Titian feel uncomfortable.
“In that case,” said Creon, scratching at his chin, “how can I?”
“You can’t!” Titian yelled, eliciting more stern looks from the library patrons.
And yet, he did, said Necro.
“She can’t hear you,” Creon stated, but Necro ignored him.

“He is right though,” said Creon, looking back at his book, “I do read that fast.”
He threw down his fourth book and retrieved a fifth from the slowly shrinking stack. Titian folded her hooves in front of her and snorted.
“Prove it,” she said, “hand me one of the books you read.”
Creon did so and Titian flicked through the pages at random. She stopped rifling through the book and cleared her throat.

“Answer this. Who was the Element of Loyalty?”
Time to prove yourself Creon, said Necro, answer the question.
“I will if you’d shut up,” he mumbled, before turning his attention to Titian.
“That’s easy,” Creon said, “Rainbow Dash.”
Titian frowned, but asked another question.
“What was her occupation pre-integration?”
“She was the weather pony for Ponyville,” Creon answered, “a job that she left to Sunlight, a changeling, post-integration to try achieve her dream of leading the Wonderbolts. That dream, as you would know, was crushed when she injured her wings while attempting to do what she called, a ‘Double Sonic Rainboom’, a feat many deemed impossible. She collided with a mountain to the north of Ponyville and fractured almost every bone in her body, and nearly pulverized her wing bones.”

Titian stared open mouthed at Creon, but he continued his speech.
“When she was finally released from the hospital, she could barely fly a few centimeters from the ground, and soon became a shut-in, never leaving her home if it was not vital. She alienated herself from her friends, becoming cruel and yelling at those who spoke to her. She was quick to make promises to her rare visitors, but even quicker to neglect them. When she passed away, only five years after the accident, she had lost all her friends, and only the Princesses attended her meager funeral.”
Titian wiped the tear that was forming on her eye and sniffed quietly.

“And I’m guessing that shortly after that, The Element of Loyalty turned to dust.”
Creon shook himself from his trance-like state and looked Titian in the eye.
“Do you believe me now?” he asked, and she nodded sadly.

Wow, teased Necro, is it your goal to make everyone you meet sad? Seriously.
Creon shrugged and rubbed the back of his head sheepishly.
“I’m going to keep reading, okay?”
He patted Titian’s head gingerly and resumed his reading.
How ironic, said Necro, interrupting Creon once more, when Rainbow Dash, the Element of Loyalty, died, she was no longer loyal.

Creon nodded.
“Yes, it is, isn’t it?” he sighed, trying to read the book in his hooves.
Anyway, I’ll let you read peacefully now.
“Thank you. I just want to read in peace.”
Well, do so.
"As long as there are no more interru-"

“CREON!”
Creon froze. The shriek came from behind Creon, and he assumed it originated in the door way.
“That’s Luna, isn’t it?”
Without moving his head, he whispered the question to Titian, who was staring behind him. The terrified look on her face and a quick nod gave Creon the answer he was dreading.
If you hurry we can leave before she -
Creon heard magic sizzle behind his head and felt heavy breaths down the back of his neck.

Uh oh.

Author's Note:

This chapter feels a bit short, but I decided to use it as a "passing chapter" (that is now an official literary term) and hopefully make the next one a lot longer.