• Published 27th Dec 2012
  • 3,456 Views, 6 Comments

Before the First - foxfyre2



A traditional gather-around-the-fire story about rejection and the search for family. It is a tale about Luna, Celestia, Discord, and Sombra back before the first Hearth's Warming and how they found comfort in each other during a time of distres

  • ...
2
 6
 3,456

Chapter 8: Discord and Luna

“I, Madam Mishap, am the great spirit of chaos, Discord. And who might you be, other than one running around crashing into others like a headless scootaloo?” Discord asked as he picked himself up from the mix of pony and snow.

“What is a … scootaloo? Never mind, I am Princess Luna of Canterlot. What are you doing just standing there? Don’t you realize that there is a blizzard going on?”

“Why, you mean this little flurry of snow? It hardly deserves to be called a blizzard by my standards. Now tell me this, what are you doing in this forest on night like this? You do know that there are … dangers … in this nasty ol’ place?” Discord was grinning right through his teeth. He very much enjoyed the situation that was playing out.

Luna was about to make her retort, but something inside of her decided against it. Instead, she replied, “I ran away from my kingdom, or rather, I ran away from somepony in the kingdom; my sister.” Luna proceeded to explain to Discord her circumstance and how she ended up in the middle of nowhere. He listened quietly and once in a while asked a simple question.

“In all honesty, I’m not entirely angry with my sister, I’m also angry at myself. I know she is responsible for the safety and wellbeing of our subjects, but it feels like she never has time to spend with me anymore. She feels so distant. I’m mad at myself now because I realize how selfish I’ve been in my thinking and actions. I just want us to be a happy family again. Am I bad sister?”

Of course Discord could understand Luna perfectly. “No, of course you are not. Sometimes families drive each other crazy, but they are still family.” He expressed sincere empathy for Luna. “My family was much more chaotic than what yours sounds like.”

For the few minutes that the two were talking, the storm quieted once again. There must have been some kind of magic in the friendly exchange of chatter that the storm resonated with.

Luna then asked, “Is that why you are out here now? To get away from your family?”

Discord felt a little bit hurt at the question. He would be right there with his family if he could, but he had none. Not anymore. Without thinking, Discord replied, “Don’t be a foolish pony. I don’t need my family anymore! They mean as much to me as I meant to them.”

Luna, shocked by his words and change of tone, sent back a response as harsh as his. “Well maybe you don’t deserve a family then, if that’s how you think of them!” The blizzard instantly turned malignant. “I may be resentful of my sister once in a while, but I’d never turn my back on her!”

“Oh, you mean like what you’re doing right now? Maybe I was wrong. Maybe you are acting like a spoiled brat. In fact, I take back my previous sincerities. Go on, run away and mope about how dreadful you must have it. See how much good that’ll do you.” Discord then hurried off into the forest. Inside he was truly hurt, but his attitude persuaded him to turn around just before out of sight and shoot Luna a mocking expression. He then vanished into the storm.

Luna sat there for a moment, deeply saddened and holding back tears. She slouched down beneath a shallow ditch. “Why did I say that?” She buried her head in her hooves and started to cry.