• Published 25th Dec 2012
  • 2,098 Views, 9 Comments

Son of Sombra - Journey of a Demon Alicorn - Prince Star Fall



Everypony knew of the story of King Sombra and his reign over the Crystal Empire. But few knew of his firstborn son, who was forced away from his home and onto a journey that would take him back to finish what the Princesses started.

  • ...
4
 9
 2,098

Chapter 3 - Cold Heart Melting

Chapter 3 - Cold Heart Melting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

…The Moon Riseth…

A warm circular fire was lit a few feet from the bay, with two tents and some logs placed nearby. The Prince sat in front of a log nearest the tent, taking in the night air as if it were a loved one, leaning back with his front hooves behind his head. North Star sat like any other pony on the log in front of his tent. He kept his cloak on to protect him from the caress of the cold air, which did not seem to bother the Prince at all. Then the Prince’s eyes opened up, and his relaxed smile turned into a neutral crease. He looked over at North Star, who wasn’t shivering from the cold, but kept his hooves towards the fire.

“Hey, gramps.” North Star looked up, giving a grunt and a look of concern. “I’ve been thinking about what you said… about me being like that unicorn I fought earlier…”

“I did not say you were like him,” interjected North Star, “just that he reminded me of you.”

“Whatever! I got to thinking just now, and… erm…” Prince Ostrath paused. He knew the words that he wanted to say, but the way he was conditioned made it difficult to even utter them to himself.

“Yes?”

“…Well… th-th… th-thaaa… thiii... thhhhhheeeaaaa-“

“…Thank you?”

“You said it, not me.” The Prince turned away, slightly embarrassed. After a moment’s pause, he turned back and noticed that North Star was wearing a smile on his face. “Well, what are YOU smiling about?”

“Oh, nothing, nothing at all.” He continued to smirk.

“Look, don’t get any ideas now! Just because I- well, you kno- just- BAH, I’m going to bed! I’ll see you when the sun rises!” Off Prince Ostrath went into his tent. North Star sat there in disbelief and excitement at what he had witnessed; the Prince had shown an inkling of appreciation! It seems, he thought, that my goodwill teachings have made their mark. He turned towards a bucket next to him, picking it up by the handle with his mouth and bringing it over to the bay. North Star filled the bucket to the brim with the Bay water and dumped it over the fire. He couldn’t help but smile as he did so, even as he went into his tent to sleep. Already he couldn’t wait for the sun to rise to see what other developments would unfold.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morning came. The skies over Canterlot were clear, hold for several clouds and the Pegasus Guards that roamed within it. Nevertheless, the sun shined brightly over the castle walls and the city below. Pegasus Guards lined not only the skies, but the castle walls and stood around the city, ever vigilant to defend the heart of their kingdom. Their golden armor gleamed in the sunshine.

One particular pony on watch duty was Princess Luna, who watched through a mystical scope on the highest tower in Canterlot. With it, she could see all of Equestria and its beautiful rolling hills, wide fields, dense forests, tall mountains, and expansive skylines. With nothing to do in the daytime until nightfall, when she would move the moon into everypony’s view as she was known to do, watch duty was better than just signing papers like her older sister always did. It was also better than nothing at all. However, the serenity and perfection of the day had caught on to her, forcing boredom to rear its ugly head. Though it was only morning, she ventured to guess that nothing major or any minor problems would pop up today. Even if one does, the Princess thought, the Pegasus Guards should be more than able to handle it. Satisfied with her guess, Princess Luna walked down the tower towards Canterlot’s Main Hall and into the Throne Room, where her older sister, Princess Celestia, the ruler and sole idol of Equestria, currently presided.

When Princess Luna reached her, she was working on paperwork, wearing reading glasses and holding a quill and a scrap of paper with the power of her magic.

“Big sister!” Princess Luna called.

Princess Celestia looked up from her papers with a sweet smile. “Well, hello, Luna! Watch duty keeping you busy?”

“I guess. It sure is… quiet… and boring…”

“Well, watch duty can’t be all fun and games.”

“True, but hardly anything happens, and what little that does happen, the Guards handle it quickly… Did I happen to mention it was QUIET?”

“Yes, and that should be a good thing. It means we are in good standing with security.” Princess Celestia had a quick thought and gave a look of horror to Princess Luna. “You don’t want something bad to happen to Equestria, do you?”

“N-no, of course not! But-“ Stammering, Luna took a deep breath, then heard her older sister laughing.

“Calm down, Luna. I was just messing with you.”

Princess Luna rolled her eyes and spoke to herself. Of course you were.

“So just what were you getting at?” Princess Celestia inquired.

“I wanted to ask you if I could take a break…”

Princess Celestia thought this thoroughly. “I guess a break from watch duty wouldn’t hurt. Why not?” She answered with a smile.

“…and take a walk around the kingdom.”

The eldest Princess looked at a clock hanging on the wall. “Well, I suppose I can take a break, too. I’ll just put this paperwork away and-“

“Alone.”

At this, Princess Celestia paused and looked with surprise at her younger sister. “By yourself? Are you sure about this?”

“Yes, I’m sure,” Luna started, “I think a stroll around wherever the wind takes me – or maybe the road – would be just what I need to change things up for myself. Now I know what you’re thinking – ‘I’m too young to be out on my own,’ or ‘I don’t know what’s out there,’ or even-“

“All right, then.”

Now it was Princess Luna’s turn to have a face that said “Wait, WHAT?”

“You seem pretty confident about being able to travel on your own, and you make some fine points about it.”

Luna was even more confused now. ”But… I didn’t make any points… yet…”

“I know. I just figure that your great self-confidence was enough, and I thought I’d just skip that part.”

At this point, Luna became suspicious. “OK, who are you and what have you done with my sister?”

Princess Celestia laughed. “Oh, just go out and enjoy the fresh air. I’ll have Caesar cover the position while you’re gone.”

Luna just stared at her, still in suspicion and expecting some sense to be made of how her older sister was acting. Princess Celestia simply kept her face beaming with joy, her eyes closed all the while. After a moment of staring and silence, Princess Luna spoke. “Um… OK… I’m gonna go out now.”

“Enjoy, then! Don’t be out too late – preferably before sunset!”

“…OK.” Out the door Luna went, still confused, but nevertheless happy about gaining some freedom from doing nothing but royal business. Now all she had to think about was where she wanted to go first. Luna got right to thinking on it as she hopped, skipped, and jumped around Canterlot, while taking in just how refreshed since she got off work. It was strange – walking around outside felt different since she didn’t have any regal work to attend to. Soon, an idea hit her.

“Well… I’ve never gotten a good look around Hayseed Swamps… or explored where the dragons roam, either…”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Celestia, I grow weary of walking”

“Best get used to it, young master. I’ve told you when we started this journey when you were but a small colt, and I’ll tell you again as a teenage stallion – there will be a LOT of walking involved; nopony got where they were today without putting forth the effort necessary. Plus those shriveled wings of yours won’t do you much good, and even if they could get you up in the air, you would not be able to carry us both.” The Prince had forgotten all about his small changeling wings, which were also a genetic add-on from being half-unicorn, half-changeling. He had to admit that North Star was, again, right in all respects. So with a sigh, he moved on. “Don’t worry, Prince – our first fragment still lies in the Badlands, which is in the next area over after these swamps.”

“Wonderful.”

“Just beyond the Macintosh Hills!”

Prince Ostrath stopped right where he was and gave a look to his old companion, who just looked back with a grin. He gave an annoyed groan.

“…Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.”

For the past few hours, the duo had been walking from the Bay into a forest as dense as the last, and it was only recently that it began to turn into a thick swamp. The ground became noticeably softer, and there were varying spots where it was nothing but mush, wet dirt, mud, and murky water. It would be worse it there wasn’t just enough sunlight peeking through the thick trees.

The swamp seemed to stretch on forever. Their journey into it would only last several more hours, but it would feel like days, even weeks, had passed. An unusual quietness had settled around wherever they trudged, and it seemed to go on in an endless loop for the Prince.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Princess Luna had finally flown her way to Hayseed Swamps, ecstatic to explore a place considered dangerous – even forbidden – by some.

“I can only wonder what to expect in such a large place. Maybe some wondrous birds of an exotic sort? Or perhaps a beautiful flower amongst the eau natural swamp life?” the Princess said as she hopped from tree trunk to tree trunk, looking about for whatever would jump out at her. She stuck to the main pathway since she arrived at the entrance, clearly marked with signs of various sorts, such as “Beware” or “You have been warned,” but Luna had the spirit of adventure burning brightly inside her. After a while of walking, however, things started to grow dull, and her high interest in exploration even begun to sink, yet Luna marched on with the high hopes of finding whatever could be the highlight of her off-day. “Well, there could even be strange creatures lurking around that would make this trip worth it.”

It was as if the swamp answered her call, as bubbles suddenly rose in the swamp water to her left. Then it happened again on her right. Soon, she heard heavy footsteps behind her. Princess Luna could not help but slowly turn around, fear crawling up her spine and wings. Then she stopped where she stood, completely frozen at what she saw – a behemoth of a swamp monster covered in seaweed and vines, staring right back at her.

Princess Luna wondered why she wasn’t already screaming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prince Ostrath and North Star continued along the thickening swamp waterway.

“You know, young master, it was a good thing that Dawn Guard didn’t notice your wings, or get a good look at all your changeling parts back at Horseshoe bay. We wouldn’t want anypony knowing what kind of pony you REALLY are.”

“True, but I’m not exactly sure how that would-“

Then they both heard it – a high-pitched scream of pure fear coming from a young mare.

“That sounded close!”

“It did, didn’t it?” the Prince added with a chuckle. He just walked on.

“Well, shouldn’t we go over and see what happened to cause somepony to scream like that?”

“We have much more important things to do than see who’s screaming over some stupid-“

“PRINCE!” North Star shouted, attempting to set his priorities straight.

“OK, OK, FINE…” Prince Ostrath shouted back, finally on the move to see what happened where the scream took place. Normally not one to take orders from the likes of anypony whatsoever, he was surprised not only that he was listening to somepony else, but that North Star had yelled right at him. Not once in his short life had he yelled at the Prince; it was quite the moment to think about. In fact, he wasn’t sure if he was impressed by North Star’s sudden challenge of his power, or if he was just being respectful of his elders. If it be the latter, he thought, then I must be changing… Right now, he had to focus on the source of the scream.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Princess found herself overcome with fear of the hulking, seaweed-covered beast that stood tall before her. She wanted so desperately to run away or fly out of the swamps and get back to Canterlot to return to the comfort of being at her sister’s side. But that was just it; she couldn’t move at all. Her mind willed her to budge, but her body wouldn’t listen, and fear was the culprit for her paralysis.

All Luna could do was close her eyes and pray for a miracle to happen.

“BACK OFF, CUCUMBER!!”

The Princess opened her eyes to see that a black-and-red-maned pony… or perhaps a unicorn? She thought. But… his horn is broken… She hardly had time to think as the pony swooped in and pulled out a blade attached to his left arm by a chain. He immediately loosened the blade and swung it around for momentum, ending with three slashes coming at the monster at different angles. After a flash of white light passed, the beast had fallen on its back, groaning in pain. The mysterious pony had frozen in place after making his move, but when his short-lived foe had fell, he locked his weapon back on his foreleg and turned to the Princess.

“Are you OK-“

He stopped mid-question as he had begun to stare at Luna, who stared back contently. They seemed so focused on each other when their eyes met that neither of them said a word. The only thing that would break the spell between them was the sudden appearance of another, more elderly pony covered under a frayed brown cloak.

“Well, North Star, you sure took your sweet time getting here.” The mysterious colt spoke.

“I’m not as limber as I used to be, young master.” Replied the elder with a chuckle and a sigh. He paused once he reached his young companion and noticed the young Alicorn standing next to him. His face lit up in recognition of who she was, but he still begged the question of her identity. “Who might this beautiful young mare be?”

“She is, uh… erm…” started the young colt, but he, of course, did not know.

“Hello there, I’m-“ The Princess began, yet her royal code begged her to be formal around all other ponies, with the exception of her older sister. “I am Princess Luna, mover of the Moon and ruler alongside my sister, Princess Celestia, of Equestria.”

“Well, what is a pony of royalty doing all alone in the Hayseed Swamps? And without guards for protection?” North Star asked.

Luna turned to the elder. “Back at Canterlot, I’ve had important duties to attend to, but today, I felt that I should take what one calls a ‘day off’…”
“…And your idea of a day off is to go looking for trouble in random places?”

“No! But… you see… um…” The Princess tried her best to maintain her confidence and regality, but both seemed to falter before all three ponies. Finally, after giving pause to think, Princess Luna sighed and spoke. “I’ll be honest. I am not very good with keeping to my royal stance, even with how I speak. My sister is the one who speaks for me usually, anyhow.”

“Well, I don’t see why we need to speak formally here… especially in a swamp.” Said the younger stranger. “I mean, if that’s fine with you, Princess.” He turned around, slightly embarrassed by his complete change in attitude.

Princess Luna turned back to face her savior. “So, how shall I refer to the pony that saved my life?”

The Prince thought it was about time to reveal himself to such a beautiful mare. “I am called Prince Ostr-“ He stopped. His conscience told him that maybe it would be best if his true name isn’t revealed to anypony else, lest there be complications in his quest to become King. The Prince quickly coughed and continued. “Excuse me. My name is Prince Rhymestone, and I hail from the Flankerlands.”

“It’s very nice to meet you, Prince Rhymestone. The Flankerlands are quite far away – what brings a Euroquestrian all the way here?”

“My father apparently scattered fragments of… a gemstone… and has sent me on a quest that would help me to become King.”

“Interesting…” The Princess said with a growing curiosity. “Do you know where the pieces are, exactly?”

“No, but that’s why North Star is accompanying me. He can read the sky like a map, and he tells me that the next fragment lies somewhere in the Badlands.”

The Princess immediately got an idea. “Hey, maybe I can get my sister to help you! I’ll go ask her right now-“

“NO! Uh, I mean, I can’t get any help from the Princesses of Equestria. I must gather the fragments on my own with North Star as a guide.”

“Oh… well, OK…” Princess Luna had just felt a surge of interest from this unexpected turn of events, but they too soon faded when she learned she couldn’t help the Prince.

“We should be off, then.” The Prince spoke, a little disheartened himself. He began to make his leave.

“Wait! Prince Rhymestone!”

The Prince turned to Princess Luna.

“If it’s not too much trouble, may I accompany you anyway? I wouldn’t feel too comfortable walking on my own… and believe it or not, I was heading towards the Badlands myself, to get a good look at the dragon colony.”

The Prince thought this over. Technically, she wasn’t helping him get the fragments – she just wanted some protection while travelling. He also felt a warm sensation where his heart was with her around, which he wanted to explore further. It didn’t take him long for his decision to be made. “I don’t see a problem in that. Sure, you may join us.”

“YAY- uh, good, yes.” The Princess exclaimed with joy, now slightly embarrassed. “Very well. Onward, then!” The truth was, she could take good care of herself, as she knew some good defensive magic. Yet there was something about the Prince that intrigued her, and she figured a journey alone wouldn’t be as fun as a journey with new friends. So off they were on a quest as a trio. North Star, however, immediately came up to the Prince’s side.

“Excuse me, ‘Prince Rhymestone.’ What did I just hear back there?” he questioned.

“It was just a few lies. I can’t exactly trust EVERYPONY I meet, you know.” Replied the Prince.

“Well, I hardly see a necessity to give false identity to royalty. Or ANYPONY, for that matter!”

“I just don’t want too many roadblocks on my quest. Besides, she probably won’t be with us for too long, anyway.”

“Then I hope you know what you’re doing from here on out. Let’s just get your ‘Euroquestrian’ butt moving for those fragments of your ‘amulet.’”

“Aye, aye, Cap’n!” The Prince jokingly responded and begun to take march, but then stopped as he realized the ground was solid and firm. “Well, this, erm… the ground is stable here.”

“It is.” The Princess spoke. “Don’t tell me you’ve been walking in swamp water the whole time.”

“We had no idea of any solid ground existing this deep into the swamps. We’ve been traveling along the coast of Equestria and through various detours for quite a while.” North Star explained as the Prince put his hoof straight into his face in realization and self-disappointment.

“Let’s just get going.” The Prince capped off. The Princess followed suit.

Before following the other two, North Star stopped and looked at the fallen monster still on the ground and said, “My goodness… Equestria never ceases to amaze me.”

TO BE CONTINUED

Author's Note:

This was the last chapter I had finished writing before I became a member and posted the story. From here on out, the chapters may not come out so quickly. ENJOY!