• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 899 Views, 10 Comments

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse - Bundle of Funyuns



In ancient times, a propechy was foretold; The end of all Equestria, world and nation as we know it.

  • ...
 10
 899

Chapter 2: The Longest Day

Twilight could barely force herself to rise out of bed. She was well rested, and her bed made it quite easy to relax in, only the best for a visitor, and soon permanent resident of the Canterlot Castle. Today was the last day Twilight would have with Princess Celestia, for she would soon die, and be reborn. Twilight was dreading seeing her beloved princess in a near-death state. The only thing that permitted her body to rise was the thought of her mentor dying without her faithful student at her side. Preparing herself as best she could for the day, Twilight left her chambers and went off to find her friends. Fluttershy was in the Canterlot Gardens when Twilight found her. She expected the poor mare to be a complete mess, and though she was surrounded by several small animals comforting her, not a cry, not the slightest whimper could be heard from poor Fluttershy. "Fluttershy.. Is everything alright?" The yellow-coated mare's head lowered slightly, releasing a tiny sigh. "I can't do it Twilight, I'm sorry.." Twilight nodded. She had been there for the past three days, and she was grateful for that. "Don't be, Fluttershy. You're a good friend, and I'm glad you're here at all. Do whatever you want for the rest of the day, okay?" She placed a hoof on the mare's shoulder. "I'm so sorry Twilight.. Th-thank you.. Tell her I'm sorry.." Twilight nodded, and went on her way.

Applejack was found in the kitchen with several chefs, and a familiar zebra. Zecora had been requested by Twilight to travel to Canterlot, in the hopes that the brewing master could make Celestia more comfortable in her final moments. Zecora was more than happy to help, and went the extra mile by helping Applejack with new recipes. Twilight took a moment to visit with the two, and they headed out to find Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash.

With the five of the six ponies gathered (plus Zecora), they traveled to Celestia's chambers, where Princess Luna, Prince Blueblood, Princess Cadence, and Shining Armor had been waiting. Shining ran to his sister's side, embracing her in a tight hug. Twilight could only bear to let it last a moment, before rushing to her Princess' side. Celestia's mane had completely faded to a grey color. Her coat was pale, and she seemed emaciated. Her breathing was calm, but slower than usual. She reached for Twilight, who took her own hoof in hers, the two comforting each other in their time of need. Celestia smiled weakly, and spoke softly. "Where is.. Fluttershy..?" Twilight held gently onto her mentor's hoof. "She said she was sorry, that she couldn't come. I told her it was okay, and that she's done more than enough." Celestia nodded sadly. "I hope she will be alright.." Twilight took a seat nearby, and then noticed that a small glow had appeared near Celestia's heart, like the glow of the sun. It was beating slower, as if it would soon fade.

Throughout the rest of the day, which had been longer than normal due to the circumstances, Zecora prepared herbal remedies for Princess Celestia to ease her pain. She had lived for an untold length of time, and suddenly faced with death, it was no surprise that her body was in agony, though she was in too much pain to make much more noise than a few gasps. Her wings were now void of most of her graceful feathers, though a few, sickly leftovers still adorned them. They occasionally spoke to Celestia, but kept everything short. She did not have much time left, and forcing her to speak would only exhaust the miniscule amounts of energy she still had. Everyone in the room was more concerned for Twilight, who could not take her eyes off of Celestia, a grim look on her face.

Zecora estimated that Celestia only had about an hour left when a familiar face entered the room. Fluttershy had braced herself for the worst, and entered the room, tears flowing down her cheeks. Celestia shed a few tears of her own as she saw the kind, gentle yellow mare arrive. "Flutter..Shy.." The yellow mare galloped to her, crying uncontrollably. "I'M SOOORRY!" Celestia chuckled softly. "If you had not come, I would not have been..nghh..upset. I am only more happy to see that you came..." Fluttershy held both hooves to her mouth, trying her best not to sob uncontrollably again. The two of them smiled, and Fluttershy took a seat near Rarity, who generously comforted the mare.

Zecora lowered her head slowly. "Celestia's time.. is long over due. It is time for her to begin anew." Celestia had long since fallen asleep. She was peaceful as the glowing presence in her heart began to fade, to dim. Twilight rested her head on the dying princess' chest, sobbing softly. She was more prepared than she should have been for this, for her teacher's death. One by one, the ponies, and even the zebra, who's life had no connection to the former princess, began to cry. Celestia's body slowly turned to shining dust, before forming a small orb, big enough for a newborn foal to fit in. The small, bright orb remained on the bed, where Celestia's horseshoes remained. Luna stepped forward to speak, her regal voice falling apart in front of everypony as she threatened to lose her composure. "That is Celestia's soul. In two days, it will open, and her new form will be born. Take it, Twilight Sparkle. Cherish it like your owl foal." Luna stepped away from the group, and made her way toward the door. "I know what you are going through, Celestia was my sister, and in a way, your mother. But hear me, if anything befalls my sister's newborn form, you will pay dearly. You are a friend, and that is why I trust you." With that, the new ruler of Equestria left the room.

And now, after all the pain, agony, after twelve hours of watching the supreme ruler of Equestria die before a small group of friends, it was only mid-day, and there would still be time for Twilight Sparkle to lower the sun for the first time. And not far away, in the sealed prison behind the royal throne, a presence was stirring. Discord's stone prison, now weakened by Celestia's death, was slowly unraveling. The Horseman of Death's return was inevitable, and sooner than anypony could have imagined.

Author's Note:

:pinkiesad2::fluttercry::raritydespair::raritydespair::raritydespair:

My face when CELESTIA DIEEEEEES

I felt it was neccesary.