• Published 21st Mar 2012
  • 1,993 Views, 51 Comments

My Little Necromancer - Midnight Moon



Learn the forbidden art, lest all you know be destroyed.

  • ...
6
 51
 1,993

Prologue: The Great and Powerful Trixie Makes a Discovery

One step, and then the next. That’s what she kept telling herself.

The Great and Powerful Trixie had traveled long and far. At first, she was just running, she realized now. Running away from that town, that place… that pony. The pony that had humiliated her. The pony that ruined her career. The purple pony with the purple star as her Cutie Mark, the pony she dreamed of every night, the pony that wouldn’t leave her mind no matter how weary she was or how far she ran, the pony that had made her resort to thievery and begging… Begging!… just to get a meal or a dry place to stay the night.

Twilight Sparkle.

Just thinking of her made Trixie want to vomit. How dare that lowlife, that peasant, upstage her!… And how dare she make Trixie owe her life to her. The Great and Powerful Trixie owes nothing to nopony. The Great and Powerful Trixie can look after herself, just as she did for years on the open road.

One step, and then the next. First, Trixie would need something to give her an edge. After realizing this, she traveled all through Equestria searching for some sort knowledge, some spell that would put that peasant back in her place. When she couldn’t find her answer within Equestria, she decided to look without. There were miles of unchecked, uncharted, unexplored land, just waiting for somepony with the skills and the courage to claim its secrets. Surely she would find something there.

It had been the most dangerous months of her life. Monsters unknown in Equestria roamed the wastes, and lawless bands of Gryphons and Zebras waited for an unlucky explorer. Most of the vegetation was poisonous, and what she could eat tasted like rotten carrots smothered in week-old mayonnaise that had been left out in the sun. But not once did Trixie think about going back. She wouldn’t show her face again, not until she had her revenge.

Celestia’s sun was going down. Soon, it would be night, and she would have to find shelter or face the horrors that lurked in the dark. After ten minutes of searching, Trixie found a small, uninhabited cave to sleep in. Strange that there was nothing in it, not even bones, like in every other cave she had been in, but shelter was shelter, and she couldn’t afford to be picky.

Setting down her bags and retrieving the enchanted sleeping bag within, she placed wards over the entrance, then settled down for the night.

Very early the next morning, the whispering winds woke Trixie up. Her wards were supposed to block out the wind, but magic could be unreliable at times out here, as she learned when a spell that was supposed to temporarily paralyze a band of

Gryphons instead made their feathers fall off. Fortunately, they had ran off after that, embarrassed. Trixie chuckled a bit as she remembered the looks on their faces, and how they looked like featherless chickens as they ran.

Her wards were still in place.

Fully awake now, she realized that it was coming from the back of the cave. There must be an opening… but who would bother making a secret base all the way out here?

Could this be what she was searching for? Could she have finally found something would allow her to get her revenge against Twilight? More nervous then anxious, Trixie felt out the back of the cave. A hidden door, opened slightly, was at the farthest corner from the cave opening. Even her magic wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference between it and the surrounding stone if it hadn’t been slightly opened. Whoever made this knew more about magic then she did, possibly more then she ever would.

Opening the hidden door, Trixie gasped when she saw what was within. Gold, jewels, treasure, more then you could hope to find in a dragon’s horde. But wealth was meaningless to her. What made her gasp was a sarcophagus made entirely out of a single, gigantic Moon Ruby. Moon Rubies only formed during an Eclipse, and the Princess Sisters hadn’t made one since the Nightmare Moon era. They had immense magical powers, and what few that were found were hoarded zealously, used in the workings of the highest order of magics. Even Trixie had never seen a Moon Ruby before, though any unicorn would instantly recognize them due to their red-purple glow and magical aura.

The unicorn inside was perfectly preserved, frozen in time inside his crystal tomb. He certainly looked regal, with a black-blue mane and tail to match those of the Royal Sisters, and a deep purple coat. Unfortunately, a slight blemish on the Moon Ruby prevented view of his Cutie Mark. He was arranged so that he appeared to be meditating, facing due west, back towards Equestria. And, right in front of his closed eyes, was a pedestal with a single book, unmarred by the passage of time.

Trixie had read of tombs such as these. In the time before the Royal Pony Sisters, warlords vied for power, and wizards whose powers rivaled the Princesses commanded large armies. Nearing their deaths, they would gather their accumulated wealth and knowledge and hide them away. Such tombs were often filled with traps still powerful even after millennium, and most ponies sent to recover the treasures inside, weather for good intentions or bad, never came out.

Just what was such a tomb doing way out here, Trixie might never know. As far as she knew, ponies have never been in this land before. But it didn’t matter. Who knew what secret and forgotten spells might lie within that book? Who knew how powerful the Great and Powerful Trixie would become after learning them? She would have her revenge. She could almost see the look on Twilight Sparkle’s face when she finally defeated her, after all this time.

But why stop there? Fate had led her here, to this forgotten tomb far outside Equestria’s borders. She realized now that she was meant to be defeated back in Ponyville. If she hadn’t, she would never have found this place. Fate had greater plans for her, and Trixie was not about to let such a chance pass her by. Who better to lead the land then her? Celestia and Luna have ruled long enough. Now, it was her turn.

Now was the time for the Great and Powerful Trixie to show them what she could really do.