• Published 29th Dec 2012
  • 318 Views, 0 Comments

Friendship in Politics - Shockburst



Baltimare is on the brink: the City Council is at daggers, quite literally, and the two parties seem to be unwilling to settle their differences as the looming shadow of economic collapse threatens the city.

  • ...
 0
 318

Laying it All Down

It took the better part of the morning to explain the plan to Twilight and the Blank Mare. By that time, two ponies carried up their lunches.

"Thanks," said Twilight, and accepted her hot meal. The Blank Mare just nodded as she took hers. Meriwether, who had been up since 4 in the morning, immediately started guzzling down his food.

"So," said Bright Seeking, popping a bag of chips. "Any questions Twilight?"

Twilight paused in her grass and tulip soup. "Well, there's the matter of why we need to get this bill ready in the middle of the lame-duck period after the elections. I mean, we would have a better chance of having Lightstring here and Meriwether convince their party members. We could also talk to the ponies who have been voted in."

Bright Seeking nodded. "We've been deliberating over that ever since, um, how long ago. We've been trying to come up with plans for ages and I think if we take advantage of those lame-duck Council ponies, we have a shot in getting this bill passed."

"But there's only a few ponies who got voted out, right?" asked Twilight.

"Yes, only 7 ponies have been voted out. But remember, we only 40 ponies to vote for this bill," replied Bright Seeking.

"40? Seems like a lot to me," interjected the Blank Mare.

"Well, true, but as it stands right now, we have... how many Meriwether?" asked Bright Seeking.

Meriwether looked up from his Roana prairie grass noodles. "Oh, um..." he swallowed. "We can pretty much guarantee 17 votes from the ponies in the middle. The rest, we'll take from the center-right and center-left."

"But if my information is correct," said Lightstring. "There are a total of 15 strong lefts and strong rights. That gives a space of only 5 ponies if we're going off the supermajority. Coupled with the fact that we can't guarantee every moderates' vote, how can we win this?"

Meriwether swallowed his daffodil and daisy salad. "Well, you're forgetting that Skyros has a pull over a lot of White Party guys. And I'm in the Economic Management Committee, so I pretty much have a large say now, especially on matters like this."

"And, we have at least 1 Navy and 2 right-White guys as well, so if we can convince them, that gives us more room to work with. Plus, their vote might spread to the other less stubborn ponies in their factions," added Bright Seeking.

"But how are going to convince them?" asked Twilight.

"Simple," said Bright Seeking. "We give them jobs."

"What?" asked Twilight and the Blank Mare.

"Jobs. You know, we get their vote, they get a job, so they won't have to spend time finding another line of work."

Twilight and the Blank Mare looked shocked. "But," began the Blank Mare. "That's the patronage system. It's illegal."

Meriwether shook his head from his banana. "Not necessarily. We're not promising them government jobs. Just regular, important, high-income jobs."

"But that's still illegal," said the Blank Mare. "You're still guaranteeing them a job for support. It's immoral."

Bright Seeking nodded. "I understand your viewpoint, but right now desperate times call for drastic measures. We have to do what it takes to get this bill passes as soon as possible. We can't waste a week, not even a day."

"But what if we're caught?" asked Twilight. "And what if they already have a job, or they're planning on getting a job that's better than what we can offer them?"

"I've checked," said Meriwether. "All of them don't have jobs yet. And the job spots we have are one of the best. The top, really. Managers for important buildings or companies and such and such. Trust me, they won't blink before they take the papers. I'm sure they won't risk actually getting a legitimate job interview for a just as good job and possibly get denied. And getting caught? Please. Nopony will actually bother with the legal implications of our plan. Trust me, our law enforcement is extremely lazy with business matters."

The office was silent, except for Meriwether sipping his coffee. Everypony was deep in thought.

"Right," said Bright Seeking, who was the first one to wake up. "We need to get things ready. First of all, we need to organize a team that will prepare the bill."

"That'll be me," said Lightstring.

"And me," added Twilight. "I did a little research on economy, so I know some basics of it."

Bright Seeking nodded in approval. "Alright, next, we need the ponies who'll be talking to all the moderates for both parties."

"That'll be me," said Meriwether. "And Skyros will help too."

"I could do it as well. I could threaten-" began the Blank Mare, but Bright Seeking shook his head.

"No, it won't be good if you start threatening them for their votes. We don't want to blackmail anypony. You can work on getting the public on our side. Our petition just came back and it didn't look so good."

"How was it?" asked Twilight.

"Only 51,000 signatures I'm afraid. Almost half of the population signed it."

"I'm sure that we just need time," assured Twilight.

"Maybe, but right now we don't have time," replied Bright Seeking darkly.

"So, I'm in charge of publicity?" asked the Blank Mare.

"Yes. Next, we need some ponies who will talk to the lame-duck guys and convince them to vote for the bill."

"Don't you already have them?" asked the Blank Mare.

Lightstring shook her head. "We were just thinking about that."

"Well, my friends could always help. If they're costing you guys money for their stay, they should work as well," said Twilight.

"Oh, no, we'll take care of it. Thanks anyway though Twilight. Your friends should just stay here and see the sights. Baltimare is still a beautiful city," said Lightstring.

"I think it's a brilliant idea actually," said Bright Seeking. "If we send ponies from our Society, it's going to look set up. Everypony is too businesslike here. We need to send some ponies who can actually put a smile on their face."

"Ponies here can smile," said Lightstring, hurt.

"I don't doubt that. But if we send any of our members, it'll look set up, because they're going to be attempting to accomplish a mission. It's easy to spot things like that in a conversation, and politicians can spot manipulation in a heartbeat," replied Bright Seeking. "No, Twilight's friends will do. From what I saw, they're pretty energetic,good-willed and, um, characteristic."

"Then it's settled," said Twilight. "I'll talk to my friends and get them to talk to these ponies. We have everything else worked out right?"

"Not quite yet," said Bright Seeking. "We're also conducting a random sample survey from ponies off the streets. Just to see what they think the specifics of the bill should be. We'll be spreading our members out in every direction, so we'll be pretty much all working on something."

"Sounds good then," said Twilight. "Anything else?"

Meriwether was chewing through a peppermint leaf. "Actually, your friends won't really need to talk to those lame-duck ponies."

He took out a pile of folders and tossed them on the desk. "These are portfolios you can hand to them. It has all the information they need to know on there, as well as an unofficial facsimile of the job papers, so they know we're serious."

"Great. Less of a chance for them to accidentally mess up," said Twilight.

"That should cover it then," finished Bright Seeking. "Alright everypony. We still got around 7 hours left. Lightstring, head down to the economic department offices and get started on a bill. Meriwether, you should head back to the Council and start really talking to the ponies. Call Skyros and have him talk to his friends as well. Blank Mare, you ought to start preparing an article. Nothing too fancy, just something that will tell everypony what's going on and call on their support in a straightforward way. Twilight, take these folders to your friends and then get back here. Accra will show you to the economic offices. I'll be preparing our survey agents for the upcoming survey. Sound good?"

A general sound of assent filled the room.

"Good. Now let's get out there and fix this problem," said Bright Seeking.

Suddenly, Meriwether let out a huge belch. Everypony except him started laughing, while his cheeks flushed red.

"Sorry," he apologized meekly. Everypony got up and walked out the office door, still chortling happily.


Twilight walked down to the Mareriott hotel down the street, carrying the 7 folders. She walked in the doors and across the empty lobby to the clerk, who looked glad at the sight of business again.

"Excuse me. Did three ponies check in around early morning or so? One of them was a pegasus, rainbow mane and tail?" asked Twilight.

"Ah yes," said the clerk attentively. "Let's see, yep, I remember the gal. They checked out under the bill of the Society for the Betterment of Baltimare. The pegasus is currently in room 203. The two Earth ponies are in room 312."

"Thank you," said Twilight, and she rushed up the stairs first to room 203. "Hey, Rainbow," she said as she entered. The room was a luxurious 2 pony bedroom filled with lavish chairs, a large king-sized bed filled with large and comfy pillows, a rather nice ceramic wall bathroom, and even a radio set. Despite the coziness and extravagance of the room, Rainbow Dash appeared to be disdainful and active, walking around the room in a huff.

"There you are Twilight! I was wondering when you'd get here," said Rainbow Dash. She jumped on the bed in frustration. "You will not believe how boring it was. I can't believe I didn't even bring a book or anything."

"Well lucky you," replied Twilight. "Because I brought one of Daring Do's books. Just for good measure."

"Seriously?! Oh that's awesome! Thank you so much Twilight!"

"You're welcome. Now come on, let's go meet Applejack and Pinkie Pie. We need to talk," said Twilight.

"What are those?" inquired Rainbow Dash, pointing to the folders that Twilight was floating.

"You'll see," answered Twilight simply.

2 minutes later, Twilight and Rainbow Dash entered room 312, which was basically the same as the other room except that there were three rather large single beds and the room was slightly larger to accommodate them. Applejack was sitting on the bed near the window, staring at the ceiling, while Pinkie Pie was still under the sleep spell, snoring in her bed near the bathroom.

"Ah, there you two are," Applejack said. She jumped on the floor and walked up to them.

"Hope you like the room. I need you to wake up Pinkie so I can talk to you three," said Twilight.

"I'M HERE!" shouted Pinkie Pie suddenly, sitting up like a bullet and raising her hoof as though Twilight was taking roll call.

"Right..." said Twilight. "Anyways, I need to talk to you three. This is important."

"We didn't do anything wrong by comin' here Twilight, did we?" asked Applejack worriedly.

"Not at all. In fact, I'm glad I brought you three along. Listen, I have a job for you."

Twilight explained their duty to them and placed down the folders at their feet. Rainbow Dash opened one and took at look at its contents. Applejack looked skeptical while Pinkie Pie was flashing her trademark smile.

"So let me get this straight," began Applejack. "We need to talk to these ponies and hand them these folders."

"No, you don't have to talk to them," said Twilight. "Just grab their attention and hand them their folders."

"How do we know what these duck ponies look like?" asked Applejack.

"Lame-duck ponies," corrected Twilight. "And don't worry, there's a picture of each of them in their respective folders for you to look at."

Rainbow Dash spotted the corner of one at the folder she was looking at and took it out. The picture was of a rather boring pony who looked even more apathetic than her flat hair. She wore a white pin on her Council suit.

"But how will we find 'em?" asked Applejack. "They could be all over the city for all we know."

"True. But they still attend Council meetings. You can catch them after the meetings. But not all at once, or it'll look too suspicious. It would be a good idea to have one of you girls in the Council building, one waiting outside who'll tag them until they reach a good spot, and the other finding them in their sector. Their residence is listed on the back of the photos I believe," presented Twilight.

"I can just fly to their homes after they get there," said Rainbow Dash. "I'll be the one who waits outside their house."

"Ah' can tag along them once they leave," said Applejack.

"And I can throw a party for them in the Council building. Oh, this'll be so fun!" said Pinkie Pie, jumping around at the very thought of surprising the ponies.

"Great, so it's all settled," said Twilight. "Rainbow Dash, since you can fly and all, I'll hand you three folders. Pinkie Pie and Applejack, you two take the other two."

She was rather surprised with how this was turning out. She had expected them to be a little bit opposing to the idea of working for a society they weren't even in, but here they were taking the folders and slipping out the photos, already attentive and willing to work. It put a smile on her face.

"You three can work that. I need to check with something with the clerk," said Twilight.

Rainbow Dash grunted while Applejack was staring at the address of a pony and Pinkie Pie ran to one of her bags and began opening it.

Twilight opened the door and ran back down to the clerk, who was listening to the radio.

"In other news, the notorious Blank Mare, author of the popular investigative journalist article 'Un-blinding,' has gone missing from her Gaitsville home since possibly this Wednesday. Gaitsville police are still looking for any signs of foul play, although there are no signs to suggest that she left involuntarily and her missing suitcase points to a rather quiet escape."

Twilight stopped. The Blank Mare didn't tell anypony she left? Why would she do that? Was her job too dangerous to tell anypony that she left? Maybe she didn't feel like telling anypony that she wanted to leave, because of her negativity on pony society? These questions filled her head as she walked in front of the clerk.

"How may I help you, ma'am?" he asked as he shut the radio off.

"Yes, I need to check who is residing in room 203 along with my friend, Rainbow Dash."

"Right," the clerk said. He took out the sign-in sheet and looked down.

"Hm, yes, a Miss Twilight Sparkle is in with her. Would that be you by any chance?"

"Yes, that would be," replied Twilight.

"Okay. Would you like me to change your spot?" he asked.

"Yes, please. I would like to switch spots with the Blank Mare."

"Oh, so that's what that spot meant. She just left a mark through the name spot. Let me tell you, I was pretty confused by that. So, that's her? She's actually here?"

"Yes. But please don't mention that to any other pony. I'm sure she wouldn't like the publicity," requested Twilight.

"No worries, ma'am. We have a strict customer privacy rule here. Can't break it if we value our jobs here." The clerk smiled and quickly made a little note to the side of room 203, then flipped to room 312 and made another note.

"Got it, I have you and the Blank Mare switched," he said. "Would you like help in moving your luggage?"

"No thanks, I left mine at the Society's headquarters and I'll move hers on my own," replied Twilight.

"Right. Well, enjoy the rest of your stay in our fair city of Baltimare," concluded the clerk.

"Thank you," said Twilight, as she turned and trotted up the stairs.

As she climbed up to room 312, Twilight reflected on her encounters with the Blank Mare so far. She seemed like a rather normal pony, except her name and the cloak and everything. She probably really hated pony society if she went to all the work of appearing like a mystery figure like that. But, Twilight knew that deep down, the Blank Mare probably wanted to be part of society but just couldn't find a right way yet to do it. She couldn't really explain it, but there was a rather unmistakable air that the Blank Mare had lived without the friendship that was a surrounding part of Twilight's life and was becoming rather sick of it. Twilight would know, considering the fact that she had suffered the same as well: separating herself from the rest of the ponies and attempting to live by herself in a rather secluded career. Her's was researching. The Blank Mare's, investigative journalism. Twilight could just feel that the Blank Mare was ready to break out of her cocoon of isolationism, and whether she knew it or not, whether she actually wanted it or not, the Blank Mare's shelter was going to receive its last crack and fall apart, with a little help from Rainbow Dash.