• Published 15th Jan 2012
  • 3,490 Views, 46 Comments

Two Ponies, One Heart - jdb1984



Spike is trying to figure out his feelings, with help from an unlikely source

  • ...
13
 46
 3,490

Secrets

“Where have you been?” Twilight asked.

“Sorry Twilight. I…felt I needed to clear my head, so I went for a walk. Umm…want anything special for lunch?” he answered.

“Just a sandwich. And because you left without doing your chores, I want you to stay inside for the rest of the day. I may encourage you going out at times, but only when you get your chores done,” she told him.

Spike just sighed, knowing he was in the wrong. After bringing a sandwich to Twilight, he started dusting the bookshelves. Not being a bookworm like Twilight, he pretty much ignored the books he was dusting, until he noticed the title on one of them.

“Dealing with Love Triangles,” Spike said out loud, pulling it off the shelf and looking at it.

“I’ve read that one, mostly out of curiosity,” Twilight mentioned behind him, making him almost jump out of his scales. “So is someone besides Rarity capturing your heart?”

“No! I…I mean yes…uh…I mean…kinda,” he stammered out nervously. The simple sound of her voice made his heart beat a bit faster, and he would be sweating if he wasn’t a dragon. “I…I’ll…be upstairs. You know…if…if you need me.”

Clutching the book, he raced up the stairs and slammed the door shut. Twilight just stared at the door for a moment, before shrugging and turning back to her book.

---
Spike just sat on Twilight’s bed, staring out the window, thinking about what he read. Mostly because all the information he read pretty much boiled down to making a choice, and expecting someone to be heartbroken.

But there was the fact that one was his guardian, and the other was the most beautiful pony he’s ever seen. Also, nopony knew he was probably developing a crush on Twilight except for himself and Applejack. So nopony would really be heartbroken if he did choose Rarity over her, and things would be much like they were.

But if he did go for Twilight instead, there was the chance of breaking Rarity’s heart. He found that unlikely, since there was the fact that she’s shown almost no interest. Sure, he and the others came to save her from the Diamond Dogs, but she had that under control before they got there. He hasn’t totally given up on her, despite these setbacks, and still was hoping she’d come around.

“But how will I feel?” he asked himself. “I have to consider my feelings as well.”

‘Spike?” Twilight said from the other side of the door, cutting into his thoughts. “It’s starting to get a bit late, so I think it’s about time to plan dinner.”

“No problem, Twi. I’ll be right out,” he answered; glad he had something else to focus his mind on for the time being.

---

“So that’s the long and short of it,” Spike told Applejack the next day.

Spike hoped to talk to Applejack more about what he was going through, hoping the pony could offer some insight. Though he trusted his other pony friends, Applejack already knew the most about what was going on, and he didn’t want it spread any further than that. He feared what would happen if Pinkie Pie got wind of it.

“I can’t make yer decisions for you, especially when dealing with the heart,” Applejack answered. “But what I will say is that I know you’ll make the right decision for you. And even when you make a decision, the feelings for the other won’t go away, so ya need to deal with that as well.”

‘Wait, what?” Spike asked, shocked by what he heard. “So even when I figure things out, I’ll still have a crush on both? So how is a decision supposed to help?”

“In most love triangles I heard about, it’s best to pick one and server ties with the other. But you can’t do that with Twilight, since yer her assistant. And Rarity has you doing her gem digging for her after she finds them. Yer going to have to figure out how to deal with these feelings,” Applejack answered standing up. “Big Mac is probably wondering where ah am. But whenever you want to talk, I’ll be here.”

“Well, thanks for the help you could give me,” Spike said, as he left Sweet Apple Acres towards the library.

---
‘Oh, Spike, good timing,” Twilight said, as Spike walked into the door. “I just finished writing a letter for the Princess, and I need you to send it.”

“You wrote one? But I’m usually the one writing them,” Spike replied. "What’s the reason?”

Despite this, he took the parchment in his claw and held it upright. Turning towards an open window, he focused on the familiar magic he learned from years of practice, took a deep breath, and blew out some green flame. The parchment seemed to burn in seconds, as the magic flame made its way towards Canterlot.

“I horn-wrote it because I wanted to get advice from the Princess on a matter I didn’t want you to know about. Even though you’re a great assistant, and a great friend, we all have things that we want to keep to ourselves,” Twilight explained.

“Yeah…a great friend,” Spike thought, as he wandered outside.

He mulled over his decisions over and over, and got no closer to a final one. As he sat at the foot of the tree, he barely noticed the ponies coming and going, barely listened to Rainbow Dash being upset at Twilight for not having the newest Daring Do book that just came out 2 weeks ago. His mind was firmly centered on the decision he needed to make.

“I am never going to get anywhere like this,” He thought, as Celestia brought the sun down to make way for Luna’s moon. “Usually, I’d talk to Twilight if something was bothering me. But she’s the last person I…”

His thoughts were interrupted by a familiar feeling in his gut, and the feeling came up to his mouth, making him instinctively put a claw over it. Knowing it’ll be over soon, he took his claw away, and spit up a rolled up parchment. Probably Celestia’s reply to Twilight’s earlier letter.

As he caught the letter, something suddenly occurred to him. Twilight was unaware the reply has come yet. He could easily break the seal and read it himself, then reseal it later with one of Twilight‘s own seals, and get an answer to what Twilight wrote. He knew that he shouldn’t, whatever Twilight wrote was supposed to stay between her and the Princess. But his curiosity burned, as he stared at the parchment, and the secrets it may contain.