• Published 15th Jan 2012
  • 1,181 Views, 9 Comments

Doctor Whoof and the Elements of Discord - Trickquestion



An enemy of the Doctor has risen, and wields a power that could destroy Equestria

  • ...
1
 9
 1,181

An Unearthly Pony

Chapter 1

It's a bright and sunny day in Ponyville, Celestia's sun illuminating the land from its perch up in the sky. It was a perfect day, the kind on which it seemed nothing could go wrong.

Which, naturally, meant something was about to go horribly wrong.

Unaware of the impending crisis, just like everypony else, the pegasus pony known as Derpy Hooves went about her business, currently purchasing muffins at the grocery store. After pushing her muffin-laden cart to the check out stand, the wonky eyed pony did a double take when she saw who was mareing the cash register.

"Doctor? Is that you?" The mail mare asked. "It can be a little hard to tell sometimes..." she added sheepishly.

"No Derpy, it really is me." Replied the chestnut Earth pony with the hourglass cutie mark behind the counter. Known only to the residents of Ponyville as Doctor Whoof, the stallion was somewhat of a mystery, always poping in and out of the blue in an unpredictable way. Only Derpy and her two daughters knew the truth: The Doctor was an alien Time Pony, who traveled across time and space fighting aliens and monsters.

Derpy (and later her husband, Neighy) had joined the Doctor on his adventures, during which they adopted Sparkler, who had been orphaned by the Daleks, and gave birth to Dinky, who had almost been kidnapped by the Silence. However, after Neighy was killed by Sontarans (in the same attack that left Derpy with her trademark wonky eyes) the mare and her children returned to Equestria, to mourn and, eventually, move on with their lives.

It had been almost four years since then, and Derpy, though she missed her husband every day, has largely managed to move on, consoling herself with the love she recived from her daughters. She did not hold it against the Doctor, for if it hadn't been for him, she and the rest of her family would probably have died as well.

"I'm in the area tracking some Cyber-Stallions. I'm working in a shop while I keep my eyes out. They even gave me a little nametag, so I don't forget who I am!" The Doctor explained while motioning to his nametag, which proudly read "The Doctor". "That has actually happened once or twice."

"Well, it was nice to see you Doctor. Stop on by sometimes and we can reminisce." Derpy said as she paid for the muffins and headed out the door.

"Say hello to Dinky and Sparkler for me!" Doctor Whoof called out.

Saddlebags full of muffins, Derpy trotted towards home, but she stopped suddenly after the sight of a muffin atop a roof entered her eyes. Ironically, had her eyes not been malformed, she wouldn't have noticed it. "FREE MUFFIN!" Derpy exclaimed as she took to the air. Though a resonably intelligent mare, Derpy loses control when confronted with muffins, for she had a great love of the baked good, relating back to when Neighy would take her on dates at the local muffin outlet. During her adventures with the Doctor, she would frequently offer them to whatever manner of alien they would be dealing with that week. Her love of the goods had become slightly obsessive since her husband's death.

After reaching roof level, Derpy ate it in one bite before sighting another one at ground level. Swooping down to consume it too, Derpy saw another, then another, until the path of baked goods lead her to the end of a dark alley. Oblivious to her surroundings, yet realising this would be her last muffin until she got home, Derpy took her time savoring the last one, unaware she was being watched.

"There she is!" An ethereal voice spoke in the mind of a unicorn viewing an unsuspecting Derpy from the dark. The male voice was cold and commanding. "Use the device, just as I have instructed you."

A steel black, cigar shaped object enshrouded in the light pink glow of a unicorn spell moved around in the air, before taking aim at Derpy. After a few seconds of the air remaining still, the voice returned.

"You must not hesitate now! This shall be the begining of our revenge! This is the first step in making the Doctor, and that petulant Twilight Sparkle and her friends, pay for what they have done!"

The glowing intensified as a mechanical humming filled the air. Derpy turned around, her mouth opening to scream, but she was silenced in a flash of light before the day's peace could be disturbed.

A few hours later, Doctor Whoof was placing a broom back in a closet at the groccery store. It was closing time at the Doctor's temporary place of employment, and it was his night to sweep up. Cheerfully humming the Winter Wrap Up song as if he heard it yesterday (which, considering his ability to travel time, he very well might have) he tidied up his station and left the building.

Only a few feet away from the store, Doctor Whoof stopped when he heard his name called. "Hey Doc!" cried his manager. "Some unicorn dropped this off earlier." He informed while dropping a small package, wrapped up in TARDIS blue paper with a red bow on top. "She was pretty cute looking too, you sly dog you." he added while nugging the Doctor in a suggestive manner before walking away.

The Doctor, however, was too astonished to react (with embarrassment, as it would have been) to the manager's allegations. The color of the box matched that of his Time Machine, the TARDIS, perfectly. Whoever sent this knew who he was. Wary but curious, Doctor Whoof slowly undid the wrapping.

He then gasped in horror, recognition, and fear when he saw what was inside.

Within the box, beneath the blue wrapping, was the shrunken, tissue compressed body of Derpy Hooves.

He was returning.