• Published 22nd Dec 2012
  • 479 Views, 2 Comments

My Lily of The Valley - Reedling



Set in the years that followed the Windigo's attack, Damson Elderberry will have to confront his family,and his very nature to understand the truth of his father's plans.

  • ...
 2
 479

Ch II-Contract v.1

“Excuse me, Damson I’m in need of your services.” The words floated out of her so softly, I had reason to second guess her purpose in my store. With my eyes closed, I rambled my scripted spiel.“Welcome dame to the finest fruit wine distributor in all of Equestria! I do not only carry the most aged plum wines, but also have wines from the Grape families! Are you here for a tasting perhaps?” She had already walked behind the register and stared, waiting for my eyes to open. “I require something else fruit brewer.”

I winced as if she had clumsily stepped on one of my hooves as I realized she wasn’t a promising wine connoisseur, but a client with a contract. “A-humhm!” I moaned like a novice. Turning my eyes to one of the empty wine bottles. It had a magic rune inscribed bottom and as I pulled the bottle away, a faint click of an unhinging trap door could be heard. “Which wine of any wine, is the sweetest?” I asked quickly, double checking her intent. “The answer sir? Is surely sure, never any of the cheapest!” She replied correctly. “Come with me then, da-”

“My name is Lily.” She said sharply. I guessed my refined tongue was making her uncomfortable, but it was I who was uncomfortable. I had known her name when I opened my eyes and gazed into hers. Such beautiful eyes, only one from the Lily family could cater my disciplined emotions to relax and reveal me a coy colt. I nudged the bottle back and twisted it counter-clockwise. This sent the ‘open’ sign to ‘closed sorry’ and locked the register. It wasn’t the first time a dissatisfied client had tried to steal what little cash I kept in the drawers, I then lead her into my office. “I heard from the grape vine that you can help me with a time sensitive matter.” Lily resumed. “I’ll need some information before I can be certain dear Lily.” I admitted.

“There are two kings that are about to start a war over land.” Lily added. “ Isn't there always? What seems to be the real problem here Lily...” I poured out a damson, this wine was only five years old, but it contained a special mix of spices and herbs that would lift the simple plum fruit wine into a nirvana to the palette. As I took a sip of my finest product my eyes glanced over to her. She was a soft white in the sunlight, but in the subtle glow of the fireplace she was more a cream colored mare. 'A mare?' I wondered. No she looked as if she was just reaching her marehood, which meant she couldn’t be the Lily, maybe one of Lily’s daughters perhaps? She had a soft green hat which tried its best to hide her silk-like golden locks, some strands had broken free from the hat’s grasp and dangled in wavy curls to mask her right eye. Those eyes, one could see the reflection of never ending oceans in them. They held an unnatural vibrancy to them.

“Are you done ogling me, sir Damson?” She teasingly berated.

'Can you blame me dear Lily? You beauty is one portrayed in folk tales.' I forced back the rest of the glass in a gulp.

“One of the kings is offering a treaty of peace, and if it is not acknowledged by the start of the new season, he will declare war instead.” She continued.

“You still haven't given me the whole picture Lily. I know the Lily family’s first incentive is to be incognito to the crime. But I can tell, you’re related to one of these kings.”

“King Arboreus.”

“Ah, That’s better. Now which king is forcing the treaty or war?”

“King Dusk.”

“An Earth pony king and a Unicorn king...” I smiled.

“My father is not interested in the treaty, in fact last I spoke he actually considered going to war!”

“Where is my part of this Lily? I’m no negotiator.”

“I need you to poison my father.”

“You-really want this treaty.” I lifted a brow for a moment as I scanned her face, she had been planning this for years it seemed. I wasn’t too picky on who was king, but I do admit. I was saddened it was my king. After all King Arboreus was the one to send my foal father to collect the seeds that would give me my business, my family, my purpose.

“When I mean poison... I mean a lethal dose, Damson.” She cleared her throat as she spoke.

“Of course... A lethal dose it is. Will you be paying in gems or the new gold bit?”

“How about ingredients to my poison instead.”

I wasn’t sure what this Lily was trying to do, I couldn’t accept these ingredients, if my foal father found out.

"Now before those wheels in your head start turning. Let me explain the value of what I am giving. I love my father, I love his flaws and I cherish his guidance. I don’t want him to die, but his actions are blinded by hate for the other kingdom, hate that shouldn’t be there. I want him to pass swiftly, but not so fast it strikes ponies to question. I have in my saddle a mix of red maple leaves, yew leaves and acorn pits. I need you to brew these into a small bottle of wine, and I will serve it to him.”

She really had been planning this for far too long, she puzzled me greatly, and this excited my urge to help her. But she was one of Flora’s, ponies I was expected never to help, or care for. Her ambition reminded me of a filly I knew in my youth, one I would do anything for. “Lily, This whole contract.. .are you doing this so you can be with somepony you love?” My eyes glanced back to her after peering out the window for a moment. “How-Yes, it is Damson.” Her cheeks blushed wildly. “Then he is a lucky one, for you to fight for him so bravely.” I smiled. “I accept your conditions, as long as they do not change. It will be worth it in the end to have to kingdom united, and a happy queen and king to rule. If we’re lucky you might even unite the Unicorn and Earth-pony tribes.” I added.