• Published 11th Dec 2012
  • 1,548 Views, 27 Comments

Friendship is Power: The Nightmare Returns - Aiyonbeam



When a freak magical mishap occurs during the Summer Sun Celebration, Ponyville - no, all of Equestria - will change forever!

  • ...
10
 27
 1,548

Chapter 19: Recoveries And Renegades

Vinyl

...'s been three days now! How long do...
...elax. Cadan...
...know, but still! What's so bad that...
...iss Melody, please calm yourself. I do believe Miss Scratch is coming to.
My eyes shoot open, and I rocket upright.
Big mistake.
My vision flashes red as an immense, searing pain envelops me, pounding at me from everywhere.
!!!!!!!!!!!!
The thoughts of my friends swim in my head as I screw my eyes shut, trying to find some way to make the pain stop.
..GAH! W-What's...
She's transmitting her p...
...ll how do we make her s...
...e can't! Not without hur...
...st close your minds! We're only experiencing th...
Suddenly their presences leave me, the tastes of their consciousnesses disappearing one by one. Grapes, apples, cherries, and chocolate, until...
T-Tavi...
Vinyl! Don't! Save your energy! Listen carefully: Lay back down.
I slowly slump back to my position on the bed I'm lying on, and the searing pain is reduced to a dull, pressing ache.
Better?
I-It h-hurts... A-A l-lot...
Don't worry. It'll all be okay.
A voice, faint but still there, makes its way to my ears.
"Listen, Vinyl. I know this must be hard for you, but please try not to think too loudly. Everyone else on the mental link is feeling your pain."
T-Time Turner? W-When did he get here? F-For that matter, where-
"Ponyville Urgent Care." Octavia's voice answers. "We got you here as fast as we could."
"Please, Vinyl..." Time Turner says. "Just... Close yourself off."
"Time Turner!" Octavia says. "She's in intense pain and all you can think about is the mental link?"
"Octavia-."
"No. She's the one that matters right now. You and the others can get along talking physically. If being active mentally makes Vinyl more comfortable, then her needs come first."
"You just want her to keep broadcasting her thoughts so she can talk to you." Time Turner says. "I understand that this is the first time in days that you've been able to talk to her, but that's no reason to get angry at us."
D-Days?
"Yes." Octavia answers. "You've been out for three days now. Cadance has been tending to you almost non-stop since your injury."
"Speaking of which," a soft voice echoes from further away. "Could you please let me get back to her? I'll tell you how things are progressing as they happen."
"C-Cada..."
"Yes, Vinyl." the voice says as the sound of footsteps fades, culminating in the noise of a shutting door. "It's me, Cadance."
"G-Give it... to me straight, doc..." I say. "H-How bad... Is it?"
"Not very, actually. The cut's very shallow, but it's very long, and in the entire three days, it hasn't healed a bit."
"I-It hasn't?"
"Not at all, although it's stopped bleeding, so you don't need to worry about that. We think there was something special about the blade you were hit with. Twilight and Trixie have been analyzing it all day. They should have results by nightfall."
"T-That's... Good..."
"You should get some more rest." Cadance says. "I'll tell you more in the morning."
"R-Rest sounds... Good..."
The pain starts to fade as I drift off to sleep...

...nyl...
Vinyl...
Vinyl.
Vinyl!
VINYL!
H-Huh?
Vinyl. I know what's wrong with you, and I can help. But you need to listen to me.
W-Who are you?
It's me, Trixie. Listen. I need you to leave your body.
T-Trixie? How'd you get in my mind? A-And why do you taste like-
Vinyl Scratch, if you do not leave your body, you will be dead within minutes! Do you understand me!? Do you comprehend what I'm saying to you? LEAVE YOUR BODY RIGHT NOW!
I concentrate, and focus on detaching my self from myself...
After a minute, I feel the semi-familiar sensation of floating as I look down on my body, pale and sickly, lying on a hospital bed. Trixie and Cadance are standing over me, both with worried looks on their faces.
Good. You're out. Now we can fix you.
What's going on? Why did I need to leave?
The blade you were cut with was enchanted with a very devious spell. Any wound inflicted with it not only won't heal, but it'll slowly drain the victim's life energy to keep itself open until there's nothing there. The most insidious thing about it, though, is that the more you try and heal it, the faster it drains the victim's life. However, now that you've left, there's no life force to drain, and the wound can be healed.
F-Figures Chrysalis'd use something like that. I'm just glad she's gone.
About that...
Wait...
Apparently, the old Elements of Harmony can't kill. They can only contain. So yes, Chrysalis has been dealt with, but...
She'll g-get out eventually.
And we'll be ready. Speaking of, your body should be back to normal within a week.
A week? You mean I have to stay like this for an entire week?
Yes, unfortunately. There's no other way to go about it. You can still move around, though, and you can talk to anyone who can communicate mentally.
I sigh inwardly, and resign myself to a week of floating and thinking...

The Next Evening

As the sun sets, my mind is greeted with the taste of chocolate as I float protectively over my body.
H-Hey, Time Turner.
Hello, Vinyl. Trixie's filled us in on what you're going through. I'm sorry...
Don't be. It's actually not too bad. At least I'm not in pain anymore.
Yeah... So, I've been thinking.
When have y-you not?
So, that cut was draining your life force, but now that you've left your body, your life force is gone. So does that mean you're dead?
You know... Technically, yes. I'm a ghost right now, just waiting for my body to be patched up.
Interesting.
I g-guess it is.
Why are you stuttering?
Stuttering? I'm not stuttering.
You were just a second ago.
I-I'm pretty sure I'd recognize if I were stuttering.
See? There! You just did it.
Did what?
You just stuttered. It's weird; you seem to do it every other time you talk.
N-No I-
Vinyl...
Okay, fine. I have no idea how it started or how to stop, I just know that for some reason, I stutter. Is that a bad thing?
No. It might just be a nervous tic.
B-But what if it i-isn't? Oh gosh, it's h-happening again! H-How do I stop? W-What if I'm g-going crazy? W-What i-if this is the f-first sign that I-I'm losing it? What'll T-Tavi think? W-What'll happen to E-Equestria? I-I-
Vinyl.
Y-Yeah? GAH!
Calm down. You've just proven it's a nervous tic. It's nothing to worry about. Just let it pass naturally. You know, I used to count in my head whenever I got nervous.
Really?
Yeah. It actually helped my get my cutie mark. After counting so long, I was able to keep track of time anywhere and in any situation.
W-Well, at least your tic helped you in the end. All mine'll ever do is make me sound stupid.
Don't worry. It's not like any of us are going to judge you for it-
Suddenly, the taste of chocolate fades until it's almost gone.
Time Turner?
...tta go. Get some rest, Vinyl. We can talk more tomorrow morning.
The chocolaty taste fades completely, and I am left floating in the hospital room, alone save for the slight scent of licorice floating in my mind as it has for the past day, a sure sign that Tavi's there with me.
...But I don't need to sleep. And it's only six. Tavi, I'm going on a w-walk.
A walk?
Okay fine, miss technicality. I'm going on a float. I wanna visit the studio, see how it's been after six months.
It's a long way to Canterlot...
I... I w-wanna go. If anything, I just wanna listen to some of my music. It helps calm me down whenever I'm nervous or afraid.
Are you?
Just a little. I've never been outside my body for this long. It feels so trippy. I can feel magic floating all round me, but when I try and use it, it leaves. Maybe I'll compose something in my spare time. It'll help take my mind off of my... condition.
All right. But I'm going with you. You'll need some link to the physical world, someone to move things for you.
All right. I'll go s-see what I can find in the way of train tickets.
I float through the wall of the hospital and head to the train station. From Tavi's end of the mental link, I can just barely pick out some voices...
"...And you just agreed to it!? Without telling any of us? Without asking permission? Just, 'Hey, Vinyl's ghost and I are going to Canterlot through the c..."
"Yes." Tavia's voice says. "She'll be much safer away from here, and she'll be distracted by her music. A week will have passed before she knows it, and by then, we'll have taken care of it, and even if we haven't, she'll..."
"Still! You could have at least told us! Where is she now?"
"Getting train tickets."
"Getting what!? Are you out of your mind, Octavia!? What if she..."
"She won't."
"You don't know that! All it'll take is one c..."
"Look. I can handle things, all right? Besides, even if - and that's a big if - she finds out, what then?"
"We can't risk her trying to h..."
"I can understand that, but that's the beauty of my plan. If she finds out when we get to Canterlot, by the time she..."
"You're taking a lot of risks, Octavia. A lot."
"I know. And I'm prepared to take responsibility for what may happen as a result of this. But she needs something, Twilight, or else she'll get curious and find out."
"I guess... I'll inform the Princess of your arrival."
"Thank you."

Later

As I read the prices for tickets, my mind whirls with possibilities...
What's so bad that the others won't tell me about it?
What?
I-It's nothing. Just an idle thought.
Are there any trains going to Canterlot?
Yeah. One leaves tomorrow morning.
Good. Come back to the hospital and get some sleep. Before you know it, it'll be tomorrow, and we'll be heading home.
But I don't n-need-
The scent of licorice fades as Octavia drifts off to sleep.
Sleep. Why does nobody listen?
After everyone else has gone to bed, I float through the wall of the hospital and around town, listening for anything unusual.
Something's up, and I'm gonna f-find out what if it kills me! Again!
After a little bit of searching, I can hear voices floating from Sugar Cube Corner. I float through the wall and am shocked to see Octavia, Time Turner, Shining Armor, Luna, Twilight, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Trixie sitting around a table in the main room, a large cake and a map prominently displayed on it.
But they're in bed! I just saw them! What are they doing here?
"Now that our typical friendly repartee is over, time to get down to business." Octavia says. "Shining Armor, are there any new reports from the scouts?"
"Yes." he answers, gesturing to places on the map with his finger. "There are three camps, here, here, and here. They aren't too far out, and from the reports, two of them are fairly small, while the third is considerably larger. All in all, tonight's mission should be relatively easy."
"All right." Luna says. "Shining Armor, you shall go with Pinkie Pie, Trixie, and Twilight. I shall go with Octavia, Time Turner, and Fluttershy. We will meet at the third camp, giving the signal when we get there and every minute afterwards."
"Whee! Let's go!" Pinkie Pie says. "Changeling Relocation Squad, move out!"
Changeling W-WHAT now!?
As they leave the shop single file and split into two groups, Twilight turns around and looks back at the shop. Her eyes scan the empty air and come to rest right on me. Her necklace starts glowing, and her eyes widen for a second before narrowing.
"Coming, Twilight?" Trixie calls.
"Yeah." she replies, sighing in resignation and muttering something to herself as she leaves that I can only just make out...
"Octavia's gonna hear about this from either of us, make no mistake..."
Could she... see me?
I shrug the thought off as I follow Twilight out the door.
"I need to make sure Vinyl's okay." Octavia says, pausing for a bit before rejoining Luna, Time Turner, and Fluttershy
I shouldn't b-be so paranoid. Nobody can see me. I'm a ghost.
The scent of licorice fills my mind, and I prepare to confront my friend about what's going on.
Hey, Vinyl. a sleepy voice calls. You awake?
Octavia Melody. I have words for you. Strong words.
Huh?
First of all: I don't need to sleep.
Y-You don't?
Now who's stuttering? Second of all: What the CRAP do you think you're doing?
W-Whatever do you mean? I just woke up, and I'm getting a drink. That's all. After that, I'm going back to bed.
Really?
Truly.
Okay then. Sorry for getting so mad at you. Now all I have to do is warn the others that a bunch of changelings are going around as you, Luna, Time Turner, Shining Armor, Pinkie Pie, Trixie, and Twilight, and are calling themselves the Changeling Relocation Squad. I mean, how weird of an idea can you get? They're obviously fakes, as the real versions of you are in bed. Right?
I can almost taste the panic in Octavia's thoughts as my accusations hit her psyche like a bag of bowling balls.
Right, Tavi? The people I'm watching walk into the Everfree Forest right now are obviously changelings. You wouldn't, say, lie to me, or have secret talks with people about 'distracting' me while I'm at Canterlot, would you?
...
Well, would you?
...
Tavi, this isn't a rhetorical question. Answer me. Now.
...
Tavi...
I'm sorry, Vinyl! Honestly, I am! I wanted to tell you! I really did, but-
'But' what? What could be so bad that you have to keep it a secret from me? I tell you everything, Tavi! EVERYTHING! I can't believe you would just lie to me like this! Why?
Listen, Vinyl, please! I can seriously explain.
You'd better.
"What's wrong, Octavia?" Time Turner asks. "You look troubled."
"I-It's nothing..." she replies. "R-Really..."
Time Turner frowns for a bit as the scent of chocolate fades into my brain.
Et tu, Time Turner?
Vinyl? What are you doing up at this hour? You should be-
News flash, smart guy: Sleep is for the living!
Oh.
...Time Turner, it's over.
...OH.
Indeed.
But how? Luna made sure that-
Luna did what, exactly?
She did something.
Time Turner, please... Tell me.
Fine. You wanna know? You wanna know!? Fine! I'm done keeping secrets! Luna can make clones out of people's shadows, okay!? Is that what you wanted to know!?
Honestly, Time Turner! Why not just go and tell her everything! Like that Cadance is killing every changeling she can get her hands on? Or that we're helping them get out of Equestria alive before she catches up to them? Or that Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash have gone genocidal too, and are trying to stop them at every opportunity!?
My brain shuts down for a second. When I manage to get what was left of my mind on its feet again, I make what is perhaps my most eloquent query yet:
I- But you- and Time Turner- and Trixie- and Twi...
...
...
Silence.
Time Turner?
Yes?
We screwed up.
Bigtime.
Vinyl...
...
Vinyl?
What is this?
Vinyl...
What IS this!?
Vinyl.
What is my life!?
Vinyl, please-
No! I'm done! I'm done! I can't do this any more! I can't! All this "Elements", and "magic", and "cloning", and "changelings", and... I-I just can't, Tavi! I wanna go back! I wanna go back to when I was a magical talking pony in a magical land and I made dubstep and you played the cello and things were RIGHT! I wanna go back to when saving the world wasn't up to me and people weren't murderers and I lived in a house with you and we were best friends and I'm not a ghost and I can't clone myself or talk with my mind or pull any shark-jumping Deus Ex Machina out of nowhere and, and... and...
Vinyl, please...
I don't wanna be a human any more, Tavi. I wanna be me.
I'm sorry, Vinyl. It was wrong of me to lie to you. It's hard to keep a secret, especially from a friend.
I'm going back to the hospital now. I'm going to lay down next to my body, and I'm going to close my eyes, and I'm going to pretend to dream until I can go back to being me again.
Vinyl-
Tavi... Thanks for telling me. But... Right now, I just need some space. I need to think. I'm going to bed.
But you don't need to-
I don't care. I'm going to sleep.
As I float slowly towards the hospital, my mind still struggling to process what's going on, one thing hits me.
Throughout that entire exchange... The confrontation... That rant...
I float down to my body and lay on the bed next to it.
I didn't stutter.
That one thought echoes throughout my brain, bouncing around in my head until it's all I can think about.
Not once. Not a single time. 'Nervous tic', my foot! Ha! Hahaha!
My forced laughter turns into real, genuine laughter until I can't stop myself.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Vinyl, what's going on?
I'm going crazy. This! This is the thing that makes me snap? Not the freaky shadow powers? Not the changeling attack? Not the fact that I've actually been INSIDE OF ANOTHER PERSON'S BODY? This! The fact that half the people I know are killers, and the other half are protecting more killers? This should be par for the course! But no! I have to go crazy over this? It's hilarious! Look how hard I'm laughing! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Vinyl-
I need to get back to my body. It's messing with my head, being like this. Half of the time I don't even know what I'm saying. I need to go back.
You can't! You can't try and help! This is exactly what Twilight predicted.
Oh, so now Twilight's clairvoyant? Cool! Let me get out my checklist of crazy things that've happened and write this down!
I-I'm honestly at a loss here. What do I do? Time Turner, please, help me! I can't let her go back, or her wound's going to start killing her again. But on the other hand, she's going mad the longer she stays like this!
I don't know. What would you do if you were in her place? Would you act any differently?
Of course! I'd-
...Octavia?
That's IT! You're a genius! All she needs is to be in a body again, so what if...
From Time Turner's end of the mental link, I can hear shouts of surprise as something happens.
Listen, Vinyl. Come to the Everfree Forest. I'm sending you the directions now. Go inside my body, and do not say a WORD of what's happened here or they'll find out. Okay?
Images fill my head of a path leading from the outskirts of town to a clearing in the woods...
I start floating as fast as I can towards the forest.

Fluttershy

"She's not hurt." I say, looking up from Octavia as she lies sprawled on the ground. "Not even a bruise, although I have no idea what happened to make her pass out."
"OW! That wasn't supposed to hurt! Why did it hurt? And why do I feel... Buzzy?" Octavia mumbles, picking herself up off of the ground. She turns to me and smiles reassuringly. "I-I'm fine, really. Just... Exhausted is all."
"Then go back and get some rest." Fluttershy says. "You're certainly not doing yourself any favors by going with us every night."
"No." she replies. "I need to go. I need to help! I need to do something. Anything."
"Octavia, you're in no condition to do anything. I can't let you go with us. You need to get some rest."
"But-"
"No buts. Look at you! You're staying up all night worrying about Vinyl, not to mention going out and helping us. When's the last time you've slept?"
She pauses for a second.
"Three days ago. So what?"
"Go. Now. No excuses. Get some sleep."
Octavia looks up at the clouds gathering in the night sky, then at Time Turner, mouthing the word 'please' to him. He sighs.
"I'll take her back." he says, walking over to Octavia and putting a hand on her shoulder. "You really should be getting some rest, you know."
"I guess." Octavia says as they walk away.
There is a pause.
"Can we do this with only two people?" I ask. "Especially now that our insurance policy's gone?"
"We'll just have to wait until he gets back." Luna says.
After five or so minutes, Time Turner walks into view.
"She's resting." he says flatly. "Shall we get going?"
"We shall." Luna replies, leading the way through the undergrowth until we come to a clearing. A small, green fire burns in the middle of the gap in the trees, seven forms huddled around it.
"H-Hello?" I ask.
The forms jump to their feet and draw their swords.
"Intruder!" one yells.
"No! We're not here to hurt you!" Time Turner says. "We're here to-"
A changeling rushes at him, sword held high, swinging at Time Turner with erratic, slow, desperate slashes.
"Let it be known that I do not want to do this." Time Turner says, dodging the wild blows with obvious ease. "However, you've forced my hand, and I can't really do anything else to make you stop and listen to me, so..."
The clouds gather overhead, and Time Turner flies up to them, spreading out his arms.
Seven bolts of lightning strike the changelings, electricity coursing through their bodies and into the ground, keeping them paralyzed.
"There." he says. "It doesn't hurt, does it? I hope it doesn't. I wouldn't want to cause you any more discomfort than I have to."
The changelings just stand there, glaring at him.
"Listen." he says. "There are people here - very close by, actually - that want you dead. They would love nothing more than to see your blood running in emerald rivers through the streets of Ponyville."
He turns to one of the changelings and taps him on the shoulder, redirecting the electricity through him and into the ground.The changeling falls to the earth, stunned.
"Luckily for you, there are people - people like me and my friends - who just want this to be over with. And we're willing to help you leave here safely if it means putting this whole thing behind us. What do you say?"
Time Turner offers his hand to the changeling, helping it up and brushing it off.
"We will go, Stormbringer." the changeling says. "If we go in peace."
"Luna." Time Turner says, going to the next changeling and freeing him. "Please bring our friends here a map."
"This will help you navigate the forest to wherever you will." she says, walking to the changeling and giving him a blue scroll tied with a white ribbon.
"Many thanks, Nightguard." the changeling says, taking the map and examining it. "Very well crafted."
"Thank you. I made it myself."
As the other changelings gather around the first, we start walking towards the location of the third camp.
"I'm glad they decided to leave peacefully." I say. "Who knows what would have happened if they'd fought?"
"I'm glad we don't." Time Turner says, smiling. "Ah, here's the third camp."
I peer through the trees and see a large clearing, with multiple fires burning atop a small hill in the center.
"Shining Armor wasn't kidding: it is rather large." Luna says. "Now all that's left is to wait for the signal."
Soon, a small globe of purple light appears in front of us, dancing a figure-eight before disappearing.
"That's it." Time Turner says. "Time to go."
We step into the clearing and see the second group come in from the other side. The changelings look up from their fires and grab their weapons.
"Wait!" I yell. "We're here to help you!"
The changelings slow their advance, looking at us with veiled hatred mixed with curiosity.
"All we want is for you to leave here safely and without violence." Shining Armor says, slowly approaching the lead changeling. "We even have maps and some provisions for you to help you get to wherever you need to go. We don't want any trouble."
A sudden shadow falls over the group, and I look up to see the clouds gathering above the clearing.
"Just making sure." Time Turner whispers. "If things get hairy, I might be able to stop them. Might."
Shining Armor reaches the lead changelings and outstretches an arm.
"What do you say?"
"I say..." the changeling says, scowling. "That we will fight! For the glory of our Queen!"
"For glory!" the others yell.
"Well, that makes things more complicated." Shining Armor says, dodging the lead changeling as it attacks him. "Listen! Killing us won't bring you any good! We will be missed, you will be found, and you will be killed! Just go now, before you do something you'll end up regretting!"
"I would say the same to you, Crystal Knight!"
The one-sided fight continues until the changeling, in a fit of desperation, kicks at Shining Armor's feet, sending him toppling to the ground. The changeling stabs at him...
And Octavia intercepts the blow, the sword piercing her gut.
"I knew following you guys was a good idea." she says, before falling to the ground.
"What were you thinking!?" Time Turner yells. "Now look at-"
He stops in stunned silence as Octavia slowly dissolves into wisps of blackness.
"Huh?" he asks.
"Now look what you've done!" Octavia's voice rings out from seemingly everywhere at once. "We gave you literally every possible chance to leave peacefully and what do you do? You kill an innocent in cold blood!"
Another Octavia appears in front of the unfortunate changeling.
"I'm sorry. I am so, so sorry..."
She pulls put the bow of her cello and it is instantly enveloped in black flames, stretching out into a swordlike outline.
"But you brought this on yourselves."
With one slice, she cuts the changeling's sword in half.
With the next one, she cuts the changeling in half.
"Now I'm giving the rest of you - even though heaven knows you don't deserve it - one. Last. Chance. My advice: Take it, and leave. Nobody gets hurt, you get to live on wherever you want, and the rest of Equestria is none the wiser. But I promise you right now that as long as you try to hurt my friends, I will fight you, and I will win."
She turns to us, and gives us a small smile.
"I can't speak for the others, but it's a good bet they feel the same way. So leave. Leave now, and don't come back."
There is a long pause as Octavia and the changelings stare down each other.
Then one changeling breaks off from the rest and walks towards her.
"I will go." he says. "Give me a map, and I will depart in peace."
Octavia looks over at Luna and her maps, and a black aura envelops one, levitating them towards her.
"Wait..." she mumbles. "I was doing that without magic?"
Octavia grabs the map out of the air and gives it to the changeling.
"You made the right decision." she says. "And if any changeling starts giving you a hard time because of it, you come talk to me, and I'll make sure they understand how brave you are."
"Thank you." the changeling says before walking off, reading the map intently.
Two more changelings step forward, and Octavia smiles.
"All it takes is one person." she says quietly. "Luna, I'll need all of your maps."
Luna walks over to Octavia, shooting her a pointed glance, which she ignores.
As more and more changelings step forward, the pile of maps begins to grow smaller and smaller until the last changeling takes the last map, slowly walking out of the clearing, leaving Octavia standing alone next to a bifurcated changeling.
"Wow." Twilight says. "I wondered exactly what'd happen if-"
"Not right now, Twilight." Octavia says, cutting her off with a pointed glance. "I'll talk to you about it later, okay?"
"Fine. But you're still in huge trouble."
Octavia reaches for her face before stopping herself and shaking her head, grinning. "When am I not? Let's get back to Ponyville. Ta- Vinyl's waiting."
Shining Armor gets to his feet, and we all start walking towards Ponyville.
"Crap. I have to go. Something's up with Vinyl." Octavia says, ducking behind a tree.
"Octavia-" I say, looking behind a tree, but I stop once I see that she's gone.
"Where'd she go?" I ask.

Vinyl

Get back here. RIGHT NOW.
Geez. Save your friends from angry changelings ONE TIME, and suddenly people get ticked at you.
This is NOT okay, Vinyl. Just because I offered you a TEMPORARY solution to your problem does not mean you can take my body for a joyride!
Oh, come on! You're overreacting! It would've gone much worse if I hadn't stepped in and saved everyone! And look! Your bow's okay! Not one scratch! I didn't even dent the varnish. Man, the changelings need to get some stronger steel.
Vinyl, you could have died!
I had the entire situation under control! Heck, that wasn't even the real me that went down there! If the changelings decided to fight even after I cut their leader in half, then I would've come in with the rest of my clones and helped fight them off. You're overreacting.
Overreacting or not, the others still saw you teleport! There'll be questions! People will find out what I did!
And I'll tell them that it was my idea because you're my friend! Besides, what're they gonna do? Technically, I'm dead! It'll take six more days for my body to heal up, and by then, they'll have calmed down. Even if they haven't, I'll still accept whatever punishment they can dredge up for me, although there won't be any because I saved their lives just now.
I can't let you do that. I told Twilight I'd be responsible for you.
Yes. Yes you did.
Speaking of Twilight...
First things first: Vinyl, get out of Octavia. Now.
I can't go back to that, Twilight! I'll go crazy just like before! I need to be in here!
Like before?
I actually, genuinely snapped, Twilight. As in, off-the-wall, lost-my-marbles insane. I don't want that to happen again.
And that was after a day of being out of your body?
Yeah.
Interesting. Now, Vinyl, listen for a sec: If you, who is the most experienced out of all of us at astral projection, went crazy after only a day, what do you think's going to happen to Octavia?
...
Exactly. Now please, just get out of her body and let her back in so we can talk, okay?
Okay.
I concentrate, and leave Tavi, floating above her as she slumps down onto the floor of the hospital room I'd teleported to.
After a few seconds, Tavi gets up and checks her cello and bow, looking over them for any damage.
See? Unharmed.
You're lucky it isn't, otherwise you'd be paying for repairs.
All right, now that that's all settled, WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU TWO THINKING!?
Ouch. If I had ears, they'd be bleeding right now. Could ya maybe tone down the volume?
I WILL NOT TONE DOWN THE VOLUME! YOU COULD'VE GOTTEN US ALL KILLED BACK THERE, VINYL! ALL OF US! DO YOU EVER, EVEN ONCE, THINK THINGS THROUGH? DO YOU?
Oh, Twilight. You haven't been around me long enough to realize that I'm only reckless when I think.
It's kind of true. Although that doesn't make what I've done any less of a problem. I'm sorry, Twilight.
It isn't YOUR fault, Octavia. You were simply helping her out. As for you, however: you are in so much trouble! Granted, you may have saved us from the changelings, but you killed one of them! In col-
Twilight, I'mma let you finish, but I know what you're gonna say. It wasn't in 'cold blood'. I was defending your brother!
Sill, that's no excuse to go rushing in like that and-
Okay. I'm sorry, Twilight. It was irresponsible and reckless. I shouldn't have jumped in without thinking, and I'll try and do better in the future. Now can you please just drop it?
...Fine. Now, as for what to do about your mental health...
I have an idea...

The Next Morning

Aight. Here's the plan: I'm gonna go crazy if I stay like this for too long, and I'm kinda stuck outside my body. So Twilight and I have worked out a schedule: Each one of you guys will switch off being ghosts while I use your bodies for a bit. I know that you guys probably won't be able to hold on to yourselves for as long as I'll be able to, so the shifts are about half a day long. Any questions?
Yeah. Do we get a say in any of this?
Of course you do. I'm not gonna force any of you to give up your bodies for half a day. But try and put yourself in my situation: would you do anything differently?
Silence.
I guess not. All right. Who's up first?
I am. This should be an interesting experiment.

Later

I sit in the Golden Oaks library, reading through a magical handbook, learning new spells and techniques that I can do with my magic. As I finish the tome, I put it down on top of a growing pile of books I've read and pick up another one from the pile of books I've yet to read.
Why didn't you tell me reading was this fun?
I thought everyone knew.
Wait. Do you have books about music?
Of course. They're in the Music section just over there.
I teleport to the Music section, grab several books about electronic music, and teleport back to the comfy reading chair.
Let's see here... 'Electronic Artists Of Canterlot'... I wonder if I'm in it.
I open the book to the table of contents and look in the V section. Nothing.
Huh. Maybe I'm in the D's.
I look through the colossal D section and find my stage name.
DJ Polearm... DJ Poleaxe - wonder if the two know each other - DJ Polio... Man these are some weird names. Aha! DJ PON-3! Here I am! "At home behind her turnable, DJ PON-3 is known for her amazing beats and trademark sunglasses. One of the first ponies to enter the electronic scene after famous artist Savant dropped off the face of Equestria, DJ PON-3, known in real life as Vinyl Scratch, began her career as a simple disk jockey employed at the now famous Heavy Beats nightclub in East Canterlot..."
Vinyl...
"...fter her recent appearance as part of a collaboration effort with another famous DJ, Neon Lights." Man, this is really up-to-date. What edition is this? First? Fifth?
Vinyl!
Man, I wonder how Neon's been getting along. I kinda miss playing alongside him. Maybe I should call him up sometime.
VINYL!
Whoa! No need to yell, Twilight. What?
I'm sorry, but time's up. Octavia's next.
Aww. I was close to the end of my article, too. All right. Where is she?
I'm at the hospital, overseeing your recovery and making sure Cadance doesn't suspect anything of our little escapade last night.
Right. I'm en route.

The Next Day

Oh no. Oh, sweet mercy no. This is beyond bad. This is horrible in every sense of the word imaginable. What will become of us? What'll she do with us?
Nothing.
Quiet, Vinyl. I'm busy panicking.
Oh, come on. So what if Cadance knows?
So what? SO WHAT? Vinyl, you don't just shrug off something like this and say 'so what?' She's going to kill us!
Wow. I knew you could overreact, but never like this, Tavi. Calm down. Take deep breaths, and THINK. Please. It's kind of your job to think for both of us. I'm not used to doing it.
All right. I am calm. I am cool, collected, and in control. Cadance knows. What will happen as a result of this.
Anger, feelings of betrayal, and a small falling-out between her, Shining Armor and Twilight.
Vinyl, all that's already happened.
And guess who called it?
Nobody.
Exactly! Now, what happens next? They'll make up. That is an immutable fact that can not be changed by anything. The only question is: Which one's going to compromise, the one bent on genocide or the one who wants one of our enemies to live in peace?
Which one is worse?
...
...
I really hope Cadance caves.
As do I.