• Published 11th Dec 2012
  • 1,548 Views, 27 Comments

Friendship is Power: The Nightmare Returns - Aiyonbeam



When a freak magical mishap occurs during the Summer Sun Celebration, Ponyville - no, all of Equestria - will change forever!

  • ...
10
 27
 1,548

Chapter 12: Light...

One Week Earlier

"What are we looking at, Octavia?" Celestia asked, gesturing towards a crystal door set into the wall.
"A door; but by the looks of it it isn't an ordinary door." I say, stepping towards it to gain a closer look.
"I wouldn't do that quite yet, Octavia." Celestia said, putting an arm out to stop me. "You see, you're right. This door is no ordinary door. It can only be opened with magic. Twilight found it in the Crystal Empire and I had it brought here for safekeeping."
"What's so special about it?" I asked.
"This door is actually responsive to two different kinds of magic." she explained, stepping towards the door and facing it.
"When Sombra's magic - dark magic born of hatred and fear - comes into contact with the door, it leads to a very... interesting place."
"I take it I'm supposed to explore this place?" I asked.
"Exactly."
The crystal around Celestia's neck grew dark, and a beam of purple, green, and black light shot out from the crystal and hit a crystal just above the door.
"Get ready; You're about to know more about this place than even I do."
"I'm ready." I said, grabbing the doorknob and opening the door.

I stepped through the door into the communal training room. The others were there, all standing around Vinyl.
"Are you sure about this, guys?" Vinyl asked, glancing nervously around at the faces of the others.
"Of course we're sure." Applebloom said. "If you're as tough as you say, takin' on the four of us at once shouldn't be a problem."
"Besides, if things get too hot too handle you can always just wimp out and teleport away." Scootaloo said.
"Speaking of which..." Sweetie Belle says before turning to face me. "You can't be allowed to help her."
Ice forms around my arms and legs, freezing them in place and preventing me from moving.
"What are you guys doing?" I ask. "What's going on? Let me out!"
"Oh, be quiet." Time Turner says. "We're just training is all. What, is poor baby Octavia scared Vinyl can't hold her own in a fight?"
Vinyl's fist slams into Time Turner's face, snapping his head to the side and making him stumble back.
"Training or not, nobody talks about me or Tavi that way!" she says. "If it's a fight you want, it's a fight you'll get."
Ice envelops my mouth to prevent me from speaking further as the fight begins. At first Vinyl is doing well, managing to hold off the four of them. Then Time Turner strikes Vinyl and electricity courses into her, paralyzing her.
I struggle against the ice, but I can't get it to budge. I struggle even harder, but my limbs are starting to go numb from the cold, and I eventually stop.
"I thought... you said... we couldn't use... our Elements!" Vinyl says through the paralysis.
"I did, didn't I?" Time Turner stops and nods at the others. "Oh well. I guess I lied."
Ice forms around Vinyl, trapping her. I can see her struggling to break free.
"Hey, this isn't fair! Let me out of here!" she says.
Scootaloo creates a fireball in her hand that slowly starts growing as she walks towards Vinyl, a grin on her face.
"Oh, it was never supposed to be fair." Applebloom says, creating an earth spike and walking towards Vinyl at the same pace.
Why is this happening? What's going on? Did Discord come back? Why are they all acting like this?
Time Turner's hands crackle with lightning, and he readies himself to hit Vinyl right in the heart.
I try to scream in protest, but my mouth is covered.
"Hey! What're you guys doing!? That's way too strong for training! Are you trying to kill me!?"
"What took you so long to find out?" they all say.
Then they attack.

I can't tell what hits Vinyl first, the strike that stops her heart, the spike that pierces it, or the fireball that blasts her free of the ice to land at my feet.

She's dead! She's dead and I couldn't do anything! I promised...
I collapse onto the ground as the ice cracks, freeing me. Tears flow from my eyes as I cradle my dead friend's body in my arms.
I can hear laughing in front of me. I look up to see Scootaloo, Time Turner, Applebloom, and Sweetie Belle, all apparently finding this hilarious.
"You just killed her!" I yell, dropping Vinyl gently to the ground and getting to my feet. "You killed her for no reason! She thought she could trust you! I thought I could trust you and you just killed her!"
A strange white glow starts swirling around me as I stare them all down.
"We thought you were our friends! We thought you were good people and you killed her! We trusted you and now she's dead! She's DEAD!"
The whiteness starts swirling closer, rising to envelop my feet, my waist, my stomach, until I'm completely covered in it, the light swirling around me, mimicking my shape, forming armor almost like a second skin.
I raise my right arm, and a bow appears in my hand. The light fills my vision until there is nothing else...
"Octavia!"

I'm back in the room with Celestia, who is shaking my shoulders, an urgent look on her face.
"What did you see in there?" she asks, looking down at my feet. A white aura swirls around them, glowing intensely in the otherwise dimly-lit room.
"What happened? Vinyl... Is she okay? Did I end up..."
My voice trails off as I realize just what I'd been about to do.
"End up what?" Celestia says. "Please just try and calm down and get yourself together. I have calming tea if you need it."
"Thanks." I say, clearing my mind the way Celestia taught me. The white aura around my feet disappears. "Tea would be nice."

"All right. Tell me what happened."
"It was horrible." I say. "Time Turner and the others ganged up on Vinyl, and... And killed her."
Celestia's eyes widen, and I continue.
"I couldn't do anything to help. They just took her apart while I watched."
Tears come to my eyes as I relive what I'd seen.
"We promised each other that we'd look out for each other. I... I'd failed her."
Celestia puts a hand on my shoulder.
"It's okay now."
She stands and turns to the door I'd entered.
"This door, when powered by Sombra's magic, leads to your worst nightmare. Gazing into it reveals the inner fears of your heart and intensifies them; very potent magic indeed. However, when powered by normal magic..."
The crystal around Celestia's neck glows a bright yellow and shoots a large beam into the crystal on top of the door. She gestures for me to enter.
"It's perfectly safe. Here: I'll even go in first just to show you."
Celestia opens the door, and light shines through from the other side. She walks through, and I enter behind her.
We're standing at the base of a huge tower, stairs spiraling up the side as far as the eye can see.
"I use this door as a shortcut of sorts." Celestia says, smiling at me. "You see, right now, we're in the Crystal Empire, literally walking on the roof of Cadance and Shining Armor's chambers. It would be only a short drop to that balcony, and then you'd be in the castle." she gestures to a balcony below the edge of the roof.
We just stand there staring down at the Crystal Empire until Celestia turns to leave.
"Come on, Octavia."
We return through the door and end our training session.

Later, in the mess hall, I sit down across from Vinyl and silently eat my food.
"What's wrong, Tavi?"
I look up to see Vinyl looking at me, a worried expression on her face.
"It's nothing. Just... Exhausted from my training."
"Okay, something's definitely wrong. All your training is just study and tea and talking and friendship lessons. There's no way you could get exhausted. Well, at least not physically exhausted."
I chuckle. My lessons with Celestia are very calm and relaxed, focusing more on friendship and mastery of my Element.
"Something we talked about kind of shook me up." I say.
"Well, don't worry." Vinyl says, putting a hand on my shoulder and grinning at me. "We'll always be there for each other, right?"
"Right." I say hesitantly.
"Come on! Where's the Tavi that punched me in the face just 'cause I'd started to see myself as a failure?"
I smile at the memory. That was one of the more rash, hot-blooded things I'd done. I had kind of hoped she would forget about it.
"Promise me that whatever happens, we'll be there to help each other out when we feel discouraged." Vinyl says. "After all, what are friends for?"
After a while, I look into her eyes, which are hard with determination.
"I promise."
"That's better! Now back to eating. I'm starved!"

Present Day

Time Turner

Luna stood before me, her eyes black as night, her katana raised to strike. I looked away, regretting my foolishness.
Why did I try to reason with her? I should have just stayed with the others. Now I'm going to die, all because I was stupid and thought she couldn't go through with it.
In desperation, I tried to stop time, concentrating hard as I heard Nightmare Moon laugh. It started to slow down, and a thrill of hope rushed through me. Then it sped up again, and I concentrated harder. It stopped altogether, but as soon as I could register the lack of sound, time resumed again, albeit a little slower than before.
I looked down at Luna, no, at Nightmare Moon's feet...
And noticed something unusual. There was only one light source nearby - the moon - and yet...
"I'm sorry." I said, looking up and smiling. "I'm so, so sorry..."
I took a step back.
"...But you have two shadows."
Nightmare Moon looked down at her two shadows, and I closed the gap in between us and struck her once, electricity coursing through my fingers and into her, paralyzing her.
"Now!" I yelled, and sure enough, the second shadow elongated and turned into Vinyl.
"Vinyl!" Octavia yelled.
Vinyl immediately launched an attack at Nightmare Moon, who managed to break her paralysis just in time to dodge, Vinyl's fist grazing her cheek.
"If there's one thing to know about me, it's never to let me talk." I said as Vinyl went on the attack.
Nightmare Moon was hard pressed to defend herself as Vinyl attacked from literally every direction as she teleported madly around Nightmare Moon.
"Is it just me, or has she gotten better?" I asked Octavia.
"It's not just you. She's gotten really good with her powers." There was relief in Octavia's eyes.
"You were worried." I say.
"Yeah. There was something that happened last week that... shook me up about her. I'm glad she's okay."
"How are you guys acting so calm while Vinyl's out there risking her life!?" Scootaloo yelled. "We should be helping, not standing around!"
Octavia stood up. "She does have a point, Time Turner. We could try and help her..."
"Then what are we waiting for?"
Scootaloo rushed at Nightmare Moon, but I cut her off.
"Even if we did try and help, we'd only end up hindering Vinyl more than helping her. Look at her. She's teleporting around the place faster than you can blink! What do you think would happen if she teleported and you were right in front of her, blocking her from attacking?"
"Still..." Scootaloo said, watching the battle intently. "What if something happens?"
Octavia stepped forward and readied her bow. "Scootaloo's right. I for one am not going to sit idly by while my best friend risks her life. I may not be much help up close, but I can at least get a good shot or so in from long range. Time turner, might I get a charge?"
"I suppose, but I still don't see how this isn't going to get in Vinyl's way."
Octavia nocked an arrow, and I touched the metal tip, charging it with enough electricity to stun, but not enough to be fatal. The wooden shaft ensured nothing would spread to Octavia or anyone else but the arrow's target.
"How accurate are you with that?" I asked. "We wouldn't want to hit Vinyl."
"Oh, I wouldn't say pinpoint..." Octavia said as a line of light appeared from the tip of her arrow and settled on the fighting pair. Octavia released the arrow, sending it flying straight at Vinyl's back.
"What are you doing!?" Scootaloo shouted.
As the arrow flew towards Vinyl, she teleported again, appearing behind Nightmare Moon just as the arrow grazed Nightmare Moon's cheek.
As Nightmare Moon stood paralyzed, Vinyl gave a nod of thanks to us and grabbed Nightmare Moon's shoulder. They both disappeared in a whoosh of air.

Vinyl

She's stronger than I thought...
I take a moment to catch my breath as me and Luna collapse on the roof of Canterlot Castle. The shingles are slick with rain, and I struggle to keep my footing as I stand to face my teacher.
"Luna, stop this. It doesn't need to end this way. Come back with me and we can talk. I'm sure we can help you without-"
"No."
I take an involuntary step back at Luna's voice. It's darker, more menacing... It's not hers any more.
"I've come too far to be stopped by some upstart student who thinks she can wield shadow better than I."
"Luna, please!"
Luna's eyes soften a bit, and I lower my sword an inch.
Is the real Luna still in there?
Suddenly the hilt of her katana slams into my face.
I shouldn't have let my guard down.
She stabs at me, but I manage to spin to the side and counter with a slash of my own, which she blocks.
"Please!" I say, desperate now.
I don't wanna fight her! Please, Luna, if you're in there, help me!
"You fool! How could you even presume to stand up to me! I am the ruler of the night! I am the fear that lives in the darkness! You should be bowing before me and begging for me to let you live!"
Nightmare Moon's not gonna give up...
I grimace, finally working up the courage to do what I knew I had to.
...And neither will I!
"Then you leave me with no other choice. Luna, if you won't come back willingly, I'm gonna make you see sense. I'm not letting you kill Princess Celestia!"
I launch myself at her, attacking as fast and as hard as I can, driving her back, pushing her defenses.
"I'm gonna bring you back to your sister if I have to break every bone in your body to do it!"
I summon up two clones that flank her and we all attack at once, driving her in every direction, even cutting her clothes a bit, but never actually hitting her.
She's fast. Even faster than when I was training with her. Was she holding back then, or has Nightmare Moon made her stronger?
Luna's katana ignites with black flames, and she gets stronger and faster. We're evenly matched for a few minutes until the fire on her blade starts growing. I watch as they cover her starting with her arm until she's wrapped in dark fire.
"I am Nightmare Moon! I bring eternal night and darkness! I will not be stopped by the likes of you!"
She disarms me with one quick slash, and I take a step back. I look into her eyes, and all I see is the figure, the one from my nightmares. Fear grips me as I slip and fall, half off of the roof now. Rain splashes on my face, clearing my head.
Only one thing left to do...
"Eh."
I shrug, smiling at Nightmare Moon.
"It was worth a shot."
I concentrate, preparing to teleport, when my focus is broken by a huge flash of light.
The others appear on the roof. Celestia has teleported them in.
"Vinyl! I'm so glad you're okay!" Octavia says, starting towards me, but I stop her.
"Leave!" I shout. "It's not safe here! Go, quick, before she-"
A flash of movement catches my eye. Luna's coming at me with my own katana, the sword poised to strike my heart. I think to teleport, but by the time I start concentrating, it's too late. I only have time to do one thing...
"Tavi-"

Octavia

It is raining.
I can only stand and watch as Nightmare Moon stabs at Vinyl, piercing her heart. As Nightmare Moon lifts her up into the air, laughing, and throws her off the roof. I watch as Vinyl falls, as if in slow motion, a look of shock on her face. She hits the ground behind a tree, and I hear a crack as something breaks upon impact.
I've failed again.
I sink to my knees, tears streaming down my face.
We promised each other that we'd be there... That we'd look out for each other!
I scream, a cry of anguish that rips from my throat, turning into a roar as white-hot rage fills me.
I just stood there and watched and now she's dead and I couldn't do anything to save her!
I look at the figure in front of me, only a silhouette now in my vision; Nightmare Moon.
I run towards her and grab her by the face, slamming her down into the roof hard she cracks the shingles. I lift her up by the throat and drop her, punching her in the face as she falls, sending her skidding across the roof until she slams into the base of a tower.
I am not failing anyone else again! As long as I live, nobody else dies!
Everyone looks at me, shocked, and I realize that I hadn't thought that last sentence: I'd screamed it as if it were a battle cry.
"Vinyl will not die in vain! As long as I draw breath I will fight! And I will avenge her!"
The white aura swirling around me is now blinding even to me. I have to shut my eyes, but even then it blinds. I can't escape it.
And I don't want to.
Everything goes white, and I know no more.