• Published 11th Dec 2012
  • 1,548 Views, 27 Comments

Friendship is Power: The Nightmare Returns - Aiyonbeam



When a freak magical mishap occurs during the Summer Sun Celebration, Ponyville - no, all of Equestria - will change forever!

  • ...
10
 27
 1,548

Chapter 10: Eclipse

Almost One Month Later

Celestia
"Princess!"
Vinyl ran into my chambers, a look of worry on her face. I was reading Twilight's latest letter, which was about standing up for your friends.
"I haven't seen Luna in days!"
"Calm down, Vinyl. I'm sure she can't have gotten herself into anything she can't handle. Can you tell me more about what happened?"
"Well, a few days ago she started acting really weird, almost cruel. Then she said she needed to go somewhere to calm her mind, and I haven't seen her since."
"Almost cruel, you say?"
"Yeah. Every day I bring Sweetie Belle an extra towel because she's always soaked after training, and Luna said she admired the way I helped my friends, then a second later she yelled at me for interfering with her other students."
I put down the letter and followed Vinyl to Luna's chambers.
I remembered almost six months ago when Luna had acted strange...
"If there's anything I can do to help, I'm here for you, Luna."
"Thanks. I'll keep that in mind."
"I don't need your charity or your pity, sister. I can take care of myself."
"But..."
"But what?"
"No buts, Celestia. I don't need your help!"
"Luna, you just said you'd keep my offer in mind."
"I know, and I will."
"I don't remember accepting anything from you."
"I don't..."
"What's wrong?"
"What's wrong? Not used to me showing some backbone when my condescending sister wants to 'help' me? Grow up already."
"Sis, I think the stress of this whole thing is starting to affect you. Maybe you should take it easy."
"What about the students?"
"If my big shot big sister can afford to not take it easy then I will stay as I am. I don't need your pity."
"There's no need to be so snappy, Luna. I was just making a suggestion."
"I wasn't being snappy."
"You can make as many as you like, it doesn't change how much I don't care about them."
"Sorry, Luna. I guess I'm just being a little overprotective."
"I'm confused. Are you not listening to me, sister? I just said I was not being snappy, and that I will call on you for aid when I need it."
"I don't need your protection! Just leave me alone and get off my case!"
"Let's just go back to the Trial Room, okay?"
If Luna was acting that way again, that could mean...
"Did she say where she was going?" I asked as we arrived at Luna's chambers. Sure enough, they were empty.
"She said she was going to a place she hated. Why would someone go to a place they hate to clear their mind?"
A place she hates... That doesn't make sense. Luna wouldn't go to the moon unless...
"Vinyl, stay here."
Things are worse that I'd thought.
"Where are you going?" she asked as I started out the door to my chambers.
I need to find her, and fast.
"To find my sister, of course."

Later That Day

???
Things are going better than I thought. I already have speech and basic motor skills. Now all that's left is to close the trap shut...

Luna
The surface of the moon glowed softly under my feet as I walked, trying to focus and failing.
I don't understand. Why is this happening?
I thought back to the past few days, the random blackouts I'd been having, waking up in places different from where things had gone dark. And my students... They almost seemed scared of me.
What am I becoming?
"Luna?"
It was Celestia. Somehow she'd managed to travel here, of all places.
"How did you find me? How did you even know I was gone?"
"That doesn't matter. What does matter is that you come back with me."
"I can't, sister."
"Luna, you can alway-"
"No. You don't understand." I said, urgency creeping into my voice. I physically can't."
"What?" Celestia said, confused.
"I can't move." I said, turning around to face her.
"You're moving right now."
"She didn't say this body couldn't move. She meant she couldn't move."
I started.
It can't be... No.
"It's been a long time since I was in control again. Not as long, though, as our imprisonment."
No!
"What's going on?" Celestia asked."
NO!
Wrenching control back, I managed to speak.
"R-r... Run! Celestia, run! Get out of here!"
"Luna, you're..."
"Did you not hear me!? I told you to RUN!"
Celestia looked into my eyes and nodded.
"Right."
In a flash of light, my sister disappeared.
You may have managed to save her for now, but revenge will be ours.
Ours?
It is tradition to use the royal 'we'. We are royalty, after all.
I sank into the ground and an image appeared in my head. I saw the castle, saw Vinyl, Sweetie Belle, and Applebloom training together.
Oh no you don't...
I put all my willpower into changing the image. Just before I teleported, I thought of the Sovereign Woods, now the Everfree Forest.
I appeared in a glade, trees all around and the sun setting overhead.
What is this!?
It looks like you are going to have to fly to Canterlot, a matter that will take several hours at least.
Do not be so foolish. We have all your knowledge and experience. We will simply transport ourselves there.
The image of the training room formed in my mind again, and once again I changed it to the glade in the forest. When I appeared amongst leaves and vines, I smiled inwardly.
How are you doing this!? We have complete control!
Of my body, yes. But though my will is not strong enough to take it back, It is still strong enough to prevent you from teleporting.
No matter. We will simply make a clone and have it teleport there for us.
You said you had all my knowledge and experience, correct?
What does it matter?
I shifted into a shadow again.
Let me tell you something I have never even told my students.
Nonsense! You can keep no secrets from us! We will simply search your thoughts and... No.
Have you found what you were looking for?
Curse you!
That is right. I urge dear young Vinyl to train in cloning because I myself cannot do it!
You will pay for this!
How exactly are you going to make a voice in your head 'pay' for something? Please tell me, so that when I get my body back - and I will - I can do the same to you, you usurper!
We will make you pay by forcing you to watch as you kill your sister, your students - everyone you love will die by your hand!
When you arrive - which will take several hours, seeing as you can neither teleport nor clone yourself and are reduced to walking or flying - they will be ready for you.
Do you seriously believe they will be able to stop me? Such blind faith is pure foolishness!
'Blind faith' is not at all how you pronounce 'knowledge'.
I reverted to human form and, anklets glowing black, lifted off into the evening sky and flew towards Canterlot.

Octavia

Princess Celestia, accompanied by a worried-looking Vinyl, burst into the training chamber where me and the others were practicing.
"There's not much time to explain things," Celestia said. "But we need to look for Luna. She's in trouble, and we need to help her."
"What's going-" Scootaloo tried to ask, but Celestia cut him off.
"Did I not just say there was no time to explain? Get your weapons and get moving. Time is of the essence."
I picked up my cello from where it sat leaning against the wall and strapped it to my back. Walking past the others, who were busy getting their weapons ready, I walked up to Vinyl and put a hand on her shoulder.
"It's going to be okay, Vinyl." I said reassuringly.
"I hope so." she replied. "I hate to think of what'd happen if we lost Luna."
"Then don't." Celestia said, stepping out of the room and motioning for us to follow. We followed her down the maze of corridors until we came to a fork.
"The left and right paths go to the east and west wings, respectively. The middle path covers the main castle area. " Celestia said. "Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, you take the right path. Applebloom, Time Turner, you take the left path. Vinyl, Octavia, you take the middle. Meet back here when you're done."
"What about you, Princess?" Applebloom asked.
"I'll be searching Canterlot and the surrounding area." she said. "With any luck, she'll be out there and not here. Now go."
We split up, me and Vinyl taking the middle path.
"I will search the side rooms on the left, you take the ones on the right." I said.
"Sounds good to me." she replied. We both ducked into side rooms across the hallway. I searched the room, but there was nothing in there.
"Have you found anything, Vinyl?" I asked, stepping into the hallway. Vinyl was still in the side room.
"Vinyl?"
I looked in the room, and she was gone.
"This isn't good." I said.
I started searching, both for Luna and for my best friend.

Vinyl

Come on, come one, come on!
After Octavia had left the room I'd hidden in, I turned back into a human and sat down.
Clear your mind...
I felt myself drift away on a sea of emptiness, my mind focused and concentrated on one thing.
If there was ever I time I needed to clone myself it's now! COME ON!
I thought of Luna, my teacher, the only one who took time out to talk with me besides Octavia, the only one besides Octavia to understand me, the only one besides Octavia who actually liked the music I made, the only one besides Octavia I could call my friend...
A rush of energy burst through me and into my shadow, filling it with power.
Could this be...
I got up and watched, slack-jawed, as my shadow, detached from my body, started to grow, take shape, form into a silhouette of me.
Then it stood up, and I gasped.
I stood there looking at myself in the dim light of evening. I looked back, and raised a hand in greeting.
I did it! After weeks of practicing, I finally did it!
Yeah, you did.
I can talk to you with my head?
I guess so.
"Freaky." I said.
I nodded.
I need to stop thinking of clones of myself as 'me.' It's gonna get kinda confusing.
I agree.
"Go and help Octavia search. I have an idea." I said, turning into a shadow.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
When am I not? Back in a bit.

Octavia

Come on, come on, come on...
I searched frantically through room after room, hoping for any sign of Vinyl.
Nothing here either! Where is she?
As I searched, my mind flashed back to over six months ago, back when we were still living in Canterlot...

"What a bunch of tightwads!"
Vinyl sat at the table, munching on a sandwich and spouting her anger at Canterlot in general again, as had become the norm these past few days.
"I take it nobody was in the mood for your music?" I said, sitting down across from her with a bowl of soup.
"I spent the whole day looking for gigs, and I didn't get even one! Not a single person wanted anything to do with me! Can you believe it, Tavi? What a bunch of stuck-up, snobby elitists!"
"Vinyl, you have to give them a break." I said, giving her a conciliatory smile. "There have been enough changes going on already, what with this whole human business; people don't want anything else radical right now."
"I know, but I've gotta pay the bills somehow! The least they could do is give me a chance." she said, grumbling as she cleared her place and started to walk toward her rooms. She looked back at me, and to my surprise, I saw tears brimming in her eyes.
"Tavi, what if nobody wants me to play ever again? What if I'm done in the music industry for good? What if-"
I hugged her, cutting off any further thoughts. She started crying into my shoulder, releasing all the anger and frustration and worry of the past weeks of constantly being turned down, refused, even insulted.
"Vinyl, don't worry." I said, bringing her to arm's length. "People just want more of what they're used to right now. When they've all adjusted to being human, there will be so many people lining up to hear your music that you'll have to beat them back with a stick."
"You really think so?" she asked.
"I know so." I replied. "Now go relax. It's been a tough couple of weeks for you, and you need some rest. I'll take care of the finances for a bit; you've done the same for me plenty of times."
"Thanks." she said. "Sorry about getting so emotional on you."
"We all cry sometimes, Vinyl. It's nothing to be ashamed of." I said. "Now get to sleep. You've still got some music left in you, I can feel it. If you want to play somewhere, you're going to need something impressive."
She walked into her rooms, and I went to mine, picking up the list of events I was scheduled to play at.
People really do want more of what they're used to, it seems. Business hasn't gone this well in almost a year.
My mind flashed back to the present as I heard footsteps behind me. I turned to see Vinyl running to catch up with me.
"Where were you!?" I asked.
"Sorry." she said. "One of the rooms had a side room, and when I got done searching it, you were gone. I started looking, and I found you further up the hallway. Did you search all of these by yourself?" she asked.
"Not very well." I replied.
"Let's go search them again." she said.
I followed her, flooded with relief at seeing my friend okay.
If anything happened to her, I don't know what I would do...

Author's Note:

This is what I've got for now. We're getting near to the end, so I'll be able to write much more quickly seeing as how I already have the end down solid.