• Published 6th Dec 2012
  • 836 Views, 2 Comments

Shadow Of Night - AmethystProtector



A Pony With No Home, An Alicorn In Hiding

  • ...
 2
 836

Chapter Three - Night Falls Gently

Life was slowly awakening in the Everfree Forest as Starless began to awaken with the setting sun. As the sun continued to set, the dangerous creatures that stalked it would soon be on him if stayed here too long. But he loved to see the sun set every evening, knowing that with the arrival of night he would come to life with its magic.

Starless didn’t dwell on this feeling of elation for long, for he has a job to do, and he would not let the sensation turn him away from his duties. So he cleaned up as quickly as possible, but with the same care he had with the clearing he slept in the day before. Night had fallen before he left the forest, but the creatures seemed to understand the respect he showed their land and stayed clear of his path, making his journey to the Sugarcube Corner uneventful.

Sugarcube corner was dark when he arrived, so he unhitched himself from his cart and opened the door, securing it behind him. He went about examining the first floor for an idea as to the amount of work he would have to do this night. He found the Cakes had not over loaded his capacity to clean. As long as they maintained that level of use, he can have the bakery looking like it had never been used by the time his deadline arrived.

He climbed the stairs to the residential portion of the bakery and called out to the Cakes, making sure the entire building was vacated. He would hate to accidentally frighten them if they had forgotten about his arrival. But, to his relief, no pony was home, so he continued his evaluation. He found himself silently praising the Cakes for maintain a relatively clean living quarters. Judging by the level of chaos downstairs, he knew they had spent many late nights preparing their orders.

He went back down stairs and donned a fresh work apron, he would start in the lobby again as he had the previous night, then work upstairs and finally back down in the kitchen. Again he took position in the center of the lobby and began focusing on the job at hoof, but was interrupted by a knock at the door.

Mildly annoyed at the interruption, he walked carefully to the door, opening it just enough to speak to the white stallion waiting there. “I'm sorry sir, but we are closed for the night.”

“Yes, I know, but I'm here to see you,” the stallion replied, leaving Starless time to consider the statement.

Starless pondered the implications of the arrival of this pony. Were the Cakes checking up on him? Did his arrival cause some sort of outrage? He knew that time was of the essence and he needs as much of it as he can muster to complete the job at hoof on time. Starless pulled open the door a bit further and arched his head out, looking up and down the street, searching for anything out of the ordinary, but the street was quiet. “Alright, but I don't have much time, so come in and make it quick,” he said as he moved aside for the pony.

“The Cakes have told me about the work that you do for them,” the stallion began as he walked around the lobby. “They told me that they were quite impressed with the work you have done in such a short time.”

“But what does that have to do with your visit here?”

“I'm the head of the Princess Celestia’s Royal Guard, and I'm here to see if your a suitable candidate for recruitment.”

“Well, don't bother, I work alone,” Starless said as he gestured towards the door, anxious to be rid of the pony and get back to work.

“For the most part, you will be,” the stallion replied as he continued to move around the lobby. “The Lunar Guard prides itself on it on the independence of its staff.”

“I cannot stay in one location for long, not to mention I'll only work at night. Training me will be a waste of your time.”

“Not true,” he walked up to Starless, “I believe that we have a position that only you can fill. I'll be in town for a short time, so if you change your mind look me up.” He reached into his bad and retrieved his business card and handed it to Starless. “My name is Shining Armor and I'll be staying at the Hotel.” With that he showed himself out of the bakery.

Starless looked wordless at the small pieces of paper in his hoof. He had hoped that the Cakes might find him another job, but he had not expected it to happen until he was further along on this job. But time was wasting, so he placed the card in his bag and re-secured the door, then he began to clear his mind for the job at hand.

Princess Luna had a lot on her mind and did not know where to start. Celestia had already left for the night and she had received the report from Rocinante a few minutes ago. She could still feel the sensation that had alerted her to the Alicorn’s presence but she could see the bakery was closed and its lights were out.

She felt so furious at being too powerless to do anything, but she feels equally afraid of the consequences her actions may have. She has but one hope and it lies in Shining Armor’s investigation. Maybe with his report she can take her findings to Celestia with out fear of her sisters doubt.

Luna peered through the telescope again and saw the Alicorn’s cart in front of the bakery and lights on both floors turned on. She watched as another pony walked up to to the bakery door and knocked. She adjusted the focus to the white stallion’s cutie mark and was overjoyed to see it was Shining Armor’s. She has always trusted Celestia’s choice to have Shining Armor be the head of the royal guard, but she has never had need to put her trust in him directly since she has always had Rocinante as her right hoof pony.

Luna watched carefully as Shining Armor spoke to the Alicorn through the barely open door. The Alicorn looked down both sides of the street and ushered Shining Armor in quickly. She might not know what the Alicorn’s intentions might be, but his reaction leads her to think they might not be innocent.

She continues to watch as the Alicorn stands by the door and Shining Armor walks around the lobby. At one point the Alicorn motions towards the door as if to open it, but Shining Armor ignores him as he continues to walk around. Finally, Shining Armor walks up to him and says a few more words before handing him something from his pack. This throws Luna for a loop. What could Shining Armor have possibly given him?

Shining Armor then leaves the bakery, walking down the street leaving the Alicorn looking at the object he was given before walking out of her sight.

Luna sits back and ponders the meaning of what she had just seen. Was the head of the Royal Guard conspiring with a foreign Alicorn? Was this a meeting that was planned from the start? Only moments ago she had been praising the unicorn for finding the Alicorn so quickly, but now she can not help but feel betrayed and frightened over the possibilities. But no matter what the possibilities may be, she knows that this is something she cannot deal with alone, she must talk with Celestia now.

She walked into the palace and saw Rocinante approaching her. “Is there something wrong Princess?”

“I need to speak with Celestia immediately.”

“She should be in her room by now,” he responded, concern rich on his voice.

Luna turn to walk to Celestia’s room and she noticed Rocinante beginning to follow. “I’m sorry Rocinante, but I need to speak with her alone.” Rocinante nodded in understanding. “Wait for me here, I shall return when I have finished.” During her trek to Celestia’s sleeping quarters, Luna ran over what she knew and what she wants Celestia to help with. But she knows that with her past, she will have to approach her with care.

Luna finally reaches Celestia’s room and knocks gently. After a few moments she opens the door with a look of pleasant surprise. “A visit from Luna! To what do I owe the pleasure of your company?”

“I’m afraid that I come bearing news that may be very bad for all of us, my sister.”

Celestia’s smile drained from her face. She moved aside to allow Luna to enter the room. She escorts her to a small table that Luna remembers they used to share when their relationship was much stronger.

“So whatever has been bothering you has become bad enough that you need seek my council. Lets see what we can do together to resolve whatever this problem may be.”

Luna told Celestia everything that had passed since she first had the inkling that something was wrong. She had provided every detail, no matter how inconsequential it felt to her as Celestia sat quietly pondering the tale. Once Luna finished, Celestia didn’t move. She sat with her chin on her hoof, deep in thought.

Nearly half an hour passed before Celestia spoke. “This is far graver than I had thought when I had first seen you with the telescope pointed away from the sky. But even so, I’m afraid that I’ll be of little hope to you this night. I need to rest and I need more time to ponder a solution or course of action.” Celestia rose from the table and walked to her bedroom door. “I should have something by next nightfall. In the meantime, continue to keep an eye out for the Alicorn, any more information you may glimpse will be a great help. Goodnight Luna.”

“Goodnight sister,” Luna replied before showing herself out. She felt even more concerned now that her sister, an excellent problem solver, was stumped by the situation. But for now she will return to Rocinante and tell him the truth about what has had her so troubled. She would have to hope she could trust him to keep Shining Armor uninformed.