• Published 3rd Dec 2012
  • 568 Views, 7 Comments

A New Kind of Sound - B4ssxCello



Octavia and Vinyl are put face to face with a new challenge: Mixing their sounds together

  • ...
5
 7
 568

Cello

It was a sunny day in Ponyville; the clouds had been cleared away by the weather team to the outskirts of town over Sweet Apple Acres to help the apples grow as large and succulent as every other season. A haunting yet melodious sound swept outwards from the center of the stage in front of the mayor’s home. A lone girl was sitting on a small wooden stool, wearing a simple light-grey dress that came to her knees, with a pink treble clef embroidered into the hem, playing her cello. Her eyes were closed as she reveled in the joy of playing her instrument.

The music she wrought was calm, soothing even, yet very mysterious at the same time, with an earthly tone reminiscent of eras past. Her fingers flowing from one string to the next, she moved through the entrancing song with ease, causing the melodious tune to resonate in the minds of the children in the crowd around her. As she ended her song, she laid down her instrument in its case ever so gently, as if she were a mother putting her young to rest for the evening.

As she stood up she pushed back her long, flowing black hair, allowing her to see the small crowd that had been slowly gathering in front of her while she had been playing. Her chocolate brown eyes grew to the size of saucers as she scanned the crowd that had materialized, seemingly, out of thin air as they began to applaud loudly, first clapping, then whistles and shouts joined in the cacophony that was the cheering crowd.

Realizing the crowd was cheering for her prowess at her favorite instrument she began turning as red as the apples in the orchards. “Th-thank you all v-very much,” Octavia floundered, not quite sure what to say, as she bowed deeply to the crowd. “R-really no need to applaud… I-I was only practicing.”

As the crowd slowly quieted down a large bang was heard and multi-colored streamers, confetti, and shiny glitter slowly began to shimmer down like snow upon those gathered before the stage.

“OCTAVIA,” a girl with near-neon pink hair shouted dragging along her custom made device known as a ‘Party-Cannon.’ “Heyya Octavia! That was amazingly splendiferously awesome!”

“Thanks Pinkie” Octavia said sarcastically as she smiled, “but I need to go because I am supposed to have a meeting today here in Ponyville. So I need to get away from this crowd.”

Pinkie Pie looked at Octavia for a second then started laughing, “Who do you think asked for you to come here all the way from Canterlot? It was me; I was busy at Sugar Cube Corner babysitting for Mister and Missus Cake, while they went out to do some shopping together.” Pinkie pie breathed in deeply and continued, “You know how much of a hand-full the Cake’s children are. Geez I tell ya, it seems the only thing those two like is seeing me covered in flour.”

Octavia laughed at the image of Pinkie Pie covered in flour. “Well since I’m all packed up now and seem to be weighted with a few extra bits, can we go somewhere private and talk about why you wanted me here?” Octavia asked politely of the pink haired girl hopping around her joyfully.

“Yeah, sure Octavia, let’s go! I’m hungry anyways; let’s go to Sugar Cube Corner to talk!” The boundless energy Pinkie Pie had, always amazed Octavia. She wondered if it had any adverse effects to the area around the girl, and was curious if it was from the amount of sugar that the, self-proclaimed, queen-of-parties consumed or if it was just a natural phenomenon known only to the pink haired party girl.

~ ~ ~

“Well here we are,” Pinkie said with her largest grin on her face. “After you Ms. Octavia, and hello Mister and Missus Cake, are the twins still sleeping?”

Mrs. Cake, who was minding the shop while her husband was baking in the kitchen replied sweetly to Pinkie, “Yes, they are, I still can’t believe how well you take care of them, I am glad we have had you baby-sitting for us. They must absolutely adore you, plus the shop is always sparkling clean when we return, it’s amazing!”

Pinkie Giggled, “Thanks Mrs. Cake, but it’s the least I could do since you let me live here with you guys. I always do the best I can to prove I am responsible! OH! This is Octavia, the cellist I was telling you about from the Grand Galloping Gala!”

Mrs. Cake looked at her for a moment then smiled warmly, the way people in Ponyville always did, “It’s very nice to meet you Octavia, we are always happy to meet new friends of Pinkie’s then again she is friends with everyone in town!” She laughed at this comment, since It was common fact in Ponyville. “Well, you can stay and talk as long as you like, it looks like the weather team has scheduled some rain for today anyways.”

At this Pinkie jumped up with a gasp “oh my Celestia! I nearly forgot, follow me Octavia!” Pinkie ran up the stairs in a great haste, Octavia laughed and ran up the stairs after her over excitable friend.
As she turned the corner, she called out “what do you have to show me Pinkie?”
Pinkie replied “last door on the right is my room, hurry quickly silly!” Octavia sighed and rolled her eyes.

She walked to the room, then opened the door and the lights went out and she felt a familiar set of arms encircle her neck “Hello sexy Tavi, how’s my best friend?” the lights flipped on and Pinkie was standing in the center, surrounded by a pink room, filled with party supplies, and a ceiling covered in floating balloons of many colors, with streamers everywhere. Octavia noticed in the corner a miniature version of the party cannon was still smoking, explaining the decorations for a party covering the room. What held Octavia’s attention most was the people in the room, Vinyl and Octavia’s managers were glaring at each other over the head of a certain time travelling doctor who was sitting in a chair covered in streamers and glitter, and around her neck was one of the coolest people she knew (also, in her opinion, one of the hottest ever).

“Hey Vinyl, and I'm good, how about you?” She said with a cocky smile

“I need a bit of ‘assistance’ if you get my drift”. Octavia sighed, she should have never told her about which way she swung.

”Go to hell Vinyl.” Octavia snapped.

”Aww” Vinyl pouted, “you don’t like me anymore Tavi?” she made a sad face and sighed.

Octavia just rolled her eyes and said “stop the act, we all know which way you swing!” Vinyl laughed and grinned innocently.

“You sure Tavi? You may be surprised!” She winked saucily and walked away with a teasing sway of her hips which had Octavia mesmerized.

Pinkie Pie pulled out and used a party popper, which let out mini streamers to get everyones attention “now, time to tell Octavia why we are here”.

Octavia’s manager nodded in agreement and said in a snobbish voice “yes, why are we here, mixing with these.......ruffians?”

Octavia sighed, she hated her manager, but she was the best and was able to pull strings for her, the bad part was she was owned by Prince Blueblood (and if rumor was true, his bastard sister!) Then Vinyl’s manager spoke up,

“ruffians? At least my father and mother know each other, and are married!” Vinyl, Octavia, and Pinkie Pie face palmed and said in unison “SHUT UP!”

The Doctor just sat there and shuffled his feet nervously then he said “well, listen and I will tell you”. Everyone in the room turned to look at him, Vinyl snuck over to Octavia’s side with an evil grin on her face, obviously up to something, probably inappropriate knowing her.

Dr. Whooves stood up and cleared his throat “well, I want to do a special song for my fiancée, Der. . .” he was quickly cut off as Pinkie Pie shot a party popper in his face. “. . .py. Thank you Pinkie, as I was saying, she is a special lady to me, and I want her to be happy, it came to my attention that someone made a song for her called ‘Autumn,’ I`m sure you’ve heard of it, well, she loves the song, and I think it would be appropriate to remake it, but it isn’t classical enough for her, your task is to remix it with your cello Octavia, and your turntable Vinyl, I feel that if you do this it will have a great effect on your friendship, and on the music as we know it, do your best!”

The managers got into a fight immediately “I can't believe him! How dare he draft us to work with these party crazy mongrels, we shall not do it!” Octavia’s manager started to storm out of the room in a huff, but then Vinyl’s manager fumed “you narcissistic, good for nothing bitch! My Vinyl can perform circles around Octavia, and you know it!”

Octavia’s manager spun around and snarled “at least I'm not scouting out abandoned buildings for illegal parties, and using lights that blind everyone and making music that leaves the listener deaf!” Vinyl and Octavia face palmed again.

“Enough!”Vinyl and Octavia stated, Vinyl then turned to Octavia, all arguments forgotten at the moment. “Let me apologize for my assistants behavior, some people just don't know when to call it quits!” Octavia nodded her head in agreement

“And I apologize for mine, some people huh?” They both extended their hands and shook

“In fact, I would love to collaborate with you again Vinyl” Octavia stated “I think this would be a good way to bridge two genres and make something revolutionary!”

Vinyl nodded her head enthusiastically “same here” they both then turned to their flat footed managers and stated together “we’re taking the job!”

The Doctor smiled when he heard their decision. “Good, cause I have the contracts all drafted up!” He handed a copy to everyone except for Pinkie

“I look forward to working with you both!” The Doctor gave them each a winning beam to each of them, satisfied with the outcome.

Octavia looked to Vinyl and said quietly “Since we already made up our minds, let’s head to your Ponyville recording booth and see what we can come up with?”

“I totally agree with you Tavi, we should get out of here before our managers get at each other’s throats again”. Vinyl said back, and then to Pinkie she said “Yo, party-girl, Tavi and I are heading to the studio to work on this song, catch ya on the flipside!”

“Oh! Octavia, Vinyl before you go look at this!” Pinkie said as she raised her shirt showing off her new tattoo three balloons, two light-blue with a yellow one in the middle, with the strings tied together, right in the crevice of her breasts “What do you think of it girls?”

The two musicians were stunned, then Vinyl spoke up “Pinks, don't ya think you should have gotten it...elsewhere? I mean how are people going to see it?”

“Pinkie...I don't think that was the smartest idea...”Said Octavia covering her face to hide the blush that was spreading across her face.

“I got it here because nobody would see it....well unless I throw one of my more outrageous parties!” Pinkie stated with a wide smile across her face when she saw Octavia trying to hide her face.

Author's Note:

A special thanks to the Team that helped me!
FictionalCritic: You are one awesome person!( Editor)
Empsplosion: thanks for the help you gave, it was well worth it! (proof-reader/editor)
Fluttersky15: Thank you for being an awesome mare and pre-reader/proof-reader!!
your guy's help is well worth it and i hope i can count on you guys to help more in the future as well!