• Published 1st Dec 2012
  • 682 Views, 5 Comments

Hard Boiled Pink - haydenward082



In just a few years, Equestria has changed and Pinkie has to get to the bottom of things.

  • ...
0
 5
 682

Part 2, On the Hush Hush

I walked up to Applejacks stand, a bright green, sturdy cart with lots of baked goods like apple fritters and apple pies and of course, baskets full of a variety of different kinds of delicious, mouth watering apples surrounding the cart. The wonderful aroma of pastries and freshly bucked apples that drifts from the apple family cart is simply amazing! The Apple family stand is famous throughout Ponyville and is on par with my cakes and muffins. That is to say when I bothered to bake them. Since I've been at my new job to save the city, I don't have the time, money or love for what I used to do. All you have to do to see if Applejack is in town with her baked goods is to take a step outside your door, inhale deeply and become intoxicated with the yummy aroma. To eat those simple, love filled treats she makes is like a blessing from Celestia on your tongue. That coming from the former best baker in Equestria means a lot.

I flipped a couple of shiny, new bits right into Applejacks hoof as I approached the cart, grabbed the biggest pink gala apple I could see, tossed it into the air and with a hard gulp, swallowed it whole. Applebloom laughed but Applejack only rolled her eyes and smiled. That pony knows all my tricks! I gave Applejack another couple of bits and picked up a second apple, this time a shiny red delicious, nibbled on it and gave them my most exaggerated shrug and beamed. They both laughed at that. I still got it!

"How're ya'll doin' ponies?" I said mimicking their heavy southern drawl. I was feeling much better since I woke up with my stomach full and my hangover dissipating. A couple of seconds ticked by as I continued to slowly eat the red delicious and figured I should start getting to the main reason I came to the stand, why is AJ here on a Wednesday. There isn't much that can make a stubborn pony like Applejack change her routine. Anyway, let's take it slow, if Applejack has something to hide from everypony and I rush her, she'll clam up and she won't tell anypony anything. That means no one wins.

"We're doin' just fine Pink, we got great customers comin' and buying our apples." The orange pony said with a nod, "Tain't nothin' more a farmer could ask for." she continued, letting her pride for her farm shine a little. Things are not as they seemed, as I predicted. I noticed her smile was just a little forced. She isn't lying about anything yet but she is definitely keeping something back.

I gently set my empty hip flask onto the cobbled road and nudged it under the cart. AJ gave me a knowing nod and a sly wink. She 'accidentally' knocked down an apple from the stand and opened a secret compartment hidden inside the cart which held a small barrel full of the hard cider. She reserves that cider for a select few rich ponies around town and a certain pink pony. Applejack filled up the flask and pushed it back to me. I finished my second apple, grabbed a third and stuck it into my pack. I tossed about fifteen bits Applejacks way, discreetly unscrewed the cap, took a small sip and sighed deeply. Time to get down to business. I've just got to find a way to make Applejack slip up and spill the beans, or should I say spill the apples. Once I do that, I can probably pull a few strings and help her out no problem. Didn't she learn something about pride and stubbornness in episode four?

"So," I started, not looking at anything in particular, "how's Granny Smith? I heard she finally got that saggy old hip replaced." Let's see if that's the problem. I doubt it but got to start somewhere.

"She sure did! She's been running around the house and even tried to buck one of the smaller apple trees in the orchard! I had Big Macintosh stand beside the tree and 'help' her get those apples down." Applejack crossed her hooves and beamed.

That wasn't it. I didn't figure it was anyway.

I saw that Applebloom was still, indeed, a blank flank, so that answered one of my earlier musings while I was walking here.

"Hey Applebloom!" I said, "Don't think I forgot about you! You look very pretty with your bow, is it new?"

"You know it's not ah new bow Pink, what with your freakishly good memory, but thank ya kindly for asking anyway." She's both honest and polite just like her big sister, always so happy. I wish I were young and carefree again, she's cheerful even when the party pony is depressed! It's only a matter of time until her eyes open up to all the messed up things here in Ponyville but that can wait. For now, she's happy and that's hope enough for me.

I continued, "Do you still get to hang out with your friends anymore? You know how important friendship is now days." That is the only thing I can tell myself that is true. My friends are still that, my friends and no matter how bad things get, I will stick with them until the end.

Applebloom frowned and looked to the ground, her red bow wilting ever so slightly. "Well, you see... We hardly get to play together anymore. Big Macintosh and Applejack say it's too dangerous. Rarity says the same thing to SweetieBelle. Scootaloo, SweetieBelle and I haven't been to tha clubhouse in weeks! I bet it's covered in dust by now. I still see them at school though and that's enough for me!." The way she said those things. She's making a big understatement and it's tearing me up inside.

I sat down, closed my eyes and nodded in understanding. A wave of sadness washed over me. I know how you feel little filly. I stood up and looked into Applejacks big green eyes. She knows how it feels too. "Maybe I can help?" I chirped. "I'm still Pinkie Pie, even if I'm a bit grumpy at times!" That's an even bigger understatement.

Applebloom perked up her ears and smiled wide. Then she went blank. She remembered something. Applebloom looked up at me with water filled eyes. "Maybe if you could stop those mean ponies that come to yell at Applejack and Big Mac in the middle of the night, we could..."

As fast as lightning, Applejack grabbed her, stuffed an apple into her mouth and shoved her behind the cart. I glared at Applejack. If looks could kill, I'd be on a spree. Applejack tried to stare back but there is nothing in all of Equestria that could make me back down now. My story would be over if I were dealing with Fluttershy and her brutal stare. Fortunately for me, AJ lacks Flutters mysterious powers. I continued boring through her her large green eyes, beginning to crack and eventually break her delicate conscience. I knew something was up and she didn't tell me, or Twilight, or any of our other friends. Hiding the truth is worse than lying and it just about made me boil over and I'm already hard boiled. I took a deep breath and started counting the seconds that went by. AJ could try to bolt, but I would catch her. She wouldn't dare. I can wait all day for her to talk and no Pinkie Promise can make me believe she wouldn't weasel her way out of it with another loophole. Now there's plenty to talk about Applejack and I've got time. Lots of time.

Author's Note:

made some corrections and I think I added a paragraph some where :)