• Published 28th Nov 2012
  • 2,653 Views, 40 Comments

Doctor Whooves - Episode 1: Beyond the Limits - The Grimm Reaper



The Doctor has expended his regenerations, but the TARDIS isn't done with him just yet.

  • ...
1
 40
 2,653

Chapter 5

"What’s a Dalek?” Applejack asked, scratching her head.

“Primitive beings would call them demons. They’re the deadliest creatures to ever exist in the universe. They were made to feel no emotion except for rage and hatred. They’re cold calculating monsters whose sole purpose is to destroy every living thing that isn’t a Dalek. I’ve fought against these things nearly all my life and just when I think I’m free of them once and for all, they just COME BACK!” The Doctor hit the arm of his chair, cracking the wood. Derpy jumped back, startled by his sudden aggression. He relaxed slightly, closing his eyes.

“I never used to have a problem keeping secrets. I’d wait at least a day before telling people who and what I am. Now, I haven’t even known you lot for a day and I’m already telling you about the Daleks.” He rested his face in his hooves.

“D-Doctor, how do we stop the Dalek from hurting everyone?” Fluttershy asked. The Doctor just burst out laughing, tears coming to his eyes.

“You can’t stop a Dalek, you can’t reason with it, you can’t appeal to its sense of mercy because it doesn’t have one. They are death in layers of metal. Their emotions are just as monotone as their voices. When you face a Dalek, you run, try to turn corners and get out of its field of vision because if it sees you, it will judge you as either temporarily useful or expendable in which case it will kill you.” The Doctor leaned forward and hit a button on the console. A hologram of a Dalek appeared. It looked real enough. Clad in black metal with black hemispheres unlike what the ponies had seen The Doctor fearing.

Who are you?!” it demanded, its voice high pitched, distorted and scary. Fluttershy shot behind The Doctor while the others leaned away from it.

“Hi! I’m Pinkie Pie.” the pink mare stated.

“Well she’s dead.” The Doctor muttered as the Dalek approached her, its body whirring as it moved.

You do not fear me?!” the dalek asked.

“Why would I?” she asked in turn.

I am Dalek Sec of the Cult of Skaro! You will obey or be exterminated! Obey! Obey!” The Dalek responded. Pinkie bowed and grinned sheepishly.

“Okey-Dokey-Lokey!” she replied. The Doctor just stared at the pink mare, as did Sec.

What does she mean?! Explain! Explain!” Sec turned to The Doctor who gave him a disgusted look.

“I don’t think anyone can explain that pony’s words.” Dalek Sec examined The Doctor his eye stalk zooming in and out.

State your name!” he commanded.

“Oh you don’t wanna know who I am Sec.” he replied.

Your name! Your name!” Sec urged. Startling Fluttershy, The Doctor jumped out of his seat and stood right up to the Dalek.

“I am The Doctor! You know me Dalek Sec, because I have beaten you every time you’ve shown yourself.” Dalek Sec backed away.

Doctor!” he cried, backing over the stairs. The hologram faded and disappeared entirely. The ponies stared at where the Dalek had been, then looked at The Doctor who stood with an enraged look on his face.

“So the message is this Pinkie. You fear the Daleks and they fear me. If you don’t fear them, you’re all idiots. If they don’t fear me…” he stopped and just left them with that cliffhanger.

An hour had passed and the girls were discussing what to do.

“This kind of thing never happened in our history. It’s as though his appearance has changed everything.” said Spike.

“Not everything.” Twilight uttered.

“Um… I think it would be best if we stayed around him. That black Dalek backed away from him pretty quickly. Even before he’d finished saying his name, that thing ran.” Fluttershy said.

“Ya’h may be right there sugar cube, but Ah gotta wonder just who this Doctor is. If what he says is true and them Dalek things are the worst creatures in the universe, then what is he? To be able to scare something so evil… Wouldn’t he be worse?” Applejack removed her hat and rubbed her forehead.

“No, he seems to like harmony in the universe. I think he just hates Daleks and they know it. Clearly, even if they’re hateful creatures, they can sense greater hatred in him.” Rainbow Dash replied. Derpy looked toward where The Doctor had disappeared.

“So why does he hate them? What did they do to him?” Every pony sat in silence. Without warning, the room began ringing with a loud noise. The seven ponies covered their ears to try and drown the sound out, but it just went right through them. The Doctor emerged in a rush, his seemingly spiteful expression replaced with concern. Fiddling with the controls, the alarm went off and the ponies gathered together.

“What was that, Doctor?” asked Spike. The purple dragon jumped up and sat on Twilight’s back, leaning forward to see The Doctor staring at a screen.

“I’m not sure… and believe me, that’s very rare; me not being sure. I asked the TARDIS to scan Equestria for any familiar anomalies, such as Dalek energy readings and the likes. The thing that boggles my mind right now is that it’s not reading as Dalek.” he replied. Derpy walked up to him and looked at the screen, careful not to touch anything.

“What’s a… weeping…angel?” she asked. The Doctor leaned closer to her.

“Where’s it say that?” as his neck touched against hers, Derpy held her breath Nopony had been so close to her in that manner. With her face going red, The Doctor brushed her hoof as he reached for a button. She gasped, drawing The Doctor’s attention.

“What’s wrong with you? You look… are you running a fever?” He placed his hoof over her head and searched for any change in her temperature. Derpy just grew redder.

“I knew I should have studied Equine anatomy and health at some point in my life. Such fascinating creatures, you ponies. You can run for miles and barely show any signs of fatigue… or is that different here?” he asked.

“Well I don’t know about the others, but I could fly on all day.” Rainbow Dash jumped in, taking to the air. She flew circles around the console well out of reach of the controls.

“Right… Twilight, you’re familiar with your kind’s anatomy and health, what’s with Derpy?” Twilight examined Derpy’s face, which grew redder as she approached. The Doctor, being a snoopy pony, followed suit and examined her closely, if only to learn from practical observation. Derpy grew as red as she could get, then she fainted. With a thud, The Doctor lost interest.

“Ah, I get it now… Must be that time of the month.” he walked back to the console.

“That’s not it, Doctor, she was… nervous.” Twilight followed him, stopping him as he went to turn a dial.

“No, Fluttershy gets nervous, I know nervous. It’s your Equine appearances, it’s going to take me a few hours to learn the expressions.” he argued.

“Alright, well I’m not going to tell you what that was. She’ll tell you in her own time, but don’t worry, she’s not sick… a little scatterbrained, maybe, but healthy as ever.” Twilight walked off, taking the girls with her.

“Now you let us know if there’s anything you need us to do, Doctor.” Applejack spoke up as Twilight urged her and the other five through the doorway. As they disappeared from view, The Doctor looked at the screen again with a light smile on his face.

“I can’t remember every being this frustrated and excited when there wasn’t imminent danger staring me in the face. What am I saying? Weeping angels are on the screen. Thank goodness I removed all the images, otherwise, they’d be inside the TARDIS.” as he spoke, he glanced over to Derpy who had curled up on the cold floor beside him. He ignored what he was doing and tried to lift her up over his back. He walked over to his chair and gently sat her in it, throwing a blanket over her to keep her warm.

“It’s gonna be cold in space, my new friend.” he whispered as he returned to the console. The quiet hum of the TARDIS continued as he began to teleport the blue box into outer space.

***

The six ponies huddled together in Twilight’s room, which had been fashioned after her Library. Pinkie Pie was pulling the books out to make sure they were real. She didn’t bother to replace them. Applejack was speaking with Twilight while Rainbow Dash relaxed on a cloud she’d brought in from her room. Spike was trying to scare Fluttershy with his own-made rumours of the Doctor and the Daleks, much to Flutterhsy’s displeasure, and Rarity began replacing the books Pinkie was throwing.

“Okay everypony, so The Doctor’s a good guy, we all agree, and the Daleks he hates are evil. They’re the most frightening things in the universe, yet they fear him. As Rainbow Dash said before, it’s actually his hatred of them that they fear. Anything else?” Twilight began.

“Well I’m not really all that good at puttin’ pieces together like this Twi, but something just clicks between his hatred of them Daleks and him being the last of the Time Lords. Whatchu, think?” the farm mare asked. Twilight crossed her hooves in thought.

“There’s always the possibility. So he hates the Daleks with a passion because they had something to do with his kind’s extinction. Anything else we can add to this mystery?” Fluttershy stepped around Spike and crawled up beside Applejack.

“Um… there was that thing Derpy said before she fainted. Something about a Weeping Angel? Could that be linked to the Daleks?”

“Maybe the Angels are in cahoots with the Daleks and they want to take over Equestria!!!” Spike teased, frightening Fluttershy behind Applejack.

“Gosh Darn it, Spike! The last thing I want is Fluttershy vibratin’ so fast against ma’h backside!” Applejack threw her hat at the purple dragon who laughed and dodged the projectile.

“Guys, please… I’m trying to figure this out.” Twilight began pacing back and forth, her mind trying its hardest to work out the problem.

“I’m telling you Twi, they’re working together.” Spike interrupted. Twilight shook her head.

“No, The Doctor said Daleks don’t work with anything that isn’t one of them. Which doesn’t discount using the angels for some purpose. The Doctor is intelligent. Given his hatred and obvious fear of them, it’s probably safe to assume that they are equally intelligent if not more so. Argh, I just arrive at more questions. If The Doctor is right about the Daleks, then they’d waste no time trying to wipe Equestria off the map. So why aren’t they?” The ponies all took the time to think about an answer.

“Maybe they’re fighting each other?” suggested Rainbow Dash.

“An excellent point, Dash. Personally, I’m hoping that’s the outcome because it would be a stalemate between the two. A Weeping Angel can’t move when it’s being looked at and a Dalek can’t kill it because the stone the angels are made of is as impenetrable as the TARDIS. If the Dalek looked away, it would be sent back in time to live the rest of its life up to the day it was sent back.” The Doctor entered the room, startling everypony.

“So we’re essentially safe until the Dalek looks away?” Spike asked.

“Sadly, no. There are multiple outcomes that could ensue. One: The Dalek, presuming it received enough energy from the storm, could teleport to another location before the Angel unfroze, freeing both to attack Equestria. Two: The Dalek doesn’t care about time the same way we do. If it wants to destroy Equestria, it would simply do it in the time the Angel sent it. Thankfully, that hasn’t happened. If it did, we’d know about it. And this is only if they’re staring at each other. I have to know what the Dalek is doing. The Weeping Angel can wait. I can rectify its time-meddling after I’ve saved the world… again.”

An alarm went off throughout the TARDIS. The Doctor’s surprised face unnerved everypony as they all ran to the console together. The Doctor skidded to a halt as he began flicking levers and bashing buttons.

“Twilight, you see that big blue wheel in front of you, spin that about several times.” he said. Twilight complied and as she did so, several screens emerged, each with separate sections of Equestria. Canterlot, Ponyville, Cloudsdale, Manehattan, Appleoosa, The Griffon Kingdom and Stalliongrad. Each area was aflame, hundreds of Daleks flew in the air, destroying houses and exterminating ponies.

“No!” they all cried. The Doctor frowned as he began twisting knobs and turning dials. The TARDIS made a jerk, knocking everypony over.

“Doctor, where are we going?” Twilight asked. The Doctor ignored them and pulled a final lever. The TARDIS jerked once more and everything, including The Doctor was still.

“Doctor?”

“All of you. This is where you leave. I’ve brought you to a month prior to the attack. You’ll be safe here until I’ve… dealt with the Daleks.” He stomped on the ground and the doors opened.

“Wait, we’re not leaving you to fight them alone. This is our world, Doctor. We have a right to defend it. Tell us everything you know and we’ll help you beat them.” Twilight closed the doors with her magic and faced him.

“This isn’t the time, miss Sparkle. The Daleks are my problem, not yours.”

“Well, they’re hurtin’ all them folks in Equestria. That makes it our problem. And if you don’t like it, y’all can just get out and we’ll deal with them.” Applejack stepped forward, eyeing The Doctor.

“Doctor,” The Doctor, looked to his right to see Derpy with folded ears and a sad expression. “Please?” Between the aggressive expression on Applejack’s face and the pleading one on Derpy’s. The Doctor was caged between them and his feelings about the whole situation. Suddenly, the answer popped into his head.

“A Delta wave.” he blurted out. The ponies stared at him.

“What’s a Delta Wave?” Rainbow Dash asked, thinking it sounded cool.

“A delta wave is a brain wave associated with deep sleep. What I need to do is create something to project the wave with. The projector generates a wave of energy that will destroy the brain patterns of all living creatures within its field of effect. I could use your help designing the projector. I’d need to calibrate it so it will only affect Daleks and not ponies.” The Doctor grinned as he pulled another lever on his machine and took them all back another two months.