• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 396 Views, 1 Comments

The Search For The Everglade - Colt_Flick



A fantasy retelling of the Hearths-warming Eve story, following a unicorn sent to find the new land.

  • ...
 1
 396

The Watchers of Time

Chapter 2: The Watchers of Time

As the sun lowered from the sky and it's orange glow faded from the city of Noveria, four unicorns stood atop a tower at the corner of the city wall. The largest of the four stepped forward to address the others.

"Alright Watchers, let's ease her down for sunset. Dusk will lead the pull with Witching Hour, North Star you work on the stars and I'll take the lead on the moon. Ready?"

"Ready!"

The four unicorns closed their eyes and put their horns together, each putting their own spell into the mix as they began their daily duty of lowering the sun and raising the moon. The Watchers of Time were an order of Unicorns chosen by the Princess to raise and lower the sun and the moon, it was hard work for the most magically advanced ponies, and these ponies were just that.

The newest member of the group was a dark blue colt named North Star, dressed in a tunic and an archer's hat, he had star patterns speckled over his body that shone in the dark. His cutiemark was a simple one, three white stars dotted over his midnight blue flank. He had only joined the order recently as part of the night crew, his job was to light the sky up with stars and sometimes help out his mentor Moonshine with bringing the moon up.

Moonshine liked to joke that his name actually had something to do with his day job at the local tavern. All the members of the Watchers of Time had multiple jobs, either working at day or at night dependant on where they stood with their talents. North Star had chosen to work mapping the stars in the night sky, allowing him to work both his jobs at night, though it often meant he slept all day.

As the sky darkened with the unicorns' magic and the sun went down, North Star watched as the stars began to come out one by one, ushered out by his magic. As they did so his coat began to sparkle with the glowing pattern that went over it, he found himself lost in the moment as he watched the stars glistening as he called them, and they called back.

"North? ...North!" Moonshine shoved him, causing North Star to jump and his magic to fluctuate, quickly finishing his job. "hey kid... don't get distracted, alright? you break a star and it'll be star dust everywhere."

"If you're going to drop a star again, at least aim for the Pegasus city this time." Witching Hour added in a deadpan voice, keeping her usual serious expression as she looked out over the field, watching the snow glisten in the moonlight. "I think we're done here, boss."

"We are... good work, Team. See you all tomorrow night, alright?" Moonshine replied to the others. Dusk and Witching Hour gave a mumble of agreement each, moving to the tower steps and descending back down them, but North Star just went back to staring at the sky, "You guys go ahead, I'm going to try to finish my star map tonight."

"Why do you make those anyway?" Moonshine asked, moving to stand beside North Star as he looked out over the snowy wastelands, "Look out there, kid... there's nothing but snow and forest for miles, and there's no news of us leaving any time soon," he turned to face him as he continued, "our scholars are working day and night to find a spell to create food so we can stay here. There's no point of mapping the ground or the sky, because we're not going anywhere."

"I find it relaxing," North Star replied, "Besides, I don't ask you why you spend your days making a drink that causes most ponies to either go blind or do something reckless."

"It's my special talent, kid. Show some respect," Moonshine replied, standing up proudly, "My drink is as much of an art form as your maps. I give these ponies a way to get over their problems and relax."

There was an awkward silence for a moment as the two stared at each other, North Star could feel that something wasn't right, but Moonshine was just trying to find the right words to explain it.

"...A royal guard came by today asking about you, North Star. You've received a summon from the Princess, and I've been told that tomorrow night we'll have a new unicorn taking over for star duty."

North Star felt his heart stop as he heard this. Why would the Princess summon him? why was she sending a guard to find him? why was he being replaced? as he began to panic Moonshine reached out and put a hoof on his shoulder, looking into his eyes.

"North Star, I know you didn't do anything wrong. This is probably just a promotion or something, but if you want my advice... go to the castle, talk to the Princess and find out what she wants." he tells him seriously, "If you run, it's just going to make things worse."

"Oh skies, no! This is about the fallen star!" North Star whimpered, avoiding eye contact with his mentor.

"This probably has nothing to do with that, that was an accident and no pony was hurt." Moonshine replied, "Look at me," he told him, turning the unicorn's head so they were eye-to-eye. "...You're fine, kid. Go to the castle. And if it turns out to be bad news, I'll be there to support you."

"Moonshine..." North Star replied, taking a few steps back, "...I just wanted to say thank you, for teaching me, for helping me get started in the Watchers. It's meant a lot."

"Kid... shut up." Moonshine snorted, "That sappy tone doesn't suit you. You walk out of here with a smile and you keep your head high, and you never, ever look back. Got it?"

North Star stared at his mentor for a while, looking up at the old stallion. He smiled weakly and then raised his head up, moving to descend the stairs, though instead of taking the path down to the city, he walked along the wall towards the castle.