• Published 21st Nov 2012
  • 876 Views, 15 Comments

Creation, Destruction, and Eternal Sleep - NicholasLikesPoniez



Introducing the latest addition(s) to the Royal Family.

  • ...
6
 15
 876

Prelude to the first test

'Twas sunset in Equestria. The day was winding to an end, the blazing sun beginning to go down, as always, and they have Celestia to thank for this and, by extension, Luna. The land was as tranquil and docile as a dreamless sleep... except in the homestead of Celestia herself, as she listened to her mother's alarming declaration, especially after it being so long since they last saw each other. Celestia couldn't help but feel at least some contempt for her mother, as with her father, but she buried it for now.

"Celestia, my daughter." The creator began, a smile plastered on her face. "How nice to see you once again after all this time! You've done quite well for yourself, have you not? You rule an entire country, and control the very movement of the sun! I knew we made the right choice in your creation."

Celestia, feeling agitated by this, answered with a rather harsh reply. "And what if I had not done well enough for your standards?" Celestia asked, anger swelling up in her eyes. "Would you cast me down to Tartarus with the rest of your "failed" creations, like some sort of science experiment that didn't go the way you wanted it to!? And would you do the same to my sister!?" The Creator was silent, unsure of what to say. Celestia stomped her hoof in anger, demanding an answer. "Answer me!"

The Creator, taken aback by these words, tried to calm her daughter. "Celestia, calm yourself! It's all part of the plan, my d-" She was suddenly cut off by Celestia, who was now shouting. "PLAN!? Plan for what? What is your ultimate objective? I'm sure it can't be good, what with you unjustly imprisoning your own creations simply because they disappointed you, not living up to your insanely high standards!"

"SILENCE YOURSELF!" The Creator shouted loudly enough for it to echo throughout all of Equestria, furious that her own daughter was talking down to HER, the creator of life itself, including those of her, her sister, and her oh-so-beloved subjects. Her wings spread out, possibly in some sort of threatening stance. "Continue talking to me like this and I shall ensure that your subjects suffer the worst fate imaginable, with you having to watch!" The Creator shouted once again. "After all, your subjects have had it very easy so far. Do not ruin it for them by making the mistake of angering me." Her voice has now quieted itself a little, but still sounds very ominous and threatening.

Celestia responded by changing her tone and the subject. "Whatever. Now, what is it that brings you here? You claimed you had something to show me, let's see it. Unless you came down here for the express purpose of trying to take control of me in my own castle, my own kingdom, and threaten my subjects." Celestia's head was held low. If her subjects weren't in danger of painful death should she retaliate, this scene most likely would have escalated into a physical altercation.

"Ahh, yes." The Creator began, happy to finally be off the subject regarding how she runs things. "Your father and Luna should be arriving any... minute... now..." She was fully expecting to be cut off by her brother's arrival in mid-sentence, because he, for some reason, just loves doing that.

Sure enough, a few moments after she said that, a dark portal opened in the floor to the left of Celestia's throne. The Destroyer and Luna exited. "Ahh, there you are!" The Creator exclaimed. "Excellent, now we can get down to business." She rubbed her hooves together and cleared her throat, which was somewhat hoarse from shouting so loudly.

"Sorry we're late." The Destroyer said, surprisingly in a genuinely apologetic tone. "I just HAD to pull one of my good old mind-rape tricks as a sort of...greeting to my second-youngest daughter.." Luna walked over to her sister's side as he said this, but after they heard it, their eyes widened in surprise and curiosity. "Second-youngest?" The both of them said, perplexed by the idea of having another sibling. "Yes." The Destroyer said, resuming his normal tone. "I believe your mother was getting to that..." He cocked his head in his sister's direction, signaling her to finally reveal the surprise.

"I was, indeed. Luna, Celestia.. meet your new sister." The Creator said, illuminating a ridiculously bright light that shone throughout the entire throne room. The light was so bright that it erased almost all shadows from the room, ruining Eternal Sleep's hiding spot. The Creator put out the light and immediately teleported her youngest daughter over to her, putting her in between her and her brother.

"This is Eternal Sleep." The Creator announced. "She was created as the deliverer of the souls of mortals from the mortal world. Essentially, she is the personification of death." Luna and Celestia's mouths dropped, their eyes wide in shock. "Why.. on earth did you make her a filly?" Luna asked, raising a pointing hoof at Eternal Sleep, whom was looking downwards to avoid the examining eyes of her two elder siblings.

"Ah, yes, that was my idea!" The Destroyer said, taking credit for his part in the design. "I did it for the sake of irony. A filly, one of the most harmless creatures known, is the true form of death itself! Hehehehe..." The Destroyer chuckled again, but then his face quickly resumed its natural position. "Unfortunately, she didn't necessarily turn out the way I wanted her to... she just.. doesn't take pride in her work at ALL! In fact, she absolutely detests it!" The Destroyer was shouting now, or at least coming as close to shouting as he can get.

His neck bent down towards Eternal Sleep, and gave her a harsh stare. "You're lucky I didn't just simply send you to Tartarus for the rest of your eternal life, you useless little waste of resources!" Eternal Sleep shrunk down inside, her eyes looking down at the floor to avoid her father's hateful gaze. "In fact, I oughta do that right now! Save everyone some ti-" Celestia immediately cut him off by extending a protective wing in between Eternal Sleep and her father, and repositioned his face to look at her with it. Eternal Sleep looked up at her eldest sister, at first surprise, then silent admiration and thankfulness in her eyes for a moment, then resumed her staring contest with the floor.

"That's enough!" Celestia exclaimed, furious at her father's unnecessarily cruel treatment. "I will not sit by and allow someone to be mistreated in such a manner, especially if the victim happens to be a sibling!" The Destroyer simply stared at his daughter, confused as to why she's standing up for Eternal Sleep. A chuckle escaped his lips. "Ooooohhh, you definitely inherited your mother's internal fire, didn't you? How appropriate for you to be the one who makes the sun rise and fall." The Destroyer backed up a couple of steps.

"I believe you are being a little too harsh on her, actually." The Creator said, not really phased at all by her brother's appalling treatment of her newest daughter. "She IS still only just starting out, after all. Perhaps she'll get a taste for it after doing it a couple of times." The Destroyer sat there and contemplated, confused as to how he could be considered harsh at all.

"Alright, fine. I'll back off of her for now." The Destroyer began. "But she BETTER get a taste for her job eventually, since, y'know, she'll be doing it for the rest of her eternal life!"

Celestia asked the question that's been on her mind since she first laid eyes on her newest sibling. "And where, pray-tell, do you intend on keeping her in between her attending to her duties?" Celestia raised an eyebrow as she brought the inquiry to their attention.

"Well..." The Creator began, her voice audibly unsure. "Perhaps we'll simply put her here with you. Her and her father don't seem like they're going to get along very well, and I am much too busy...." The Creator's voice trailed off, because she knows it's not that she's necessarily too busy as much as it is that she doesn't want Eternal Sleep around in her strictly-run abode.

"I think that would be best." Celestia said, narrowing her eyes whilst glaring at her father. "As do I." Luna said, following suit with her elder sister.

"Ahh, then it is decided, then!" The Creator declared. "Eternal Sleep shall reside with you, Celestia. At least for the time being, anyway. After all, she has a few jobs to do in Equestria anyway." The Creator walked up to one of the stained glass panes and examined it, as well as the others, as she was talking.

"Understood." Celestia and Luna both said. "Are we done here?" Celestia said, raising an eyebrow, getting quite sick of both of her parents' company. Eternal Sleep just stared at the ground all the while, which her two elder sisters noticed. She only raised her head/gaze to briefly exchange glances with one of her elder sisters, then immediately brought her eyes back down, as if she expected them to hit her for looking at them for longer than a second. Her father's instillation of fear has taken its toll after the brief period of training they had conducted before visiting Celestia's castle for this emotionally-charged meeting.

"Well, then, I believe it is time for us to make our exit", the Destroyer said, growing steadily aware of the mounting emotional pressure already about to burst in the room. "Ta-ta, everyone!" The Destroyer quickly made his exit via the same black portal he arrived in. Good riddance, his daughters all collectively thought.

"I should also be leaving as well. Goodbye, Eternal Sleep." The Creator said, looking down at her fear-struck daughter. Eternal Sleep did not even look up, even as The Creator left in a ball of white light. Celestia walked up to her youngest sibling, concern visible on her face.

"Are you alright, little one?" She asked, extending her hoof below Eternal Sleep's eyes to get her attention. Eternal Sleep winced backwards, as if she expected Celestia to hit her. Noticing this, Celestia tried to calm her down. "It's alright." Celestia said in a tender voice, bringing her closer to her at her side with her wing. "Nobody is going to hurt you, certainly not while I'm around!" Eternal Sleep finally brought her eyes up from looking down at the floor.

"That's it!" Celestia said in a slightly louder, more cheerful voice. "You don't need to have your gaze constantly plastered to the floor, dear. I won't bite you or anything of the sort should you look up at me!" Celestia chuckled in a good-natured attempt to show Eternal Sleep that she was allowed to smile, or at least show her emotions. Luna watched as this unfolded, thinking "That's my big sister, alright. Always willing to stand up for the weak and helpless, even when the oppressors are her own, all-powerful parents." A smile began to grow on Luna's face.

Celestia released Eternal Sleep, pleased to see that she's finally looking up into her eyes again. "Now, then!" Celestia began. "Do you know if you have to attend to your job immediately? Or did they not give you some way of knowing when and where someone is about to die?" Celestia was very uncomfortable saying the last part. It sounds so wrong to ask of someone whom she was just comforting about 10 seconds ago, even if it happened to be the personification of death itself.

"Umm..." Eternal Sleep began, somewhat unsure of whether or not it's alright to speak, even though Celestia directly asked her a question. "They gave me a means of detecting when someone is close to death. It's really scary, though! I don't like it at all!" Eternal Sleep's eyes widen to emphasize. "I hear a scream come from the inside of my head, and it sounds as if it's coming from a specific direction. The louder the screams are, the closer the person is to death. It's ridiculously unnerving!" Eternal Sleep began shaking at the very thought.

Celestia's eyes widened, as well, as did Luna's. "I... see.." Celestia said, visibly uncomfortable by this revelation, as was Eternal Sleep. Celestia pondered how cruel it was of her parents to put such a task on the shoulders of one with such a timid personality. "So you don't hear any screams, then, I'm assuming?" Celestia asked, lowering her head to see eye-to-eye with the filly before her.

"Nope" Eternal Sleep said thankfully. "Why do you ask?"

"Well, I was hoping we could play a game of some sort." Celestia said, thinking a game will help put her new little sister at ease and feel welcome in her castle. "A... game?" Eternal Sleep asked, entirely unsure of what a game even WAS, let alone an example of one, as she was never told such things exist until now. "What's a game?"

Celestia explained. "A game is where there are set rules in place, and two or more parties of at least one person participate in some sort of activity for the purpose of having fun." Celestia said, in a matter-of-fact tone of voice. "Ring any bells?"

"Ohhhhhh" Eternal Sleep said. "Like.. hide and seek, I think it's called?" Eternal Sleep raised an eyebrow, waiting for confirmation. "Yes, precisely!" Celestia said, resuming her cheerful tone. "Do you know how to play hide and seek?" Celestia inquired. "Umm.. does it involve one person hiding, and the other one seeking them out, and upon the event of being found, the one found begins to run away until the other catches them?" Eternal Sleep asked, almost certain that was it.

"Yes, exactly! Very good!" Celestia exclaimed. "Would you like to play hide and seek? I can assure you, no malicious intentions are involved. It's all in good fun! Just a little something to pass the time before you get to work." Celestia closed her eyes with a smile as she explained.

"Sounds like fun!" Eternal Sleep exclaimed.

They proceeded to play until the sun went down.